Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MSgt. Shooter Person

VEHICLE [VEHICLE] Noderunner Mk.2

Well, I've been dropping hints on a vehicle I've been working on, and here it is:

Noderunner Mk.2
    Type: Quick strike vehicle
    Status/Version: Texturing / Normal Mapping Stage
    Compatibility: UT3
    Weapons:
    * Driver - Primary: Plasma guns / Alt-Fire: Anti-Air Missiles
    * Gunner - Primary: Turret / Alt-Fire: Zoom

Concept: I decided to create a new version of my Noderunner, the first original vehicle created for UT2004. Not a simple port, I've completely redesigned it from the ground-up.

The mission is the same: go fast, strike fast. Its relatively heavy weapons loadout is balanced by low armor, meaning that it is best used for high-speed transport and hit-and-run operations. With additional firepower provided by the second crewman, you can provide support where your team needs it, when they need it.

Design: While the original Noderunner looked "okay" for what it was, I've learned a lot in the years since then and wanted to create something more substantial that still fit within the concept. Instead of a speeder bike-type vehicle, the new version is more robust while still being compact. It also will feature animations for the different components, such as animated thrust reversers and a rotary missile launcher.

Latest Images:

October 23:
    Getting to close to completion on the main fuselage texture. Most of the weathering is in place along with the specular, emissive, and normal maps. Here's the most recent image:

Earlier Images:

October 19: The work on the textures continues. Here you see the Emissive layers in action for the "Red" team. I've also been redesigning the gunner's turret (this shot still shows the old one) to make it tie in a bit better with the UT-verse. In addition, I've been studying the existing vehicles. It looks like I'll need a damaged skin for the NR2 as well.

October 13: Been working a lot on the specular maps and tweaking the normal map a bit more, plus adding more and more detail. I've been trying to get the HUD texture setup properly, but for some reason I can't figure out how to import a texture with Alpha. [Scratches Head] In Ued3.0 it was dead easy, but no matter what, in the Roboblitz editor it won't take! I might start another post on it to see if I can get some help.

October 11:
    Latest updates, now in the Unreal Editor with a complete normal map and very early texturing.

October 8: Here's an overview with partial normal mapping on the fuselage (turret and missile launcher are separate models):

Cockpit view: The HUD and left/right displays will have animated textures. If I can align it properly, the HUD will also function as a gunsight. In an ideal world, I'd like to display the speed of the machine on one of the displays using a scripted texture, but we'll see how far I can get with that.

And just for a bit of nostalgia, the original NR:

Last edited by WickedPenguin; 10-23-2007 at 11:55 AM.
    Current Project:
    NodeRunner Mk.2
    Past Projects
    Online Map/Mesh Portfolio
    UT2004 Vehicles: Noderunner / Flakrat / Gorilla / Fireblade
    Red Orchestra Maps: RO-Mga / RO-PartisanForest / RO-POW_Train_Escape / RO-KorsunAirfield / RO-Aksay / BS-FallenEmpire

Marrow Fiend

nice looking vehicle there, sounds like you've got it planned to the T.
    UT40K:The Chosen - Warhammer 40,000 for UDK
    ut40kgeodav - UE4 Tutorials
    UT3 Tutorials - Characters - Weapons - Vehicles - FaceFX
    UDK Tutorials - Basics - Vehicles - Characters - Weapons

MSgt. Shooter Person

Its looking great, keep it up! I remember playing around with the original NR a few times, it was pretty nice!
    ASUS Mobo, 2 gigs RAM
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU
    GeForce 8800GT
    Windows Vista

MSgt. Shooter Person

I remember the Fireblade, when will it come out of Beta? ROFLMAO, just joking.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Looks nice!
    I just hope it won't drag down weaker GPUs

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm plugging away at it today. Hopefully I'll have the normal maps done today or tomorrow so I can move on to the colors and textures. Then it's on to completing the gun turret and rocket launcher, including final model and animation.

Quote Originally Posted by XenonG View Post
    I remember the Fireblade, when will it come out of Beta? ROFLMAO, just joking.
    Here you go, LOL. I tried to post it on ModDB eons ago and it never "took". Oh well...
    http://ut2004.wickedpenguin.com/files/Fireblade.rar

Quote Originally Posted by re8 View Post
    Looks nice!
    I just hope it won't drag down weaker GPUs
    I don't think it'll have any signifigant impact. The finished model - fuselage, turrets, missile launcher - is about 5000 triangles, less than the UT2004 Hellbender. I don't know if normal maps affect the "weight" at all but the normal map here is far less complex than the character normal maps.
    Current Project:
    NodeRunner Mk.2
    Past Projects
    Red Orchestra Maps: RO-Mga / RO-PartisanForest / RO-POW_Train_Escape / RO-KorsunAirfield / RO-Aksay / BS-FallenEmpire

MSgt. Shooter Person

Your model of the Noderunner is way better than the original.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks for the Download link for Fireblade, lol.

Skaarj

keep that up man

MSgt. Shooter Person

Latest updates, now in the Unreal Editor with a complete normal map and very early texturing.

Current Project:
    NodeRunner Mk.2
    Past Projects

MSgt. Shooter Person

Wow, this looks pretty good, shaping up really nicely. Can't wait to run it around Torlan2, lol. :P

Hey Wicked We at work loved the Flak Rat and Node Runners I am looking forward to UT3 Node Runner, looks sweet.

1 more for old times sake.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by ROS_DukeMaster View Post
    Hey Wicked We at work loved the Flak Rat and Node Runners I am looking forward to UT3 Node Runner, looks sweet.
    Wow, that's so cool. I'm glad you guys enjoyed them.

The UT3 NR should be pretty similar to the original in terms of speed and performance. Like the original NR, I'm using it as a "prototype" so I can wrap my head around the design process in the new engine. Should be fun! :P
    Current Project:
    NodeRunner Mk.2
    Past Projects

MSgt. Shooter Person

We still use the original noderunner on our UT2004 VCTF server. Can't wait to get this as the first piece of the puzzle to recreate our VCTF server for UT3!

Keep up the great work!

MSgt. Shooter Person

looks cool. I'm sure the application of it is cool & fun.
    There is nothing giving it the impression of being able to hover or fly however.
    There's not even room in it for a controversial engine.
    Model how it is given flying ability or no company will ever
    consider it a serious model.
    Great modelling here don't get me wrong.
    The concept is flawed is all.
    :nudge:nudge:
    Just my 2 cents is all.
    Proc: AMD 4200+ X2 dual core Video: 1950 Pro 512
    Ram: 2048 DDR 2 667 Mouse: MS wireless laser 5000
    note: Creative cards suck really bad. Do yourself a favor and buy something else if you really need sound. Nothing but driver issue, after driver issue with creative.

Skaarj

all looks great, keep it up

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by KellyPratt View Post
    looks cool. I'm sure the application of it is cool & fun.
    There is nothing giving it the impression of being able to hover or fly however.
    There's not even room in it for a controversial engine.
    Model how it is given flying ability or no company will ever
    consider it a serious model.
    Great modelling here don't get me wrong.
    The concept is flawed is all.
    :nudge:nudge:
    Just my 2 cents is all.
    I appreciate the comments. Actually that was addressed long ago when I was first designing the machine. I just haven't shown the underside of the Noderunner fuselage yet.

(Ignore the incomplete texture and reversed normals on the right wing, LOL)

The basic function of the Noderunner propulsion and lift system is as follows:

To achieve hovering and vertical flight, the Noderunner twin turbofan engines divert around 80% of their fan bleed air output to four under-fuselage vent systems. The vents are located in the main wing as well as the forward sections of the cannon sponsons. This action provides a direct downward force to raise the craft off the ground and clear of obstacles up to 5 feet high.

The remaining 20% of the first stage fan output is sent through to the compressor stage, and used to provide forward thrust. While still only 20% of available jet thrust, it is sufficient to propel the Noderunner to a speed where the stub wings and forward canard begin generating lift. As the wings generate more lift, more and more of the engine bleed air is routed to the compressor to provide ever-increasing thrust. Given the amount of power the engines produce, the transition from vented thrust to actual wing-generated lift takes moments as the Noderunner accelerates.

While the wings are not large enough - nor designed for - sustained high-altitude flight, they provide more than enough lift for operating the aircraft within 10-20 feet of the ground. This is based off the "Wing in Ground Effect" principle, which has been used in numerous prototype aircraft (Google "Caspian Sea Monster" for the extreme example). In short, when an aircraft flies close to the ground the airflow from the wings creates a cushion of air and thus increases lift. This enables a craft with proportionally larger wings to fly slower closer to the ground without stalling, or - in the case of the Noderunner - a craft with proportionally smaller wings to fly as long as a higher speed is maintained. Longitudinal stability is provided by small vertical fins.

To assist with stability, the Noderunner center of gravity is directly behind the forward cockpit. The weight of the rotary missile launcher aft is offset by the heavy weight of the battery cells which power the forward laser cannons (these are located in the sponsons on either side of the cockpit). The mass of the relatively lightweight turbofan engines are counterbalanced by the necessarily long and heavy laser cannon barrels and muzzle cooling systems. The end result is a craft that is highly balanced and easy to control through all performance regimes.

----------------

I'm actually pretty familiar with aerodynamics. I'm a private pilot and an air traffic controller, and grew up around the airline industry and aircraft. I also keep up with a lot of the aviation and science publications out there to see what the newest technology is. While I realize that games and movies have to stretch the truth for entertainment, I much prefer sci-fi and action designers to maintain a degree of plausibility in what they create.

I recall a statement from a Star Wars Prequel Trilogy designer talking about vehicle design. I can't find the exact quote, but in describing Obi Wan's airspeeder from Episode II, he said something to the affect of: "I don't wonder how something I designed is built in its factory and I don't care how it works. I just design it."

I don't adhere to that school of thought. I like to know how things work. That's why I prefer functional designs - like the Aliens Dropship and APC - versus "fantastical" designs that have no realistic grounding. Have fun with the design and make it cool, but at the same time, if someone asks "how" have a reasonable answer that doesn't sound like total technobabble B.S..
    Last edited by WickedPenguin; 10-14-2007 at 10:38 PM.
    Current Project:
    NodeRunner Mk.2
    Past Projects

Skaarj

Thumbs up

Looks fantastic! Can't wait to see it in action in UT3!
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Socket 939 GPU: Radeon X1600 Pro PCI-Express Motherboard: GeForce 6100 M9 RAM: 2X Crucial 512MB DDR400 HDD: Western Digital 150GB SATA & 120GB ATA DVD Drive: Dynex 16X DVDRW Sound Card: SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 Display: Sharp LL-M17W1U 17" Widescreen LCD TV/Monitor

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: StuntF50

That is gorgeous.

We will be able to use this on the PLAYSTATION 3 version, right?
    STUNT

MSgt. Shooter Person

October 19: The work on the textures continues. Here you see the Emissive layers in action for the "Red" team. I've also been redesigning the gunner's turret (this shot still shows the old one) to make it tie in a bit better with the UT-verse. In addition, I've been studying the existing vehicles. It looks like I'll need a damaged skin for the NR2 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stunt View Post
    That is gorgeous.

We will be able to use this on the PLAYSTATION 3 version, right?
    Thanks!! According to Epic, mods should be cross-compatible between the PC and PS3. The question mark is delivery: can you just download them from the internet like a regular file on a PC and install it, or will there be some kind of "mod mall" where PS3 users can browse for mods?
    Current Project:
    NodeRunner Mk.2
    Past Projects

MSgt. Shooter Person

Considering how current UT3 vehicles appear to take localised damage, depending on where they're being hit, would it be possible to script the sponsons connectors to snap after a certain amount of localised damage?
    If done right, this could also be used to restrict top speeds, maneouvreability and acceleration.

I'm not sure if that's possible though

MSgt. Shooter Person

Latest update:

Current Project:
    NodeRunner Mk.2
    Past Projects

Banned

Looking nice there

MSgt. Shooter Person

Damn....that looks good! What are you using for the modeling and texturing? Maya, 3DSMAX ????

Are you doing the textures in photoshop?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Very nice looking!
    RESPECT!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Very nice.
    There's a little tex stretching here and there, like you used a cube projection or something. But it won't be a big deal in-game.
    How is damage handled? I presumed they were just decals on the vehicle - or do you have to make a whole new skin?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by {SAP}THEEDGE View Post
    Damn....that looks good! What are you using for the modeling and texturing? Maya, 3DSMAX ????

Are you doing the textures in photoshop?
    Thanks! I'm using the following:
    * Maya 6.0 (ye olde skoole)
    * Photoshop 7 (olde skoole again)
    * CrazyBump beta
    * Roboblitz's Unreal Editor
    * Wacom Intuous 2 Graphics tablet

I'll probably be making my own sounds for it too, and for that I'll be using:
    * Sound Forge
    * Cakewalk Sonar

Quote Originally Posted by {SAP}THEEDGE View Post
    Very nice.
    There's a little tex stretching here and there, like you used a cube projection or something. But it won't be a big deal in-game.
    How is damage handled? I presumed they were just decals on the vehicle - or do you have to make a whole new skin?
    There's no cube projection on there, just some specularity to give it a metallic shine. I'm going to tone it back on some areas (it's a cloth seat, not a naugahyde one, LOL). Could you point out which areas seem to have some stretching? I'd like to fix that.

As far as the damage modelling, it's hard to tell how they do it. There's definitely texture replacement, fading, or overlays. In viewing the game in wireframe, parts of the mesh are also replaced. However, I'm not certain if they replace the entire mesh, just certain parts of it, or if it's some kind of animation trickery. I also can't view the demo's vehicle packages inside the Roboblitz Editor (completely crashes out) so I can't sneak a peek at their meshes.
    Current Project:
    NodeRunner Mk.2
    Past Projects

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by WickedPenguin View Post
    I'll probably be making my own sounds for it too, and for that I'll be using:
    * Sound Forge
    * Cakewalk Sonar
    Let me know if you'd like to off-load the sounds to me; I'm pretty good at it, & even program synths/effects via SynthMaker (sounds/music is basically the main reason for me getting back into UT).

MSgt. Shooter Person

Wow...new sounds! I can't believe they didn't even change the startup sound of the goliath in the demo. I hope they change and update all the sounds in the official release...

MSgt. Shooter Person

O.K. Where and how do you create those vehicles? Please some kind of tutorial.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I learned originally via the UT2004 DVD version, which had a pretty comprehensive video tutorial series on making a wheeled vehicle. I also had a lot of community help on the original Noderunner, which was my first vehicle. It really got me on my way as far as UV-mapping and code ("Word up" to MrEvil and BigCheese if they're still around). After the Noderunner, I had enough of a foundation to tackle other projects and experiment a lot with different code and animations.

The two most important things to have as far as vehicle design are:

1) A mission. Every vehicle ever designed in the real world was built for a purpose. The mission drives the look, performance, and the features of the vehicle. A fighter jet will be small, nimble, and armed with light weapons. A ground attack plane will be slower and heavier, but more heavily armed. One good method is basing your vehicle off of a real-world equivalent. For instance, the Fireblade was similar in mission to the AH-64 Apache helicopter or A-10 Warthog. The FB looks nothing like the Apache or Warthog, but it looks and flies like it fulfills their mission.

2) A plan. Once you have your mission and your basic design, you need to get a plan in order to execute it. Put together a workflow chart or outline and stick to it.

Here's my plan of attack for the NR2, just to give a general idea of the workflow. This is all based on the assumption that the UT3 vehicle process is similar to the UT2004 workflow, but with more detail and capabilities added (normal maps, damage modelling).

1. Concept sketch (done in my sketchbook).
    2. Basic modelling of the fuselage in Maya.
    3. Model refinement.
    4. UV-mapping and optimization.
    5. Normal mapping.
    6. Specular texture.
    7. Color texture.
    8. Weathering effects.
    9. Emissive textures (headlights, controls, etc.)
    10. Texture animation (animated lights, cockpit screens, etc.)
    11. Skeleton and skinning.
    12. Animation clips (thrust reversers, weapon animations)
    13. Export skeletal mesh and clips to UT-compatible formats.
    14. Create "exploded" version.
    // Everything below relies on having the Unreal Editor and access to the source code.
    15. Export the UT3 code and analyze how the Manta is operated. Analyze the damage process.
    16. Get the drivable NR2 skeletal mesh functioning with the Manta code without any weapons (the Manta is the closest equivalent, so it's a good starting point).
    17. Add on the NR2 weapon systems. Position players.
    18. Tweak weapons for balance and vehicle for performance.
    19. Create any damage assets required (damaged skin, damaged meshes, etc.)
    20. Make animation clips functional in-game via code.
    21. Create custom sounds for weapons, engines, and animations.
    22. Test internally.
    23. Conduct private beta test online.
    24. Write server and player documentation.
    25. Create ModDB site and personal site.
    26. Release public beta.
    27. Receive and discuss feedback.
    28. Tweak.
    29. Release second public beta (if necessary).
    30. Feedback.
    31. Tweak.
    32. Release final version.
    33. Breathe.
    34. Come up with new vehicle. Repeat steps 1-32 again.

So far I'm around #9 and #10, with a little bit of #3 and #4 left to do just on the weapon systems.
    Last edited by WickedPenguin; 10-24-2007 at 05:52 PM.
    Current Project:
    NodeRunner Mk.2
    Past Projects

MSgt. Shooter Person

^^^ this post needs to be on the WiKi or a website or something!

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: *ask for xfire

The textures need ALOT of work. Right now it's very monotoned and undetailed. It seems your wasting the resolution your at. The hi res close up detail I can see there, would really be the equivalent of a detail map. Get more colour variation in there, just very very subtle colour changes and some more wear and tear.

Nice model, but yeah, the textures are very weak.
    Dane Brennand - Texture/concept artist.
    Elke Jean Brennand 4/3/91 - 24/5/07 I will allways remember you, little sister ll Elke's Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mR_r0b0to View Post
    OH MY GOD 108 inches
    Thats what she said.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I'm currently using a 2048x2048 texture for the entire vehicle, with additional textures for the weapon systems and cockpit instruments. I was going for a more "olive drab" look with the vehicle, but have been adding some color variations to make certain features "pop" a bit more. There's also some features that are yet to be textured; the normal map is in, but the coloring/specular hasn't been added.

I can't seem to figure out how to add a detail texture in the new UnrealEd. In UED3.0 it was very easy, but not here (actually, it's probably simple, but I can't seem to locate it, LOL). If you can point me towards how I can do that, I'd be grateful. Google has turned up nothing so far for me.
    Current Project:
    NodeRunner Mk.2
    Past Projects

MSgt. Shooter Person

Been a while since I posted on this. I had to put it on hold due to a bunch of real-life issues I've been dealing with.

I wanted to get this thing off the ground and have been looking into how to create the code for this vehicle. It's proving pretty tricky for me right now. If anyone could help me out with the coding, I'd be very appreciative.

I aim to use the Manta code as a starting point.
    Current Project:
    NodeRunner Mk.2
    Past Projects

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Fr0z3nB0nes

Try contacting captainsnarf, he's a vehicle champ

Marrow Fiend

i did a little tutorial over at my mod site which might help you along but as marilol says captainsnarf seems to know more on the coding side of vehicles
    UT40K:The Chosen - Warhammer 40,000 for UDK
    ut40kgeodav - UE4 Tutorials
    UT3 Tutorials - Characters - Weapons - Vehicles - FaceFX
    UDK Tutorials - Basics - Vehicles - Characters - Weapons

MSgt. Shooter Person

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by marilol View Post
    Try contacting captainsnarf, he's a vehicle champ
    ya sorry to break ya heart marilol i mean captain snarf can mod vehicles pretty good but when it comes to makeing the vehicle[you know the design] he doesnt have a clue but if penguine needs help with the weapon sytem then i say what the hell get snarf up here
    I am the green thunder, so there for i must help thoose in need or be as kick ass as posible

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast