Default Preorder or not?

Hey all.

I am wondering if I should Pre order the UT3 game or not. Question being is as I want to run this on my LINUX setup.
    There is no real reason for me to pre-order it if it does not work and a big reason to pre-order it if it does. Any information would be helpful.

/ Cr0n3
    Last edited by Cr0n3; 11-09-2007 at 06:46 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Cr0n3 View Post
    Hey all.

I am wondering if I should Pre order the UT3 game or not. Question being is as I want to run this on my LINUX setup.
    There is no real reason for me to pre-order it if it does not work and a big reason to pre-order it if it does. Any information would be helpful.

/ Cr0n3
    Linux support won't be there "out of the box", however it has been said that they'll get it out as soon as possible (a Linux installer to download that'll work with the Windows version of the game).

So, if you'll only play once Linux is supported you might have to wait a bit. In that case I see only 3 reasons to pre-order:

- you want those pre-order in-game characters that you get from ordering at amazon/gamestop
    - you want to make sure you get the limited collectors edition (lol, no idea _how_ limited it actually is) :P
    - you want to support UT3 by getting the early sales going (which is a good promotion and usually leads to more sales)

I see, so that means I still have to buy the "windows" version first, right?
    That means that I can pre-order it then I guess.
    However it would be really bad if I pre-order and then they release another package for LINUX users, saying that it seems not to be likely.

What have EPIC said about this?

// Cr0n3

MSgt. Shooter Person

You could pre-order but since support for Linux won't be available right away, what would you gain from pre-ordering it.. you wouldn't be able to install it anyway. You might as well pick it up when the installer for Linux has been released.
    I decided to be a hero
    Maps: NaliCity - Mapraider

Boomshot

Pre-order it or not, you will need the windows retail version to do the install when the linux download is ready. You could always "borrow" an XP install CD, install on a spare drive and dual boot, your good for 30 days before you have to register. Test drive the demo and install the game on the spare drive until the download is ready. It's not like it will get any cheaper before the linux port is done. Who knows, you may have hardware issues like a slow cpu or vid card you need to fix before you can even play it. Besides when you borrow, it's free. When it's free, your sticking it to the man, man.
    I usually play as [T5K]Bobba_Novis, {T5K}Bobba_Novi, Gi_96, Ph@t-Ass-Fr3d, infected_brains, or ________
    My Rig- ASUS Z68, core I7 2600K @4.2Ghz and GTX780 as seen on my VG248 @144Hz

I am glad that EPIC will release something for us LINUX users also. Does anyone have an ETA on how long I will have to wait before I can get the Linux Client?
    Considering it will be released the 23 of November do we have to wait long for this?
    Anyway thanks for the heads up about this.

// Cr0n3

I wont pre-order but will run to the shop when it ships