Default Gears won't install

When I try to install G of W I keep getting the following error message:

"Error applying transforms. Verify that the specified transform paths are valid. C:\Windows\Installer\{1170D24F-42B7-40CF-AA1B-6395CE562354}\1033.mst"

That's as far as the installer gets.
    Any ideas??

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Djambulat

No, no ideas.
    The Golden Team --- we're gonna f**k you up!

Yeah, Whoo, Bring it on, suckah, this my kinda sh*t!

MSgt. Shooter Person

we cant help you if you dont post your speccs.

First of all, this problem has nothing to do with the specs of the computer but to keep you happy:
    Core 2 Extreme X6800
    3 gig ram
    2 oc ATI 1900 vid cards
    Now, any ideas?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by socrfan View Post
    First of all, this problem has nothing to do with the specs of the computer but to keep you happy:
    Core 2 Extreme X6800
    3 gig ram
    2 oc ATI 1900 vid cards
    Now, any ideas?
    lawl yes im happy. you forgot to post your os,driver versions, but kthnxbye. gl installing rofl.

If this is called help, why bother coming here? Like I said SPECS ARE NOT THE PROBLEM!!!

I also received the same message:
    Error applying transforms. Verify that the specified transform paths are valid.
    c:\Windows\Installer\{1170D24F-42B7-40CF-AA1B-6395CE562354}\1033.mst

My problem differs in that I had the game running and loved it for a full month of
    night-time co-op on-line play. The game was installed on my secondary internal
    hard drive which failed. I eventually got a replacement hard drive, got rid of the
    error saying that the game was already installed and couldn't be uninstalled, but
    now can't get rid of this error message. The file the path wants does exist and
    is in the right place. So, what next?

I run a Pentium 4, 2.4Ghz
    with 1.5 GB of RAM
    Windows XP, Home Edition, Service Pack 2
    ATI Radeon X1300 card

Again, the game ran great until my second hard drive where the game was
    installed, crashed.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Lightbulb Try this...

Seems like the installer is complaining because there are leftovers of an old GEARS install...or that it can't find the .MST transform files on the DVD.

On THIS page I found out about the error:

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX104225

All that hoopla means that for some reason the "Gears of War.msi" file cannot find the .MST files in he root of the DVD.

There should be EIGHT .MST files named:

1028.mst
    1031.mst
    1033.mst
    1034.mst
    1036.mst
    1040.mst
    1042.mst
    3084.mst

Copy all these .MST files and the "Gears of War.msi" to the folder:

C:\Windows\Installer\{1170D24F-42B7-40CF-AA1B-6395CE562354}\

...and try the (un)install again.

The other solution is to use the M$ Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove old installs of GEARS from your PC:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...p_utility.html

This gets rid of old registry entries and should allow you to re-install.

Hope all this helps guys!
    Last edited by paulpsomiadis; 09-11-2013 at 03:35 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by paulpsomiadis View Post

<snip>

Hope all this helps guys!
    Good, constructive advice paul, you solid community member you! You do good work.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Exclamation untested...

My solution is untested, but it's what I'm guessing at from the technical documents I've read online...

Besides, if the users aren't going to do something - EPIC certainly isn't!

LOL!

Default Thanks for the advice

Thanks paulpsomiadis,

To get rid of the "transform error", I ended deleting the following:

- My Gears of War installation folder (default: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Gears of War)
    - C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\XLive (if you can't find it do a search for xlive)
    - C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Local Settings\Temp\ *.* (the contents of the Temp folder, not the actual folder it selves)
    - C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\My Documents\My Games\Gears of War for Windows
    - C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{1170D24F-42B7-40CF-AA1B-6395CE562354} This folder is hidden so you need to enable View hidden folders in Explorer in order to actually browse to it, in Explorer goto: tools\"folder options"\Show\Show Hidden files and Folders (something like that) and hit apply.

Then got into the registry with regedit and searched and deleted every mention of:
    - Games for Windows
    - xlive
    - Gears of war
    - WarGame-G4WLive
    -- 1170D24F-42B7-40CF-AA1B-6395CE562354
    -- 2B191DB9-C7AC-4F70-9036-E1BB1411FBD6

The game now goes through the whole installer initiation phase but is
    chocking on and "Error 1610: Corrupt configuration data"

I'm figuring that it has something to do with some registry reference still
    in there somewhere, so I'm trying to track that down

Again,
    Thanks

Default help will not install or autorun exe

i have a
    abit motherboard 3.60ghz pc express
    4 gigs ram
    diamond x1600 512mb ddr2 pcie slot x16
    2 300 gig hdd
    diamond 5.1 -7.1 soundcard
    win xp pro

it wont autorun when dvd is incerted
    went to dirt. tried auto.exe this error popup autorun.exe not valid win32
    tried setup.exe setup.exe not valid win32
    the same with all others i tried to install same error

can't figure out what is wrong , i have more than enough that is required .
    i also have run other game in the same like cryisi , blacksite ,stranglehold and other high spec. games with no problem . and microsoft anti no help , they wan't to change me for help .that sucks

help i needed
    thanks in advance
    Bluesman

MSgt. Shooter Person

Lightbulb Try this...

@Bluesman - there have been reports of faulty install DVD discs. Try the GEARS DVD in another PC...if it won't autorun in there either, go and get it exchanged at the shop you bought it from.

@Davidian - I borrowed the following post from the "Rome - Total War" forum...

***This solution might work for any program or game that presents the Error -1610: Configuration data is corrupt
    *** This is an Installshield error, dont ask me why...but this is the solution and I have tested it a LOT of times.
    *** This error is caused by conflicting entries in the registry.
    *** You will need administrative privileges in windows 2000 or XP to make this work OK? (Dont use the guest account for example)
    *** To get administrative privileges in your windows go to this link: http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108379
    *** First uninstall the troublesome software (in my case Rome Total War)

A) Clean your registry with an ad-hoc program, I recommend Tune-Up utilities 2006, its shareware and it makes a good job, here is the link:
    http://www.tune-up.com/ , use the option Clean up repair----Tune up registry cleaner, RESTART YOUR COMPUTER

B) Delete the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver from the machine, Believe me THIS is SAFE (AT LEAST SEND IT TO THE RECYCLE BIN IF YOU DONT TRUST ME! LOL)

C) Right-click on the installation file that you are trying to install and select Properties.
    The typical names for installation files are setup.exe, update.exe, installer.exe, etc.
    Your installation file can be found on the CD where you are running the setup from.
    In the Properties dialog, click on the Version tab.

D) Look at the File Version field to determine the version number of the IsScript engine you need:

D) Go to this link to download the ISScript engine you will need: http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108158

E) Install the engine you will need and restart your computer.

F) The best part....THE MAGIC!: Open a DOS BOX, go to the file or the CD unit that has the file to begin the installation and READ CAREFULLY the instrucctions. The SETUP FILE is an example, it might work with other names

Creating an installation log file
    ======================

/verbose : Generate verbose InstallScript engine log file (InstallScript MSI projects only)

For an InstallScript MSI project installation program, you can create a verbose InstallScript-engine-installation log file using the /verbose argument followed by the path to the log file you want to create. A typical command is Setup.exe /verbose"C:\IS.log". The log file generated can help you troubleshoot errors in installing the InstallScript engine on a target system. The /verbose option requires a full path to the log file, and not a relative path.

G) Goto the log file created, and near the end of the file , in the section showing the error that caused it to abort the installation search for smomething like this:
    'HKLM\Software\Classes\Installer\Products\B6BB246A D1AC2414D84D13C8F3D38C43\SourceList' (This example is for Rome Total war, but works for other programs), LOOK for the LOOONG alphanumerical chain, Copy and paste it into Notepad for example.

H) MAKE A REGISTRY BACKUP! and run Regedit.exe in the Windows folder and make a full search for the LOOONG chain you found, and DELETE every instance you found, repeat this until it disapears from the whole registry.
    By the way this is the internal code for the program that caused the error 1610.

I) Goto step A

J) Install The program and enjoy!

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU! and forgive my bad English..I'm from Chile.

Links to remember: http://support.installshield.com/kb/...icleid=Q107999

http://www.bluebeam.com/web03/suppor...s/tsa00002.asp

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee/forums...3/r/7391053563

http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108158 ////VERY USEFULL!!!!
    Last edited by paulpsomiadis; 02-19-2008 at 06:50 AM.

After moving the .mst files to the installer folder, I still got the same error. I temporarily deleted the folder, and then got the original error expect the transform paths have changed to e:\1033.mst.

Any help?

Quote Originally Posted by paulpsomiadis View Post
    @Bluesman - there have been reports of faulty install DVD discs. Try the GEARS DVD in another PC...if it won't autorun in there either, go and get it exchanged at the shop you bought it from.

@Davidian - I borrowed the following post from the "Rome - Total War" forum...
    Thank you for that information. It helped me reinstall this game. Hopefully I can get it working correctly this time.

It works...!! IT WORKSSS!!

Thx 2 paulpsomiadis for the information

Just open the regedit, find and delete all file/folder related to
    {1170D24F-42B7-40CF-AA1B-6395CE562354}

and delete all temp file on C:\Windows\Installer &
    C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\

or run program cleaner like CCleaner / Tune-Up Utilities

I Hope it could works on you

... but i ve a Runtime Error C++

Anyone can help?

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: OfTheWired

If this is called help, why bother coming here? Like I said SPECS ARE NOT THE PROBLEM!!!
    Um... first thing's first... this is peers helping peers, not EPIC helping customers... we aren't required to help...

Secondly, try paul's solution.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Lightbulb The guide...

Read my guide - the part near the top where it says to install the Visual C++ libraries...

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=596618

Banned

What if we need ISScript 12?

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: E Ticket619

Default Long Download

I just got a Dell XPS420 with: Intel core 2quad CPU Q6600 @2.4GHz(4CPU'S)
    5397 MB of RAM
    ATI Radeon HD3870
    Windows Vista Home Premium

It has taken 2 hours to download less than a quarter of the the total bar for installation. I didn't buy the game at a store I purchased the downloaded version online through the Gears of War website. Is this normal?
    Last edited by eticket21; 06-08-2008 at 10:37 AM.

hey paul ur idea worked man MANY MANY THANKS

Default i am here

"Error applying transforms. Verify that the specified transform paths are valid. C:\Windows\Installer\{1170D24F-42B7-40CF-AA1B-6395CE562354}\1033.mst"

Any ideas??

I think the file has something wrong in it. check it plz.

Any ideas??
    Having the same problem but with the File 1034.mst

Setup:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.4GHZ
    4GB of Kingston's KVR667D2N5/1G
    Asus P5N-E SLI with latest BIOS
    ATI HD4870 512MB with latest catalyst drivers
    WD WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA hard drive
    Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 with all the updates

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lt Redneck

lol...i enjoy people like you.

you come to a forum looking for help on a problem.....you act like a total jackass to the people trying to help.....in return they give you the wrong information.......f ucking your system up even more....well thats what i do anyways...

now...your op and driver versions you were asked for earlier is very important...without knowing that we dont know if its in the hardware or software, dont know if its a defect in the disk or just a missing update...so before you get all pissy next time try getting the information requested without being an ass about it.

sai was willing to help but i guess you missed it...your acting like a prick made him/her reconsider their help.

now for your attitude towards some of these people that tried to help may i say this...i pray your motherboard fries...taking your moniter with it.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Madcatz75

This sucks I have the 1610 error but I can't find ISscript12!

No matter what I did it still wouldn't work, and I got an error with another installation. I gave up on my Gears installation until now/ Here is what I did:

Step 1: I used CCleaner, firstly I fix the registry and cleaned that up and then I went to clean everything else, I even ticked the "Wipe Free Space" option, this took aound 45 minutes.

Step 2: I deleted the GOW folder from C:\WINDOWS\Installer

Step 3:
    1. Open regedit (start>run)
    2. Locate HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer - Now on mine the Installer string wasn't there so I created one.
    3. Now right click on the Installer string and selected the new 32bit DWORD
    4. Call it DisableMSI and leave it with the value of 0

Step 4: Still in Regedit you want to navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\ and delete the Gears of war entry. Once this is done wish yourslef luck and install Gears of War.

Also I apologise forr digging this old one up but I know some people will still encounter this error.