MSgt. Shooter Person

Default Push my gaming pc to the limit. Help me make my pc even better.!!! I am updating

I got $1,000 american dollars to spend. I already run the demo at high resolution and highest quality but I think the fullversion will have better graphics then the demo beta version that was released.

Current specs:

Amd Athlon 3500 2.2ghz 2gigs of ram
    xfx geforce 8800 gts 320mbcard

Bought my video card probably like around a month ago or more. So, I'm not looking to update my video card. Thanks for anyone who can seriously help.

MSgt. Shooter Person

not even dual core? upgrade your cpu

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by pixl View Post
    not even dual core? upgrade your cpu
    To what though, whats a good duel core for my price range. And compatible with the xfx geforce 8800gts 320mb card. I will take the ram and card out of this cpu and put it in the other one. But should I also buy more ram? I need a good cpu with a good case that can fit my video card and more ram in it

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by Elitesoldier View Post
    I got $1,000 american dollars to spend. I already run the demo at high resolution and highest quality but I think the fullversion will have better graphics then the demo beta version that was released.

Current specs:

Bought my video card probably like around a month ago or more. So, I'm not looking to update my video card. Thanks for anyone who can seriously help.
    I assume you have a socket 939 motherboard or an early AM2? What power supply do you have? What type of case? What type of memory?
    I usually play as [T5K]Bobba_Novis, {T5K}Bobba_Novi, Gi_96, Ph@t-Ass-Fr3d, infected_brains, or ________
    My Rig- ASUS Z68, core I7 2600K @4.2Ghz and GTX780 as seen on my VG248 @144Hz

MSgt. Shooter Person

You most propably need new RAM. I'm on a AMD 64 3000+ with an ASUS A8N-E Mainboard and I'm upgrading tomorrow. I'll need new RAM too, but as I am currently using 2x512MB I need new RAM anyways, because I'm upgrading to 4GB. Your RAM won't be compatible with a new Board, if you're planning on buying a new one.

If you're happy with an AMD X2-CPU you'll be able to keep the RAM though. I'm switching to Intels C2D E6750, until AMD surprises me with better permormance. I just hope my 7900 GTX 512 won't become a bottleneck.

MSgt. Shooter Person

whats the best AMD X2 gaming system I can get? So, I can keep the ram. And I don't like intel, I don't care if they're better. I just don't like them. And If I update to a new amd, is it going to be a much better performance or should I just save my money and stick with my amd ahtlon 3500 for now.

MSgt. Shooter Person

bump bump bump

MSgt. Shooter Person

i got my x2 3800 toledo running at 3.07ghz easily. Buy from newegg. They have the best batches of amds there.

MSgt. Shooter Person

AMD 6000+, anything higher will be more then satisfying. You will also most likely (and want to) upgrade to an AM2 motherboard.

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103191
    Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131013
    Ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145034 (you could get 2 sets which total 4gb's if you wanted to)

Now heres where I don't know what you have as for CD/Dvd and hard drives. If your using IDE for more then 2 drives, you may need to buy Sata.

Hard drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136033
    Case:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811133021

Thats around $900, probably a little more with shipping.

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho1989 View Post
    AMD 6000+, anything higher will be more then satisfying. You will also most likely (and want to) upgrade to an AM2 motherboard.

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103191
    Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131013
    Ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145034 (you could get 2 sets which total 4gb's if you wanted to)

Now heres where I don't know what you have as for CD/Dvd and hard drives. If your using IDE for more then 2 drives, you may need to buy Sata.

Hard drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136033
    Case:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811133021

Thats around $900, probably a little more with shipping.
    Ditto for those recommendations. The Raptor hard drive is a great recommendation (I love mine), and I use the XMS Corsair memory.

But the original poster should keep in mind which OS they plan to use. More than 2GB does no good in XP, but 4GB would certainly be a plus in Vista.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
    Ditto for those recommendations. The Raptor hard drive is a great recommendation (I love mine), and I use the XMS Corsair memory.

But the original poster should keep in mind which OS they plan to use. More than 2GB does no good in XP, but 4GB would certainly be a plus in Vista.
    With my ram, the more things i can have running on my computer. So, I don't know how it wouldn't help on windows xp

Id recommend Mushkin ram over Corsair... The CAS latency is lower than Corsair for about the same price.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Alpha Factor

A good idea would be upgrade your motherboard to the AM2 and upgrade to a AMD Athlon 6000+. Plus yes you will get your video card running at it's true potential.

If you wanna go overboard you can upgrade you hard drive to the 10,000 RPM Raptor and up your RAM to the high performance Corsair with 4 gigs of such.
    With your first step you will burn
    Can't control your hate you've learned
    Killing slow is the way I conquer
    Until you know the meaning of suffer

MSgt. Shooter Person

Done with Epic
    Last edited by HudsonC_TAW; 01-19-2008 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Done with Epic

Boomshot

Default Insufficient technical specs

Current specs:

Since you do not know what motherboard you now have, or anything about the power supply, maybe you should just buy a Dell. In order to upgrade, you need real tech info, not BS.
    I usually play as [T5K]Bobba_Novis, {T5K}Bobba_Novi, Gi_96, Ph@t-Ass-Fr3d, infected_brains, or ________
    My Rig- ASUS Z68, core I7 2600K @4.2Ghz and GTX780 as seen on my VG248 @144Hz

MSgt. Shooter Person

This would be about the only real upgrade you could do to that system if it's a 939...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103543

Otherwise, new motherboard, probably new power supply, new ram new cpu, ehhh, get a good case. It can be done for a grand pretty easily since you already have a good vid card.

Redeemer
    Corner Brook NF.(Far east coast of North America)
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SINCREATOR

939 is discontinued 940 is the standard now. If you got 1000$ to spend go with pentium mobo, 2 gigs 800mhz ram, and a Intel dual-core chip (6600 or higher) Yor vid card is good already. If you want to save 3-400$ go with AM2 Amd 4800+ or higher. Either will satisfy you for now, although the pentium will last longer before you have to upgrade again. With the money you save if you go with amd you could add extra ram and get the second vid card to go SLI.

you should have gotten the GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB for the extra money. I was going to get the 320MB version, but saw the 640MB version and instantly got it. Great buy.

Current specs:

Is this computer a homebuilt to begin with? My guess is no, and you will have to replace everything but the video card, the HDD, and disc drive (sorry, but your current RAM is most likely DDR400 and not compatible with any current parts). Let's see what you can do with "$1,000 american dollars," assuming USA retailers will sell to where you live.

1) Case: $50 for a cheap Cooler Master Centurion
    2) Power Supply: $150+ for a decent one (Corsair 620, PC P&C Silencer 750, etc)
    3) Motherboard: $100 give or take for your basic and stable type from a known manufacturer. Extra stuff can tack on another $50-70
    4) RAM: $70-150 for 2GB of DDR2-800 from G.Skill, Muskin, or OCZ
    5) CPU: $160 for an X2 6000+

After that it's up to you. You could get a soundcard, a new hard drive, or a dvd burner if it fits your fancy or if you can't salvage one of these items from your current PC. You could also take the huge sum left over and get better parts, like an Intel mobo and quadcore CPU. Good luck "[taking] the ram and card out of this cpu and [putting] it in the other one."

Skaarj

Default Bus Speed

Those are all great suggestions (especially the WD Raptor). Not that I'm a hardware guru, but I do want to mention that many people neglect their bus speed for CPU speed. Bus speed (FSB) makes a big difference.

Iron Guard

With my ram, the more things i can have running on my computer. So, I don't know how it wouldn't help on windows xp
    My bad. I just looked it up. The advice from a couple of years ago that I remember is that XP wouldn't really access more than 2 GB of RAM. Apparently, that was a myth that was floating around the Internet

Iron Guard

Follow-up: I just found an article that is about 2 years old over at Tom's Hardware: How Much RAM Do You Really Need?. If you look at the stats, there may not be that much benefit in going from 2GB to 4GB; might be better to put the money into CPU or GFX card. Be interesting to see an updated study with newer games.

MSgt. Shooter Person

i have an amd athlon x2 dual core 4.2 gtz cpu and a EVGA geforce 8800 gts and i may get another but the demo ran perfectly.... so i'd suggest 4.2 dual core

get a new powersupply
    processor
    and ram
    good to go

do research
    view specs.
    then research down to find out what cores are better
    ect ect.
    i dont want to just tell you what to buy
    research research research.
    and if youre wanting 5 or 10 more frames
    lookinto the ati tool / nvidia overclocking
    and get the newest drivers and bios revisions (edit - or best stable overclocking NO BETA)
    but for a performance increase
    processor is slacking
    ive got the 3000+ overclocked to 2.34 ghz.
    runs fine for me.
    for now.
    if i upgrade ill be getting am2 and ddr2. in the future.
    i expected a forced upgrade.
    but my pc runs it fine like i said.
    but im waiting for direct x 10
    and since am2 has been out a while... it might change soon haha knowing amd.

Iron Guard

For a thousand dollars you could build a complete killer rig.

As others have suggested I'm sure.

Go with a different motherboard/CPU setup with the new RAM. DDR2 and get plenty of it, RAM is cheap right now. 4Gb should be plenty. Keep your video card, it should be fine. I'd get the Phyisx accelerator card though, that should help out a lot since UT3 will take advantage of it.

For around 200 bucks you could have a nice dual core e4300 or e6600, even a q6600.
    www.ut-files.com | The largest Unreal file hosting site.