MSgt. Shooter Person

Default Which Nvidia driver for the retail version?

I've been running the demo with the 163.71 but see where Nvidia has the 163.75 available now, yet Evga has the 169.09 as the most up to date on their site. Since the Nivida driver is WHQL I'm assuming the Evga drv. might be a beta.

Be curious to see what others are using.
    Processor: Pentium E6700 + Zalman CNPS9500 AT Videocard: EVGA 8800 GTS OC 640MB Motherboard: MSI P6N SLI Platinum
    Memory: Corsair XMS 2048 6400C4 Soundcard: SB Audigy2 zs|Klipsch ProMedia THX PSU: Corsair HX520
    Storage: WD Raptor x 2 Case: Antec Super Lanboy - modified OS: Win XP sp2

Palace Guard

It's at nVidia's website as a beta.

Seriously...
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: KriLL38

Which means it's new enough not to have gone through microsoft's review cycle yet, the vast majority of "beta" drivers are perfectly fine and get signed by m$ after a few weeks.
    "Your effort to remain what you are is what limits you."

Iron Guard

why does microsoft do that?
    My Rig
    CPU: Intel Q6600 GPU: EVGA Geforce 8800 GT Mobo: Asus P5KR RAM: Corsair 2GB DDR2 800 Harddrives: 2 x Seagate 500GB 7200.11Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Displays: Samsung 19" 913B LCD, Samsung 22" 226BW-C LCD
    <Tisk> i bet the whole australia's internet is connected to the other world
    with some guy transferring 1.44MB diskettes on a rowing boat between usa and australia
    now think of NZ

Seriously...
    Gamer IDs

Why not?

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DeusGear

Use the beta one, there's no point in waiting for WHQL.
    |Q6600 @ 3.6ghz|XFX 8800 GTX 621/1620/2020|4 gig crucial ballistic @ DD2 800 mhz|X-Fi Sound|2 Sata HDD in raid 0|

Quote Originally Posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
    Why not?
    agreed, we should accept all decisions made by microsoft since its one of the greatest and most trustworthy companys of our time...

LOL!

Seriously...
    Gamer IDs

Kematian: they aren't, but they know what works well with their OS (it's closed source, ofc only they know) but yes as DeusGear said it's pointless to wait for WHQL, I haven't had issues with beta drivers in a long time, and when I did I just reverted one beta/WHQL build back.

Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xBIGREDDx

Quote Originally Posted by isp_of_doom View Post
    why does microsoft do that?
    It's so that they have a legitimate excuse when Apple fanbois start whining about "oh my mikrosofts windoze drivars are broken."
    Because then Microsoft can say, "hey, we didn't approve those drivers, now shut up and quit yer complaining."

Seriously...
    Gamer IDs

Nirvelli: actually Apple only have to deal with very few combinations of hardware, Microsoft has to deal with a combination of hardware longer than all your limbs and going far out of sight, it is a legitimate reason.

Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xBIGREDDx

Quote Originally Posted by KriLL3.8™ View Post
    Nirvelli: actually Apple only have to deal with very few combinations of hardware, Microsoft has to deal with a combination of hardware longer than all your limbs and going far out of sight, it is a legitimate reason.
    ...which is exactly what I was saying...

(Also, who decided to get rid of the old smilies? these ones are crap.)
    Last edited by Nirvelli; 11-19-2007 at 10:46 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by DeusGear View Post
    Use the beta one, there's no point in waiting for WHQL.
    There's a lot of bugs in the beta drivers - one being when I switch back from my plasma to the desktop it defaults my primary monitor to 60Hz requiring you to go through re-setting up reforce to make a new custom monitor driver to lock your refresh rate. So if you're like me and do more with your pc then play one or two new games, you will run into a lot of these little quirks with the new beta drivers. They also lower Crysis image quality which is ironic they where released geared towards Crysis. Quality and stability over an extra 3fps. Fun to test out beta drivers though, but they are definitely not even close to WHQL quality.

Palace Guard

WHQL? What a joke. It seems that nearly every driver I encounter gives me a warning that it's not digitally signed by Microsoft. I've never had a problem. Microsoft doesn't have to look at it for it to work.

You don't just get problems from beta drivers. I've used regular Forceware drivers that caused problems. Lo and behold, the next release it was fine. My personal experience with 169.09 is that it works fine on my system. My advice to people is, why not try it? If it doesn't work, just reinstall the old drivers.