Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UT3 PS3 Mod FAQ

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PSNID: Herbyg

Default UT3 PS3 Mod FAQ

It would be awesome if one the epic guys came in here and told us how to add the PS3 mods to the game. I have tried every folder combination possible. Including the "Published" one for the PC version. No mod is recognized by the game. The manual does not specify the folder configuration.
    In addition, the URL provided at the bottom of the "My Content" page does not work it is a dead link.
    http://udn.epicgames.com/PS3Mods/

Also the PC guys are asking if they have to cook there mods to support the PS3. I have been trying with the mods as is and nothing is recognized by the game.
    I would love to edit this post reflecting what we need to do to add mods to the PS3 version.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hmm, sorry about the dead page. I'll get that looked into.

However, the PS3 mod tools aren't quite ready yet. We are working through some final legal/release issues.

When it's ready, you will need to download the latest PC patch and another PS3 Mod Tools "patch" that adds the full PS3 mod support to the PC version.

You will have to cook ypur mods for the PS3 specifically. You will also need removable media (memory card, USB drive, etc) to transfer the mod from your PC to your PS3.

We will have the tools ready ASAP!!

Josh
    Josh Adams | Programmer | Epic Games

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Okay, well the page is alive, but it just basically says to hold tight
    Josh Adams | Programmer | Epic Games

Seriously...
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: KriLL38

JoshAdams: you forgot the animated under construction roadsign .gif
    "Your effort to remain what you are is what limits you."

In other words... You guys are all liars, including Tanya Jessen.? http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/...hchchchaanges/

Why not mention this to everyone who has been pre-ordering the game looking forward to creating custom content?

Why not mention this when the ENTIRE time people have been looking forward to do exactly what you SAID the game will do.

Pretty much, you guys are falsely advertising this product. I'll put you u p there with Bungie. Saying that HALO3 was 720p.

Seriously..

You guys have talked up this feature so much, yet you don't even implement in in the LAUNCH game? NOR do you inform everyone via a press release that you CANT do what YOU"VE SAID IT COULD DO.

Do I need to repeat this again?

Gladly passing this one onto IGN/Gamepro/1up/Gamespot.. because this kinda news is just great.

Good job lying to everyone!!

Cheers.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blademask View Post
    In other words... You guys are all liars, including Tanya Jessen.? http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/...hchchchaanges/

Why not mention this to everyone who has been pre-ordering the game looking forward to creating custom content?

Why not mention this when the ENTIRE time people have been looking forward to do exactly what you SAID the game will do.

Pretty much, you guys are falsely advertising this product. I'll put you u p there with Bungie. Saying that HALO3 was 720p.

Seriously..

You guys have talked up this feature so much, yet you don't even implement in in the LAUNCH game? NOR do you inform everyone via a press release that you CANT do what YOU"VE SAID IT COULD DO.

Do I need to repeat this again?

Gladly passing this one onto IGN/Gamepro/1up/Gamespot.. because this kinda news is just great.

Cheers.
    To Mr. Drama Queen,

He said they're working out some issues. The game went live yesterday, calm down. Obviously, they've run into unforseen issues (as most programmers do), but at least a dev actually took the time to comment and make mention that they're working on the issues. Which is more than you can say for most developers.

At least give the poor team a week to work out the kinks.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: campbullard

I agree with blademask. What happened to releasing the game when it's finished?

So you're proposing we delay the game's release indefinitely because lawyers couldn't work out the rules for releasing the mod tools fast enough?

Skaarj

So, PS3 users won't be able to just download maps and mods from their PS3 ??? What if you don't own the UT3 PC version, then what ??
    PS3 Gamertag - Bulldog

You don't need the PC version to *use* mods, you just need it to *make* mods.

Skaarj

So, I will be able to download them directly to the PS3 ? Or will I need to download them to a PC and transfer via external media ? Or if I use Red Kawa's file server can they be transferred that way ?
    PS3 Gamertag - Bulldog

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterial View Post
    So you're proposing we delay the game's release indefinitely because lawyers couldn't work out the rules for releasing the mod tools fast enough?
    You fail. And you missed the point. 100%. Just blew right by it.

Epic needs to let the game community know. They already have my money and I'm sure many others. Its very simple.. Thats what I propose.

See all the sites Epic advertises on? Send PR's to them. Simple solution. But why do that? Yeah people wont buy the game initially thats why. So its the same exact situation as Bungie claiming their game was 720p, then knowing it wasn't still advertising it as so.

If Mark Reign and the Epic We-Love-Ourselves-So-Much crew didn't hype up this feature incessantly people would have NOTHING to say. It would be a "oh well thats too bad, but I look forward to the patch." However since its been one of the biggest things to hit the console market. MODS on your CONSOLE game, as Tanya Jessen bragged about.

