Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Field of vision

Exclamation Field of vision

I don't know or remember if any previous Unreal's did this but as a avid quake I was just curious as to the question of will you be implementing anything that allows for the change of Field of vision? I personally feel this adds another level of custom play but some probably think otherwise, so I thought I'd ask.

Redeemer

Are you reffering to DOF (Depth of Field)? Cause if so, I myself am curious about this. In some of the photos i've seen has DOF but I don't seem to notice this in the videos.
    MOBO: ASUS P5E WS Professional CPU: Intel Q6600 @3.7 ~ on air 42c avg VIDEO: EVGA 8800GTS 512MB @670/1940 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 2gig ~ 5-5-5-15 2.5vOS: Win XP Sp2 DX9.0C
    Home: Frogtown Hollow NJ Occupation: mending fences Interests: playing washtub bass, digital photography, mountain biking, hiking and watching NJ Devils hockey.

Banned

i've never heard of it being referred to as dop... always fov.

in all the PC unreal games out so far, you can change the fov by typing fov * into the console (like the cg_fov command for quake 3)

MSgt. Shooter Person

Ive never heard dof referred to as dop :P

Also, in the UT2 games you could change your fov in the in-game settings screen. I can't imagine they would remove that ability for UT3 considering so many currently players use fov's other than the default.

You could also set it in the ini files.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: baeowolf

i always have my fov at 110 so i have to use the ini's. I dont see a reason though why they would take that out for UT3. So many people use it...

Banned

180° for me!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Lol WOW...180? how can you see clearly? i guess is safe to assume you have a key or two bound to reduce that for long range? I was playing when you replied and just tried it. I feel like my eyes are looking outwards. *shakes head*

MSgt. Shooter Person

the symbol after the 180 means degree's. so i doubt he meant he had it set at 180, just that he can see that much

Quote Originally Posted by plays_in_traffick View Post
    Lol WOW...180? how can you see clearly? i guess is safe to assume you have a key or two bound to reduce that for long range? I was playing when you replied and just tried it. I feel like my eyes are looking outwards. *shakes head*
    Obvious, he has a wiiiiiiiiiide screen.

And how he sees clear? Well...you know, if you cook your monitor* in boiling oil for some minutes (in a special sac to prevent leaks) and give the result to a decent blacksmith, he can bent the thing so it becomes pretty much half a circle rather than a flat image. Perfect for gaming...

...if it wasn't that online, you're capped between (IIRC) 80 and 110. :-\

*a flatscreen; CRT's tend to break up at the back if you stretch them too much.
    The game looks and plays great, Epic!

My ideas for improving the User Interface can be found here

MSgt. Shooter Person

Field Of View 110.
    -UT r0x0r.

Seriously...

Lol WOW...180? how can you see clearly?
    I'm guessing that was a joke seeing as FOV 180 is technically impossible.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Boksha View Post
    FOV 180 is technically impossible.
    On the contrary. i have a 180˚ view range. its called peripheral vision

Seriously...

I meant in a computer game, of course. Many prey animals can see more than 180 degrees around them.
    (actually it might not be technically impossible, but as far as I know no engine supports it because they all rely on the exact same linear transformation to create depth)
    Last edited by Boksha; 09-13-2007 at 08:15 AM.

Playing at FOV 107.5 here

Banned

Depth pf Field is the term for the fact that our focal range is limited, and so we can't see everything with equal clarity at all ranges. Our eyes adjust depth of field constantly, (until age lessens our ability to do so, and we need correction) and our brain "edit" information continually, so we don't even notice the effect. But depth of field can be seen in photographs, where certain objects are in sharp focus, while those closer or further away are steadily more blurred.

Implementing a Depth of Field effect would be excellent, though not any more accurate than a "lens flare", since our eyes edit and alter themselves to avoid "seeing" the effect, and it's only visible with cameras.

Still, having the character's weapon be out of focus would be pretty cool, since you're continually looking out beyond it. But the problem is that, as a player, it should shift back into focus when you actually do look at it, and the rest of the scene should shift out of focus. So whatever you look directly at would be in focus, and, if done correctly, you'd never directly see the blurring effect, so it'd probably not worth the effort and overhead.

Well hopefully they implement a command to change fov isntead of messing with the ini then

Redeemer

115 FOV for me, i use to play with 80 FOV when i put 100 it was way better then i reached 115 and staid there

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

I know it is technically impossible to see that 180 degree for humans but still, have you tried typing "fov 180" in your command console? lol even if you do have a widescreen like i do (800x1280) the entire view is distorted. kinda fun sometimes to joke around with but its impractical imo to use. Too many things are flying by on the screen at a time and it makes it harder to see people directly in front of you. Havent tried with two monitors though. haha but noe that I think of it 2 monitors wouldnt work well in a fps cause the split in the middle...might look cool on 3 widescreens though. haha if its possible with UT2.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I think epic should set up fov automatically for monitor aspect. e.g. 4*3=90 degrees, 16*10=100 degrees. All this fiddling with fov (mostly to make it as small as possible for a michelin man effect that makes hitscan easier) is verging on a cheat.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

lol that would be sweet, and lol

Seriously...

I know it is technically impossible to see that 180 degree for humans but still, have you tried typing "fov 180" in your command console?
    When you type "fov 180", the game sets a FOV of 170 (try it, you can clearly see the difference between "fov 169" and "fov 170" but not between "fov 170" and "fov 171"). The limit of 170 is arbitrary, they could've used anything less than 180; it just can't be 180 or higher. And the problem isn't humans (in fact, most people can see slightly over 180 degrees) but the way the game renders the game world. That's also what causes that weird distortion when you play with such a high FOV.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathByDribbling View Post
    I think epic should set up fov automatically for monitor aspect. e.g. 4*3=90 degrees, 16*10=100 degrees. All this fiddling with fov (mostly to make it as small as possible for a michelin man effect that makes hitscan easier) is verging on a cheat.

Won't happen but I agee with this idea. UT and Quake are way too haxor friendly for some stuff that coudl/should be hardwired.

Iron Guard

FOV and DOF are 2 different things (3 if you include DOP)

FOV - field of view - what most people are talking about, regarding peripheral vision, etc
    DOF - the focus thing (mentioned before)
    DOP - director of photography, who would understand these things.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Yeah! Will FOV be adjustable in UT3 like in UT2004?

FOV110 looks great on my monitor! FOV FTW!

MSgt. Shooter Person

I see no reason why field of vision won't be changable offline but a lot of online servers, usually through third party mods (at least until now) disable it due to it being potentially usable to hotkey a makeshift zoom on a gun that shouldn't zoom

Marrow Fiend

There is usually a range you can have online. I think there's a cap or something. Trying to think, but I've run into situations where I couldn't go higher than something like 110 on some servers.
    My UT3 Tweaks thread - updated 02/21/2008!

UT3 Patch 1.1

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xKirbox

In demo servers you can have a fov of 50 and have a fun sniping time :P

But only 2 people in this thread actually pointed out FOV and DOF are two entirely different things.

FOV is the amount you can see, DOF puts a blur effect around the periphery of your in game vision, and focuses on what you're looking at (I don't care for it tbh)
    Your signature is over the allowed size. Please read the rules again and adjust. Thank you!

Whoops

Depth of field is... meh. The game can't see where your eyes are pointing, so it'll just assume you're always looking straight at the crosshair. That is not nearly always the case. Imagine you're linking a node, for instance... you'd be scanning the horizons and the skies rather than keeping your eyes trained on the node. The game, however, would focus the node and blur the rest of the screen since it has a very different depth.

Seriously...

Quote Originally Posted by Drintion View Post
    But only 2 people in this thread actually pointed out FOV and DOF are two entirely different things.
    That's because this thread wasn't about DOF to begin with.
    As for limiting FOV online, I think it would suffice to keep people from changing it on-the-go.

Seriously...
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: KriLL38

That's because this thread wasn't about DOF to begin with.
    As for limiting FOV online, I think it would suffice to keep people from changing it on-the-go.
    /waves to Boksha

I agree with that, way too many use a bind to lower their DPI and decrease their FOV when sniping, imo make the mouse slower when zoomed in or something like that but block the FOV change at least, the DPI change can't be restricted since it's based in the drivers/software for your mouse, but lowering the mouse speed while zoomed would level the playing field.

Seriously...

Actually all forms of zooming in already lower your sensitivity. Or rather, the distance the crosshair moves in degrees per unit length you move the mouse is already linearly dependant on FOV.

Seriously...
    Gamer IDs

Actually all forms of zooming in already lower your sensitivity. Or rather, the distance the crosshair moves in degrees per unit length you move the mouse is already linearly dependant on FOV.
    Yeah but at times the change doesn't feel enough, that's why tossers have the mice with DPI changes bound to buttons.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I hope they don't take this feature out, I'm really getting sick of these games with 70 FOV.

Bioshock plays so much better with a higher FOV no thanks to the developers of the game though as it took a clever programmer to make a utility to adjust it out of game.

Iron Guard

whats the command to change it in UT2004?
    My Rig
    CPU: Intel Q6600 GPU: EVGA Geforce 8800 GT Mobo: Asus P5KR RAM: Corsair 2GB DDR2 800 Harddrives: 2 x Seagate 500GB 7200.11Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Displays: Samsung 19" 913B LCD, Samsung 22" 226BW-C LCD
    <Tisk> i bet the whole australia's internet is connected to the other world
    with some guy transferring 1.44MB diskettes on a rowing boat between usa and australia
    now think of NZ

MSgt. Shooter Person

spres ` then type ''FOV 100'' or so
    the max fov is 120 for clan wars at clanbase. what alot of peaple dont know!
    i use 115
    can see more can kill more is my motto
    TriggerHappy!
    Maps that I made, Some require a MOD te be downloaded.
    Forum^: Download: PC/PS3 DM-Focus-SE
    Forum^: Download: PC/PS3 CTF4-AnubisResurrection
    Forum^: Download: PC/PS3 DM-Xiao
    Forum^: Download: PC/PS3 DOM-Contrast + MOD Domination
    Forum^: Download: PC/PS3 RenX-Islands + MOD RenegadeX
    Mess with the best! Die like the rest! Boom HèadShøt!

Seriously...
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by ZixXer View Post
    press `
    It's "ö" on Swedish keyboards and the same char for other Nordic nations also.
    "Your effort to remain what you are is what limits you."

Marrow Fiend

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: irishdudewill

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerdog View Post
    I hope they don't take this feature out, I'm really getting sick of these games with 70 FOV.
    All UT games so far have had a FOV of 90. And in all non-console versions, the FOV has been adjustable through the .ini. Why would you expect this to change now?
    Bacon, it's what's for dinner!

MSgt. Shooter Person

I don't have any problems with people who want to change their DPI or FOV on the fly. If they want to take the game that far, congrats to them

I say keep the same FOV restrictions like they did in all the other UT series games, they worked a treat!

Keen to know what they are going to do in UT3.

When you type "fov 180", the game sets a FOV of 170 (try it, you can clearly see the difference between "fov 169" and "fov 170" but not between "fov 170" and "fov 171"). The limit of 170 is arbitrary, they could've used anything less than 180; it just can't be 180 or higher. And the problem isn't humans (in fact, most people can see slightly over 180 degrees) but the way the game renders the game world. That's also what causes that weird distortion when you play with such a high FOV.
    Actually in ut2k4 the fov max is like 99999 or sumthing, try it is crazy gives u a blurry and alterd tunnel like vision

Quote Originally Posted by Hedge-o-Matic View Post
    Depth pf Field is the term for the fact that our focal range is limited, and so we can't see everything with equal clarity at all ranges. Our eyes adjust depth of field constantly, (until age lessens our ability to do so, and we need correction) and our brain "edit" information continually, so we don't even notice the effect. But depth of field can be seen in photographs, where certain objects are in sharp focus, while those closer or further away are steadily more blurred.

Implementing a Depth of Field effect would be excellent, though not any more accurate than a "lens flare", since our eyes edit and alter themselves to avoid "seeing" the effect, and it's only visible with cameras.

Still, having the character's weapon be out of focus would be pretty cool, since you're continually looking out beyond it. But the problem is that, as a player, it should shift back into focus when you actually do look at it, and the rest of the scene should shift out of focus. So whatever you look directly at would be in focus, and, if done correctly, you'd never directly see the blurring effect, so it'd probably not worth the effort and overhead.
    Your dead on about implementing it in-game problems but if they had sum amazing solution it would make games look ridiculously more realistic along with tv viewing etc i believe 3D-glasses have a side effect simillar to this

Quote Originally Posted by Vash21 View Post
    Actually in ut2k4 the fov max is like 99999 or sumthing
    You may enter 99999, but the game still only takes it as far as 170. or sumthing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast