Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MSgt. Shooter Person

MAP-DM DM-ForgottenPast

DM-ForgottenPast - Its a small death match map set in an extremely old refinery deep in the mountains.

This is my first UT3 map and I hope I can only get better. Its not perfect yet. (I don't know how to add screen shots to the map yet, I only bought the game earlier xD) But here it is Hope everyone likes it.

New + Updated
    Download

Last edited by CiS; 11-21-2007 at 03:07 PM.
    Scientists have recently discovered that the molecules that make up CiS are entirely of the 'epic win' variety. WOOT!

Prisoner 849

actually dude, this is decent, though id do a little color correction post processing

Banned

decent idd

makes me scared a bit tho .. is it really not possible to add some color to that engine ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidesh0w View Post
    decent idd

makes me scared a bit tho .. is it really not possible to add some color to that engine ?
    Well, it seems he used stock assets for his map (nothin' wrong with that), so I wouldn't expect much more color than the stock maps.

MSgt. Shooter Person

id love to try it, but the game isnt out here yet :P looks a little bit cluttered imo, keep working on it

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thumbs up

This Quite Good For A First Try UT3 Map Dowloading Now.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Banned

omfg
    pretty colours :love:

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: pixel x101

I like it, but it looks a little dull and gears like.

"Need bring to life"
    Color
    Myblog Find my works here.

Veteran

Looking nice. Good job.

It is easy to add color in UEngine 3. I am currently working on removing color from my map to have it fit into the UT3 look and feel.

Prisoner 849

fug, just do whatever and use world post processing to desaturate

Redeemer

Quote Originally Posted by Xyx View Post
    Wow, you're the first to post a map that actually looks very decent!
    What him said, cant wait till Friday to play it !
    The Ultimate Unreal resource...Unreal Central!!
    Video Card: HD ATI 5777 Pro | 6GB of RAM DDR3 1066mhz | 24" BenQ Monitor | Intel i7 930 2.8GHz

ZOMG COOK FOR PS3?

Redeemer

forget color the theme is awesome brings a much more unreal effect. Some these dudes be utcomp whorin, wanna see too much pink and green lol whole bloody rainbow
    The Ultimate Unreal resource...Unreal Central!!
    Video Card: HD ATI 5777 Pro | 6GB of RAM DDR3 1066mhz | 24" BenQ Monitor | Intel i7 930 2.8GHz

ZOMG COOK FOR PS3?

Nice map, looks great though you might want to put a blocking volume over the ceiling.. as it stands it's rather easy to get outside the map (especially with jump boots ) other than that great job.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Yep I was aware of the ceiling and how you can jump out of the map I didnt quite have enough time to fix that but I will fix it today. : ) Thanks for all the comments . On teh COLururr I will add a little variation however I will not go overboard with it like UT comp maps. Its not a cartoon.

I will also fix any other things I think need to be fixed today When im done I will edit my original post and you can download it from the exact same location
    Scientists have recently discovered that the molecules that make up CiS are entirely of the 'epic win' variety. WOOT!

Looks good.... color is lame imo.... grunge look is more realistic to the scene, so I say keep it how it is.

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: XI Apathy IX

How the hell do you make this show up in the map list?

Also, I don't know if it's just me, but I have to be extremely close to something or the texture blurs out.. ?
    ||Antec 900||GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD3P||i5-2500K 4.1GHZ(OC'd)||G.Skill 12800 (16GB)||MSI 460 GTX Cyclone||Onboard Sound||Win 7 Ult. 64 bit||
    Yes, I still love PC gaming!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Idk about they blurry effect mine doesnt do it.

Put the map into: (I believe; someone correct me if im wrong)

C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: XI Apathy IX

I only have a directory called "Unpublished"

EDIT - Ok, I just made the directory and now it's showing up, but I still have that blurry texture problem when I'm not face planting the static meshes..
    Last edited by Apathy; 11-21-2007 at 05:41 PM.
    ||Antec 900||GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD3P||i5-2500K 4.1GHZ(OC'd)||G.Skill 12800 (16GB)||MSI 460 GTX Cyclone||Onboard Sound||Win 7 Ult. 64 bit||
    Yes, I still love PC gaming!

nice one CiS. Keep em comming!

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Sharpfish

Quote Originally Posted by Xyx View Post
    Wow, you're the first to post a map that actually looks very decent!
    I agree, and he's actually humble about it unlike people posting 'dm-cubethattookmeanhourtomake' and bragging about it being the best/first/nicest UT3 custom map.

As for this map, could do with some more work (of course), a bit of contrasting colours (no need to go mad) and things like those upright supports (the thin ones) are not good for fast paced DM because you will get hung up on them, more 'chunky' and easier to avoid uprights are better than micro detailing (in the main play areas), it also looks a 'little flat' but i'm only going on the shots, still it's the best I've seen posted on here yet and at least you thought up something different and tried to implement it properly.
    >> MY MAPS << UT3: None! UT2k4: DM-MindGames2 UT2k3: FestiveWorlds, Mindgames, SharpfishPark, Starfall, Tropica][, FestiveRidge UT99: DM-Resistor, DM-Capacitor, CTF-Afinity, DM-EvilTavern, DM-8ballHero Unreal 98: A few...

Download Games Spacehotel

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpfish View Post
    I agree, and he's actually humble about it unlike people posting 'dm-cubethattookmeanhourtomake' and bragging about it being the best/first/nicest UT3 custom map.
    Aye, pretty sad really I don't have the full game yet but based on the screenshots, a few accenting colors wouldn't hurt.
    I decided to be a hero
    Maps: NaliCity - Mapraider

Prisoner 849

oh sharp unkool, Thats a reference to me, and no way man took way more then an hour. lol.

But il agree he was original with this map which is good. Original work always takes longer.

Redeemer

Nice job dude the map plays quite good, yes it needs some work but as far has I played it its a Fragfest.
    Fast paced map DM action left and right... yeah ill give it 4 stars great job keep at it.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by karmatized View Post
    oh sharp unkool, Thats a reference to me, and no way man took way more then an hour. lol.

But il agree he was original with this map which is good. Original work always takes longer.
    No it wasn't just a reference to you. I agree it's not cool to slate anyone (i've had enough put downs in the past), but that's not my intention, my intention was to correct this misunderstanding that someone who release a 'quick map' is somehow better than someone who has yet to release one but it probably taking their time instead. It was all based on what the map makers said in their individual posts, it seems not one of them (you) could post the map without 'bragging' that it was first/best/prettiest etc.. (and this isn't a statement of my own position, i'm not currently mapping for UT3 because I've got far too much actual work to do elsewhere... maybe next year or something)

I've never done that while posting a map and I appreciate when other mappers are not arrogant too (like the person who started this thread), and that's not saying you are arrogant (I just think text is a bad conveyor of intent) but overall there were threads popping up with 'box maps' and feedback and the authors just not listening to the feedback while insisting it was the players that were 'wrong', I just happened to post in your thread at random, it would have been just as suitable in one of those other 'box maps' threads (possibly moreso).

And it was nothing personal either.
    Last edited by Sharpfish; 11-22-2007 at 03:54 PM.
    >> MY MAPS << UT3: None! UT2k4: DM-MindGames2 UT2k3: FestiveWorlds, Mindgames, SharpfishPark, Starfall, Tropica][, FestiveRidge UT99: DM-Resistor, DM-Capacitor, CTF-Afinity, DM-EvilTavern, DM-8ballHero Unreal 98: A few...

MSgt. Shooter Person

wow, looks like you put in a lot of work in it, CONGRATULATIONS !
    very nice map.
    best map so far.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I see the point Sharpfish. Between the two individual threads. I am aware that the map is rather bland in color. (My current map is dark but has a variety of color )This map is an industrial mining facility. Industrial mining facilities dont look like a float at a gay pride parade. As far as everyone that does not like the supports that hold the walk ways.. I said no my evil alter ego said YES. (Its not like i dont get stuck in rankin but watch where your going)

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Hey Cis, yeah it's no big deal to me personally. Just a couple of pointers that you choose whether to look at or ignore, your map your choice

BTW - I got a lot of heat way back in 2k3 for my map 'dm-starfall' which was like an explosion at a paint factory (albeit intentionally), a lot of people were unhappy that it used such outlandish colour (even though it was set on an alien planet that was intentionaly full of colourful plants/animals to offset the bland human ship) so, bear in mind that colour or not isn't the real issue, somewhere someone will complain (too colourful or too drab) the main importance personally is that maps have good gameplay and some personality to set them apart from the (thousands) of other maps. I've always lacked in gameplay (Mindgames2 wasn't bad though) and if I were to make maps for UT3 my first priority would be getting the bare level playing well and item layout, then I would go in and pretty it up... I would also not go overboard with colour, and in the case of your map all I was suggesting was a secondary colour to offset/compliment the greys so that floors/walls were easier to distinguish.

