Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by alfanzo View Post
    fair point void...atlast someone not so ignorant to consider the options lol
    he Well, neither the console purists or the pc separatists have it in them. And I do hope that Epic does not listen to the extremists on either side in this issue. Especially since it can be solved so that the fundamentalists cannot tell the difference and continue to live undisturbed in their sect's secluded societies, while the rest of us meet up and have some fun

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rein View Post
    UT3 does not use Games for Windows LIVE. We have not decided about cross platform play between PC and PS3. We're not 100% sure that users want that feature but if we get time we'll play around with it and see how it works. In the mean time we plan to be able to serve the PS3 from PC servers so that should help us gets lots of great servers going.
    Keeping the extra marketing and advertising away from this game is by far one of the most important things to me. Unreal is about escaping reality so in-game ads are not good for the game experience. I'm very happy to hear that Epic will be preserving the title by leaving things like GFWL out of UT. Thanks for that.

MSgt. Shooter Person

UT3 does not use Games for Windows LIVE. We have not decided about cross platform play between PC and PS3. We're not 100% sure that users want that feature but if we get time we'll play around with it and see how it works. In the mean time we plan to be able to serve the PS3 from PC servers so that should help us gets lots of great servers going.
    Dedicated Servers, yes?

But anyways....what about Games for Windows Live being fully integrated into the UE3 tools? Is that something developers can choose to set, seeing as how you're avoiding it, or did UT3 only get GFWL-free since it was in development before the "partnership?"

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by SKaREO View Post
    Keeping the extra marketing and advertising away from this game is by far one of the most important things to me. Unreal is about escaping reality so in-game ads are not good for the game experience. I'm very happy to hear that Epic will be preserving the title by leaving things like GFWL out of UT. Thanks for that.
    Has there been an official statement with regards to no in-game ads?

I was rather surprised to see id software cave into the marketing madness thatĺs gripped game developers, even Valve went back and added ads to Counter Strike so nothing is sacred anymore it seems.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Mark is my new hero, I'm getting a poster of him for my office

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by SKaREO View Post
    When it comes to ads, Epic has to do what they have to do. That wouldn't stop me from buying UT3 in the slightest bit.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WisdomWarrior

Thumbs up

Is there any more news about cross platform play?

I'm dying to know what they have decided (I really want it, as a PS3 gamer)

If no new information, how much longer before we will get some feedback?

Quote Originally Posted by dozerking View Post
    When it comes to ads, Epic has to do what they have to do. That wouldn't stop me from buying UT3 in the slightest bit.
    Epic is doing what the want to do, they don't need to do anything. They make the best decision they can and the outcome will be a success. I have only a very small problem with the adverts themselves, its more about where the funds are going and how they are being implemented. In recent games such as BF2142 and ET:QW, they implemented dynamically served advertising and the profits go straight to the developers and also to a third-party in-game advertising agency, ontop of the profit they are earning for their intellectual property.

Funding from out side sources such as advertising and marketing campaigns are tastefully implemented when the gamers, the public, see the benefits by lowered costs to the consumers. For instance, Pepsi Inc. can fund 15 dedicated servers in the community and place advertising on their welcome messages and perhaps on in-game billboards. That would be considered fair, albeit a bit out of place. Who wants to see car ads, ads for the latest DVDs or soda pop drinks that shouldn't even exist in the Unreal universe. Is it really more profitable if the salability of the game is diminished?

Another issue is the adware that it brings, yes that right, spyware that you willfully install on your computer. It tracks what ads you look at and how long. It also records your computer specs, your game ID, and your IP. These sort of things are going too far in my firm opinion. I will refuse to buy any games with dynamic advertising imbedded, and I try to keep as much SPAM and unwanted advertising out of my life as possible. I don't care if it is more relevant to my interests either, if I'm interested in buying something I'll do my own research. I don't want one-way, loaded marketing messages being shoved in my face everywhere I go, I certainly don't want to pay full price to see it in my games either.

The only way to do it right is to force the advertising companies to foot the server costs rather than reaping games for every penny they can, the community seeing very little in return. If they implement ads they need to put the option to disable them, and they should give back to people foot thousands of dollars on hosting bills. That's my personal opinion about all of this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chu::LOB:: View Post
    console vs. pc could spawn whole new realms of fun/competition and keep the community larger/longer/more active...
    I second that.

Prisoner 849

This poor beaten dead horse

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12