Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast
    Administrator

Default Gears of War Update starting 9-Jan-2007

A Gears of War update should start pushing through the system at some point tomorrow, Tuesday January 9, 2007 prior to the two new multiplayer maps being available on Xbox Live Marketplace on Wednesday January 10, 2007.

The maps, plus an introductory video featuring Gears designer Cliff Bleszinski, are free thanks to the kind sponsorship by the Discovery Channel's Future Weapons series which launches next Monday January 15th, 2007. Be sure to check out the show to see some really cool firepower. I expect game designers all across the country will be watching the Future Weapons series very carefully looking for ideas for their future games

Here is a list of what was addressed in this update:

• Fixed aspect ratio distortion when using VGA cable with 4:3 displays at resolutions higher than 640x480
    • Fixed voice issue with new players joining Player Match games in progress
    • Players can now get the Achievement for "Dish Best Served Cold" when using Troika turret to kill RAAM
    • Fixed rare situation where host could loop countdown and never start match
    • Fixed rare situation where players could get stuck after chainsawing in multiplayer
    • Reduced Grenade Tag melee distance
    • Enabled “Strict” NAT check on host to prevent possible connection issues
    • Optimized server browser queries to return results more quickly and prevent scroll bars from hiding quality of service icons
    • Reduced number of possible revives in Execution to match Warzone
    • Removed host name from Ranked match server browser
    • Disabled security cameras in Ranked matches
    • Ranked matches now require balanced teams (3v3 or 4v4)
    • Increased penalty for quitting a Ranked match to -50 points
    • Added additional cheat detection code
    • Additional housekeeping updates

BTW, click here to check out Discovery Channel's Future Weapons series. Be sure to check out the Weapons Zones and see some of the amazing things they showed last season. There was a huge email thread going around Epic about the Metalstorm (which they say is the "potentially the world's most powerful automatic weapon"). It is lacking a chainsaw for close-up combat but it is still pretty cool
    Last edited by Mark Rein; 01-08-2007 at 09:59 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Yeah!!!!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Complex Theory

Kickass!!!!!!

Thank God that the Voice problem is fixed.

Thank you EPIC, this may keep the people at bay that want to play with there buddys.
    Last edited by Shadow Snipe; 01-08-2007 at 09:50 AM.
    EMERGENCE DAY

MSgt. Shooter Person

double Yeah!!!!!

Thanks Epic!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: T33513R

Thank you Epic, you are the best!!!

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hickeroar

Seems to me that they pretty much included everything in there that players have been whining about since day one...
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Copacetic 3da

thank you thank you thank you.
    the voice issue is so annoying. and happy the other issues will be fixed as well.

new maps you say XD i'm not complaining =p

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Sirt0kesal0t420

What about the whole you getting chainsawed and the chainsawer is invicinble deal? does that fall under the getting stuck after chainsawing someone?

BTW epic u rock for fixing the tagging!! \m/
    Last edited by sirt0kesal0t420; 01-08-2007 at 10:01 AM.
    LETS ABRA CA DO THIS!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Wow thats awesome cant wait,i hope player matchs are customizible so we can really get the ball rolling...freedom is goldie

thanks Epic for making a amazing game
    and your only getting started haha wicked
    hopfully heaps new game modes more single player campain

oh i cant wait see ya
    keep it heavy!!!

but why did you remove host name,playing ranked with friends is the best thing
    damn that sux add in clan matchs then please...
    Last edited by ChiefMegadeth; 01-08-2007 at 09:56 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheGhengisClone

no more stacking, no more gorilla arm sticks, no more harvesting downs, no more "can you hear me now?"

thank you Epic. now maybe the "whining for a patch" crowd will see fit to thank you for this awsome game. probably not....
    http://card.mygamercard.net/gel/Theghengisclone.png

I've killed more people than smallpox...

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: I AnNuNaki 23 I

Quote Originally Posted by Hickeroar View Post
    Seems to me that they pretty much included everything in there that players have been whining about since day one...
    Not even close. No way to play ranked with friends and now even more difficult.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheGhengisClone

sorry, i spoke too soon. no respect for Epic, how very "spoiled children-ish"

so i guess the people that are still whining before they even DL the patch and maps are just going to stop playing Gears and stop posting here?

http://card.mygamercard.net/gel/Theghengisclone.png

I've killed more people than smallpox...

I actually think it rocks that Ranked is more fair to people like me that have no friends. . Thanks Epic!

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Most people on live have friends and actually enjoy playing with them.
    Both types of people could be happy-it's called options.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Awesome! cant wait for the patch and new content!

no host name in the list is stupid as we all have hosts we dont want to game with and plus it leaves clans out in the cold, sorry epic that was a bad move.
    but all the other stuff is spot on thank you

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Dublo Seven 19

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DisposableElite

Quote Originally Posted by annunaki 23 View Post
    Most people on live have friends and actually enjoy playing with them.
    Both types of people could be happy-it's called options.
    There "IS" an option... What most people have been doing since launch.... It's called player match.
    Last edited by hardhead36; 01-08-2007 at 10:10 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: KakimotoRift

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rein View Post
    A Gears of War update should start pushing through the system at some point tomorrow, Tuesday January 9, 2007 prior to the two new multiplayer maps being available on Xbox Live Marketplace on Wednesday January 10, 2007.

The maps, plus an introductory video featuring Gears designer Cliff Bleszinski, are free thanks to the kind sponsorship by the Discovery Channel's Future Weapons series which launches next Monday January 15th, 2007. Be sure to check out the show to see some really cool firepower. I expect game designers all across the country will be watching the Future Weapons series very carefully looking for ideas for their future games

Here is a list of what was addressed in this update:

• Fixed aspect ratio distortion when using VGA cable with 4:3 displays at resolutions higher than 640x480
    • Players can now get the Achievement for "Dish Best Served Cold" when using Troika turret to kill RAAM
    • Fixed rare situation where host could loop countdown and never start match
    • Fixed rare situation where players could get stuck after chainsawing in multiplayer
    • Enabled “Strict” NAT check on host to prevent possible connection issues
    • Optimized server browser queries to return results more quickly and prevent scroll bars from hiding quality of service icons
    • Reduced number of possible revives in Execution to match Warzone
    • Disabled security cameras in Ranked matches
    • Ranked matches now require balanced teams (3v3 or 4v4)
    • Increased penalty for quitting a Ranked match to -50 points
    • Additional housekeeping updates

BTW, click here to check out Discovery Channel's Future Weapons series. Be sure to check out the Weapons Zones and see some of the amazing things they showed last season. There was a huge email thread going around Epic about the Metalstorm (which they say is the "potentially the world's most powerful automatic weapon"). It is lacking a chainsaw for close-up combat but it is still pretty cool
    In which timezone?

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by hardhead36 View Post
    There "IS" an option... What most people have been doing since launch.... It's call player match.

yea but some people like to score points and be on leaderboards, plus for achivments it has to be ranked and thats a lonely 10000 kills
    LETS ABRA CA DO THIS!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: geekinabox

Thanks Epic for the patch and freebies ... you guys rock.

As with any software there'll always be further room for fixes and improvements (i.e., I hope this isn't the last patch), but nonetheless the community definitely appreciates the work. I for one have avoided ranked play due to stacked teams and the like, and now look forward to it!

Plz continue to use this community's (often overbearing and repetitive) feeback to further improvement this geat product -- i.e., clans, support for ranked teams, better lobby controls, suppport for larger maps/teams, etc.

We ***** because we care, & we care becuase you guys have produced a great product.

Banned

Nice update however is Epic still continuing to make improvements to the game? Perhaps this patch was made a while back and took a while to get MS cert?

I was hoping for more host options and other customizability options for the game:

Host being able to stop the countdown mid count
    Host being able to stop a player match in the middle of a match and bring players back to lobby
    Host being able to change gametype, settings, etc all in the lobby, this would include maps as well.

More customs options for starting weapons and having the ability to actually change the starting weapons for players. Example: removing shotgun from starting weapon set and putting it as a weapon to pick up on the map.

hoepfully there is a 2nd patch in the works? ty.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Dublo Seven 19

Thanks for keeping it free, Epic.
    Much love!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer7000 View Post
    Nice update however is Epic still continuing to make improvements to the game? Perhaps this patch was made a while back and took a while to get MS cert?

I was hoping for more host options and other customizability options for the game:

Host being able to stop the countdown mid count
    Host being able to stop a player match in the middle of a match and bring players back to lobby
    Host being able to change gametype, settings, etc all in the lobby, this would include maps as well.

More customs options for starting weapons and having the ability to actually change the starting weapons for players. Example: removing shotgun from starting weapon set and putting it as a weapon to pick up on the map.

hoepfully there is a 2nd patch in the works? ty.
    nice ideas,do it epic DO IT!!!!
    come on ranked matchs arn't really fun enless there friends to have fun with not some guy that will hog the kills,people that will not want to work as a team,really annoying players.
    Come on epic Friends is everything in multiplayer
    Why do you think everyone loves Halo cause friends matter!!!!

Is it me or do the descriptions from the 2 new maps sound like new MP-modes?

Old Bones: In an attempt to eradicate any traces of human history and culture, the Locust Horde has emerged under Sera's Capitaline Museums and has begun to destroy them brick by brick. Each gamer's mission is to help the Delta Force recapture the museums before all remnants of humankind's existence are obliterated.

Raven Down: A Raven Helicopter has gone down in the middle of a large scale battle with the omnipresent Locust Horde. Gears have taken out the Seeder and gamers join Delta Forces moving into the crash site from all angles to search for survivors.

source
    http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=71545

Thanks for keeping us updated with all the details Mark.

Thanks Epic for continuing to support Gears of War and it's community. I'm sure all of these additions will be welcomed by all (well, the majority, gamers are never completely pleased!).

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rapture07

this is perfect. for all who complain, be thankful you're note paying $20 for maps and patch like halo 2. This is all FREE, and it fixes the most annoying things such as voice problems, server refreshing time, and meleeing distance with frags. One thing is left out, such as chainsaw glitch, but all you have to do is either chainsaw them right back, stand back and shotty, or pistol combo.

Thanks epic!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: geekinabox

Quote Originally Posted by sirt0kesal0t420 View Post
    yea but some people like to score points and be on leaderboards, plus for achivments it has to be ranked and thats a lonely 10000 kills
    Yeah, but when you're in with friends, it's not purely your skills that give the acheivements and points -- it's you in combination with a team that may be helping you. Indvidual rank should be about you, and not the team behind you. **If** there were a dedicated ranked team mode where your rank was tracked differently than it was in non-team mode, then I'd be 100% behind you. Then, at least, teams could be consistently stacked, and the expectation would be either that a.) you're a great team player, or b.) you're coming in with a great team.

Bottomline: when I've got 20 minutes to game and no friends online, I want to be able to get into a non-stacked, fair ranked game quickly and enjoy it. I still need my team, of course, but ultimately across multiple games my skills are what's gonna earn me my acheivements and points.
    Last edited by geekinabox; 01-08-2007 at 10:29 AM.

Banned

You never paid for a patch for H2, also there is thread in the MP section with 100s of glitches/bugs left to fixed. They are doing exactly what I thought they would, fix the easy stuff that doesn't require them to make major changes... the rest of the glitches/bugs will most probably never get fixed. We'll see, right now , I feel bad for being correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture07 View Post
    this is perfect. for all who complain, be thankful you're note paying $20 for maps and patch like halo 2. This is all FREE, and it fixes the most annoying things such as voice problems, server refreshing time, and meleeing distance with frags. One thing is left out, such as chainsaw glitch, but all you have to do is either chainsaw them right back, stand back and shotty, or pistol combo.

Thanks epic!

Very well done, the shot in the arm this game needed is here.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

We'll see how much you loners like playing with kill stealers and screaming kids, that's what ranked will be now.

Banned

Ha,ha. The moaning has started!

Thats why I dont play rank. Too much moaning, quitters and agressive BS.

Surely the real meaning of 'trueskill' is playing with and against the unknown.

Guess there will be a lot of unhappy rank players. (Boosters)

Would be nice to have host options in the multiplayer 'player match' I hope thats been adressed.

Magic game all the same. Good job.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: assassin no1

nice one for the free content, u guys at epic rock!!!!

"LETS TAKE THE PRISON BLOCKS I'M READY TO KICK SOME ASS" - MARCUS

Banned

We'll see how much you loners like playing with kill stealers and screaming kids, that's what ranked will be now.
    Its full of screaming kids now, listen to yourself!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by geekinabox View Post
    Yeah, but when you're in with friends, it's not purely your skills that give the acheivements and points -- it's you in combination with a team that may be helping you. Indvidual rank should be about you, and not the team behind you. **If** there were a dedicated ranked team mode where your rank was tracked differently than it was in non-team mode, then I'd be 100% behind you. Then, at least, teams could be consistently stacked, and the expectation would be either that a.) you're a great team player, or b.) you're coming in with a great team.

Bottomline: when I've got 20 minutes to game and no friends online, I want to be able to get into a non-stacked, fair ranked game quickly and enjoy it. I still need my team, of course, but ultimately across multiple games my skills are what's gonna earn me my acheivements and points.
    You know i never really thought about it like that honestly, i do agree with you that now it will be your skill and your skill only insted of you and 3 of ur friends pwning 4 people from 4 diffrent countrys
    LETS ABRA CA DO THIS!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
    You never paid for a patch for H2, also there is thread in the MP section with 100s of glitches/bugs left to fixed. They are doing exactly what I thought they would, fix the easy stuff that doesn't require them to make major changes... the rest of the glitches/bugs will most probably never get fixed. We'll see, right now , I feel bad for being correct.
    I hope that we aren't getting this patch just because Discovery Channel sponsors this stuff. I think the reason the maps are free is because DC is sponsoring it. Patches are suppose to be free, not cost money. Maps can be free as well, but if someone is sponsoring that, then it explains a lot.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Sharpfish

Great news, two of the biggest problems fixed (chainsaw needs doing next) and ranked should be worthwhile now.

Maps look very nice too in screenshots!
    >> MY MAPS << UT3: None! UT2k4: DM-MindGames2 UT2k3: FestiveWorlds, Mindgames, SharpfishPark, Starfall, Tropica][, FestiveRidge UT99: DM-Resistor, DM-Capacitor, CTF-Afinity, DM-EvilTavern, DM-8ballHero Unreal 98: A few...

Download Games Spacehotel

Funny, the most I have heard screaming kids is when I find stacked teams that whine about me joining COG before their mates do. Good riddance.

For the loners that was already the reality, that combined with stackers on the opposite side (who screamed the loudest most of the times), and ALWAYS have to deal with the host being on the opposite side made me flee to unranked for nice mature games (well, most of the time).

Loners is a bit of a stretch though, my firends list is a mile long, but none of us can be bothered with the stacking process all the time. Whhich I admit is what people want fixed in the first place, so unless that cant be arranged, which probably cant with trueskill, the next best thing is to make it as hard as possible for everyone.

Maybe Ill have a look back at ranked these days when none of my friends are online, but map rotation still > being kicked back to lobby, so probably not.
    Last edited by bavelb; 01-08-2007 at 10:49 AM.

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast