Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Publishing and Cooking UT3 Community Maps

We've gotten a lot of questions about how cooking and publishing work in UT3. If you're looking to create a new map and play it in the game (offline or online) this should help get you started:

Publishing and Cooking UT3 Community Maps

The CookedPC naming convention may seem confusing, but it’s a relatively simple process once everything is set up properly. “Cooking” bakes out unnecessary content from the map file, creates the shader cache information needed to properly load and run your map, and improves performance and loading times. “Publishing” sets up the files for distribution and puts everything into the proper directory so that other people can play what you’ve created.

Regarding the Published and Unpublished behavior:

Maps that are saved in the game editor are written to the Unpublished directory by default. This is the working directory for mod authors, and can be found here:

…\Documents and Settings\<UserID>\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Unpublished\CookedPC\CustomMaps

By default, however, the game recognizes only the Published directory when loading content. If you want to test Unpublished content, you can add the -useunpublished flag to the commandline. (The expected mod workflow is to iterate development on levels and content and run the game with -useunpublished.) When a map is ready, a final Publish will write cooked content to the Published directory, and these loading-optimized files will be ready for distribution.

The Published directory is located here:

…\Documents and Settings\<UserID>\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps

Saving a game in the editor should create the Unpublished folders. Publishing a file should create the Published folder. If either of those directories don’t exist, you’ll need to create them manually. When you download a map and want to play it, put it in the Published folder and it will then be recognized by the game and appear in the in menus. Note that files that are not in the proper directory will not be recognized by the game and will not load properly or appear in the menus.

I'll try to update this thread as necessary with new / relevant information.

Happy mapping!
    Jim Brown
    Lead Level Designer
    Epic Games

@EntropicDev

MSgt. Shooter Person

Do these published and nopublished dir's apply to server side as well?

MSgt. Shooter Person

On a similar note, would putting them in
    …\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps
    work at all?
    Same question for unpublished of course.
    That which redeems, consumes...

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Pfhoenix0

It's important to remember for everyone, as this just happened to me - when you publish a map within Ued, Ued will delete *everything* out of the Published directory structure first.

Epic : this is a major failure. Fix please.
    Fleet Wars
    Jetpack for UT3
    Raggy Weapons
    SpeedBump
    Mod Exemplar Project
    Official Proelium Site
    Official UnrealScript IRC Channel - #unrealscript on irc.enterthegame.com

Iron Guard

I had to make the published folder tree in the C: just to get a custom map to show up. There was no folder (running Vista) in the Documents area for the Published/Cooked. There was no Published/Cooked area in the C: so I made the tree, installed a beta map and then restarted and it showed up??

Quote Originally Posted by SkrU View Post
    Do these published and nopublished dir's apply to server side as well?
    Yes. The game will only recognize user created content if it is in the Published folder.
    Jim Brown
    Lead Level Designer
    Epic Games

@EntropicDev

Quote Originally Posted by Pfhoenix View Post
    It's important to remember for everyone, as this just happened to me - when you publish a map within Ued, Ued will delete *everything* out of the Published directory structure first.

Epic : this is a major failure. Fix please.
    This is a bug, and should only happen the first time you publish a map and only if you already have something in the published directory after you've manually created it. Our hope is to address this in a later patch
    Last edited by Entropy; 11-27-2007 at 01:06 PM.
    Jim Brown
    Lead Level Designer
    Epic Games

@EntropicDev

MSgt. Shooter Person

When i made my first publish/cook of a test map i did it created all of this:

A \Published\ Folder

A \CookedPC\ Folder within the \Published\ Folder with these files:
    --GlobalPersistentCookerData.upk
    --RefShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM2.upk
    --RefShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM3.upk
    --RefShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM4.upk

A \CustomMaps\ Folder within the \CookedPC\ Folder with these files:
    --DM-TestMap.ini
    --DM-TestMap.ut3

(Note: the map name was DM-TestMap)

1.) Are all of the folders correct?

2.) Are all of those .upk packages going to be created everytime i make a new map?

3.) If all i used was the stock materials provided by Epic and when i hit the Cook/Publish button and i get that dialog box that says something like "Save Packages ..something.. something.. YES? NO?" I'm supposed to hit no right?

1) Your info appears correct.
    2) Yes, but those are local files. don't include them if you distribute your map.
    3) Hit YES to properly save your files. Save early, save often.
    Jim Brown
    Lead Level Designer
    Epic Games

@EntropicDev

Hey since we are on the subject. I rent a server, created the ./Published/CookedPC/CustomMaps/ folder and uploaded a DM map that someone posted on here. When I check the logs, it shows it cached the ini and saw the map, but then it makes my server go offline from the online browser.

I checked to make sure my game type was 2 / deathmatch and everything else seems to load up ok, but the server never seems to come alive.

For instance: I downloaded DM_ForgottenPast, added it to the maplist in the UTGame.ini, also in my command line, I put in "server DM-ForgottenPast?GameType=2?...

Is there something I am missing?

MSgt. Shooter Person

i have everything in default folders on my rental server, and they work just fine.

path for maps and upk files: ftp://server ip here/ut3/UTGame/CookedPC/Maps/
    path for ini files: ftp://server ip here/ut3/UTGame/Config/
    My Rig
    i7-980X EE 6Core OC @ 4.7Ghz liq cooled | ASUS Rampage III Formula MB. | ATI 5970 2GB x2 in CrossFireX | G.SKILL 12GB DDR3 2000 OC (PC3 16000) 8-8-8-21 | OCZ 250GB SSD Boot up HD | 2 WD VelociRaptor 600GB 10k RPM 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache in Raid 0 | Windows 3.1 16bit j/k lol. Win7 64bit | ViewSonic VX2739wm 27" WS 1ms Monitor @1920 x 1080 | COOLER MASTER HAF X Case (Love this puppy) w/ OCZ ZX Series 1250W Power Supply | Logitech MX 518 Rat and Logitech G15 Keyboard

MSgt. Shooter Person

When i try to cook from the ed it asks me to save packages, I click yes,
    and then nothing happens.

So i loaded up the frontend thingy to cook my map from there but i get this:

Running: UT3.exe CookPackages -platform=PC C:\Documents and Settings\Fuubjuh\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Unpublished\CookedPC\CustomMaps\Toasted.u t3 -alwaysRecookmaps -alwaysRecookScript -user -installed -updateInisAuto
    [COMMANDLET STARTED]

Init: Version: 3487
    Init: Epic Internal: 0
    Init: Compiled: Oct 21 2007 03:17:32
    Init: Command line: -platform=PC C:\Documents and Settings\Fuubjuh\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Unpublished\CookedPC\CustomMaps\Toasted.u t3 -alwaysRecookmaps -alwaysRecookScript -user -installed -updateInisAuto
    Init: Base directory: K:\Games\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\
    Init: Character set: Unicode
    Log: Executing Class Editor.CookPackagesCommandlet
    Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file: ..\Engine\Localization\int\Editor.int
    UserModType: (0)
    ..\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\GlobalPersistentCooke rData.upk is out of date. Forcing a full recook.
    Error, Failed to load base level C:\Documents

Warning/Error Summary
    ---------------------
    Error, Failed to load base level C:\Documents

Commandlet->Main return this error code: 1
    With 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Execution of commandlet took: 1.01 seconds

[COMMANDLET FINISHED]

The line "Error, Failed to load base level C:\Documents" is just this It does not give me the full path.

Any tips?

What about if the -nohomedir parameter is used when starting the game? Can the content then be placed in the program folder?
    Stated above is probably my opinion. Feel free to tell me how wrong it is.
    I get pwned daily.
    Free direct file hosting at Mirrage! For all of your UT file hosting needs!USE IT!
    Fileplanet/filefront sucks

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: snilloconator

Quote Originally Posted by -VT- View Post
    When i made my first publish/cook of a test map i did it created all of this:

A \Published\ Folder

A \CookedPC\ Folder within the \Published\ Folder with these files:
    --GlobalPersistentCookerData.upk
    --RefShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM2.upk
    --RefShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM3.upk
    --RefShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM4.upk

A \CustomMaps\ Folder within the \CookedPC\ Folder with these files:
    --DM-TestMap.ini
    --DM-TestMap.ut3

(Note: the map name was DM-TestMap)

1.) Are all of the folders correct?

2.) Are all of those .upk packages going to be created everytime i make a new map?

3.) If all i used was the stock materials provided by Epic and when i hit the Cook/Publish button and i get that dialog box that says something like "Save Packages ..something.. something.. YES? NO?" I'm supposed to hit no right?
    I'm having a problem pushing my map on other pc's.... Locally here! Keep getting error.... I copy the .UT3 and .UPK to the other pc's My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\
    unreal-Xtreme-chaos

Xfire = snilloconator

MSgt. Shooter Person

Exclamation

Hi

Ok i got it to cook with the use of the frontend app but still no activity with
    the editor cook option.
    The frontend cook does yield an ini but no map file.
    The map loads fine when i add the -useunpublished command to the commline though.

Anyone know why it wont cook from within the editor ?
    And why it doesn't generate a map file in the Published folder ?
    I saved my map from within the ed to :
    \Documents and Settings\Fuubjuh\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Unpublished\CookedPC\CustomMaps

And my upk file to :
    \Documents and Settings\Fuubjuh\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Unpublished\CookedPC

I would appreciate the help very much, thx in advance.
    (if this isnt the right topic to ask this could some1 tell me where it should be?)

The Sacrifice

Quote Originally Posted by stephen_wq View Post
    What about if the -nohomedir parameter is used when starting the game? Can the content then be placed in the program folder?
    Yes, I'm using it and it works
    Last edited by WGH; 11-30-2007 at 05:47 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: snilloconator

After cooking my map it works and everything but I get the following extras....

uxc_first_level.upk (this is what I described my custom package as...) this is ok but this is on top of my .upk file and my .ut3 file...

I thought after cooking there should only be one .upk file?

Also the following are created:

GlobalPersistentCookerData.upk
    RefShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM3.upk
    RefShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM2.upk
    RefShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM4.upk

I can't figure out why my level is creating two .upk files. I did however bring in custom content but I thought that would be saved in the regular .upk... LOST
    unreal-Xtreme-chaos

Xfire = snilloconator

MSgt. Shooter Person

So what should you actually distribute when you for example want to test a map with a m8.
    Which files should i send him ?
    Cause when i send him the ut3 file (cooked)when he joins he still has to download the map.

shadinio

alright, so after a few wasteful hours, this is where am at:

i work on a level and save it 2 the unpublished folder, thought i mite as well check out how its goin, i use the -useunpublished flag and run the game, but is my map in the list? OF COURSE NOT!!

so i say, oh wat the hell, who wants 2 play unpublished, go for the gold!! so i cook it...wait forever...and then its done, i go into the game without using the flag this time, is my level in the list? again...NO! so at this point am willing 2 try anythin so i run the game one last time WITH the flag, mayb smthn interesting will happen this time, but .... u no!

SO! wat now? i mean i love testin the level in the editor but u no? i really miss the flawless simple button back in 2004 which says play level and u immediately run the game INSIDE the level...without any cooking or cleaning or what have you....]

anyone else got the same problem?!

MSgt. Shooter Person

just curious, why did they put the publish thing in?
    Modding can be real fun

shadinio

to make life easier, no doubt!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Reverse88

Question

Ok, so I've made a map in the editor and its ready for some in-game testing so I figured I'd cook the map and test it, however when I press the 'Publsih/Cook' button I end up getting this:

Init: Command line: -platform=PC CTF-Test -AlwaysRecookMaps -UpdateInisAuto
    Init: Base directory: D:\Spel\Program\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\
    UserModeType: <0>
    ..\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\GlobalPersistentCooke rData.upk is out of date. Forcing a full recook.

Error, Failed to load base level CTF-Test

Warning/Error Summary
    ----------------------

With 1 error<s>, warning<s>

Execution of commandlet took: 1.38

I have no clue of what I'm supposed to do here, it also deleted the maps I allready had in the Published/CookedPC/CustomMaps folder.

EDIT: Apparently my downloaded mutators had been deleted aswell as the maps.
    Last edited by Reverse; 12-02-2007 at 08:02 AM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/7476/lulzze5.jpg

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Reverse View Post
    Ok, so I've made a map in the editor and its ready for some in-game testing so I figured I'd cook the map and test it, however when I press the 'Publsih/Cook' button I end up getting this:

Warning/Error Summary
    ----------------------

I have no clue of what I'm supposed to do here, it also deleted the maps I allready had in the Published/CookedPC/CustomMaps folder.

I am looking for the same answer.

shadinio

this is just ridiculous!

Banned

Warning/Error Summary
    ----------------------

I have the exact same problem. I have no idea what I did, but one time I did get it to let me cook but then the map would never show up as playable, the game loaded with an "ambiguous package" error, and when I loaded it manually through the console the graphics were completely screwed up. Everything was the absolute minimum detail and textures would only show up once you got near the object's center.

I bought UT3 for the custom content and development aspects. I could really care less about the built in stuff. I am not a happy customer.

EDIT: I even tried creating a simple box map to test the editor, and it won't cook either. Everything builds, no errors, and it plays. When I go to cook it fails to work. It's always the same error.

Last edited by BigDragon; 12-03-2007 at 01:25 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Reverse88

Quote Originally Posted by BigDragon View Post
    the console the graphics were completely screwed up. Everything was the absolute minimum detail and textures would only show up once you got near the object's center.
    I belive you can fix this by selecting the StaticMeshActor, open up the properties and enable 'bForceMipStreaming'.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/7476/lulzze5.jpg

MSgt. Shooter Person

Huh?
    Whats up with the double \\?

Iron Guard

Warning/Error Summary
    ----------------------

Anyone have a solution to this issue? Without being able to playtest my map design, it is useless for me to proceed .

Banned

Do we have a geek here who can make a program to install the custom-maps correctly (some sort of cache manager)? Would be really nice

Gr Fragger
    Last edited by Fragger; 12-05-2007 at 03:08 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

*sigh*

Iron Guard

Working now.
    Last edited by 3Deeing; 02-20-2008 at 02:52 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

UPDATE

Publishing works fine on my windows XP DX9c install
    It doesn't work in my Vista DX10 PC

Iron Guard

Working now. Thanks Epic.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Ye, same here
    everything on hold .
    Can't export textures
    Can't publish

I'm not spending weeks on a map that might be lost or not able to publish.
    I'll check back after the patch.
    If that doesn't fix it, I'm off to another engine.

I'm having cooking problems too.
    Some background first:

My "My Documents" folder is my D: drive and so I have to use the -nohomedir switch in order to force the game to use the installation folder for config files and such. Moving My Docs back to C: is not an option. The editor also needed the -nohomedir otherwise I couldn't use the in-editor game preview.

When I started the map I'm working on I saved it in some other arbitrary folder in "My Documents" ( on D: ) (eg: d:\ut stuff\maps\). I've been working on it from there. The editor did not create any published/unpublished folders anywhere.

When I press the button in the editor to publish I get an error "couldn't create..."

and in the cli window I get this:

When I specify the full path to the map on the commandline instead of through the editor I get the same thing.

I tried creating the published/unpublished folder structure everywhere that might matter (D:\My Games\..., C:\Documents and Settings\My Docs\My Games\..., c:\games\unreal tournament 3\utgame\...) and then putting the map in the unpublished\CookedPC\Custom Maps\ folder, open it in the editor and then re-try to publish. Still same thing as screenshot.

It says 0 errors and 0 warnings....obviously a bad sign. Oh, and incidentally, no files are created at all anywhere I can find after this.

EDIT: I've since put my map in the utgame/unpublished/CookedPC/CustomMaps folder in the installation dir (I use -nohomedir) and open it in the editor from there. Using the -useunpublished switch the map does show up in the game properly and the ini was created. Still can't publish though. The user does have admin privilege.
    Last edited by ColonelPanic; 12-10-2007 at 05:33 PM.

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: XI Apathy IX

When I click publish map, it all goes smooth, but I don't get an INI file for the map?
    ||Antec 900||GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD3P||i5-2500K 4.1GHZ(OC'd)||G.Skill 12800 (16GB)||MSI 460 GTX Cyclone||Onboard Sound||Win 7 Ult. 64 bit||
    Yes, I still love PC gaming!

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by NEcRo- View Post

Huh?
    Whats up with the double \\?
    Is no one really able to say what is going on here with this/these errors?

It is frustrating spending days working on maps that can't be released.

Iron Guard

Working now.

MSgt. Shooter Person

On further investigation, I have this solution for my problem.

Hope it works for you chaps
    I'm using Vista and I think it is a Vista specific problem.

Here goes! :_

started with this

Ok , go to the games insallation folder

go to unrealtournament3/binaries folder

find UT3.exe application

right click and open up the properties for this puppy.

then go to the compatabilities tab

click show settings for all users

at the bottom tick the Run this program as administrator

click OK to all

like this

Fire up the editor

you will be asked for permission to continue(yes)

then I got this

I'm not using vista, XP SP2, so not much help for me. Running as administrator just crashes the editor before it can start for me.
    Last edited by ColonelPanic; 12-10-2007 at 08:28 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast