MSgt. Shooter Person

Default Problems with Mobility radeon 9700... Catalyst 7.8 drivers aren't compatable

EPIC - problems with MOBILITY radeon 9700.

i tried running catalyst 7.9 & 7.10 because 7.8 doesn't work... it says it can't find any hardware on my pc that the drivers are compatable with.

heres my rig.
    Code:
    Manufacturer:  	
    Magnell
    Processor: 	
    AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+, MMX, 3DNow, ~790MHz
    Memory: 	
    1024MB RAM
    Hard Drive: 	
    100 GB
    Video Card: 	
    RADEON MOBILITY 9600/9700 SERIES (DNA-ATi 4.1.5.7)
    Monitor: 	
    Plug and Play Monitor
    Sound Card: 	
    Realtek AC97 Audio
    Speakers/Headphones: 	
    Keyboard: 	
    USB Root Hub
    Mouse: 	
    USB Root Hub
    Mouse Surface: 	
    Operating System: 	
    Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
    The problem im having with the game is that it is a kernel.dll crash [because of bad drivers?] . Its fine through the intro, menu and setting up the game. The menu is really weird color.... all forest green and brown [like waay to much alpha] ... but it lets me start a game. After i click to start the game it freezes up [black screen] at irregular intervals and if i manage to get out of the demo fast enough it shows that the demo has killed my vpu. because of a kernal.dll crash.

I have tried all the workarounds and the fixes and new drivers and changing and deleting the engine.ini but nothing works.

here is my dxdiag

and last but not least my log

Thank you and please fix ! I love the series, and i really want to like this one also!
    III

It may not be the best game ever... but the Editor is still my HERO

MSgt. Shooter Person

bump for the day
    III

Some mobility Radeon chips are manufacturer specific, and ATI's detection utility will not find them. Instead you need to downloaded the latest drivers from your laptop's manufacturer's website. If they don't go about 7.8 you may be in a hole. Maybe some third-party drivers will help but don't quote me on it.

By the way, I have the same crashing issue with my Mobility 9700/9600 and I'm running Catalyst 7.10. I'd love a solution too.

MSgt. Shooter Person

this is why my next graphic card will be a nvidia... **** ati, theyre messing
    around with their drivers and my x1600pro is kinda ****ed up with drivers from 06.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by rickatnight11 View Post
    Some mobility Radeon chips are manufacturer specific, and ATI's detection utility will not find them. Instead you need to downloaded the latest drivers from your laptop's manufacturer's website. If they don't go about 7.8 you may be in a hole. Maybe some third-party drivers will help but don't quote me on it.

By the way, I have the same crashing issue with my Mobility 9700/9600 and I'm running Catalyst 7.10. I'd love a solution too.
    I was thinking about trying dna-ati.... ill let you know how it goes if i get there

i have the same card as you.... can you download the 7.8 drivers?
    III

Quote Originally Posted by l-_-l View Post
    I was thinking about trying dna-ati.... ill let you know how it goes if i get there

i have the same card as you.... can you download the 7.8 drivers?
    I just got back from work and I'm going to do some testing to see if I can eliminate these freezes. First I'm going to try the tweak in UTEngine.ini by changing DisableATITextureFilterOptimizationChecks to false. Stay posted for results. If this doesn't help then I'll try the 7.8 drivers, and then the 7.9 drivers.

Specs
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    1 GB Ram
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with Catalyst 7.10

Well that didn't work. Within 1 minute of starting a Deathmatch in Shangri La the game froze requiring a restart. I'm going to try to find 7.8 drivers to test out.

Well, I couldn't find the 7.8 or 7.9 catalyst for mobility chips which I suspect is the issue you ran into, l-_-l, I think you found the regular catalyst drivers and not the one specified for mobility cards. Anywho, I'm going to use the latest Omega Drivers from http://www.omegadrivers.net/ati/win2k_xp.php which are based off of Catalyst 7.9.1. I'll keep you posted.

As far as I can tell the Omega drivers fixed the issue. I don't know if this is because it is Catalyst 7.9 or from some tweak in these drivers but the game has not locked up yet and is running noticeably faster. Finally I can find out how high the graphics can go. I implore others to test different drivers, and if anyone has access to the original 7.9 Mobility Catalyst drivers please test them out and post your findings.

Well it took a while but after about 15 minutes of play I did run into a freeze which did resume play after a minute but was followed by another freeze. I guess these drivers aren't immune after all, but they did seem to decrease the effect.

Super Moderator

If you are still having problems running the game please run through this post and submit your system specs/logs and we will try to help you out.

http://forums.epicgames.com/showpost...65&postcount=1

Thanks!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by l-_-l View Post
    i tried running catalyst 7.9 & 7.10 because 7.8 doesn't work... it says it can't find any hardware on my pc that the drivers are compatable with.
    Unfortunately for laptops you have to get the drivers from your manufacturer. This is the secret curse of gaming on laptops - the manufacturers won't let ATI and NVIDIA support the laptops with their normal driver releases. I've heard a ton of different excuses for this but they'll nonsense and just come down to the big computer manufacturers wanting control over what drivers you put on your laptop. The sad part is that they seldom make the effort to keep the drivers updated. They could authorize ATI and NVIDIA to support them publicly but they won't. Laptop gamers are SCREWED because of this and Epic has been fighting this behind the scenes for several years now with little success. ATI and NVIDIA say their hands are tied on this but I think they need to stand up to their hardware partners in the interest of the end user experience. It is making them look bad too. You bought a laptop that you thought could play the game well (and it could play games well back when you bought it because the drivers were relatively up to date when it shipped) but now you can't play current games simply because your driver is out of date.

The bottom line is that gamers need to speak out (SCREAM ACTUALLY) about this injustice because more and more PC users are moving to laptops and they'll be having horrible gaming experiences (even when the laptops do have decent graphics chips totally capable of playing the games) if the drivers aren't kept up to date. I have a DELL M170 at home and the latest drivers for it are over a year old with no sign that they'll ever release updated drivers. NVIDIA could simply at that machine to the .INF file they release with the reference drivers and it would work like a charm but they can't because DELL won't let them.

Speak out folks, speak out loudly! Tell your hardware companies this kind of behaviour is anti-gaming and you'll go to other vendors in the future if they don't change it.

Having said that there are one or two of the high-end laptop makers who let NVIDIA (not sure about ATI but probably them as well) support the mobile chips in their machines. You'd have to check the graphics chip manufacturer's driver download sites for more details.
    Last edited by Mark Rein; 10-17-2007 at 10:32 AM.

My laptop comes from iBuyPower.com, originally manufactured by Uniwill, and so far this is the first time a graphics issue has manifested. I know what you mean about specialized mobility drivers for nVidia and ATI. My friend has an HP with an nVidia chip in it, and it ticked me off that none of the drivers from nVidia's site worked, and HP refused to update their old faulty driver. My laptop, however, has always worked with ATI's drivers and seems to have a fairly generic motherboard setup in general. I hope this helps and I will definitely post my setup in the thread you provided.

MSgt. Shooter Person

well i guess its come down to try using this

http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool/

thank you for the answer Mark!

i will update when i get it installed.... later today probably and then see how it works!
    III

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Pariahman View Post
    If you are still having problems running the game please run through this post and submit your system specs/logs and we will try to help you out.

http://forums.epicgames.com/showpost...65&postcount=1

Thanks!
    I did post there btw... post # 516
    III

Great tool. Thanks for posting it. I'm going to do some more testing with the Omega drivers. I have experienced some severe artifacting today. I don't know if it is the fault of the drivers or if my laptop (which I just got back from the manufacturer for service for the same problem) is having issues again. Let me know how it goes.

MSgt. Shooter Person

it worked great for most of a match.. but froze near the end... im going to try it in pair with the ini tweaks... for more extensive troubleshooting... ill keep you posted
    III

Well I have to send my laptop back within a week of getting it back from being serviced. Hopefully this time they will actually fix it, but I won't be able to test UT3 for a about a week or so. Please keep me posted, anyway.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SpookySilence

Thumbs up

Damn right! Tell it preacher! My brother has a pretty decent laptop that can play UT3 with no problem, spec wise but the drivers he has are at least a year old, when he played UT3, I said 'Oh God! Don't move the mouse! you'll just make even worse!' at some parts of the game it ran fine and others didn't. These manufacturers got nothing to lose, it's not hard to release a driver, if they want to keep their motto they need to help the little people with the laptops. We all bleed the same blood color right? pc and laptop users...

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroError2K8 View Post
    We all bleed the same blood color right? pc and laptop users...
    sometimes i wonder if us laptop users just bleed invisible .... who knows?

It didn't work... the problem still persists with all the ini tweaks and everything.

Is there any way you can fix things like this for the final release mark?
    III

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rein View Post
    Unfortunately for laptops you have to get the drivers from your manufacturer. This is the secret curse of gaming on laptops - the manufacturers won't let ATI and NVIDIA support the laptops with their normal driver releases. I've heard a ton of different excuses for this but they'll nonsense and just come down to the big computer manufacturers wanting control over what drivers you put on your laptop. The sad part is that they seldom make the effort to keep the drivers updated. They could authorize ATI and NVIDIA to support them publicly but they won't. Laptop gamers are SCREWED because of this and Epic has been fighting this behind the scenes for several years now with little success. ATI and NVIDIA say their hands are tied on this but I think they need to stand up to their hardware partners in the interest of the end user experience. It is making them look bad too. You bought a laptop that you thought could play the game well (and it could play games well back when you bought it because the drivers were relatively up to date when it shipped) but now you can't play current games simply because your driver is out of date.

The bottom line is that gamers need to speak out (SCREAM ACTUALLY) about this injustice because more and more PC users are moving to laptops and they'll be having horrible gaming experiences (even when the laptops do have decent graphics chips totally capable of playing the games) if the drivers aren't kept up to date. I have a DELL M170 at home and the latest drivers for it are over a year old with no sign that they'll ever release updated drivers. NVIDIA could simply at that machine to the .INF file they release with the reference drivers and it would work like a charm but they can't because DELL won't let them.

Speak out folks, speak out loudly! Tell your hardware companies this kind of behaviour is anti-gaming and you'll go to other vendors in the future if they don't change it.

Having said that there are one or two of the high-end laptop makers who let NVIDIA (not sure about ATI but probably them as well) support the mobile chips in their machines. You'd have to check the graphics chip manufacturer's driver download sites for more details.
    While this is true and SUX big time there IS a way around it

Im running this game on a FS laptop with a ATI x1900 and the latest ATI drivers (released by ati and not fs)

All you have to do (if you have a laptop with a ati gpu) is go here http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool/

And if you have a Nvidia gpu go here http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/
    AKA Digitalx / Digi

IG = WIN
    NW = LOSE

MSgt. Shooter Person

I tried that man....

i unloaded the CCC program from the comp and i actually got through 1 and 1/2 games before it killed..... but that might have been because i was screwing with the graphics controls too... who knows?

Im gonna keep playing with it, maybe it will work the day before the game comes out?
    III

Seriously...
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: KriLL38

I heard some replaced in .inf file of the drivers to shoehorn then into installing, I think the best bet is third party drivers.
    "Your effort to remain what you are is what limits you."

MSgt. Shooter Person

well EPIC..... your just gonna have to start releasing your own drivers...

none are workin for me..

Please tell me that i won't have this problem with final release.. [/crossfingers]
    III

I doubt this will be an issue at realease. Obviously this is related to these particular GPUs or the drivers they use, and being common hardware it's just a classic case of conflict with a particular system. Hopefully I'll get my machine back soon to continue testing. The demo runs great on my desktop's 6800GT with everything turned up.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I just thought of something though.... the 9600/9700 series cards don't do well with shaders... and UnrealTournament has lots of complex shaders.... hopefully we will have options to disable...
    III