MSgt. Shooter Person

Exclamation Art Competition for Digital Art and Hand Drawn

Lately, I've seen so many talented artists whether it be Photoshop Art, Hand drawn or just touched up originals. So I thought to myself, "Who would be willing to go all out in a competition to find the best Artist of Epic Games forums?"
    Now if your down with my idea then read on but if your not then you can still take part in the judging. Heres how it will go:

Hand Drawn Art:

Higher Standard (Experienced Artists)
    Grade 2 (Fairly Experienced)
    Grade 1 (Can just about manage a Crimson Omen without ruining it)

Digital Art:

Higher Standard (75% or more their own material with many effects and layers)
    Grade 2 (25% or More their own material with some effects to touch it up)
    Grade 1 (Just a touched up image)

How it works
    : Entrants will post 1 or 2 samples of their work. They will then state whether it was hand drawn or a Photoshop piece. Then I will decide what Grade they will be placed at. On 20th September the Entries will end and the competition will begin. I myself will be entering but I cannot grade myself for obvious reasons, so I will let you lot decide my grade.
    I will rank you according to this scheme just so you know.

Digital Art

Lighting: 0-3
    Effects: 0-3
    Masks/Layer: 0-3
    Renders: 0-3
    Total/Level: 0-12

Higher Standard: 9-12
    Grade 2: 5-8
    Grade 1: 1-4

Hand Drawn Art

Lighting/Shading: 0-3
    Colour: 0-3
    Standard of Copy (How close to the original it looks): 0-3
    Size: 0-3
    Total/Level: 0-12

Higher Standard: 9-12
    Grade 2: 5-8
    Grade 1: 1-4

Rules

Size: No smaller than 170x170 Pixels / 6cm / 2.3"Inches
    Theme: Gears of War only, Anything other than Gears of War doesn't count
    End of competition: When all Art after 20th September has been submitted
    No Rude content: That means no pictures of Anya nude you hand drawers!
    No work that isn't yours. You can still have originals but you must post the link to the original image as well.

Anyways I think thats just about everything so let the Entries begin! I will be judging and good luck to everyone.
    Any questions or comments please PM me.

Marrow Fiend

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: irishdudewill

Cool idea. I have one question. Does the content have to made specifically for this competition, or will prior made content be allowed?
    Bacon, it's what's for dinner!

I'm in, confused as hell about the rules, but I'm sure it will all work out.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Heh heh, Sorry if it's a little confusing. Crotale, The content must be made originally for this competition, Although you can obviously use it for anything else you like. If anyone would like to stop people copying their content in this comp then you can put your name it transparent kind of lettering on it somewhere to stop others using it for their own use. Content made before this comp was suggested is allowed as long as it still abides by the rules. Although when the finals kick in you will probably need to start depending on some fresh content.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TDSpiral94

2 questions:

1.) Where do we post the artwork when we are finished? Through a PM or on this thread?

2.) What if you use a pen tablet to draw on Photoshop? Does that count as hand-drawn or digital?
    Preferred Gear: Carmine
    Preferred Locust: Sniper
    Preferred Weapon: Hammer Of Dawn
    Preferred Map: Fuel Depot

MSgt. Shooter Person

A.
    1) Post it in this thread.
    2) If you use a Computer to draw or spike up your entries in any way it will be classed as photoshop even though it might not have been edited at all. This is because you can use Graphic Tablets to easily draw with different brushes/ Colours etc. It is an unfair advantage. I have a tablet so I know the difference. And of corse you can scan your images in before any asks

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Officer Green

the 20th, ehh, bit early and short notice; but I'll try and if not I can always enter in my ugly Locust queen drawing

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BOCHO360

Quote Originally Posted by JAZCASH View Post
    A.
    1) Post it in this thread.
    2) If you use a Computer to draw or spike up your entries in any way it will be classed as photoshop even though it might not have been edited at all. This is because you can use Graphic Tablets to easily draw with different brushes/ Colours etc. It is an unfair advantage. I have a tablet so I know the difference. And of corse you can scan your images in before any asks
    Well i have to say "theres no such thing as easily draw", you have to have talent or skills to draw.

any ways i have a question:

it has to be gears of war artwork only?
    http://mx.geocities.com/bochokarate/gow_00.PNG

Not having a Gears of War 2 its like not hearing Air Suply in Valentines day

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by bochog3 View Post
    Well i have to say "theres no such thing as easily draw", you have to have talent or skills to draw.

any ways i have a question:

it has to be gears of war artwork only?
    What I stated was that is is easy to change colour and brushes effects ect with a graphics tablet compared to drawing. And yes, It has to be Gears based.

The 20th??? Okay then, I'd better get something done.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TDSpiral94

Does seem a little short notice to work anything really elaborate and in good detail, but I'm sure people can do it. I know I'll be submitting something tomorrow or Wednesday.
    Preferred Gear: Carmine
    Preferred Locust: Sniper
    Preferred Weapon: Hammer Of Dawn
    Preferred Map: Fuel Depot

MSgt. Shooter Person

Well the entries are entered in on the 20th. Although I could raise that if you all want. But the actual competitions won't end until all the competitions are over which could be some time. So you can submit anything you like for the entry and I will judge it and place you in your groups.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I declare this thread dead. If anyone wants to make any random submissions I will rate them.

Hey, I guess I missed it.

But here's what I was going to enter anyway. I always wanted to show what the rest of Kiyoko's squad looked like. So heres two of them....

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/2...mortis1bs5.jpg

(I didn't have time to do Diego.... )

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Verbrennen

This is a mixed media piece. Layer 1 was a color printout on matte high-grain photo paper. Layer 2 was a black and white printout on the same type of paper with the blue painted in using a watery brush acrylic technique. The character was cut out and pasted onto the color print. Layer 3 was matte sealant that made it scan all funky. Anyway, here it is. It looks way cooler with the layering in real-life (also because it doesn't look all flakey) but alas.

The second one I'd also like to consider mixed media though the "Gears" part of it is entirely digital. The layer 1 picture is from DragonCon, when I carried around my lancer Friday of Con I had some pretty wicked awesome bruise and cut stage makeup that I did myself. The second layer (the pupil) was digitally blended in from a run of the mill crimson omen picture. Here.
    Last edited by Verbrennen; 10-04-2007 at 07:46 PM.

Skaarj

well i guess i would have joint except i was going to go 3d rendering with mine and make an actual usable model you could even use in the game... Well i better get started on it anyways. xD yay for D-Maps w00t!!!
    BFG 8800 GTX OC = $800.00
    Intel core 2 duo Extreme = $500.00
    8 Gigs 1033 MHz Ram = $1000.00
    Noticing your ass is being pwnd by bots...
    ...priceless