MSgt. Shooter Person

Default UT Screenshots No Longer Work!?!?

Ok, this is freaky. Every screenshot I've taken in UT2004 have been completely BLACK, empty images ever since I installed the UT3 demo. I hadn't noticed, b/c I'll usually grab a few shots here and there, but forget to look at them till a later date. Well, today was that day and every shot taken since 10/17/07 has been pure black! The are still 1024x768 and roughly 2.2 MB, but he picture simply isn't there.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or could you try and replicate the situation? I'm not sure if it's my computer, or perhaps something with the UT3 demo. I can't imagine how, but all I know is this problem has never existed before, and I haven't modified a thing in 2k4 for months.

Dammit...and there were some good screens in there.
    [LX7][Dezoris]
    Dell XPS 400, 2.8 Dual Core Pentium D,
    1 GB Dual Channel DDR RAM, GeForce 6800 GS
    Windows XP

MSgt. Shooter Person

I just took some screenshots in ut2004 and it still works fine. So it is probably a problem with your computer. Or maybe I just got lucky and mine still works

MSgt. Shooter Person

Video driver. I'm guessing you're using a 8000 series card?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Says in his sig he is using a 6800 GS. I don't think that the drivers could cause that problem though.

Banned

That already happened to me. The problem seems to come and leave. I think it's because of diffrence video card's driver. Only on Vista though. It never happened to me in WinXP and it's not every game. Like now I think it's only FEAR who do that black screen bug and .mov videos. Strange... I know.

MSgt. Shooter Person

That's insane. I've never had a single problem with this machine. My entire personal and professional life is on this thing and it is always spotless. Nothing updated beyond the UT3 demo installation and updated nVidia drivers, so hopefully that isolates the problem. I'll try running some other tests when I get the time.
    Any other comments/suggestions are welcome.
    [LX7][Dezoris]
    Windows XP

I got the same problem. It think it started once I updated my Nvidea driver to make UT3 work properly.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Same for me, and started with the UT3/Nvidia 163. driver.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I doubt UT3 is scanning your harddisk for UT2 screenshots and overrides them with black pixels. I also doubt it corrups the JPEG algorithm.
    Waves of the same length can also interfere destructively.

Quote Originally Posted by blackout View Post
    I doubt UT3 is scanning your harddisk for UT2 screenshots and overrides them with black pixels. I also doubt it corrups the JPEG algorithm.
    Don't doubt the power of Mark "Epic" Rein!!!!

MSgt. Shooter Person

I had that happen to me before the demo was out. It's been awhile though so I don't remember exactly what caused it but I know that it was a setting in the drivers in my case. Can't remember what it was I changed though :/ I think I upped the quality, might've been something about AA or FSAA but I'm not sure. Regardless I fixed it by ondoing the setting I had changed.

Wish I could've helped more.
    edit: Was and am using a 7800GTX.

Seriously...

It's a common driver problem. This might help: http://clanbase.ggl.com/news_league....69775&lid=5147
    I don't have an nVidia card myself so I can't try it.
    The relevant bit:
    Some have shown concerns about their black [screenshots], and are aware that there is something wrong with their UT2004 game. Apparently, the latest NVidia gfx drivers are ruining the ability for programs such as UT2004 to take decent screenshots. Follow this link: http://www.nhancer.com/?dat=downloads and download the program 'nHancer'. Then perform the next steps:

-Install nHancer
    -Start nHancer
    -Add the game UT2004 in the list of Applications
    -Under Optimizations tick the box with Negative LOD BIAS
    And that's it

MSgt. Shooter Person

Cool. I'll mess with it some more. I definitely sounds like a driver issue then. That's too bad. I shouldn't have to install any third party software...nVidia should make a fix for their product, not me. >_>

Thanks for the post, Boksha.
    [LX7][Dezoris]
    Windows XP

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Centurion

Quote Originally Posted by [LX7][Dezoris] View Post
    Ok, this is freaky. Every screenshot I've taken in UT2004 have been completely BLACK, empty images ever since I installed the UT3 demo. I hadn't noticed, b/c I'll usually grab a few shots here and there, but forget to look at them till a later date. Well, today was that day and every shot taken since 10/17/07 has been pure black! The are still 1024x768 and roughly 2.2 MB, but he picture simply isn't there.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or could you try and replicate the situation? I'm not sure if it's my computer, or perhaps something with the UT3 demo. I can't imagine how, but all I know is this problem has never existed before, and I haven't modified a thing in 2k4 for months.

Dammit...and there were some good screens in there.
    It is the driver, I had similar problems.
    ROOTS REGGAE
    REGGAEMIX