Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Marrow Fiend

Lightbulb Ultron's UT3 Tweaks

Greetings, fleshlings.

I originally created this thread as a collection of tweaks for people to use to a) put a number of tweaks together to help those in need, b) show a more-optimized performance setup and an optimized quality setup than can be found in-game, and c) some useful tweaks that can help make the game a little more enjoyable for everyone. Well that was a month ago, I've learned alot, and I believe I should edit this first post to sort of consolidate what I can into it. The troubleshooting of issues in the last month have led to more solutions to numerous problems that have surfaced, so I will start this revised guide with those options.

Who is this thread for? Anyone who has problems running UT3. Anyone who wants to max out their performance _or_ graphics better than what they can do in-game. And anyone who wants to have a number of useful tweaks that eliminate some of the weird default settings of the game. I will also break this original post into two distinct ones, for easier reading, and to fit under the 20,000 character post limit.

But first, let's have a reality check.

Here are the minimum hardware requirements for running this game:

• 2.0+ GHz single core CPU
    • 512 MB RAM
    • Nvidia 6200+ or ATI Radeon 9600+ video card

If you have a system that barely meets these requirements, this game will be rough to play. In particular the video card is your weakest link.

Here are the recommended hardware requirements for running this game:

• 2.4+ GHz dual core CPU
    • 1 GB RAM
    • NVIDIA 7800+ or ATI x1800+ Video Card

Midway or Epic made a typo when they originally recommended an ATI X1300+ video card as one that is "recommended" to run this game. So disregard the "3" in that model number and pretend it's an "8" because a Radeon X1800 is roughly comparable with a GeForce 7800. The game is highly "GPU-dependant" which means it relies heavily on video cards to increase framerates. Also the game scales to multiple cores and CPU's by distributing threads between them.

-

Note: as of this writing I assume you have the UT3 1.1 Patch, and all my tweaks will assume you've gone through the in-game menu options first. For example you can make a ton of quality changes just through the Texture and World Detail sliders. Set them to 1/1 and you have a high performance build. Set them to 5/5 and you have a high quality build. What I suggest might help a little more to ensure you get a little better performance or retaining higher quality settings at all framerate levels. Those two extremes are closely reached through in-game setting changes.

The thing is, some changes you make in the configuration files of the game don't matter in some cases. In other situations you can make the graphics worse than they should be, because of how the game looks at how that changes where the Detail Sliders will end up. So I am taking a slightly different tack than the first offering of this guide.

-

There are 4 configuration files we will edit using a text editor like Notepad or Editpad. These can be found in My Documents\MyGames\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config.

They are:

UTEngine.ini
    UTGame.ini
    UTInput.ini
    UTWeapon.ini

-

I have four goals:

1) To give known solutions to many of the most common issues people have complained about.
    2) To show a high performance setup that allows players with older, lower-end video cards to play the game, and to help weed out technical issues by troubleshooting from a basic configuration.
    3) To show a super high quality setup that allows players to play with the best possible graphics, regardless of framerates.
    4) To fix a number of issues that many like myself do not like. This last section will have no real effect on graphics or performance, but might make the game more fun.

Another thing, nothing that I write here is above constructive criticism. If you have technical reason why anything I say is incorrect, please reply to this thread with any corrections.

-

--- SECTION I - TROUBLESHOOTING ---

Another thing, if you have an older Nvidia or ATI card, perhaps one that meets the minimum system requirements, but not the recommended ones, you might try one of these options, depending on your video chipset.

Edit your UTEngine.ini

For older NVIDIA cards:
    [Engine.ISVHacks]
    UseMinimalNVIDIADriverShaderOptimization=True
    bInitializeShadersOnDemand=True

For older ATI cards:
    [Engine.ISVHacks]
    DisableATITextureFilterOptimizationChecks=False

[SystemSettings]
    OnlyStreamInTextures=True

-

If you are experiencing lockups when playing cinematic videos in the single player campaign, and possibly other times. I believe this is set to default now with Patch 1.1.

[Engine.ISVHacks]
    PumpWindowMessagesWhenRenderThreadStalled=True

-

If you are experiencing lockups or crashing, do the following:

1) Disable OpenAL in-game.

2) If you are unable to disable OpenAL that without the game locking up or crashing first, then disable sound by editing your UTEngine.ini, launch the game to disable it, then re-edit the UTEngine.ini to enable sound again. Look for the following lines:

[Engine.Engine]
    bUseSound=False

and

[Engine.GameEngine]
    bUseSound=False

3) Uninstall OpenAL in the Add/Remove Programs control panel.

If disabling or uninstalling OpenAL does not fix the problem, or the crashing occurs while there is no sound, then try options to resolve video card or CPU-based issues.

4) If any other ATI card users are having that problem Enable the Support DXT texture formats in the 3D main side menu and under More Settings.

-

If you experience a crash while trying to load VCTF or WAR maps, and you only have 1GB of RAM, try upgrading to 2GB of RAM or more and see if the problem occurs again. One users has reported a simple RAM upgrade fixed the crashing he had on this issue.