The supports are not a big deal really, I prefer chunky maps that look solid rather than intricate stuff but it never stopped past Epic maps being popular (dm-pressure for one had similar uprights and people were ok with it).

Anyway, congrats on making a map and doing something kind of original.
    Last edited by Sharpfish; 11-22-2007 at 07:59 PM.

Iron Guard

very nice looking, as for the color, i dont mind, makes it easier to spot enemies with skins. I'll be releasing a really colorful map once i get a decent computer (should be within the next 10 years)
    Intel Q6600@ 2.4ghz (eventually 3.1ghz), watercooled
    EVGA Geforce 9800 gx2
    EVGA 780i
    7200rpm 750gb hdd

And yet I only have ut3 for ps3

MSgt. Shooter Person

ahh those DM-Shroomz fans

Downloading now, at least on the screens the map looks nice..

This is in fact a well made map.

Congratulations

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by woooo View Post
    forget color the theme is awesome brings a much more unreal effect. Some these dudes be utcomp whorin, wanna see too much pink and green lol whole bloody rainbow
    just thought I'd throw this out there, Lotus was playing around learning things in the new code, and made a glow effect that cycles through all the colors like a rainbow. pretty fitting to this comment heeh.
    The best UT3 servers anywhere! For PC and PlayStation 3!

Retail servers available NOW with instant setup!

Up to 80 tickrate for demanding players.

MidnightGaming.net

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Reverse88

I liked it
    the only thing that bothered me was that it took a while for the textures to apply, and evertime I got too far away from a wall or something it got all blurry as if there was no textures on it. (might just be on my comp that happens) other then that it was a really good map

Keep up the good work!

nice map, and theres nothing wrong with the colouring of it as it. its meant to be a very old refinery afterall, so the colours fit the theme just fine

MSgt. Shooter Person

Looks good.. looks like it will play well performance wise too. I hate when people make these maps that are too taxing on systems.

I registered pretty much just to let you know how much I adore this map!

If I could be a little bit more constructive however, I noticed a few tiny things that I think would make it just right.

You really should find a way to put a screenshot of your map in the preview image thing in the map select menu - you know, the one that appears to the left of the map list while you're making your choice. In 2K4 I found that I simply had no idea which custom map I was jumping into since nobody ever bothered to put in screenshots of the things, and it bugged me quite a bit.

I doubt it can be fixed now, but while I really liked how you put some of the more powerful weapons on the lower, more dangerous areas of the map, the rocket launcher doesn't quite fit this rule. If anything, I would have probably made the area the rocket launcher is placed in a whole lot more exposed than it is now - maybe even had the grating continue beneath it so that they're vulnerable from the lower levels.

Which brings me to the next point - is it possible to make the grating passable for weaponry? that would make the battles so much more heated I think.

The last thing I want to mention, which is probably a problem related to my PC than your map, is that the texture of the grating only loads up when i'm exactly on it. Is this due to my detail settings?

Again, I really want to congratulate you on a great job prepared so quickly from the release of the game and hope you make more in the future

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to play some DM on Forgotten Past

MSgt. Shooter Person

Yep, this map seems like a great 1v1 map!

Great job!

Skaarj

Also just registered to tell you how I like your map.
    The flow is very good, played it yesterday over an hour continuously against 4 Bots -> pure fragtrance.
    Don't really find something to critisize.
    Maybe implement rain, the sound of raindrops on the roof and puddles on the ground where there is no roof. Some little plants in some corners + some moss would also give more flair.
    Some extra winter-version would be nice too.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Holiest Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by moyal View Post
    Also just registered to tell you how I like your map.
    The flow is very good, played it yesterday over an hour continuously against 4 Bots -> pure fragtrance.
    Don't really find something to critisize.
    Maybe implement rain, the sound of raindrops on the roof and puddles on the ground where there is no roof. Some little plants in some corners + some moss would also give more flair.
    Some extra winter-version would be nice too.

I agree. That would certainly make it more atmospheric. Reminds me of that map in Gears of War. Maybe even add in some thunder and lightening. Check out this video which shows how rain, fog, thunder and lightening adds a lot to the atmospheric experience:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvXuBec47oc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast