Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Real "HowTo" to fix the crashes! (wargame-g4wlive.exe)

regedit,

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management,

PagedPoolSize,

"FFFFFFFF".

Reboot & Enjoy! No more "wargame-g4wlive.exe" crashes.

PS: Looks like it works on WinXP only, not on Vista. Sorry guys.
    But if it helps on any system please leave some notes in this topic.
    Last edited by Chet; 11-16-2007 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chet View Post
    regedit,

PagedPoolSize,

"FFFFFFFF".

Reboot & Enjoy!
    Since this deals with changing how PagedPoolSize caches files to memory how does it affect other apps on your computer? Any stability problems? Heres the technet link to this type of fix FYI ...

http://technet2.microsoft.com/window...ff0c01033.mspx

I have to point out whats already been said 1 million times before but remind me again why we have to goto these measures just to play this game?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Nope.... still crashes

Quote Originally Posted by zerosignal0 View Post
    Since this deals with changing how PagedPoolSize caches files to memory how does it affect other apps on your computer? Any stability problems? Heres the technet link to this type of fix FYI ...

http://technet2.microsoft.com/window...ff0c01033.mspx

I have to point out whats already been said 1 million times before but remind me again why we have to goto these measures just to play this game?
    I have no troubles using my computer in usual way. Even if you face some you can always try to reduce paged pool size or even set it to default value. The link you posted here describes how to do it in detail. I don't think this key can make your machine unbootable.
    BTW, crashing problem with the Team Fortress 2 is solved the same way. Also I heard that this tuning helps to avoid most problems with the S.T.A.L.K.E.R., but I can not prove that.

Quote Originally Posted by XxxXxxXxx View Post
    Nope.... still crashes
    How much RAM do you have, and have you rebooted your machine?

Also please keep in mind that some specific kinds of software (antivirus software for example) use much of paged memory. Even when the antivirus monitor is swithed off.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Holy crap! I can't believe I'm saying this but it worked. Acid test was getting to play through Act 2-3 with LIVE running and everything, and Act 5 for the first time since purchase! Will finally get to see the extra content.

Can even run with textures up to highest (kept it to high though as stuttering was imoroved) AND I can run ATI tools which I needed to modify my fan speed anyway.

This should be stickied or brought to the devs attention, as I've spent the last week on here trying every other solution so far ie admin, reinstalling, different drivers, nerfing live, ati tools, onlystreamtextures, closing all exta background processes in the ctrlaltdel screen and msconfig, blocking firewalls etc etc.

I'd just reinstalled gears freshly, so everything is standard. (Apart from the 5.1 hack...)

Thanks Chet, very very much.

Specs:
    X1900XTX 512Mb No OCs
    Windows XP SP2 32bit
    2Gb DDR2800 RAM
    Core2Duo E6400 OC'd to 2.4GHz

didnt work for me - this is my problem, which i also get when i run off the disc - i can get into the menus and game for like 30-40 seconds when i run off disc before that happens (minus the C++ part when ran from the disc)

http://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?i...0640529hb0.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by clown1342 View Post
    didnt work for me - this is my problem, which i also get when i run off the disc - i can get into the menus and game for like 30-40 seconds when i run off disc before that happens (minus the C++ part when ran from the disc)

http://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?i...0640529hb0.jpg
    Try to start the game with the internet turned on and using online live account.

This might sound dumb, but where or how do i actually go to edit what you have said, as i have no idea where it is and i have looked in atleast 90% of the folders for Gears of War.

Thanks.

MSgt. Shooter Person

It is a registry hack. If you do not know how to do that then it is suggested that you don't try for it might screw up your computer.

"start" -> run... -> regedit
    But Omikse is right. Don't blame me if you screw up your windows modifyng any registry keys.
    Last edited by Chet; 11-16-2007 at 11:22 AM.

regedit,

PagedPoolSize,

"FFFFFFFF".

Reboot & Enjoy!
    doesn't work....same old crash....

i have

2GB RAM
    32bit- vista home
    intel core duo CPU @ 2Ghz

enough to atleast run the game.

doesn't work for me too...

Sorry guys if it doesn't work for you. It is checked only on WinXP SP2 x86 with "WarGame-G4WLive.exe" crashing problems. And it was the only thing that helped me and some other guys with such error.
    Last edited by Chet; 11-16-2007 at 05:21 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

TRY THIS SOLUTION THIS WORKED FOR ME

I AM ALSO ONE OF YOU WHO HAD PROBLEMSIN PLAYING GEARS OF WAR DUE TOFREQUENT CRASH OF G4WLIVE.EXE.I WAS LITERALLY PISSED OFF WITH THIS GAME SO I UNINSTALLED THE GAME. SO ITHOUGHT OF GIVING ONE MORE SHOT TO PLAY IT..FOLLOW THESE STEPS STRICTLY(THESE STEPS WORKED FOR ME )OTHERWISE YOU WILL ENCOUNTER SAME PROBLEM OF CRASHES

OK HERE WE GO..

1.IF YOU HAVE GOW INSTALLED..PLEASE UNINSTALL IT.

2.NOTE..SOME USERS MIGHT HAVEINSTALLED DX10 FOR WINDOWS XP.. CODE NAME ALKYPROJECT.SO WE NEED TO REMOVE IT

REMOVE THESE FILES LOCATED IN YOUR C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/

d3d10.dll

d3dx10.dll

d3dx10.dll

dxgi.dll

Nucleus.dll

DELETE THESE FILES AND INSTALL DX9 EVEN IF HAVE IT ALREADY INSTALLED.NEW UPDATE OF DIRECTX CAN BE FOUND HERE

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/directx.html SCROLL DOWN AND CLICK DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL IT.

3.CHECK YOUR NVIDIA DRIVER.IT HAS TO BE 169.09 COZ I HAVE THIS DRIVER INSTALLED.UPDATE IT IF YOU DONT HAVE.

4.WE ARE READY TO INSTALL GEARS OF WAR..OK SOME POINTS TO REMEMBER.SHUT DOWN YOUR ANTIVIRUS FROM TASKBAR.REMOVE YOUR INTERNET CABLE FROM CPU AND DISABLE THE NETWORK CONNECTIONS.REALLY REALLY IMPORTANT(ALL THIS POINTS APPLY ONLY WHEN YOU ARE INSTALLING GOW DONT NEED TO DO IT AGAIN WHEN PLAYING....I HAVE AVG 7.5)

5 INSERT YOUR DVD AND WHEN THE MENU APPERS TO INSTALL GO TO MORE OPTIONS AND TURN OFF "ANY USERS" SOMETHING LIKE THAT THE IDEA IS TO INSTALL THIS FOR ONE USER...

6 AS SOON AS YOU START THE INSTALLATION WHEN YOU SEE THE PROGRESS BAR...QUICKLY GO TO YOUR TASK MANAGER AND KILL THE PROCESS NAMED"LIVECALL.EXE"(MAY BE YOU HAVE TO KILL IT 2 TIMES) AND THEN LET THE GOW INSTALL ON YOUR PC

7 AFTER INSTALLATION DONT RUN THE GAME CLOSE THE INSTALLATION MENU

8 RUN THE GAME FROM THE FOLDER WHERE YOU INSTALLED GOW Xrogram FilesMicrosoft GamesGears of WarBinariesStartup.exe

9 AFTER DOING ALL THESE STEPS IF YOU ARE ABLE TO GO TO GAME MENU THEN YOUCLEARED YOUR 1ST STAGE

10 NOW IMPORTANT THING YOU HAVE TO CREATE WINDOWS LIVE ID WITHIN THE GAME HOPE EVERYONE KNOWS BOUT THIS..

11.AFTER CREATING THE PROFILE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO PLAY THE GAME..CHEERS TRY TO SAVE GAME AFTER 5 MINUTES OF GAMEPLAY

12 REGARDING SAVE GAMES I WAS ABLE TO FOUND MY SAVEGAME(ONLYSINGLE PLAYERMODE ) AND IT WAS THE STAGE WHERE I LEFT OFF .GO TO YOUR ADDRESS BAR AND PASTE THIS-- DONT FORGET TO PUT YOUR USER NAME

Cocuments and SettingsYOUR USERNAMELocal SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftXLiveContent

IN THIS THERE WILL BE MANY FOLDERS JUST GO INSIDE IT TILL YOU FIND A FILE NAMED AS "4D530842.gpd".THIS IS YOUR SAVED GAME..BEFORE YOU CLOSE GOW PRESS ALT-TAB GO TO THE LINK MENTIONED ABOVE AND MAKE A BACKUP OF IT INCASE IF YOU LOOSE YOUR SAVEGAME(THIS STEP WILL BE APPLIED EVERYTIME WHEN YOU FINISHWITH GOW)

ALL THESE OPTIONS WORKED FOR ME AFTER A LONG RND..HOPE IT WILL WORK FOR YOU ALSO

AND MY GOW IS PLAYING AWESOME GIVING ME 30 -40 FPSON 1280*768 RES.MY SPECS ARE

DAUL CORE 3.40 GHZ

2GB RAM

8500GT 512 MB

WINDOWS XP SP2

AVG ANTI VIRUS 7.5 EMAIL SERVER EDITION

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS PLEASE POST ME

CHEERS HAPPY PLAYING GOW

ive seen this message only once...
    Gaming pc//CoolerMaster 690//AMD Phenom X4 9950 Agena 2.6GHz(BE) Quad Core
    ASUS M3N72-D-AM2+NVIDIA Nforce 750A SLI Mobo//(Dual)EVGA GTX 260 Core 216-55nm(896 GDDR3)
    1TB SATA HDD(x2)/500GB SATA HDD(X2)//4gigs(G.Skill)DDR2(pc2-8500Ram)//DVD-RW(x2)//Vista Ultimate
    750 Watt Corsair PSU//22"Acer LCD(1680x1050)(Widescreen)//80GB Ipod Video
    Saitek Eclipse 2 keyboard//Razer DeathAdder Mouse//XBox360-pc controller(Heat-trivium nate)

Thumbs up Yep, it fixed me

regedit,

PagedPoolSize,

"FFFFFFFF".

Reboot & Enjoy! No more "wargame-g4wlive.exe" crashes.

PS: Looks like it works on WinXP only, not on Vista. Sorry guys.
    But if it helps on any system please leave some notes in this topic.
    Nice 1 Chet, this worked a treat, thanks mate. (Still laggy and stuttering though with local profile)

It's a 'BIG' shame EPIC weren't able/can't be bothered to provide support to all the people who shelled out their hard earned cash to play this game. Unfortunately, yet again, we see it is left to the people who actually buy the game, pre-alpha testers to come up with bug fixes, the 'real' developers.

At least i am now able to play it, i'm still waiting for the patch EPIC...

A big thanks to Chet, EPIC take note, this is an example of someone who is prepared to go out of his way for free to help others unlike you EPIC, how sad

We've paid you EPIC, we've upheld our part of the bargain, now where's that patch? Better make it quick, your pissing people off, annoying the people who acquire games legitimately, next time, i'll download your bug infested pre-alpha crap.

Thanks again Chet, nice work

EDIT: Funnily, i've managed to stop the stuttering, still get a bit of loading pause, nothing drastic, and i can live with that. Tried longing into my LIVE account, and this seems better...
    Last edited by Listy; 11-23-2007 at 02:11 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Doesn't Micro soft decide when the game gets patched?
    PC first.

MSgt. Shooter Person

thanks !

Didn't try it so far but what are the risks for the users' PC please?

The ones who tried it, did you get any software / hardware problems after doing that modification and rebooting ?

Thanks in advance !

Come on Epic please hurry up with this patch,I get the same error as everyone else(wargame-g4wlive.exe) And im seriously bout to break this disk over my knee kinda sad how we spend our money on a game that you would expect to be amazing off jump when i cant even start the game.
    If anyone has a fix for VISTA Please PM Me!
    all my specs are fine ive check them over 10 times,I just really want to play this 8(
    If your really about to break GOW(pc) cause epic isnt making a patch put this in your SIG! Come ON EPIC!

WoOooooW works perfectly!!!....... Wooooohoooo... been playin' for 6 hours now... restarted my computer a couple times & still workin' this is a good fix worth tryin' out...

ThanXXXXX Chet

one for epic ,_l_
    Last edited by Xmatch; 11-23-2007 at 07:14 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Didn't work for me. I have XP and rebooted, but it still crashes with the same error. Good job on finding this for some people though, I guess.
    I love you

I'm the same as Jharp. Change the registry key fine, rebooted, and it still crashed. I am on an XP machine with a 2Gig dual core processor, 2GB RAM and a Radeon x1950 pro 256MB video card so I thought I'd fall into the target group here.

*Sigh* oh well =/

Hooked on Chet worked for me! I pulled a nice 4 hour session getting from damn near the start of the game (first encounter with emergence holes) up to the end of the mine cart sequence with no crashes or shutdowns.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by smashr View Post
    thanks !

Didn't try it so far but what are the risks for the users' PC please?

The ones who tried it, did you get any software / hardware problems after doing that modification and rebooting ?

Thanks in advance !
    Actually mate, the system seems faster and snappier, no problems yet.

Heh, worked for me! No more crashes! Thanks mate!

Gotta love a game that requires ****in with the registry to be played!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Listy View Post
    Actually mate, the system seems faster and snappier, no problems yet.
    cool

But the modification of the registry is it to let the PC use more memory on the HardDrive? Don't you need to reboot more frequently?

I mean I don't really see what does that reg modification does to the PC lol.

Quote Originally Posted by smashr View Post
    cool

But the modification of the registry is it to let the PC use more memory on the HardDrive? Don't you need to reboot more frequently?

I mean I don't really see what does that reg modification does to the PC lol.
    No problems or reboots yet mate, seems OK, I'm off to play some more... finally!

Patch it EPIC !!!

omg! its working!!! thanks alot
    oh heres what i did ..uninstalled GoW.. rebooted Win Xp..installed Gow..rebooted Xp...
    just started the game like that *for testing * .. it did crashed again and again in game >.<*not in menu* ..

then i edited that memory thingie in registry then its fixed !! no more random or checkpoint crashes..

but *to epic devs* this doesnt mean that im just goingto run to a store and buy UT III
    im still checking the UT III forums ..i saw some crushing issues in that game too..well only good thing about this crash is that i've learned to check forums first and wait for couple weeks b4 buying the game ... anyway thanks again

Exclamation

WORKED

Cheers to Chet.

And actualy this setting is used for servers, to cache a huge amount of files, and YES, windows will work better.
    Last edited by fedora; 11-29-2007 at 07:46 PM.

NOTHING CAN KILL THE WARGAME-G4WLIVE.EXE crash. NOTHING NOTHING. When I first edited the registry it ran great. Till a reboot or a later play, then it returned once again, then after another fix it ran smooth then came back with avengence. Nothing caN KILL IT

Ok I did the FFFFFF thing...but I still get that Error Message..That Dont Send and Send Error Reports message on the gw-live.exe or something like that

I also tried to play in window mode cuz people said when the error screen comes up just click back on the GOW screen I did dat and let it sit for 5 minutes and the erro screen was still there

Any1 out there has any solutions?

Quote Originally Posted by rody2k6 View Post
    Ok I did the FFFFFF thing...but I still get that Error Message..That Dont Send and Send Error Reports message on the gw-live.exe or something like that

I also tried to play in window mode cuz people said when the error screen comes up just click back on the GOW screen I did dat and let it sit for 5 minutes and the erro screen was still there

Any1 out there has any solutions?
    I restarted my pc and it worked

Sorry guys it can sound dumb but can you give more details.Should i replace value data which is 0 currently with "FFFFFFFF" or just FFFFFFFF.

Default word

This worked for me. !!
    I first updated my graphics card drivers and proccesor drivers as gow specified. Then I applied the GoWlive fix (also found on this forum). At first that didnt stop the gowlive crashes, although it may have shortened the frequency of crashes a bit.
    Then i remembered about this thread & the registry fix, figured id give it a shot, and it worked.
    Played the game for over a week now on and off, pc restarts included, and no crashes anywhere. Couple points where it seems it might crash but it never did, just took a few seconds for my slightly above minimum pc to chug through.

Running Windows XP pro
    AMD 64 +3200
    6600 gt w/ forceware 163.75

Quote Originally Posted by haldaniels View Post
    Sorry guys it can sound dumb but can you give more details.Should i replace value data which is 0 currently with "FFFFFFFF" or just FFFFFFFF.
    Without quotes.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xCFGx Birdy

This isn't working for me.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Pappiman

Still crashing in Act IV and fighting with Brumak.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xCFGx Birdy

I get a error like 5 seconds after i join an online match. wtf.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast