Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

I really like what you have done so far ... I did find a few things I thought I would just bring to your attention, but I am looking forward to the final. A nice big UT3 CTF map is just what I was looking for.

Anyway here are links to the issues and the photonames pretty much describe the issue ... but feel free to ask me for any clarification.

A little too dark for my test ... how about some cool lighting and maybe something else to spruce up this barren corridor.

There are plenty of blocking volume issues throughout the map ... make sure you test it thoroughly by doing some fly throughs.

How did I get out here in outer space so easily ... I feel like a Ghost.

Same issue just the other side.

Missing textures

The opposite side is also missing the same set of textures.

Seems like you might be using more floor textures than you really need to ... kind of distracting and not really sleek imo.

Is this what you want ... a lot of pattern mismatches?
    Last edited by AnubanUT2; 12-07-2007 at 04:45 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

A couple of thoughts. I think you've done the scale acceptably well but I think it would've benefited from a slight scale increase.
    Did you know you could reach almost all of the places in the 2k3 map by jumping alone? This was quite a big factor in the map for me (until they nerfed the boost dodge) so I'd like to think you had recreated some or put similar nuances of your own in rather than overlook stuff like this that made this map what it was for a lot of people.

Loads of promise in this map, well done but please make an almost done beta before release. I already have a few changes I hope you can make which are quite important for the ig flow of this map. I'll try to illustrate them asap, cheers.
    Last edited by Giblet; 12-07-2007 at 07:03 AM.
    Tunes
    when I see your eyes arrive
    they explode like two bugs on glass

MSgt. Shooter Person

http://hkant.de/UT3/CTF-Orbital2007-PreRelease.zip

Look for bugs and tell me, so I can remove them for the final release :P

Here you are, everything should be working. :-)
    Last edited by NEcRo-; 12-07-2007 at 08:45 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thank you very much!

Downloaded..

MSgt. Shooter Person

Ok, it's looking and playing really well though I've found at least one place you can easily fall through the floor, get back in again or drop down to the lower part of the map. I've taken a lot of screenies so I'll doctor them and point out some things. No other showstoppers I can see yet, just a some flaws I've found.

http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/...88915112640568
    Image 2 here shows the boxes that need some collision revision. It also shows where you used to be able to get up. The boxes are a substitute but only if they're not frustrating.

Image 3: I like this area accessable with a lift jump, the little box has no collision.

Image 4: Dead centre of the map, Boxes need new collision and you can scoot around the boxes on one side of the map but not the other.

Image 5: You used to be able to get up here. One of the biggest oversights imo.

Image 6: There used to be a little static lip here with a few half decent uses, I'll missit if no one else does.

Image 7: No comment

Image 8: In a few places the arrows go into the walls.

Image 9: Dodge doesn't get you over this any more but double jump can. Has the same effect, it's even better now if anything.

Image 10: Just an idea but have you thought about making the slime injure or kill the player?

http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/...38910736244925
    Image 1: This lift used to be faster, it was never fast enough but you should time it the same.

Image 2: Directly below the crosshair is where you fall through the floor. Also on this shot is my favorite flag camping spot. It was so obvious that enemy would invariably walk straight past you and their brain would refuse to accept you were there. To access this in UT2004, jump on to the pipe holding crouch and you can sidle along the pipe but can't get down unless you go back. If you get shot, the flag would stay sometimes and much hilarity would ensue. Awesome spot, probably the best in the game imo. Don't know if you can recreate this one though but at least try it with the flag in UT2004. Bizarre. (You've got to put this back, just to see people not registering you)

Image 3: This is quite important. Hard to double jump up this one but now impossible? The bain of many an FC if he didn't jump properly. It serves an essential purpose as an FC in ig when the enemy have the area and lift covered, it's your only hope.

Image 4: Where you can get back in to the map after falling through the floor above. Only getting back in on one side of the map I think.

Image 5: In the floor.

Image 6: Where you fall through.

One more pic to come and I'm out of time till Monday. GL.

http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/...50042217270669
    This has to be it. Bad collision here. If I had more time I'd have another look but alas.
    Last edited by Giblet; 12-07-2007 at 11:23 AM.
    Tunes

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks a lot, Ive fixed all of your points :-)

Looking forward to full release which hopefully comes today. Please tell me you did not take the suggestion above about the slime hurting the player at low shock. =p
    UnrealNA CTF Moderator
    Prounreal Moderator
    Visit us in IRC #UT3CTF #UT3TDM
    [UnrealNA.com]:TranzTrix 12-Player Chicago Pub

MSgt. Shooter Person

The slime is purely visual.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Here is the link for the final version. :-)

http://omlette.tek-lab.de/UT3/CTF-Orbital2007.zip

MSgt. Shooter Person

Tested the map out , everything was fine but you are not going to do a thing about the lifts?
    They are black and it makes the map look bad

MSgt. Shooter Person

Im playing with max detail and they are not black

They show up black for me also, I don't play on max detail either, it doesn't bother me too much. I have put the map on my server and its on redirect. Sadly without compression it still takes quite a while to download 45mb.
    UnrealNA CTF Moderator
    Prounreal Moderator
    Visit us in IRC #UT3CTF #UT3TDM
    [UnrealNA.com]:TranzTrix 12-Player Chicago Pub

Question

i found some missing textures or should they be black ????

all i saw in the map were black not only this one

MSgt. Shooter Person

The lifts are indeed black, if you have dynamic lighting disabled, because the lights illuminating the lifts are dynamic and the lift is casting dynamic shadows.
    Last edited by NEcRo-; 12-09-2007 at 10:34 AM.

This is very nice.... covers the feeling of travel in space. omg i had to sign up just to say this?!
    a small observation; might be nice to have random shakes and sounds of meteors hitting the hull. either way this is a keeper. good job!!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NEcRo- View Post
    The lifts are indeed black, if you have dynamic lighting disabled, because the lights illuminating the lifts are dynamic and the lift is casting dynamic shadows.
    Well do you have to enable dynamic shadows manually because I have all settings maxed and I have never edited the ini and tampered with that setting before? It does seem strange that all of us are having this issue and yet all the other areas of the level are fine. Other than that the level is definitely much improved and is coming along fine. Still looking forward to the final I just hope the issue with the lifts gets straightened out.

Edit: I was running the old version sorry. The most recent version you put up is great ... I could find no errors with it this time ... I did a fly through and played it for about 10 minutes and I really enjoyed myself ... I will definitely download the final ... Nice job having a preview pick (you just need to add the player count) for this really nice map. I am certain this is going to become a keeper for a lot of folks and should see a good amount of action on CTF servers. The size is really good ... it does't feel too large or too small and that is what I really like about it. And also you really do provide excellent routes to the flags and you did a good job pathing the bots. Good job.

One question though: Are all the windows suposed to look like pools of water instead of regular plexiglass? If so okay I guess that is a design choice although I think regular windows would work better. The water effect doesn't work that well because when you get up close it looks to much like ... well ... water. Just wanted to bring this up in hopes that this is something you plan on addressing. Other than that the map is cool.
    Last edited by AnubanUT2; 12-09-2007 at 05:23 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Actually I wanted the windows to look like they are closed by a force field :X

MSgt. Shooter Person

i have to say, this is a fantastic job. visually way above the 2k3 version. did you make the midroom a little shorter? seems like it, and without dd jumps, probably better,
    the lifts are the same blue metalic grey as the rest of the flag room. like the adition of the boxes in the flag room so can have a hard, but 3rd way up.
    they skybox and forcefield windows are out of this world (no pun intended).
    i hopr to play this a lot online.
    thank you muchly!
    http://www.utmr.dk
    http://www.utmr2003.dk/index.asp/

USA UT2k4 iCTF and UTComp DM server 216.246.110.232.

xfire: tsthawkwind

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NEcRo- View Post
    Actually I wanted the windows to look like they are closed by a force field :X
    I kinda thought that but the effect does not come accross that way tbh ... I mean I people will be able to tell that is the intention but I think there is a better way to do it ... still they are unreal and they definitely don't detract from the gameplay experience. You really can't tell they aren't force fields unless you get up close and when you are playing a fast paced map like this you won't really notice it. Maybe if they had more of an electric shimmer when you get up close.

Banned

The lifts are normal on full world detail.. but that causes everything to become very blue-ish and darkish and is very hard to play on so i play with everything on lowest settings.

HIGHEST SETTINGS

LOWEST SETTINGS

MSgt. Shooter Person

As a side note, this is a new feature I added. If you have the enemy flag and you are leaving the base the lower way, you can now use the lift to boost you up the pillar and do a walldodge to the bio!

Banned

I really like the lighting in this map now ... yes it is dark but their is good use of lights. I just played a fast paced 4v4 bot match and the map plays so well. I didn't even notice the windows so whatever you decide to do is fine with me. Just hurry please and release this as a final. I really don't know what more you can add to it.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Actually I consider it final, its already played on several servers
    It says DONE in the thread title :P
    So if you have the one with the name CTF-Orbital2007 you got the final.

Banned

Cool. Thanks for the quality level.

Nice job! Someone should do a remake of the UT99 version.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hi,

- The map is too big (don't forget there is no more dodge + jump in UT3)
    - Eats a lot of fps (more than any other UT3 official map)

Just my opinion.

MSgt. Shooter Person

The official maps arent really impressive, since the are so smalll and crowded, theres more in your way to make occlusion work perfectly, and if theres one thing I hate, its crowded-rocket-only-maps.... :-)

MSgt. Shooter Person

I love it, great remake!

I do drop major FPS offline when I'm in base and I look towards the shock rifle area, also when looking towards the catwalk where the rocket is.

The lift pads are a bit weird being all black.

Other than that I LOVE the design and all the glass where you can see asteroids/space < really nice touch!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks a lot NEcRo-.
    Wish I'd had a bit more time before to add a few more things but adding my suggestions is much appreciated.
    If you do end up making another revision, (I promised my harshest critiques) here are two things I noticed:
    The large ground floor doors leading from the centre room could do with new collision.
    These jumps are still a bit hard http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/...25317159677953

I see what you've done with this http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/...52271352212775 and haven't had a chance to test it yet but nice one.
    I see you've done a job on the pipes too. Only time will tell their effectiveness compared to UT2004 but more laffs are looking promising with these. Good luck with your next map mate and thanks again.
    Tunes

The blue vials in the blue sniper rifle hallway are missing. Restarted my server just to see if it was a bug and they never appeared. They do spawn/respawn on the red side though. Anyone else notice this ?

MSgt. Shooter Person

You are correct, damn :X

Redeemer

looks nice...i remember playing that on UT99 and was a lota fun
    UT3 Name : Death Storm369

Also, the health underneath the rocket bridge on the blue side are missing. Just got done playing and was dodging rockets expecting those to be there ....and nothing

They are present on the red side though.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Probably will have to fix this in an updated version

When do you think the update will come out ? Don't wanna play it with the sides unbalanced

MSgt. Shooter Person

Ill finish it today

MSgt. Shooter Person

Ive updated the map, its the same download link with the same .zip name but the filename now is CTF-Orbital2007-V2.ut3

Banned

Necro,

It looks and plays amazing... I only found one weird quirk. The bots never want to get on the lift in front of the flag.

Cool thanks, great job Necro =)

Banned

Necro, I did find one major problem.

If a red team bot gets the flag, he gets stuck in the flag room and can not leave.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast