MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gravity oXo

Question A different kind of wallpaper.

Well, I was wanting to try something else for a wallpaper, and since I hadn't made one in a while I thought I'd play around a bit.

http://members.cox.net/gravityx/GrassofWar.jpg [updated]

Let me know what you guys think.

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: M A IN K S

another great piece of work by dustinw. I like it. Keep it up

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Pwning j00z

Beautiful. Only thing I would change is putting the "Gear" around the skull. For some reason it just doesn't look right to me w/o it. But awesome either way.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DivineChipmunk

Thats pretty good, dude.

I do have a suggestion as a fellow graphics designer, blend in the bottom of the grass brush paiting layer you used so that it looks slightly more realistic. you can use the smudge tool to play with the ends of them. I don't mean to be mean, its just that the grass brush is probably the second most over used tool in photoshop, next to Lens Flares(I personally hate seeing generic lens flares in low end graphics, it just shows that only doofus can use the lens flare effect). However than that, its a good piece of work all the same.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by VictorDTarsus View Post
    Thats pretty good, dude.

I do have a suggestion as a fellow graphics designer, blend in the bottom of the grass brush paiting layer you used so that it looks slightly more realistic. you can use the smudge tool to play with the ends of them. I don't mean to be mean, its just that the grass brush is probably the second most over used tool in photoshop, next to Lens Flares(I personally hate seeing generic lens flares in low end graphics, it just shows that only doofus can use the lens flare effect). However than that, its a good piece of work all the same.
    I may play with it a bit more.. To be honest I don't see many people take advantage of the grass brush.. Maybe I just haven't looked enough, but I whole-heartedly agree about the lens flare, which has been done to death.. Although I'm guilty of using it on occassion..

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by dustinw View Post
    I may play with it a bit more.. To be honest I don't see many people take advantage of the grass brush.. Maybe I just haven't looked enough, but I whole-heartedly agree about the lens flare, which has been done to death.. Although I'm guilty of using it on occassion..
    Oh believe me, I have seen a hell of a lot of the Grass Brush. Thats why I said it was second to lens flares for over use. Every time I see a pic with an overabundance of lens flares, I want to reach into the screen and smack the crap out of the picture for the over used lens flares. Sure its the first thing an aspiring digital designer uses when they get their mitts on a copy of Photoshop and/or GIMP(yes, lens flares are available in GIMP), its just so over used that turns me off to the use of Lens Flares.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by VictorDTarsus View Post
    Oh believe me, I have seen a hell of a lot of the Grass Brush. Thats why I said it was second to lens flares for over use. Every time I see a pic with an overabundance of lens flares, I want to reach into the screen and smack the crap out of the picture for the over used lens flares. Sure its the first thing an aspiring digital designer uses when they get their mitts on a copy of Photoshop and/or GIMP(yes, lens flares are available in GIMP), its just so over used that turns me off to the use of Lens Flares.
    I'll have to see how others have put it to use too..

Although, I did go ahead and play with it some more. I tried your advice by using a bit of smude at the bottom, but I didn't really like the way it was going.. so I instead just tried to add a bit of shading, and I think it helps it look more realistic, but let me know what you think.

http://members.cox.net/gravityx/GrassofWar.jpg [edited]

Marrow Fiend

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: irishdudewill

Looks even better after the edit.

Now, if I could only get people to look at my work...
    Bacon, it's what's for dinner!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Crotale View Post
    Looks even better after the edit.

Now, if I could only get people to look at my work...
    Thanks man. Just point them in the direction of it. Use your sig too maybe?

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

A lot better dude. Keep up the good work.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Bucluva101

definatly different. Looks nice.

Marrow Fiend

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: irishdudewill

Quote Originally Posted by dustinw View Post
    Thanks man. Just point them in the direction of it.
    Nah, I shouldn't have to beg or troll for comments. I'm just a bit confused at the fact that I posted three new wallpapers all in a less than a week, and none have received any commentary. As far as I can determine, the wallpapers must be really lame.

I guess I'm done making GoW wallpapers. After all, what's the use in contributing if nobody uses your work? How is an artist to know if his work is liked or being used if nobody comments?

I'm just really confused.

Edit;/ At least most of you guys are getting noticed for your work, and that is very cool.
    Last edited by Crotale; 01-24-2007 at 09:34 PM.
    Bacon, it's what's for dinner!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Hey man, don't get too discouraged. Many of the first wall papers that I did never got any comments and the thread just slowly faded away without anyone making a single post. Just keep at it, and when you start getting noticed more, maybe revive some of your older ones to show off.