You can Ctrl-Alt-Del and see how much system RAM is being used by UT3 in the Task Manager. It should be between 250-450MB RAM depending on map size and what's going on in it. But if it's much higher than that, or there is an issue with the game crashing if you run out of available system RAM, then a RAM upgrade will alleviate this issue.

-

If you are experiencing hitching, do the following:

1) Disable SLI or Crossfire if you have it enabled. Supposedly "AFR2" is the recommended SLI method with UT3, if you choose to use it.

2) Set your Texture Detail slider to 2 in-game.

3) Verify that your PCI-E bus is set to 16x and not 1x. Xeonshock reported that fixed his problem with erratic framerate issues.

4) Ensure you have the latest non-beta video drivers from Nvidia or ATI.

5) Edit the UTEngine.ini:

[Engine.Engine]
    bForceStaticTerrain=True

6) Uninstall your current video drivers, and then use a program like Driver Sweeper to remove all traces of older drivers, and reinstall your existing drivers. I also recommend CCleaner to perform other registry fixes after you run Driver Sweeper. It's good for clearing temp files and cookies as well as performing good registry fixes.

7) Set processor affinity in Windows Vista for the game to one core.

8) Launch the game with the -onethread option in the shortcut.

"C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe" -onethread

9) If you're on a multi-core CPU and Window XP SP2, try downloading this Microsoft update because Windows XP was not originally designed to support performance states on multiprocessor configurations, changes are required to correctly realize this support on multiprocessor systems. Windows XP Service Pack 2 includes the required changes to the kernel power manager. These changes make sure that Windows XP correctly functions on multiprocessor systems with processor performance states. Basically it's a power management fix for ACPI which throttles down additional cores and/or CPU's when a game is being played.

If you are getting poor FPS in Vista, disable your power saving options in your control panel as a troubleshooting option, as well.

-

If none of your settings are saving, it could be the game isn't creating the My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3 folder. We've seen this occur if you move the My Documents folder off of C:.

A solution has been to add -nohomedir to your shortcut launching the game. This causes all configuration files to be kept local to where you installed the game, rather than the my documents folder.

-

If you are experiencing problems with the installation of the program go HERE

Common error messages are there. As well as a search field where you can type in the exact number of the error message given, and it will give you a corresponding fix for it. Examples are:

Error: 1608
    Error: 1628

-

If you get a "d3dx10_35.dll" error you get after installing the game an attempting to launch the game for the first time, you need to delete all the dx dll files under the C:\Windows\System32 folder. Then you have to reinstall the latest version of DirectX.

-

If you are having Nvidia's nv4_disp problem:

http://www.christopherjason.com/arti...4disp-problem/

-

A fix for the "snow" issue on low-end ATI cards!

1) Download the latest Catalyst drivers

2) Go here http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool/ and simply follow their instructions.

-

For anyone with a Nvidia 6800 Go video, or similar chipsets on a notebook:

Nvidia does not support the graphic chipsets of many notebooks, so Nvidia drivers are based on a system called Unified Driver Architecture (UDA) which means all drivers are using one driver. However for some reasons, they just remove the support for installing those drivers for some cards, and mostly laptop-based GO cards.

Download the newest Forceware here and click on "Moddet INF" too. After downloading, extract the new patch in a directory on ur HDD and move the "Moddet INF" to the folder where u have extracted the Patch. OVERWRITE the old INF. Then install the patch. Maybe u will get a error, accounting the patch cannot find a file. Skip that and it should work.

If anything, http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ is a good notebook video driver site to visit.

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_ca...xp/mobility-xp is a good site for ATI notebook users. It has the latest Catalyst drivers for many notebooks with ATI Radeon Mobility chipsets.
    -

If the editor crashes when trying to launch it, disable Triple Buffering in your video card control panel, or RivaTuner for Nvidia cards, or ATI Tray Tool for ATI cards.

-

If audio tracks are not playing during the campaign videos, check to see if you have a codec like ffdshow that is running in the background, hijacking the audio playback. You can exclude the UT3.exe from ffdshow in it's options.

Also, if you have Xfire, disable it, as it can pre-empt the audio as well.

-

If you are only able to play locally, but not online, because the server browser does not show anyone at all, create a new account without any special characters in the login name, then try again. You must log in with a name that does not have any special characters.

-

If you are having problems staying online, disable your hardware firewall on your router, for troubleshooting purposes.

1) Double-click on your network connection icon in the taskbar, and click on the Support tab, you'll see the Default Gateway has a certain IP Address number.

2) Log into that IP address by typing it in your web browser. You may have to set a password if you've never logged into it before.

3) Look for the control panel for your hardware firewall. Disable it.

Again this is just for testing network connection issues, but if you have a really cheap router (like me) you pretty much just have the option to enable or disable it. But see if the problem persists afterwards.

4) If you have an ASUS motherboards, updating your integrated LAN hardware's drivers have solved this issue. Some users have actually had the game crash when they went online, but getting the latest LAN drivers solved that problem for them.

5) If it takes you more than 30 seconds to load a map, the default servers will timeout and believe your client dropped. Things that can improve loadtime are disabling custom characters in the settings menu, increasing the amount of RAM in the system, and upgrading to a fast CPU.

6) Using a key generated by a pirate key generator online will result in 'Connection Failed'.

7) Using a key that is already in use by other player will result in 'Connection Failed'.

-

If you are experiencing an Invalid CD Key error message in Vista, then create a new user profile as a Standard account. I suspect doing the same thing in XP will work, too.

-

More in the next post.
    Last edited by Ultron; 12-31-2007 at 05:43 AM.

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MortQ42

Thanks!! ...........
    De gustibus non disputandum

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: dont have any

I've tried your superhigh quality tweak but graphics still not even close to what was shown by officially released screenshots ....any idea ? Were the screenshots photoshopped or is this graphic downgrade is a result of optimization?
    Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement.
    --------------------------------------------
    Asus P5k dlx / E6600 @ 2x2,4ghz step 2. /2x1gigs: A-data EE 800+ DDR2, in DC / Gigabyte 8800Ultra
    /logitech mx518 mouse on steelpad QcK

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: dont have any

Actually maps look good...but I couldn't tell the same about the characters...when the camera is close to them they look damn awful...
    Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement.
    Asus P5k dlx / E6600 @ 2x2,4ghz step 2. /2x1gigs: A-data EE 800+ DDR2, in DC / Gigabyte 8800Ultra
    /logitech mx518 mouse on steelpad QcK

Marrow Fiend

--- SECTION II - HIGH PERFORMANCE CHANGES ---

Open your UTEngine.ini file. Most of the changes will occur here. Note: This _will_ make the game look ugly, but it will provide more than double the framerates of a maximal quality setup. Note: I have the resolution set to 1024x768 here, but you can change it to whatever resolution you use either in the configuration file or in the game.

Edit the following options like so:

[Engine.GameEngine]
    bSmoothFrameRate=FALSE
    MinSmoothedFrameRate=0
    MaxSmoothedFrameRate=60

This takes the cap off the possible framerate ranges you can get. It can also disregard the Vsync limit if you have the Max value set to higher than the default refresh range of your monitor. But personally I don't recommend that since that gives screen tearing.

-

[Engine.Client]
    MinDesiredFrameRate=60.000000

This ensures that dynamic lighting, decals, and possibly other visuals are not used if your framerates drop below a certain speed. In this case, 60FPS. I recommend this be set to your maximum refresh rate for your monitor. If it's a LCD it's most likely 60. If it's a CRT it's most likely 85Hz or higher. This setting is largely useless if you've already disabled all the graphic options in the SystemSettings section of the UTEngine.ini.

-

[SystemSettings]
    StaticDecals=False
    DynamicDecals=False
    DynamicLights=False
    DynamicShadows=False
    LightEnvironmentShadows=False
    CompositeDynamicLights=True
    DirectionalLightmaps=False
    MotionBlur=False
    DepthOfField=False
    Bloom=False
    QualityBloom=False
    Distortion=False
    DropParticleDistortion=True
    SpeedTreeLeaves=False
    SpeedTreeFronds=False
    LensFlares=False
    FogVolumes=False
    FloatingPointRenderTargets=True
    Trilinear=False
    OneFrameThreadLag=False
    UseVsync=False
    UpscaleScreenPercentage=True
    Fullscreen=True
    AllowD3D10=True
    EnableHighPolyChars=False
    SkeletalMeshLODBias=0
    ParticleLODBias=0
    DetailMode=0
    ShadowFilterQualityBias=1
    MaxAnisotropy=0
    MaxMultisamples=1
    MinShadowResolution=32
    MaxShadowResolution=512
    ResX=1024
    ResY=768
    ScreenPercentage=100.000000

These settings pretty much strip all the high quality visual effects from the game, but it should be much clearer. The only graphical tweak I leave in there is the FloatingPointRenderTargets line, which is set to True. And that is because it allows you to see the Sniper Rifle tracer, and the smoke effects from behind the Flak ball, making it appear more like the Flak ball, instead of a glowing orange.

-

--- SECTION III - SUPER HIGH QUALITY CHANGES ---

Before I go any further, I must pimp Brad G's UT3 Tweaker - it can do a lot of these changes for you. As of this writing this link points to version 2.0, and I will try to update this link as needed.

This is not a setup you use unless you have a high-end system that is powerful enough to make framerate issues irrelevant. I also have the resolution set here to 1024x768 for compatability sake. Be sure to use whatever native resolution is best for your monitor.

[Engine.GameEngine]
    bSmoothFrameRate=True
    MinSmoothedFrameRate=0
    MaxSmoothedFrameRate=60

This gives you a range of up to 60FPS in terms of smooth graphics, and works with the Vsync setup to ensure no screen tearing even at lower framerates. If you want to disable Vsync for any reason I recommend you set the bSmoothFrameRate option to FALSE as well. At that point the other SmoothedFrameRate lines are meaningless. But if you are using a LCD it will most likely have a refresh rate of 60Hz anyways, so it's not really neccessary to do that in that case.

-

[Engine.Client]
    MinDesiredFrameRate=0.000000

This ensures that, regardless of what framerates you are getting, you get all the eye candy.

-

[SystemSettings]
    StaticDecals=True
    DynamicDecals=True
    DynamicLights=True
    DynamicShadows=True
    LightEnvironmentShadows=True
    CompositeDynamicLights=False
    DirectionalLightmaps=True
    MotionBlur=True
    DepthOfField=True
    Bloom=True
    QualityBloom=True
    Distortion=True
    DropParticleDistortion=False
    SpeedTreeLeaves=True
    SpeedTreeFronds=True
    LensFlares=True
    FogVolumes=True
    FloatingPointRenderTargets=True
    Trilinear=True
    OneFrameThreadLag=False
    UseVsync=True
    UpscaleScreenPercentage=True
    Fullscreen=True
    AllowD3D10=True
    EnableHighPolyChars=True
    SkeletalMeshLODBias=0
    ParticleLODBias=0
    DetailMode=2
    ShadowFilterQualityBias=1
    MaxAnisotropy=16
    MaxMultisamples=1
    MinShadowResolution=32
    MaxShadowResolution=512
    ResX=1024
    ResY=768
    ScreenPercentage=100.000000

You can set the MaxMultisamples to 2 or higher if you want to enable FSAA if you have Vista and DirectX 10, or you can make the changes in the control panel of your video card. As of now this only works on Nvidia cards, as ATI uses a different FSAA method.

-

--- SECTION IV - USEFUL CHANGES ---

Okay now that we've gotten past all that, let's take a look at the other improvements we can do to the game, in order to make our experience better, regardless of graphics/framerate changes.

Again, in the UTEngine.ini:

[Engine.Engine]
    bAllowMatureLanguage=False

This is if you have kids. It doesn't work without the first patch Epic is coming out with, yet. There is a similar setting in the UTGame.ini - I am not sure why. This still does not work as of Patch 1.1 but I am hopeful we will see some method of disabling taunts in future patches.

A workaround for this is turn the Voice volume down to 0 in-game in the Audio settings.

Also, you can use EntropicLqd's Taunt Control mutator offline to do the same thing.

-

[FullScreenMovie]
    ;StartupMovies=Copyright_PC
    ;StartupMovies=EpicLogo
    ;StartupMovies=MidwayLogo
    ;StartupMovies=UE3_logo
    ;StartupMovies=Nvidia_PC
    ;StartupMovies=Intel_Duo_Logo
    ;StartupMovies=UT_loadmovie1

This last section eliminates the startup movies from the game. This eliminates about 10 seconds of movies that play in the beginning.

You can also do the same by adding -nomoviestartup to the end of your shortcut, like so:

"C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe" -nomoviestartup

Just keep in mind that is you use that command line arguement, you will not see _any_ movies played, including campaign ones, so I recommend the first option, just commenting out the specific movies with the ; character.

-

And now we look into the UTGame.ini.

[Engine.HUD]
    bMessageBeep=true

-

[Engine.DecalManager]
    DecalLifeSpan=10.0

The default is 30. I set this so that decals never last more than 10 seconds. If you're hardcore crazy you can set that to a really high number.

-

[UTGame.UTPawn]
    Bob=0.000
    bWeaponBob=false

Eliminates your weapon from bobbing up and down when your character moves.

-

[UTGame.UTPlayerController]
    bLandingShake=false

This turns off an effect which can get annoying, quickly.

-

bNoMatureLanguage=true

Why, this looks strangely similar to the UTEngine option. It still does not work as of Patch 1.1, either. So yet again I recommend turning the Voice volume down in the Audio settings as a workaround.

-

bCenteredWeaponFire=True

The game default is to slightly offset where you aim, compared to where the crosshairs of your HUD are, to either the left or to the right of it, depending on what hand you use. If you set WeaponHandPreference to HAND_Right then you will aim to the right of the crosshair, for example. So I set the bCenteredWeaponFire to True to fire at the center of your crosshair by default, regardless of which hand you choose, or if you use Hidden.

-

[UTGame.UTDeathMessage]
    bNoConsoleDeathMessages=false

[UTGame.UTTeamDeathMessage]
    bNoConsoleDeathMessages=false

These enable death messages for enemies when they perish, as well as teammates. One or both of these are now enabled as of Patch 1.1, but I still recommend people verify.

-

[UTGame.UTHUD]
    bShowDamage=false

This can eliminate some of the red flashing when you take damage. But it really only removes the red arrows around the target reticle that flash when you are hit. They are supposed to show what direction you were hit from. At this point I recommend people leave it on, but this is the option for you to choose, anyhow.

-

To remove deathsounds - the level-dependant noise that sounds off in the background when you kill someone:

Open \My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config\UTGame.ini, find the section labeled [UTGame.UTMusicManager] and set StingerVolumeMultiplier to 0.

-

In the UTInput.ini:

[Engine.PlayerInput]
    bEnableMouseSmoothing=False

This turns off mouse smoothing. This can now be done in-game.

-

Bindings=(Name="U",Command="showhud")
    Bindings=(Name="Z",Command="behindview")
    Bindings=(Name="X",Command="throwweapon")
    Bindings=(Name="F7",Command="stat fps")
    Bindings=(Name="F8",Command="togglescreenshotmode" )

Incidentally there is a difference between showhud and togglescreenshotmode. Showhud will leave your weapon in view. Togglescreenshotmode will hide your weapon.

These are some recommended changes on my part, though you can use different keys. If you use a key that is already in use by another action, then just put a ; in front of the line you don't want to use. For example:

;Bindings=(Name="F7",Command="set D3DRenderDevice bUsePostProcessEffects False",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
    ;Bindings=(Name="F8",Command="set D3DRenderDevice bUsePostProcessEffects True",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

-

To use pipeswitch commands.

Bindings=(Name="PipeX",Command="switchweapon A | setbind KEY PipeY")
    Bindings=(Name="PipeY",Command="switchweapon B | setbind KEY PipeX")

Bindings=(Name="KEY",Command="PipeX")

-

And now back to our tweaks.

[UTGame.UTConsolePlayerInput]
    bViewAccelerationEnabled=FALSE

This disables mouse acceleration. It's a good idea to do this and disable mouse smoothing at the same time.

-

You can open your UTWeapon.ini file and make the following changes.

[UTGame.UTWeapon]
    CrosshairColor=(R=0,G=255,B=0,A=255)

Note: GREEN Crosshair as opposed to the WHITE default. (Thanks Warden!)

Want more color choices?

http://www.pitt.edu/~nisg/cis/web/cgi/rgb.html

-

[UTGame.UTWeap_InstagibRifle]
    Priority=14.3

I basically put an arbitrary number there in the Priority, making it a higher number than any of the other weapons. Basically if you come across an Instagib Rifle in the game (probably from a third party map, or enabled through a mutator) it puts the Instagib Rifle at the top of the priority list, something you cannot change in the in-game menu, currently. So when you hit SelectBestWeapon you'll be given it.

-

If you want to use a different splash page, create or copy a bitmapped image (.BMP file) that is 24-bit, and set to read-only, into the Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Spash\PC folder. Be sure to rename the existing Splash.bmp file before copying the new image into there. The new image should then be renamed to Splash.bmp.

-

If you want to try to use all the different character models in the game that are available, click on F10 to open up the console, then type "unlockallchars" and you'll see the Necris become available, as well as some bonus characters in existing factions.

-

--- OTHER LINKS ---

Other links of interest, with many of the tweaks listed here:

TweakGuides

Xentrum's UT3 .ini Tweaking List

Bersy's INI performance & graphics tweaks

Crotale's INI Tweaks/Console Commands

ESReality's UT3 Information Resource page

-

One final note: There are quite simply too many people to thank in helping with the development of this Tweak Guide. Ultimately I'm just the robot compiling this for everyone, but there are dozens of people who, in one way or another, contributed to this guide. So again, thank you everyone for helping me to put this together!
    Last edited by Ultron; 12-22-2007 at 12:44 AM.
    My UT3 Tweaks thread - updated 02/21/2008!

UT3 Patch 1.1

Skaarj

incredible thx! now I can play 1024x748 with my nvidia 6600
    Upgrade Video and Ram needed...

Iron Guard

bViewAccelerationEnabled=TRUE
    This enables or disables acceleration ?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by C-360 View Post
    incredible thx! now I can play 1024x748 with my nvidia 6600
    Hmm what are your system specs? I've done very similar tweaks for performance as this while keeping quality. Yet I can't do 1024x768...
    VCTF, Warfare=8-23fps
    DM, TDM, CTF=15-30fps
    (10-20ppl)

Settings:
    800x600
    Textures:3
    World Detail:1
    Full Bloom+Post processing (had to ini tweak those bc world details turns them off)

System:
    Celeron D @3.095Ghz
    Geforce 6600, 256mb Overclocked to 425Mhz core, 640Mhz Ram, 169.09
    512DDR Ram @ 384Mhz
    Windows XP(Low-ram tweaked-98mb usage at start) SP2

So how do you get a platyable 1024x768 and is tehre something else I can tweak.

Does DetailMode=4 makes a difference over the DetailMode=2 ?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Two things

1) this

You can open your UTWeapon.ini file and make the following changes.

[UTGame.UTWeapon]
    CrosshairColor=(R=0,G=255,B=0,A=255)

Note: GREEN Crosshair as opposed to the WHITE default. (Thanks Warden!)

Want more color choices?

http://www.pitt.edu/~nisg/cis/web/cgi/rgb.html

2)Set this to skip the intro screens in your shortcut
    Right mouse click on it and select properties

"C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe" -nomoviestartup

Good finds all, but as for the graphic settings i'm waiting until something pans out for pauses and hitches. There are some other threads going on this problem.

Marrow Fiend

Quote Originally Posted by Gave View Post
    I've tried your superhigh quality tweak but graphics still not even close to what was shown by officially released screenshots ....any idea ? Were the screenshots photoshopped or is this graphic downgrade is a result of optimization?
    The officially-released screenshots from a year ago were pre-rendered using assets that would be used in-game, but they are fairly representative of what the game looks like today. It's not perfect, but considering they were trying to show a product that wasn't close to finished at that time, that's understandable.

-

msny have you tried this:

[Engine.ISVHacks]

That might help.
    Last edited by Ultron; 12-19-2007 at 08:43 AM.

UT3 Patch 1.1

MSgt. Shooter Person

hey ultron, thanks for the compilation of this information. :up:

Quote Originally Posted by Ultron View Post
    [UTGame.UTConsolePlayerInput]

This disables mouse acceleration. It's a good idea to do this and disable mouse smoothing at the same time.
    correct me if i'm wrong, but i think you wanted to mark this as false.

MSgt. Shooter Person

[Engine.ISVHacks]

That might help.
    Yes I've seen that and tried it. No go, I still have the hitching.

Skaarj

I have a P4 2.4, N6600 Core I think 425 and memory is about 550, and system memory 748, i get 15 to 30 in warfare,dm,vctf etc, I first followed this this tweak http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=580778 and then Ultron's tweaks, but I turned it back to 800x600 for some better fps but the graphics are still great
    Upgrade Video and Ram needed...

Marrow Fiend

Quote Originally Posted by msny View Post
    Yes I've seen that and tried it. No go, I still have the hitching.
    Ah sorry to hear that. If you have SLI, have you tried turning that off?

Quote Originally Posted by wasser View Post
    hey ultron, thanks for the compilation of this information. :up:

correct me if i'm wrong, but i think you wanted to mark this as false.
    Ah you are correct. I will change that.

UT3 Patch 1.1

MSgt. Shooter Person

Ah sorry to hear that. If you have SLI, have you tried turning that off?

Ah you are correct. I will change that.
    No SLI, have a 8800GTS 320

I think the hitching is either a driver bug or we need an Epic update to fix it.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Bump! Great thread. Sticky maybe?
    AMD X2 4400 | XFX 8800GT XXX | 2GIG OCZ Platinum | ASUS A8N DELUXE
    Come Visit us! www.CLANANI.com (UT2K4/UT3)
    Compiled .ini Tweaks and Fixes for UT3--A Must Read!!

Marrow Fiend

I am going to quote someone who used a combination of the following tweaks and this helped him greatly. These are all found in my opening post, but he writes it all down very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tassadaru View Post
    I had the freezing-forever part of the bugs too.

Here's what I did, the tweaks.

First is in UTEngine.ini

Changed :
    Into: PumpWindowMessagesWhenRenderThreadStalled=True

Second is in UTEngine.ini

Changed:
    Into: bInitializeShadersOnDemand=True

Third is ingame (or ini-modifiable too I think)

Changed: Enabled OpenAL audio (I think that's what's it called)

Forth in UTEngine.ini

Change

Into: UseMinimalNVIDIADriverShaderOptimization=True

And installed patch 1.01 Beta

The game works flawlessly.

Hope it helps.
    Also, have in mind, I am using drivers version 169.09 from nVidia (beta), and onboard audio. Here are my specs: http://utforums.epicgames.com/showpo...&postcount=254

UT3 Patch 1.1

MSgt. Shooter Person

I am going to quote someone who used a combination of the following tweaks and this helped him greatly. These are all found in my opening post, but he writes it all down very well.
    I'm tempted to try it, but I'm against d/ling the beta patch at least for now.
    My concern is that it is not final and that epic may change it fixing this (hitching)
    and other issues, which is what I prefer.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the suggestions.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I ... for some reason ... don't have the [UTGame.UTPlayerController] option in my ini

I can just add it in and there should be no harm right?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by strikeratt View Post
    I ... for some reason ... don't have the [UTGame.UTPlayerController] option in my ini

I can just add it in and there should be no harm right?
    Are you sure you're on the right ini?

Marrow Fiend

I think this is important enough to add to this thread. Given the time and effort this person spent in finding out a way of enabling and disabling postprocessing in the game with the press of a button.

Quote Originally Posted by dickbird View Post
    Strange thing I ran across this morning:

Noticed a few days ago the game's graphics on my pc seemed a little drab and dreary, flat looking, compared to some of the screen shots I was seeing from others.

Anyway, found these two lines in the input ini files:

Bindings=(Name="F7",Command="set D3DRenderDevice bUsePostProcessEffects False",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
    Bindings=(Name="F8",Command="set D3DRenderDevice bUsePostProcessEffects True",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

and just for grins tried flipping that setting back and forth in game using those assigned keys. It had no effect.

Went back to the ini files, and discovered there was no reference to busepostprocesseffects, or d3drenderdevice, anywhere at all, other than in those two lines above.

Furthermore, using get commands on the references from those lines in the console would just get me the unknown class error message.

Applying a little guesswork, I discovered that substituting "engine.engine" for "d3drenderdevice" would make the commands actually work, and furthermore that the busepostprocesseffects setting had apparently been set to false on my pc for some time. I set it to true and... good golly, so that's what those post process effects look like...

I added busepostprocesseffects to the engine.engine section of the utengine.ini file, where it apparently belongs, and now I can flip it there whenever I want to.

I suppose this could be a 'bug,' but I'm sure it's probably just something I managed to get messed up myself, some time after installing the game. I don't know if you could call the difference subtle exactly, but I'm not sure whether or not they were ever enabled or not. Anyway, thought it might be useful to somebody.

UT3 Patch 1.1

Marrow Fiend

Adding this to the thread, since a lot of people have been complaining about lockups, and have been presuming it's an issue with the video card, when in fact it's been an OpenAL issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakey2.0 View Post
    I have found (thanks to this thread) that just renaming the wrap_oal.dll within the UT3\bin directory gains a similar result - 5.1 surround sound without crashes.

Digging further, it seems that wrap_oal.dll can work standalone when renamed to openal32.dll, but this will cause the game to enumerate available sound devices slightly differently. Basically, the custom features of the X-Fi are no longer exposed.

Anyway, there is does seem to be a minor loss of sound quality with the workaround - it doesn't sound quite as "rich". I suspect it's down to the AL_RENDERER being Software based - but at least there's 5.1 sound, and a stable game. A step in the right direction, and acceptable until the issue is hopefully resolved by either Creative or Epic...
    This file can be found here:

C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries

-

Quote Originally Posted by flikflak View Post
    I run an unpatched UT3 under WinXP with a X-Fi Elite Pro and just fixed this annoying OpenAL problem!

Here's what to do:

Copy both OpenAL32.dll and wrap_oal.dll from Windows\system32\ to UT3\Binaries\ replacing Epic's outdated files... And voilÓ! Switch OpenAL back on in UT3 and restart the game.

2 rounds WF and 2 DM maps later in OpenAL bliss, not a single crash/freeze!
    Shame on Epic for the old buggy files, but I'm glad it was that simple actually!
    Keep in mind that, in the event the UT3 files are newer than the ones you are trying to replace them with, keep the newest versions where they are in the UT3 Binaries folder.

-

Quote Originally Posted by OverToad View Post
    So far tonight, I've now played for three hours straight with numerous games on Deck, and haven't locked up. My personal fix?

UNCHECK OPENAL IN THE IN-GAME MENU SETTINGS.

Will it work for you? I can't say that, but it did work for me. Goodluck, and thanks to those that offered constructive help!
    Last edited by Ultron; 12-04-2007 at 08:20 PM.

UT3 Patch 1.1

MSgt. Shooter Person

Default Partial success with these settings

[Engine.ISVHacks]

That might help.
    Ultron/all

After some expermentation I've set my UTEngine.ini to your section 2 settings for high quality.

I also added the above settings and disabled the hardware sound openAI driver in game.

My results now seem very good after playing some DM this morning. I saw no hitching to speak of, maybe some very slight pausing which is livable.

So I have some questions now

1) Your tweak sets vsync to true or on.
    Does that follow the resolution ingame only or the desktop resolution going ingame? Mine are both different from each other.

My Dell 24" LCD is capable of 75mzh at certain settings, 60mzh at all the others. I have mine set 1152 x 864 75mzh
    for the desktop.

The idea is to have my LCD set higher to 75mzh but the game at 60mzh.

2) Do these settings work with vsync set to false or off?
    What changes would be made to keep high quality then?

My system
    Intel 6600 duo
    8800GTS 320mb
    2 gigs Corsair memory
    24" Dell LCD

Great work thanks so much!

Marrow Fiend

1) Your tweak sets vsync to true or on.
    Does that follow the resolution ingame only or the desktop resolution going ingame? Mine are both different from each other. My Dell 24" LCD is capable of 75mzh at certain settings, 60mzh at all the others. I have mine set 1152 x 864 75mzh for the desktop. The idea is to have my LCD set higher to 75mzh but the game at 60mzh.
    I believe it uses the refresh rate you are currently using at your desktop, though it could drop lower if the resolution you try to use is higher than your desktop resolution, and the max refresh rate there is lower. I'm no expert here, this is just guesswork.

Also, a lot of games tend to drop down to 60FPS when vsync is enabled, anyways.

2) Do these settings work with vsync set to false or off? What changes would be made to keep high quality then?
    Yeah the game will look identical. You only risk some screen tearing if you disable Vsync.

UT3 Patch 1.1

MSgt. Shooter Person

I love you man! I have been looking for these tweak for days!

Marrow Fiend

Quote Originally Posted by clark kent View Post
    I love you man! I have been looking for these tweak for days!
    No problem. I am here to help.

UT3 Patch 1.1

MSgt. Shooter Person

I believe it uses the refresh rate you are currently using at your desktop, though it could drop lower if the resolution you try to use is higher than your desktop resolution, and the max refresh rate there is lower. I'm no expert here, this is just guesswork.

Also, a lot of games tend to drop down to 60FPS when vsync is enabled, anyways.

Yeah the game will look identical. You only risk some screen tearing if you disable Vsync.
    Thanks so much, your help was much appreciated!

MSgt. Shooter Person

will the lower graphic changes help me with my sh*tty graphics card? my log file says i didnt support shader model 2.0. could this help me get around that?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by heatherrr View Post
    will the lower graphic changes help me with my sh*tty graphics card? my log file says i didnt support shader model 2.0. could this help me get around that?
    Sorry, but no - SM 2.0 is required for this game according to the minimum specs on the box.

np: Boxcutter - Mossy (Oneiric)

MSgt. Shooter Person

yea well that sucks, cause i meet all the other requirements. i wish you could just download shader model 2.0 and install it to your card or something. im returning my game more than likely. were going to build a new computer with a quad core processor but its going to take some time to save up some money

Boomshot

Thanks man, nice guide

Marrow Fiend

Quote Originally Posted by heatherrr View Post
    yea well that sucks, cause i meet all the other requirements. i wish you could just download shader model 2.0 and install it to your card or something. im returning my game more than likely. were going to build a new computer with a quad core processor but its going to take some time to save up some money
    You can buy a card for $100 that will play the game with Shader Model 3. 8600GT 256MB version.

UT3 Patch 1.1

MSgt. Shooter Person

One question on these settings which I've done. Section 2
    for high quality.

In game the sliders now show 1 textures and 1 detail.

Is that correct?
    If I change these will my INI settings be changed also, I assume?

Somewhat confusing.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Nice guide....
    Intel C2D e6400 @3GHz
    2 GB DDR2-800 RAM
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    BFG GeForce 8800GTX OC
    http://www.clan-mm.com

Marrow Fiend

From Wartourist:

How to run a Clean Setup (start here for general instability):
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815069

Please reinstall the latest DirectX from the Microsoft website (also a possible solution for general stability issues):
    www.microsoft.com/directx
    -

The RAD Video Tools [1.2 MB]

This will help you play the single player campaign videos, by the company who created the encoder Epic used to make those videos.

One caveat, the speech from the characters will not play, as they are scripted audio based on the language used in the installer. But man you get to view the videos in high quality.

-

I found another good bit of information:

Quote Originally Posted by ANick View Post
    Actually if you leave bSmoothFrameRate=True

Then set:

MinSmoothedFrameRate=30
    MaxSmoothedFrameRate=150

You will bypass the 90 online cap if your cpu and gpu is good! I can get over 100 sometimes in online games 7600GT and p4 2.8 DC both OC though!
    And now to answer a question:

One question on these settings which I've done. Section 2
    for high quality.

In game the sliders now show 1 textures and 1 detail.

Is that correct?
    If I change these will my INI settings be changed also, I assume?

Somewhat confusing.
    The instant you change settings in the INI that are outside the parameters of the ingame settings either the texture or world detail slider gets artificially dropped to 1 in-game. However none of the other settings are effected. The instant you move that slider, however, and apply the new settings, any out of sync parameter gets forced back into place to whatever it is supposed to be for that ingame slider setting.

Bottom line is don't alter either of those two sliders in-game after you tweak the configuration files.
    Last edited by Ultron; 12-04-2007 at 07:36 PM.

UT3 Patch 1.1

MSgt. Shooter Person

From Wartourist:

-

The RAD Video Tools [1.2 MB]

This will help you play the single player campaign videos, by the company who created the encoder Epic used to make those videos.

One caveat, the speech from the characters will not play, as they are scripted audio based on the language used in the installer. But man you get to view the videos in high quality.

-

I found another good bit of information:

And now to answer a question:

The instant you change settings in the INI that are outside the parameters of the ingame settings either the texture or world detail slider gets artificially dropped to 1 in-game. However none of the other settings are effected. The instant you move that slider, however, and apply the new settings, any out of sync parameter gets forced back into place to whatever it is supposed to be for that ingame slider setting.

Bottom line is don't alter either of those two sliders in-game after you tweak the configuration files.
    Another great tip i will try and thanks for answering my question.

Perfect, this is the thread to check for tweaks and troubleshooting.

Marrow Fiend

If you get this error message:

Error 1628: "Failed to complete script based install"

Click on the link above to read more about how to resolve that InstallShield issue.

-

To remove deathsounds - the level-dependant noise that sounds off in the background when you kill someone:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Evil View Post
    Open \My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config\UTGame.ini, find the section labeled [UTGame.UTMusicManager] and set StingerVolumeMultiplier to 0.

UT3 Patch 1.1

MSgt. Shooter Person

any fixes for the .exe ?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast