Default Quick texture question. . .

Hi everyone-
    I've mapped with UnrealEd for some time now and am eager to get my hands on the new iteration. But for one reason or another, I cannot figure out how to apply a texture to a wall. Go figure; I guess I'm used to the add texture button for UT2k4.
    Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasheikbo View Post
    Hi everyone-
    I've mapped with UnrealEd for some time now and am eager to get my hands on the new iteration. But for one reason or another, I cannot figure out how to apply a texture to a wall. Go figure; I guess I'm used to the add texture button for UT2k4.
    Any ideas?
    I'm having the same problem for the same reason. I'm embarrassed to say that I can't even apply a texture to a simple cube subtraction in the new editor. I've tried everything that I can think of but the old easy methods simply aren't working and I have nothing but NULL material references.
    I find it ironic that I can get my custom static meshes into the editor with no problems but can't even apply a texture to a surface.

Redeemer

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRingHalo View Post
    I'm having the same problem for the same reason. I'm embarrassed to say that I can't even apply a texture to a simple cube subtraction in the new editor. I've tried everything that I can think of but the old easy methods simply aren't working and I have nothing but NULL material references.
    I find it ironic that I can get my custom static meshes into the editor with no problems but can't even apply a texture to a surface.
    You have to use Materials now.
    It's not if they die. But how.

Iron Guard

Hey same here.

Cenobite, can you elaborate on the process? I feel I have exhausted things to try .

Alright, sweet. Any ideas on how I can use said materials? My mind reading skills are not up to par.
    Last edited by Rasheikbo; 11-23-2007 at 09:45 PM.

Redeemer

Alright, sweet. Any ideas on how I can use said materials?
    Open up Environments package then open whatever is in that package, check box for material and pick.

Material textures have green boarder around them.

Thanks. I kind of feel like an idiot now, but at least I can move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Cenobite View Post
    Open up Environments package then open whatever is in that package, check box for material and pick.

Material textures have green boarder around them.
    I just figured it out (materials) and came back to post on it but see that Cenobite had it covered. Thanks for the quick reply though Cenobite!

Thanks. I kind of feel like an idiot now, but at least I can move forward.
    Yeah I know how you feel, but in our defense textures & materials were all placed together in the same TEXTURE browser previously so it was a tad misleading. Good luck mapping!

Redeemer

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRingHalo View Post
    Yeah I know how you feel, but in our defense textures & materials were all placed together in the same TEXTURE browser previously so it was a tad misleading. Good luck mapping!
    Hey, it may be the only thing I know so far. Im a noob myself with the new editor...we have a lot to learn.

Palace Guard

Materials or Material Instances must be used to apply to various assets like CSG Surfaces, StaticMeshes (direct in the StaticMesh browser or in the individual object Material override), and even Terrain. This makes it easier to change/update an entire map by simply updating one base object. For example, you could apply a brick texture to dozens of wall surfaces, but then if you wanted to change something on the texture you might have to select all matching surfaces, whereas this way you can simply modify the Material itself and all surfaces using it will update.
    Same goes for Terrain which essentially is: Texture(s) -> Material(s) -> TerrainMaterial(s) -> TerrainLayerSetup(s) -> Terrain actor.
    Sounds as in Wav files are similarly defined through a SoundCue object which is then used in the map actors.
    DG - LCS - TerreSculptor blog - TerreSculptor wiki - Game Tools Developer - Indie UDK Game Developer - UDN Documentation

How do I open up the environments package??

Palace Guard

Hmm they made this ed a bit annoying tbh.
    Also why can i not min the generic window?
    Have to keep moving it out of the way or quit it.

Also i Hope we get more textures,as i dont realy see that many or am i doing something wrong.

Cryosis goto generic browser then pick materals then file open search for where you installed ut3 then in pccooked folder you should see environments folder.
    Btw dont get confused with the pccooked folder in my docs/your name/my game.
    When you kill 6 people in Unreal Tournament 3 it's "Monster kill", In Quake III it's "Excellent", in Counter-Strike Source it's "Kicked by console".

MSgt. Shooter Person

*cringes at thought of new editor/Uscript* hmmmmm... I WANT TO START (*cries because he's getting the CE for christmas*)
    Played Since UT99 Demo
    I <3 UT3 EPIC
    Scripting/Mapping for 2 Years
    UT3 Name = XighaX (VerteX was stolen )

Quote Originally Posted by DGUnreal View Post
    Materials or Material Instances must be used to apply to various assets like CSG Surfaces, StaticMeshes (direct in the StaticMesh browser or in the individual object Material override), and even Terrain. This makes it easier to change/update an entire map by simply updating one base object. For example, you could apply a brick texture to dozens of wall surfaces, but then if you wanted to change something on the texture you might have to select all matching surfaces, whereas this way you can simply modify the Material itself and all surfaces using it will update.
    Same goes for Terrain which essentially is: Texture(s) -> Material(s) -> TerrainMaterial(s) -> TerrainLayerSetup(s) -> Terrain actor.
    Sounds as in Wav files are similarly defined through a SoundCue object which is then used in the map actors.
    I have a related question: I am currently looking to decorate my terrain, and have found an appropriate swatch, but it's a texture. It even denotes in the texture's name that it is used for terrain, but I need a material to actually apply it. How do I go about creating a material from this texture so I can apply it directly to my terrain?

EDIT: Found my answer. Solution: http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3mated.htm
    Last edited by Meroin; 11-27-2007 at 11:40 PM.