I am a CUSTOMER who was told this option would be in the game, OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. Its not. And they aren't saying anything about it.

Why should I have to find out from the FORUM that it isn't in the game as EPIC said it would be?

This makes absolutely no sense, and its completely half-ass.

It is in the game. You just don't have any content to put in it. There wouldn't have been any content for it even if the tools had been released already, because mod authors wouldn't have made them yet. You're complaining just for the sake of it and you should stop it now.

Back on topic:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmorgan71 View Post
    So, I will be able to download them directly to the PS3 ? Or will I need to download them to a PC and transfer via external media ? Or if I use Red Kawa's file server can they be transferred that way ?
    You download them to a PC and transfer via external media.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Blademask, you do realise that there is nothing stopping you from getting started on your custom content now right? You don't need the PS3 version or the mod patch to actually make the content, and it takes a long time to make something good anyway. Most people will still be just getting started by the time the patch is out.

My suggestion is to stop being such a crybaby and just get to work.

Banned

It is in the game. You just don't have any content to put in it. There wouldn't have been any content for it even if the tools had been released already, because mod authors wouldn't have made them yet. You're complaining just for the sake of it and you should stop it now.

Back on topic:

Hi Mysterial,

Can you or one of your colleagues post a response in this thread please?

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=591842

We all spent our hard earned money on this game, and a lot of us feel deceived.

You guys need to speak up and rectify this situation.
    Last edited by BBNJ23; 12-11-2007 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Blademask, you do realise that there is nothing stopping you from getting started on your custom content now right? You don't need the PS3 version or the mod patch to actually make the content, and it takes a long time to make something good anyway. Most people will still be just getting started by the time the patch is out.

My suggestion is to stop being such a crybaby and just get to work.
    I am one of the few people that have actually BOUGHT the PC version and the PS3 version.

Its irritating. Yes we have to wait, but it wouldn't have been such a kick in the knee if they announced it.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: McBrightside

Cheers.
    Quite honestly, you are a very rude person.

I wouldn't sell you a copy of UT3 if I was in charge of wherever you bought your copy...

MSgt. Shooter Person

Its irritating. Yes we have to wait, but it wouldn't have been such a kick in the knee if they announced it.
    It is a bit irritating, but I don't think it's a huge deal. I also have the PC version (Collector's Edition) and I'll be getting the PS3 version soon specifically for the modding capabilities, so I'm right there with you.

It's just that I won't have anything polished enough that I'm willing to release for a couple months at least, so this little delay isn't likely to effect me. I do want to cook out a PS3 version every once in a while to make sure I'm not using too much memory though, so I hope it doesn't take more than a week or two to get this sorted.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lbartley

Indefinitely meaning potentially forever.

I believe what is being commented on is the fact that the mod feature on the PS3, undeniably the biggest selling point, is currently useless, and may never gain function due to legal junk.

That's what's suggested by "indefinitely"...

I was quite disheartened to see that the http://udn.epicgames.com/PS3mods/ URL netted me a lovely 404 when I tried to check it as well...

Iron Guard

will we be able to take mods and cook them for our ps3s if we didn't make them?
    Intel Q6600@ 2.4ghz (eventually 3.1ghz), watercooled
    EVGA Geforce 9800 gx2
    EVGA 780i
    7200rpm 750gb hdd

And yet I only have ut3 for ps3

so this is a problem? how many of you have a map ready I mean a good PS3(SIXAXIS, 20% reduced speed of gameplay) map I'm not realy into this mod thing but with Unreal Editor I thought I'll give it a try and I think it'll take me more time to make a good map than it'll take Epic make this patch so as long as I can play with SIXAXIS in my TV it's cool

MSgt. Shooter Person

Back on topic:

will a (video) ipod work as an media storage device? i think it will but can anyone confirm?

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Is it going to be at all possible to cut the PC transfer out of this equation? possibly by downloading directly on the PS3 by way of it's web browser?
    Last edited by Lbartley; 12-12-2007 at 07:51 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Skill View Post
    will we be able to take mods and cook them for our ps3s if we didn't make them?
    Probably, Only if you have the PC version of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Avto View Post
    so this is a problem? how many of you have a map ready I mean a good PS3(SIXAXIS, 20% reduced speed of gameplay) map I'm not realy into this mod thing but with Unreal Editor I thought I'll give it a try and I think it'll take me more time to make a good map than it'll take Epic make this patch so as long as I can play with SIXAXIS in my TV it's cool
    The people that make the maps have nothing to do with the way it plays on a PS3. The conversion process in the editor is the one that handles the way it play on the PS3. And right now there is no way to do that conversion. Look at the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Jook View Post
    will a (video) ipod work as an media storage device? i think it will but can anyone confirm?
    Yes it should. Any USB mass storage device that is formatted Fat will be recognized by the PS3. And if your PS3 has flash memory card slots you can use a flash memory card from a camera or PSP.

Quote Originally Posted by Lbartley View Post
    Is it going to be at all possible to cut the PC transfer out of this equation? possibly be downloading directly on the PS3 by way of it's web browser?
    You can test this now by trying to download the maps available on this site using your PS3. I can test it later.

MSgt. Shooter Person

No, we're not.
    A few impatient kids are.

But admittingly, there are quite A LOT problems with this "final release version".... not only legal ones....
    But then again, most are still patient and for the patches that will fix it all.... hopefully....

I'm confused as to why anyone cares that this isn't ready yet. It takes months for the good mods to start coming out, and the mods are going to be made for the PC version first anyway. What's the big deal here?

Prisoner 849

vash your obviously new here, there are already quiet a few good mutators and such and a few select maps that people want

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Hellcat View Post
    No, we're not.
    A few impatient kids are.

But admittingly, there are quite A LOT problems with this "final release version".... not only legal ones....
    But then again, most are still patient and for the patches that will fix it all.... hopefully....
    Yeah.

I would add that when someone buys an unreal game, he knows PATCHES will come, he knows extra CONTENT will come, and untill this point, it has always been for FREE.

Everyone whining for 2 years that the game should be finished and released. Well here it is. It is great already and as you can expect it will only get better.

Atleast thats what i know when i buy an unreal tournament game. I BUY it because i know lots of stuff IS going to come after the game is shipped and it can keep me busy for a long time.

The current released game version is quite good already. The menu coulda been better but AINT that bad and is optimized in the patch. Yes i miss assault and invasion, but one of them is being modded already as we speak. That is part of the package u buy. A good vision if u ask me. THe only thing that shoulda been in the standard release is the webadmin and linux server features. Other then that is what i expected.

I saw the same name guy "Blademask" in other gaming community site.
    And the guy I saw that site is pure Xbot

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Herby View Post
    You can test this now by trying to download the maps available on this site using your PS3. I can test it later.
    I wasn't aware that there were PS3 "cooked" maps available anywhere yet...

It would be awesome if one the epic guys came in here and told us how to add the PS3 mods to the game. I have tried every folder combination possible. Including the "Published" one for the PC version. No mod is recognized by the game. The manual does not specify the folder configuration.
    In addition, the URL provided at the bottom of the "My Content" page does not work it is a dead link.
    http://udn.epicgames.com/PS3Mods/

Also the PC guys are asking if they have to cook there mods to support the PS3. I have been trying with the mods as is and nothing is recognized by the game.
    I would love to edit this post reflecting what we need to do to add mods to the PS3 version.
    Your joking right rigghht...

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Dutch JaFO

I say we load all lawers in one big rocket and then aim it at the sun ... that should solve quite a few problems at once
    // ---
    Considering that there are/were plenty of mod-teams that tried to start mods when UT3 wasn't even close to being released this delay due to legal issues is not a big deal.

Should we really blame Epic, because some people started development *before* they even knew that whatever they were planning was possible ?

You don't sell the skin, before you shoot the bear.
    So be patient, wait until you've got proof that the tools required are available and start development at that time.

Heck ... only Microsoft manages to release tools *before* their new software is released and even then everyone using the beta-tools for the beta-version is aware that they can't really be sure everything works as advertised until everything is finalised.
    Q : Why ask Epic, when we can mutate the hell out of this game ?
    A : Because we need their help for the low-level stuff like a way to change the voicepacks for characters ...

And to everything else "Less Whining, more Fragging and Mutating"

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Joelisdaman View Post
    Your joking right rigghht...
    What am I joking about? Can you elaborate more?

I wasn't aware that there were PS3 "cooked" maps available anywhere yet...
    There isn't, I meant downloading files other than PS3 compatible Music, video, and picture files.
    When you download a file using your internet browser on the PS3 it automatically puts the file in a specific folder on the HDD, depending on what the file is. For example, .mp3 automatically gets downloaded to the music folder on your Ps3's HDD, or you can select a removable USB or media card.

Is it going to be at all possible to cut the PC transfer out of this equation? possibly by downloading directly on the PS3 by way of it's web browser?
    I read the manual a little bit more carefully and on page 39 it goes into a bit more detail about importing mods and Mod content.
    It says and I quote,
    Downloading Mod Content
    If a server is running Mod Content, the user will automatically download it when they try to connect to the match. The user does not have to accept any messages and does have the option to cancel if they do not wish to download the content.

That is pretty sweet if you ask me.

sure the "conversion process" is handled by the editor but the map has to be designed with console gamer in mind and they are a liitle different from PC gamers and I know this cuz' I'm a PS gamer so making a map popular with us will take some new ideas so take your time and well thank you to all who intend to make mods for us

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Deejay Knight PSN ID: DeejayKnight

Quote Originally Posted by aston12 View Post
    Yeah.

I would add that when someone buys an unreal game, he knows PATCHES will come, he knows extra CONTENT will come, and untill this point, it has always been for FREE.

Everyone whining for 2 years that the game should be finished and released. Well here it is. It is great already and as you can expect it will only get better.

Atleast thats what i know when i buy an unreal tournament game. I BUY it because i know lots of stuff IS going to come after the game is shipped and it can keep me busy for a long time.

The current released game version is quite good already. The menu coulda been better but AINT that bad and is optimized in the patch. Yes i miss assault and invasion, but one of them is being modded already as we speak. That is part of the package u buy. A good vision if u ask me. THe only thing that shoulda been in the standard release is the webadmin and linux server features. Other then that is what i expected.
    I think this post has to be the best one of the thread.

Beyond all the bickering being done by some, there are people that realize that there could be MUCH worse things to worry about. The game is FUN. If you can't see that much first off, you might be better off visiting another forum.

Also, if they need a bit more time to get everything working properly then give it to them. They already put in extra work to get the game to US on time. We have it, and the fixes aren't enough to start *****ing at the very same developers that got it to us in the first place.

A little civility in your wording makes light years of difference. Try it out sometime.
    Editor-In-Chief / Owner: GAMINGtruth.com
    Gamertag: Deejay Knight
    PSN: DeejayKnight

MSgt. Shooter Person

I can understand the one guys complaints... also having mods and trying to figure out how to cook them for ps3 for the past few days sux when it's not even there when it is supposed to already be there..

but yes i understand we live in the day and age of release stuff fast then fix with updates and im ok with that even though i like using that line...

I also have no doubts Epic will get us up and going asap..

The whole sad part of how this was poorly handled by Epic is the fact that people buy the PS3 version and they have to be informed by gamers that hey the link that you say to use doesn't work etc.. then you finally get answers...

could have been handled much better especially how this is a huge push with the PS3 version...

I'm not upset just thought it could have been done better.. but hey i am loving the game for now... damn if voice chat wasn't so f'd up

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Avto View Post
    sure the "conversion process" is handled by the editor but the map has to be designed with console gamer in mind and they are a liitle different from PC gamers and I know this cuz' I'm a PS gamer so making a map popular with us will take some new ideas so take your time and well thank you to all who intend to make mods for us
    I disagree Avto. Why does there have to be a special design of the map for the console gamer to enjoy it. The engine will handle the controls but the person making the map doesn't have to make a design specifically for the console. I don't see why it would matter. I can't wait to play Bedroom, it looks like it will be a blast.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PSN Darth-Krayt

Yea from what I've put together (info-wise) the maps made for PC work perfectlt on PS3, well they will when the "export to PS3" thing is fixed. And even now PS3 maps CAN be made, but only specifically for the PS3, not made for PC then exported to PS3. But when that is fixed ALL the PC mods will work on PS3. At least that is what I have deduced in that statement about the problem with "exporting to PS3" I could be wrong tho.

Now if Mystereal could give an answer on THIS it would be great. When mods start coming out. Do they have to be in a specificly named folder on my Memory stick ProDuo? or can the be anywhere on it. The reason I ask is I want to know if I can find a mod on a website on my PS3 browser, download the file directly to the ProDuo them boot up UT3, and import it? I don't have a PC, ya see? My PS3 IS my PC.
    PSN ID- Darth-Krayt

Monster Hunter, Mortal Kombat vs DC, Unreal Tournament 3, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Ghostbusters, The Eye of Judgment, Killzone 2, Sacred 2 Fallen Angel, Gran Turismo 5p, MGS4

What am I joking about? Can you elaborate more?

There isn't, I meant downloading files other than PS3 compatible Music, video, and picture files.
    When you download a file using your internet browser on the PS3 it automatically puts the file in a specific folder on the HDD, depending on what the file is. For example, .mp3 automatically gets downloaded to the music folder on your Ps3's HDD, or you can select a removable USB or media card.

I read the manual a little bit more carefully and on page 39 it goes into a bit more detail about importing mods and Mod content.
    It says and I quote,
    Downloading Mod Content
    If a server is running Mod Content, the user will automatically download it when they try to connect to the match. The user does not have to accept any messages and does have the option to cancel if they do not wish to download the content.

That is pretty sweet if you ask me.
    Honestly ya sound like two year olds all b****ing. why waste my time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast