Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Palace Guard

Lightbulb Preparing your map for publishing and distribution

Preparing UT3 maps for publishing and distribution.

Updated 2008-05-16 2:41pm

Links

These are direct links to additional posts in this thread for faster access.
    Cooking for PS3
    Stock Map Stats
    FixupRedirects Commandlet

Notes:

Be sure to update your copy of Unreal Tournament 3 to the latest patch.

1. bForceMipStreaming

The initial release version of UT3 has an issue with blurry StaticMeshes in user maps. Update your UT3 to Patch 2 to remove this issue.
    You should not be selecting all of your map StaticMeshes and setting the bForceMipStreaming to True. Setting bForceMipStreaming to True on all of the map content may have a negative impact as that function forces all texture mips to be loaded when the level is loaded, bypassing the dynamic mip streaming. On systems with smaller texture memory pools the result may be running out of pool space.
    People who are running the initial release version and are experiencing blurry textures should just set the Texture Quality to 5. On systems with video adapters as old as ATI X800's you should see no performance loss at a Texture Quality setting of 5.

2. Re-cook

UT3 Patch 2 fixes a number of issues with user created maps. Optionally, mappers may wish to re-cook and redistribute their previous map(s) after installing the patch update. The main issues this affects is texture mip streaming and terrain lightmaps.

3. Packages

Do not use additional external packages with your map.
    Place all custom content into the Map file itself. To do this, specify the map file name as the package name, eg. "DM-Mymap". After the first build and save of your map, the map name package will then show up in the Generic Browser.
    Although you might want to put custom content into another individual package, you shouldn't since if that package goes missing the map will not play on other people's systems.
    For mappers who are creating a large amount of custom content for a totally custom map and wish to keep this separate from the map file, place the custom content into only one external package file and use the name "<mapname>_Content.upk". eg. "DM-Mymap_Content.upk".
    Moving assets between packages can create a lot of issues as it uses 'redirects'. So you can break your map if you do this haphazardly.

4. Shader Model 2

Video cards that only support up to Shader Model 2 will have issues running the editor and playing most maps. The ATI X1000, HD2000 and HD3000 series and NVidia 7000 and 8000 series should be fine.

5. Some of the map settings presented below are not implemented in UT3 at this time. They are included here simply to cover all bases should those features be implemented by Epic in the future.

6. After publishing a map multiple times you may not get a new .ini file on a new publish if you delete all of the map's files from the CookedPC\CustomMaps folder.
    The content of an .ini file should be similar to this (replace DM-Mapname with your game type and map name, and the NumPlayers entry has been added here since it usually isn't created by default):

Code:
    [DM-Mapname UTUIDataProvider_MapInfo]
    MapName=DM-Mapname
    FriendlyName=Mapname
    PreviewImageMarkup=<Images:UI_FrontEnd_Art.GameTypes.DeathMatch>
    Description=None
    NumPlayers=2 to 8 Players

Start Here

These sections are meant to be completed in the order as shown on this page.
    Do not skip down to other sections unless you are familiar with what you are doing.

1. Create your map.
    By default the map .ut3 file will be saved in the "My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Unpublished\CookedPC\CustomMaps" folder.

2. Save often. An initial save of your map is required to have some of the automatic stuff happen within the editor.
    Be sure to name your map properly or you may run into various issues. This includes a valid game type prefix (CTF-, DM-, VCTF-, WAR-) and a valid map name. Map names should only be alphanumeric characters A-Z a-z 1-0 and - and _ with no spaces.

3. Always - always - always make backups of your map as you work. Do not rely on the AutoSave feature to always get you out of a problem.

Setting the Author and Title

1. Go to the View menu and choose World Properties.
    2. In the WorldInfo group, set the "Author" property to your name or nick, set the "Title" property to the title of the map. The Title property here should be your full map title such as DM-MyMap and must be the same as what you enter into the MapName line in the .ini file.

Note: These two properties are not used in the game interface at this time.

Setting the Game Type

2. In the WorldInfo group, set the "GameTypesSupportedOnThisMap" array to the desired game types.

Note: This will usually set itself to the defaults for the DM game types.

Setting the Reverb

1. Place ReverbVolumes as required around your map. This gives the flexibility of setting room acoustics for each map area.
    If you plan on only having the one setting, you can modify the World properties for reverb.

Setting the PostProcessing

1. Place PostProcessVolumes as required around your map. This gives the flexibility of setting post processing for each map area.
    If you plan on only having the one setting, you can modify the World properties for post processing.

Setting the World KillZ

2. In the ZoneInfo group, set the "KillZ" property to just below the map total play area so that anything that falls out of the world accidentally will get removed right away.

Note: the KillZ shows up as a red line in the editor that spans across the world in Front and Side views.

Adding the Music

1. Load the A_Music_Arrangements package found at "Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\CookedPC\Sounds\A_Music_Arrangements.upk" . Each music arrangement object looks like a bubble texture.
    2. Select the desired music arrangement for your map from the Tracks group. You can preview the music by playing the USound actors in the appropriate A_Music_* packages that will also load.
    3. Go to the View menu and choose World Properties.
    4. In the WorldInfo group, there should be a "UTMapInfo" or a "UTOnslaughtMapInfo" in the MyMapInfo array, this is usually automatically added when you save your map as a DM, WAR, etc. If not, add an item by clicking on the "v" button (small blue down arrow) and choose the Info type.
    5. Open the MyMapInfo.UTMapInfo or UTOnslaughtMapInfo group, add the desired music arrangement object from the A_Music_Arrangements package to the "MapMusicInfo" property.

Do a full map Build

We are getting ready to publish, so everything in your map should be finished and ready to play. This includes lighting, bot support, etc.

Click on the Build All button on the toolbar.

Do an initial Publish

This initial publish is just to get a copy of the map into the Published folder and to create the .ini file.
    You will still need to complete additional work on the original map in the Unpublished folder.

1. Click on the Publish button on the top right of the editor. A first run through will be done to create the additional required files for the map. Publishing will optimize the map for file size and load time.

There should now be a <mapname>.ini and <mapname>_LOC_int.upk file in the "My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps" folder. eg. DM-Mymap.ini and DM-Mymap_LOC_int.upk

The .ini file contains information on your map, the _LOC file is a localization (region) file.

Adding the Screenshot Texture

In this section, be sure to always replace the text shown here in brackets with the actual text you will use, in other words, <mapname> means to use the actual name of your map, such as DM-Mymap.

1. Start UT3. Choose your map from the in-game menu. If it does not show up, make sure you Published the map before doing this.

2. Take a screenshot:
    - Set the game settings to World and Texture of 5 for best visual quality, select a resolution of at least 1024x768 or 1280x1024.
    - Set the Weapon Hand to Hidden in the Advanced options.
    - Type "showhud 0" at the console to hide the hud.
    - Type "ghost" at the console so you can go anywhere in the map.
    - Press F9 to take the screenshot. The file will be saved in "My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Screenshots".
    - Load the screenshot in your paint software.
    - Adjust the brightness, contrast and intensity as desired.
    - Resample the screenshot to 512x256.
    - Save the screenshot to a .bmp or .tga file named as "map-pic-<mapname>.bmp" or "map-pic-<mapname>.tga" eg. "map-pic-dm-mymap.tga".

Note that you can use an alternate name for the screenshot, such as MyScreenshot.bmp or whatever, the above is just following Epic's naming conventions.
    Note that you may have to edit the screenshot in photo software to raise the gamma or change the tone curve. Any near-black pixels between 0 and 32 may show as transparent in the game interface and allow the red interface background to show through, appearing as tiny red pixels all over the screenshot.

3. Import the screenshot into your map package. Do not use a separate package for this.
    - Start UnrealEd.
    - Open your unpublished map file.
    - Import the screenshot texture into your map, specify Package = <mapname> eg. "DM-Mymap", and Group = "MapPic", and Name = "map-pic-<mapname>" eg. "map-pic-dm-mymap".
    Note that you can use an alternate Group and Name, those specified above are just to maintain the same naming system as Epic's maps.
    - Set "CompressionNoAlpha" to True, set "CreateMaterial?" to True, set "Lighting Model" = MLM_Unlit, set "LODGroup" to TEXTUREGROUP_UI and set "RGB To Diffuse" to True.
    - After the texture is loaded, right-click on it in the Generic Browser and choose Texture Viewer and set the NeverStream property to True.
    - A new Material should be created in your map package's MapPic group. It will look like the default checkerboard texture in the Generic Browser.
    - Rename the material to "MAT_map-pic-<mapname>" (ie. put the MAT_ in front of the name) and right-click and edit the material, move the Texture Sample device so that the material has changed and click on the left green check button to Apply Changes. The material should now look totally black in the Generic Browser, this is because it is unlit.
    - Select a hidden CSG Surface somewhere in your map and apply the material. Alternately, add a simple unused StaticMesh and apply the Material to the StaticMesh Material override property. This retains a copy of the material and your screenshot texture in your map package, which would otherwise be flushed out on the next Save if it wasn't actually in use on some geometry.
    - Save your map.

4. Set up the ini file for the screenshot.
    - Edit the <mapname>.ini file that was created when you published the map.
    - Change the line:
    Code:
    PreviewImageMarkup=<Images:UI_FrontEnd_Art.GameTypes.DeathMatch>
    to read
    Code:
    PreviewImageMarkup=<Images:<mapname>.MapPic.map-pic-<mapname>>
    for example:
    Code:
    PreviewImageMarkup=<Images:DM-MyMap.MapPic.map-pic-dm-mymap>
    or
    PreviewImageMarkup=<Images:CTF-MyMap.MapPic.map-pic-ctf-mymap>
    Basically, just replace the package.group.name of the default screenshot (UI_FrontEnd_Art.GameTypes.DeathMatch) with your package.group.name (DM-Mymap.MapPic.map-pic-dm-mymap) of your screenshot.
    Of course use your actual map name and not "MyMap" as shown in these examples.

Note: the "<" and ">" must be surrounding the entire text string from <Images: to > with your text in between these.

5. If you have simply applied the screenshot Material to an already hidden CSG surface, then you can proceed to the next step. If you have modified the map to insert a StaticMesh or some other means of adding the screenshot Material, you may have to do a Build All first.

The MapName and FriendlyName

The MapName= line in the ini file will normally be the full name of your map such as DM-MyMap. This must be the same as what is in the map's WorldInfo.Title property or the map Description will not be displayed in-game.

The FriendlyName= line in the ini file is the map name used in the UT3 menus. This can be either the full map name such as DM-MyMap or it can be just the main name such as MyMap (without the game type prefix).

Specify the PlayerCount

2. In the MyMapInfo.UTMapInfo or UTOnslaughtMapInfo area, set the "RecommendedPlayersMin" and "RecommendedPlayersMax" properties. These are usually something like 8 min and 16 max but will vary depending on your map design.

Note: This method isn't implemented in the game menus at this time, so also do the following.

1. In the <mapname>.ini file add the following line "NumPlayers=<min> to <max> players".
    eg. NumPlayers=2 to 16 players

Save your map.

Adding the Map Description

The map description is displayed when you pause (Esc) and choose the Map screen during a game.

1. Edit the <mapname>.ini file that was created when you published the map.
    2. Change the line "Description=None" to the map description text eg. "Description=This is my l33t map!".

Note: The map WorldInfo.Title and the ini MapName= must both have the identical text, ie. DM-MyMap. If the text is different between these two, the map description will not display in the game.

Do the final Publish

1. Click on the Publish button on the top right of the editor. Publishing will optimize the map for file size and load time.

Distributing the Map

1. Create a Readme.txt file for your map that lists the map name, version, author, credits, and any comments you would like to share.
    2. Create a few Screenshots of the map in .jpg format preferably between 640x480 and 1024x768 sized.
    3. Zip up the Readme.txt, Screenshot .jpgs, and the .ut3 map file and its .ini and LOC_int.upk into a zip file of the map name.
    4. Place it somewhere ready for download.
    5. Downloaded .ut3 map files are to be copied to the "My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps" folder in order to show up in the game menus. If this folder is not currently on your system, you can safely create it.
    Last edited by DGUnreal; 11-05-2008 at 05:17 PM.
    DG - LCS - TerreSculptor blog - TerreSculptor wiki - Game Tools Developer - Indie UDK Game Developer - UDN Documentation

MSgt. Shooter Person

sticky this!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: pixel x101

Quote Originally Posted by -VT- View Post
    sticky this!
    second third and forth that...
    Now I've upgrading my card and its looking WoW I'm going to start my map. So thanks DG this will help loads.
    Myblog Find my works here.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thank You DG!! I have posted said info over at Unrealplayground to your credit as well.
    UT3 Mapping For Dummies PART I: Tut Links, Q's 1-20--->http://www.unrealplayground.com/foru...ad.php?t=48153
    UT3 Mapping For Dummies PART II Q's 21-30--->http://www.unrealplayground.com/foru...ad.php?t=48251
    UT3 Map Cooking & Publishing HOW TO:--->http://utforums.epicgames.com/showpo...96&postcount=1*Thank You DGUnreal @ Epic Forums.
    UT3 PART III Map Environments--->http://www.unrealplayground.com/foru...ad.php?t=48252

MSgt. Shooter Person

So there is no reason to finish or cook maps before the offical patch,
    many thanks DG for step by step how to set up map pic. This thread must be sticky
    PASHKO

Palace Guard

Quote Originally Posted by SKYFURNACE View Post
    Thank You DG!! I have posted said info over at Unrealplayground to your credit as well.
    I hope you linked to this page only, so that as I make any updates here it won't be different over at UPG.

Quote Originally Posted by nenad pazanin View Post
    So there is no reason to finish or cook maps before the offical patch
    Depends on whether you want people to play your maps now or not.
    Re-cooking is quick and simple.
    DG - LCS - TerreSculptor blog - TerreSculptor wiki - Game Tools Developer - Indie UDK Game Developer - UDN Documentation

MSgt. Shooter Person

i will fix that for my sig, and i linked this post @ UP.
    UT3 Mapping For Dummies PART I: Tut Links, Q's 1-20--->http://www.unrealplayground.com/foru...ad.php?t=48153
    UT3 Mapping For Dummies PART II Q's 21-30--->http://www.unrealplayground.com/foru...ad.php?t=48251
    UT3 Map Cooking & Publishing HOW TO:--->http://utforums.epicgames.com/showpo...96&postcount=1*Thank You DGUnreal @ Epic Forums.
    UT3 PART III Map Environments--->http://www.unrealplayground.com/foru...ad.php?t=48252

MSgt. Shooter Person

first off - thanks for this little tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by DGUnreal View Post
    Preparing UT3 maps for publishing and distribution.2. Re-cook Inevitable

Gamers, Mappers, and Server Admins should be prepared to re-download all maps again after the first patch. Maps will have to be re-cooked.
    you are referring to that bug that deleted everything in the custom maps folder, right?
    Damn you, quantum physics!

Visit my Portfolio

Default Clarification?

Thanks for the tutorial.
    However, I am having trouble adding music.

I open the UTINFO and see the MapMusicInfo selection - but when I click on the arrow to "Use Current Selction in Browser".. nothing happens.

I have the browser open with (example) A_Music_Strident selected and A_Music_Strident_Supense01 highlighted.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

PS - Your tutorial mentioned a "Tracks" group, but i only see "Sound", "Sound Waves" and "Sound Cues". I do get the music playing in "Sound Wave" by right clicking an play on th individual objects in thebrowser.

Palace Guard

Quote Originally Posted by nELsOn View Post
    you are referring to that bug that deleted everything in the custom maps folder, right?
    No, the issue with staticmesh mips.

Quote Originally Posted by jureidinim View Post
    I am having trouble adding music.

I open the UTINFO and see the MapMusicInfo selection - but when I click on the arrow to "Use Current Selction in Browser".. nothing happens.

I have the browser open with (example) A_Music_Strident selected and A_Music_Strident_Supense01 highlighted.

PS - Your tutorial mentioned a "Tracks" group, but i only see "Sound", "Sound Waves" and "Sound Cues". I do get the music playing in "Sound Wave" by right clicking an play on th individual objects in thebrowser.
    If nothing happens when you click the "Use ..." arrow button, then that means you have the wrong object type selected in the Generic Browser.

Carefully re-read the tutorial steps again.
    A_Music_Strident is not in the A_Music_Arrangements package.

You must select an actual arrangement object in the A_Music_Arrangements package and assign that to the MapMusicInfo.
    So in your case, you would use the A_Music_Strident_A object in the A_Music_Arrangements package.

Green_Day_584

awesom man

sticky this!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Day_584 View Post
    awesom man

sticky this!
    +1

Re-cooking is quick and simple.
    How do you cook just an external textures package? The original was only 40 megs. The new one is now 122+. Why such a big size difference for the exact same content?
    "When it's done." - Rrriiiggghhhttt!

Case: Antec Performance One P190+ Motherboard: EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 780i Power Supply: 2 x ABS Tagan ITZ1300 CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Memory: 8 Gigs Mushkin DDR2 1000 Video: 2 x EVGA 8800GT Super Clocked / BFG PhysX Card Sound: Creative X-FI Extreme Gamer / Logitec Z-5500 Speakers Display: 2 x BenQ FP241 24" LCD

Banned

I'm currently working on a DOM map so this info will come in handy. Thanks.

Palace Guard

Quote Originally Posted by MrCobra View Post
    How do you cook just an external textures package? The original was only 40 megs. The new one is now 122+. Why such a big size difference for the exact same content?
    You should keep everything in the map file, especially if the textures are specific to that map. There is no reason not to do that, it's just more files and more housekeeping. If you plan on using that same texture package for other maps, you can't update it once the first is released or you can run into versioning problems.

ut3.exe cookpackages <package_name>

Original what? Original UT3 package?
    Textures retain the source .tga/.bmp until cooked, so the package is always large when uncooked.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by jureidinim View Post
    Thanks for the tutorial.
    However, I am having trouble adding music.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Actually DG should add in that you need to sort with 'UTMusic" not "Sound" for the generic Browser.

load the package he asks you to load, then click "UTMusic" filter box in the generic browser. The tracks then all show up in that package. click one (highlight), then choose "use from source" in the world properties, UTmapinfo menu.

MSgt. Shooter Person

You should keep everything in the map file, especially if the textures are specific to that map. There is no reason not to do that, it's just more files and more housekeeping.
    Not a problem there. It's a shared textures and materials library.

If you plan on using that same texture package for other maps, you can't update it once the first is released or you can run into versioning problems.
    It will never be updated once the materials are good to go.

ut3.exe cookpackages <package_name>
    Thanks!!

Original what? Original UT3 package?
    UT2K4 texture package. I created normal maps for everything & speculars for the things that needed them.

Textures retain the source .tga/.bmp until cooked, so the package is always large when uncooked.
    I didn't know that. I had assumed that since they were listed as DXT1 & DXT5 in the generic browser that they were already compressed. It just seemed strange that the same content (well, just a bit more added) would take so much room as compared to the original UTX package.

Anyway, thanks for your time to answer my question and for giving the feedback. It's appreciated.
    "When it's done." - Rrriiiggghhhttt!

Case: Antec Performance One P190+ Motherboard: EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 780i Power Supply: 2 x ABS Tagan ITZ1300 CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Memory: 8 Gigs Mushkin DDR2 1000 Video: 2 x EVGA 8800GT Super Clocked / BFG PhysX Card Sound: Creative X-FI Extreme Gamer / Logitec Z-5500 Speakers Display: 2 x BenQ FP241 24" LCD

Palace Guard

Actually DG should add in that you need to sort with 'UTMusic" not "Sound" for the generic Browser.

load the package he asks you to load, then click "UTMusic" filter box in the generic browser. The tracks then all show up in that package. click one (highlight), then choose "use from source" in the world properties, UTmapinfo menu.
    The A_Music_Arrangements package only contains UTMapMusicInfo objects, so there is no need to filter. Simply open this package, select the MusicInfo you want, and assign it to the appropriate World property.

It is only if you start looking in the other music packages that you see the Sound objects. You only need to go there if you want to preview the song snippets, as mentioned in my post.

MSgt. Shooter Person

i had to filter sort mine, i had both showing up in the browser.

Palace Guard

That is odd. My A_Music_Arrangements package only contains UTMapMusicInfo objects.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: McBrightside

Dangit. No matter how many times I've tried to get a preview picture to work, success still eludes me..

Is there anyone here who has successfully implement a preview picture that can take a look at my map & ini and see what I'm doing wrong?

MSgt. Shooter Person

That is odd. My A_Music_Arrangements package only contains UTMapMusicInfo objects.
    Yes, but when i load the editor, it autoloads "sounds" and even after i load the package, i must manually check the "UT Map Music" Filter to see them in the browser.... Maybe i am just using the browser wrong or in a different way.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I don't see this stickied yet, it need to be stickied, it's just what any mapper wants to read all in 1 place.

Question

Hmm, I have some trouble adding the map description. The preview pic works fine, but the description just doesn't show up. (You are supposed to see the description in the in-game menu under "Game", am I right there?)

This is what I put into my ini file for testing purposes:
    [DM-Xaero UTUIDataProvider_MapInfo]
    MapName=DM-Xaero
    FriendlyName=Xaero
    NumPlayers=4 to 12 players
    PreviewImageMarkup=<Images:resources_xaero.Preview >
    Description=My 1337 description

Palace Guard

*edit*

It appears that the Description entry works for some but not for others.
    I am trying to determine why it does this.
    Last edited by DGUnreal; 12-12-2007 at 03:13 PM.

Palace Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Jagnot View Post
    Dangit. No matter how many times I've tried to get a preview picture to work, success still eludes me..

Is there anyone here who has successfully implement a preview picture that can take a look at my map & ini and see what I'm doing wrong?
    What occurs when you try to add the screenshot?
    Can you successfully import the Texture, create the Material, apply it to a surface in your map, etc?
    Make sure that you use the Texture name in the .ini and not the Material name.
    You can also open the cooked map up in the editor and verify that the Texture has remained in the map file.

Yes, but when i load the editor, it autoloads "sounds" and even after i load the package, i must manually check the "UT Map Music" Filter to see them in the browser.... Maybe i am just using the browser wrong or in a different way.
    Do you have the A_Music_Arrangements package selected by itself in the Generic Browser?
    If you select multiple packages in the browser, it shows all of the content from all of them.
    Last edited by DGUnreal; 12-12-2007 at 03:19 PM.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: McBrightside

What occurs when you try to add the screenshot?
    Can you successfully import the Texture, create the Material, apply it to a surface in your map, etc?
    Make sure that you use the Texture name in the .ini and not the Material name.
    You can also open the cooked map up in the editor and verify that the Texture has remained in the map file.
    I have a feeling no-one will take me seriously after this, but, I accidently forgot the "P" in "Preview" in the INI.. Everything is working fine now..

Palace Guard

Bump. Mods don't like me I guess...

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks for this! it really helped me figure that level preview out.

One thing that I would add in distribution part(or maybe someone can explain to why people do this) is to NOT create a .rar/.zip with folders inside folders in it. It's really a hassle when you are uncompressing multiple files that all go to the same place and 2 or 3 are like that.

Palace Guard

I agree.
    People should not attempt to duplicate the cooked folder layout in the zip. The zip should just hold the map file and ini, optional readme and screenshots.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I seem to have a, erm..., unuasual maybe easy problem. I bought the editors edt, created my map, was able to export it and play it ingame. But in my editor, I dont seem to have a "publish" or "cook" option. My brother who bought and installed the normal version of UT3, says in his editor the publish button is to the right on the top toolbar next to build all. I dont have anything like that. Please help!

Palace Guard

It is not next to the Build All, it is four controls to the right of that.
    It's the toolbar button on the very right that looks like a fire/flame with an arrow through it, immediately to the right of the Play In Editor "black joystick" button.
    If you are running an old system with low-resolution monitor (probably 1024x768 or less?) it may be off the screen.
    Last edited by DGUnreal; 01-05-2008 at 11:53 AM.

I'd also like to suggest that any readme files start with the map name, like MyMap Readme.txt. Otherwise you get one readme overwriting the other in the map folder.

I guess I like to keep readmes around...

The zip should just hold the map file and ini, optional readme and screenshots.
    Except for Warfare maps, which also need an .ini in the Config folder for their link setups. I'd rather duplicate the folder structure for that. The world is full of people that wouldn't know what to do even if it was spelled out in the Readme.

Palace Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Xyx View Post
    I'd also like to suggest that any readme files start with the map name, like MyMap Readme.txt. Otherwise you get one readme overwriting the other in the map folder.
    I agree with you on this one, other than the issue that many of the comp/decomp utilities out there such as WinZip automatically recognize any file named "readme.*" in the archive, which is why I have it simply as "readme.txt" in the tutorial post.
    Usually I have two readme's in my zips, one for the gamer (Readme.txt) and another one along with screenshots for the hosting sites (<mapname> Readme.txt).
    Personally I just extract the required map file and I don't extract the rest in the archive so that I don't get all of the extra clutter on my drive, and I can always refer back to the archive to see the readme.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyx View Post
    Except for Warfare maps, which also need an .ini in the Config folder for their link setups. I'd rather duplicate the folder structure for that. The world is full of people that wouldn't know what to do even if it was spelled out in the Readme.
    Yes, this is a bit of a pain. I wish the link setup was integrated into the map like UT2k4, but it was moved outside most likely to allow modification post-cooking.
    I've seen map zips that contain the entire empty unpublished and published folders layout, so unfortunately you will probably still find some people who don't know what to do with the link ini file regardless of where it is located in the archive.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Solevaliant

Is there any reason why this thread isn't stickied yet? The information here really is essential to mappers.

Edit: Oh, it's done now. Thanks to whoever took the time to do this.
    Last edited by Setheran; 01-09-2008 at 12:44 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanx DGUnreal, I found it. I should have guessed it after watching the tutorial videos where they also every now and then comments ons running a low resolution while making the movies. As soon as I went above 1024, I found it.

I am getting the following error...

Any ideas? I made sure I have the folders needed that you mentioned in your howto you wrote.

Palace Guard

There must be an issue with the My Documents\My Games\ path on the system. Make sure the full path is correct with no typos.

checked, double checked, triple checked, then drug the uncooked map over to the location it ends up in the cooked directory to reconfirm that it shows up in the game...which it does.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast