Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MSgt. Shooter Person

Default UT3 will be DX10 and in "The Way Its Meant To Be Played" program

Mark Rein confirmed that Unreal Tournament 3 will be DX10 and in "The Way Its Meant To Be Played" program for launch.

Source: May 10, 2007 |http://blogs.nvidia.com/developers/2..._be_direc.html

www.Unrealbase.de - Your Gate to the world of Unreal Tournament 3
    IRC Channel on Quakenet: ut-3
    UT3 Vehicle Database | UT3 Weapon Database | UT3 Movie Database

MSgt. Shooter Person

hmm. I hope it doesnt end up running better on nVidia cards D:

dx10 = :up:

Marrow Fiend

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: irishdudewill

Epic has already confirmed that UT3 will be DX10 but will support DX9. This press release is more about NVidia than UT3. All it means to me is that I will have to make a non-NVidia version of the "The Way Its Meant To Be Played" thingy.
    Bacon, it's what's for dinner!

MSgt. Shooter Person

DX 10 the way they did DX 9 for the UT2kx series? cause that was hardly noticable. i hope we will see some benefits from this implementation.

Redeemer

Quote Originally Posted by Killalot0 View Post
    DX 10 the way they did DX 9 for the UT2kx series? cause that was hardly noticable. i hope we will see some benefits from this implementation.
    UT2k4 won't even run after choosing dx9 rendering, at least not with the latest patch, I'm sure this time it will be a proper implementation for DX10.

I just wish (selfishly) they were only busy developing UT3 for the PC not PS3 and x360, even though I understand that that is where the money is after GOW's success . Pc gamers seem to have been forever waiting compared to these new formats.

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Crotale View Post
    Epic has already confirmed that UT3 will be DX10 but will support DX9. This press release is more about NVidia than UT3. All it means to me is that I will have to make a non-NVidia version of the "The Way Its Meant To Be Played" thingy.
    Where did they confirm this? The last thing I heard from Epic was that it was built as a DX9 game but would also support DX10.

Marrow Fiend

Gamer IDs

Ok, UT3 will require DX9 at a minimum but will also support DX10. Is that better?

Prisoner 849

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: AryssSkaHara PSN ID: AryssSkaHara

I remember Tim Sweeney saying at E3 or GDC that DX10 will be used only as optimization.
    Last edited by _Lynx; 05-11-2007 at 04:15 PM.
    "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
    - RenegadeRetard

Marrow Fiend

Gamer IDs

DX10 provides no improvement in quality of the graphics other than better efficiency at rendering. This is a change of venue, of a sort, for a new "version" of DX. Compare the same scene (from a DX9 game that supports the previous versions) rendered in DX7, DX8 and DX9, and you will notice a definite difference in the graphic capabilities of each.

The only other graphic difference is that DX10 has SM4, but I remember Sweeney talking specifically about SM3 for UT3 (UT2007 at the time of the interview)

MSgt. Shooter Person

Geometry shader. Less cpu dependant. Before you start thinking about SM4, that is what dx10 is all about.

Redeemer

Quote Originally Posted by Moloko View Post
    UT2k4 won't even run after choosing dx9 rendering, at least not with the latest patch, I'm sure this time it will be a proper implementation for DX10.

I just wish (selfishly) they were only busy developing UT3 for the PC not PS3 and x360, even though I understand that that is where the money is after GOW's success . Pc gamers seem to have been forever waiting compared to these new formats.
    After reading your post i have to agree with you I played UT99 allot in the day, even when UT2004 can out i was still playing it, i loved it so much i wanted to get a better PC so i could buy and play ut2004, so in 2005 i did that and was so disappointed. it played nothing like UT99, iv downloaded various mutators to make it play as much lik eut99 at possible eg (tweak tool)
    so more to the point.. IV BEEN WAITING FOR A RETURN TO UT99 EVER SINCE I PLAYED UT2004 It has been such a long wait, this game is like everything to me.
    Keep up the good work Epic!! You guys are the Best!
    My Build: CPU: C2D-E6850, GPU:2xOC-8800ultras, MB: Asus Striker Extreme, 2x 150gb WD Raptor 2GB 8500C5 Ram
    Thank to the Judges and EPIC for the MSUC
    Please EPIC: Patch 2.1, Fix the UI settings not saving
    CTF-Safeguard3 - CTF-Dreary3 - CTF-Stratus V1.2

Redeemer

Quote Originally Posted by Gregori View Post
    Where did they confirm this? The last thing I heard from Epic was that it was built as a DX9 game but would also support DX10.
    Exactly what I herd.. time and time again
    Keep up the good work Epic!! You guys are the Best!
    My Build: CPU: C2D-E6850, GPU:2xOC-8800ultras, MB: Asus Striker Extreme, 2x 150gb WD Raptor 2GB 8500C5 Ram
    Thank to the Judges and EPIC for the MSUC
    Please EPIC: Patch 2.1, Fix the UI settings not saving
    CTF-Safeguard3 - CTF-Dreary3 - CTF-Stratus V1.2

DX10 provides no improvement in quality of the graphics other than better efficiency at rendering...
    Correct me if i'm wrong here, but surely if a frame can render quicker than it used to take to render, then you can put more detail, fancier effects, higher quality textures into your scene, rendering a frame that takes longer than the original render, but as long as the old render, giving a render thats considered a improvement in graphics? Rendertatsic if you will?
    Last edited by olly; 05-11-2007 at 09:00 PM.

Marrow Fiend

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by olly View Post
    Correct me if i'm wrong here, but surely if a frame can render quicker than it used to take to render, then you can put more detail, fancier effects, higher quality textures into your scene, rendering a frame that takes as longer the original render, but as long as the old render, giving a render thats considered a improvement in graphics? Rendertatsic if you will?
    Edit: Never mind. I get so tired of these arguments. I never win.
    Last edited by Crotale; 05-11-2007 at 09:27 PM.

I'm Sorry, I just spot these things and can't help myself, hugs??

Marrow Fiend

Gamer IDs

Don't sweat it, bro. It's all good. Let's just call it "perspective".

Quote Originally Posted by olly View Post
    Correct me if i'm wrong here, but surely if a frame can render quicker than it used to take to render, then you can put more detail, fancier effects, higher quality textures into your scene, rendering a frame that takes longer than the original render, but as long as the old render, giving a render thats considered a improvement in graphics? Rendertatsic if you will?
    Not really... Well, yes, you can add more detail and stuff... but don't forget you will always be VideoMemory bound regardless of what DX mode you're in. That being said, you also have virtualized textures in DX10 which will allow for RAM-streaming textures to the videocard. Ass slow but possible to (depending on the scene) maybe double the texture usage if used properly.

In other words... potentially yes, maybe not, who knows, UT3 will rock... who cares how that happens.
    Core i7 920, Foxconn Renaissance, 6GB OCZ DDR3, GeForce GTX460 + GTX 260
    X-Fi Platinum, Bose QC15 Headphones, Windows 7 x86-64
    Rosewill RK-9000 (PS/2 Adapt. NKRO), Adesso Cybertablet 12000, LG Wide 20" LCD + Samsung 23" 1080p LED + LG Wide 22" Glossy LCD

Quote Originally Posted by Sabo View Post
    hmm. I hope it doesnt end up running better on nVidia cards D:

dx10 = :up:
    Well unless ATI/AMD get their ass in gear, my bet it will be.
    ATI have already failed to launch the new DX10 card.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzwano View Post
    IV BEEN WAITING FOR A RETURN TO UT99 EVER SINCE I PLAYED UT2004
    I don't think we'll see another UT99, but I certainly tried.
    http://members.optusnet.com.au/~projectut/mini_2.avi <- Slowed down for the fx.
    Last edited by ProjectUT; 05-14-2007 at 09:47 AM.
    Yeap, nothing hare!
    I cant' splel eother.

Marrow Fiend

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: KickedWhoCares

Good stuff, I read in the latest PCPP that Nvidia is pushing hard to the PC front Some nvidia dude was talking PC at Go3

Plenty of intel, XFX and Nvidia ads around so things are finally starting to look up

Edit: http://on10.net/Blogs/nic/go3-07-kei...d-direct-x-10/

Redeemer

Quote Originally Posted by _Lynx View Post
    I remember Tim Sweeney saying at E3 or GDC that DX10 will be used only as optimization.
    People also remember them saying that a 6800 ultra would run it at maxed out settings, things change.

At least it's their engine to modify so the SM4 benefits are possible, recently they've talked about a game that demos to studios the power of UnrealEngine 3 for the next few years meaning up to 2009, by then there should be games that require dx10.

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectUT View Post
    ATI have already failed to launch the new DX10 card.
    It isn't 2 weeks but 2 days.

That's when the NDA's come off. So they should be widely available on Monday.

We'll see if it's true and how the drivers are.

Marrow Fiend

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: KickedWhoCares

Ive heard all kinds of rumours about the new Ati cards like they will be the first to support DX10.1 and that they will have superior performance to nvidia cards because they did the chips for the 360.

I must admit Ive been getting alittle worried that the AMD thing and the 360 had got in the way of Ati releasing PC cards. Im interested to see how well they perform or if they'll fit into peoples cases lolz

Marrow Fiend

Gamer IDs

Here's the official word on DX10 for UT3.

Banned

Here's the official word on DX10 for UT3.
    That's reassuring. Let's just hope that their stance does not change in the future.

Administrator

All this means is that UT3 will support DX10 - it does NOT mean that DX10 is required! We expect the vast majority of our users will be Windows XP / DX9 users. We will also support Mac and Linux as per usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rein View Post
    All this means is that UT3 will support DX10 - it does NOT mean that DX10 is required! We expect the vast majority of our users will be Windows XP / DX9 users. We will also support Mac and Linux as per usual.
    Mark, you're going to have to make that a sticky because I can almost guarantee your post will be overlooked by many and there will be much linking/quoting back to your statement

Either way, good to hear.
    =+= Custom Crosshair Tutorial is back up! Now hosted by AngelMapper =+=
    -+{ K-Aus ModDB }+-
    -=(Chaotic Dreams)=-

Quote fuegerstef: "When I grow old and my eyes are becoming really, really bad I might add UTComp to it(UT2004)."

MSgt. Shooter Person

This what I've been waiting for! Now that ATI/AMD will enhance (or maybe open-source) their graphics driver, I can't wait to see the Linux-demo of UT3.

Fantastic news. Finally a spoken word about UT3 and Linux-support, even though I never doubted you guys!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Good to hear that, because I really don't feel like upgrading to Windows Vista until my next build in 2008.

Wait, will DX10 mode have more eye candy? Because I refuse to get vista to be able to use DX10.

MSgt. Shooter Person

>No it won't, things will just run faster.

Will Linux have UED as well? That would be awesome.
    Losing faith in gamers/people, one forum rant at a time...

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Defeat View Post
    >No it won't, things will just run faster.
    But won't the higher spec requirements of Vista kinda 'balance out' the better performance?

Vista takes some more power to run, which could be used under XP for more fps, I guess.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: demolition09

I wonder if we'll get 64-bit support. I'm sure I heard rumours a few months back that there would be some kind of slightly higher texture mode for 64-bit users or something, but then again with so many upcoming games this year I may have mixed that up with something else.

But won't the higher spec requirements of Vista kinda 'balance out' the better performance?
    Depends on the system really I reckon. I haven't had a great performance drop switching to Vista 64-bit from XP Pro in regards to most of my games, but then again I have a fairly high spec PC with a Core 2 E6600, 8800GTX and 2GB RAM. The main sucker for Vista is RAM, which we may need to watch out for because I'm guessing UT3 will be in the region of 1GB minimum. Of course, I may well be proved wrong there, especially considering the number of games out at the moment that require 1GB of RAM.
    Last edited by demolition; 05-14-2007 at 06:46 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by demolition View Post
    I wonder if we'll get 64-bit support. I'm sure I heard rumours a few months back that there would be some kind of slightly higher texture mode for 64-bit users or something, but then again with so many upcoming games this year I may have mixed that up with something else.

Depends on the system really I reckon. I haven't had a great performance drop switching to Vista 64-bit from XP Pro in regards to most of my games, but then again I have a fairly high spec PC with a Core 2 E6600, 8800GTX and 2GB RAM. The main sucker for Vista is RAM, which we may need to watch out for because I'm guessing UT3 will be in the region of 1GB minimum. Of course, I may well be proved wrong there, especially considering the number of games out at the moment that require 1GB of RAM.
    1GB RAM IS BAD ENOUGH FOR PEOPLE LIKE ME :X
    i REALLY HOPE IT WON'T REQUIRE 2GB

Oops, sorry 4 caps.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: demolition09

Nah I 2GB is unlikely. I can see it being 1GB though, or possibly less if we're lucky

MSgt. Shooter Person

I would assume it requires at least 1gb too.
    I have 1gb and almost all recent games have used nearly all of it, I'm right on the limit.
    I assume by performance boost, they mean the performance hit u take by using vista is more than offset by using dx10 so it's faster than the equivalent on xp.

Banned

DX10 provides no improvement in quality of the graphics other than better efficiency at rendering.
    Umm so the Call of Juarez demo comparing DX9 and DX10 is pure BS you think? Also from what I saw from Crytek is that DX10 would allow more possibility "less restriction on the quality" but it's mostly for performance. Guess it would be too long to do some special effect only for dx10 and others only for dx9 on UT3.

Also "The way it's meant to be played / Nvidia" is 100% bs. It's just that Nvidia paid the devs to show their AD on the game. Doesn't mean it will run much better on those game than Ati cards...

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by LeTesteur View Post

Also "The way it's meant to be played / Nvidia" is 100% bs. It's just that Nvidia paid the devs to show their AD on the game. Doesn't mean it will run much better on those game than Ati cards...
    I guess that's right in theory. However, bechmarks have shown that they have consistently put out more FPS than their ATi counterparts in UT2k4.

Hope this won't turn into yet another NVidia fanboys vs ATi fanboys thread.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: siDDDis

Quote Originally Posted by nfleming View Post
    Will Linux have UED as well? That would be awesome.
    Yes, a time ago Epic announced that they were going to use WxWidgets as the GUI for UnrealEd. However Linux support have been very quiet since that time and now that Mark Rein confirms this all I can say is: Thank you Epic!

Maybe Dell will now ship new computers with both Ubuntu and UT3
    That would sure be funny
    http://olavgg.com
    Free Windows www.ubuntu.com || Free 3DSMax/Maya www.blender3d.org || Free Photoshop www.gimp.org || Free Office www.openoffice.org || Free "Oracle" Database www.postgresql.org || Free Illustrator www.inkscape.org || Free Internet Explorer www.opera.com || Free "Visio" http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia/ || Free Music Media Database Player http://amarok.kde.org/

Very nice to hear about support for Linux.
    I have one question: In Linux, will you implement the ability to paste IP in the console? Like copy a IP from IRC chat (or whatever) and paste it in UT3 console.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast