Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator

Big Grin Gears of War. This is just the beginning!

The reaction to Gears of War has been better-than-outstanding. We’re extremely happy that everyone seems to love the game! More Gears of War multiplayer content and functionality is on the way.

It has become pretty clear to us all that Gears of War will undoubtedly be the biggest selling game in Epic’s 15-year history. With a game that has such a wide appeal it is also clear to me that we’re touching a lot console gamers who have never experienced what it is like to buy a game made by Epic Games.

Console customers, for the most part, are used to buying a game and that being, pretty much, the end of what they can expect for that game. That’s not how Epic Games works. We have a long-term history of supporting our games well after release. Since the very first Unreal Tournament game we have had a track record of excellent post-release support.

We’re going to support Gears of War and we’re going to make improvements and enhancements for it.

Right now we don’t have an exact release plan for this but we’re absolutely listening to you, our customers. Keep posting in this forum. Let us know if you find any problems. Let us know what you love and what you don’t love about the game. We’ll do out best to keep you happy playing Gears of War for years to come!

Every opinion counts. All we ask in return is that you be courteous with each other and keep on topic.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HykCraft

Awesome! Thanks for the info, Mark!
    GamerTag: HykCraft
    3D Artist/Level Designer/Game Designer

That's great to hear

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Spark G

Cool, why is it PC devs that make really good console games also actually know how to update their games properly?
    0 Days until release

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HykCraft

Mark, please STICKY this later on in the night!
    GamerTag: HykCraft
    3D Artist/Level Designer/Game Designer

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WallaJoy

Great post Mark. But how long til Gow2?
    Either way, I still love this game. More than I expected.

Awesome, First order of business should be overhauling the ranked mp set up.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Blankman6

The gamers & fan base on this board already knows the commitment & track record of Epic. It was very appreciative of you to restate your "mission" statement, Mark. That is why I've been touting Epic as a premier development studio because of the history of support long after your products have shipped. Other developers need to take a page from you guys & change the dynamics of how they run their company or their perspectives. The new & future consumers of Epic products will undoubtedly experience what we have known all along- Epic is about the fans! This is an absolute fantastic time to be a gamer!

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sir urza

Quote Originally Posted by Spark FX View Post
    Cool, why is it PC devs that make really good console games also actually know how to update their games properly?
    I think it's more along the lines of how far Microsoft is willing to let developers alter the core functionality of the game via a patch on the harddrive. Microsoft didn't allow A LOT of companies to fix/alter their games via the harddrive on Xbox1.

Then again, with the possibility of post-release development, it's very possible Epic didn't hard code a lot of the game, kept it very modular, and thus left penalty of room for additional features if the game was a hit.

They seem more forgiving with 360, it's a shame other companies... I'm talking about you Raven/ID/Activision... don't take the time to fix their broken console games.
    Last edited by Urza; 11-13-2006 at 06:44 PM.

All I can say right now is congratulations on one of the best games of the year, if not all time. I myself am eurotrash, so I haven't played the game yet, so.. I can't tell you whats wrong with it. But I CAN tell you, that this is the absolute very first time ever, that I've preordered a game. On top of that, I'm also a diehard RPG-fan and I normally don't really care much about shooters.

If something like this happens to gamers.. well, you just know you've got a very special game.

Good job and may the force be with you!

Palace Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zoso Fan

Thanks Mark! I think many console only players are going to be suprised if EPIC is even remotely as responsive and carrying torward their fans as they are with UT. That type of devotion to the gamer is one that i have not seen in any other developing team. I believe it is because of EPIC's personable size crew.
    www.GEARHEADSOFWAR.com

The way GEARS was meant to be played... with gearheads.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: IMTHEONEKILLINU

It's a shame I don't think a lot will be added to SP since I wish there was more story in it, but who knows. Personally, I bought it for SP. I'm sure MP is fun, but someone on the M$ end, needs to fix the comms problem.

I guess I'll keep playing the SP until Gears2 or another un-named game comes out bearing the number 3.

I wonder if Mark, Cliffy, and Tim will all be going out to buy matching Ferraris for themselves for Christmas. Assuming they can take a break from counting all of thier cash.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Sweet can't wait Mark! Thanks for being awesome!

MSgt. Shooter Person

The story cant be added upon, really, without some sort of expansion. I think that wouldn't be considered a DL, but a discount priced game requiring GoW. Not likely, I say. Wait for GoW2...

Anywase, thanks Mike. I am looking forward to this "content" that you will be bringing us. Good luck.
    The Hammer of Dawn is Red Hot Plasma Icing on the Beautified, Battle Torn Cake. And I Will Eat it All!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: I HaNGMaN I

Multiplayer is the only true sore spot, and its a very minor sore spot, the ranked games that is. That is the only time I will say that, because it truly doesnt bother me, but it would be nice to have it corrected or manipulated in a better way by Epic.

Most of all though, the Single Player is phenomenal, not a single damn thing I would change. The graphics are above and beyond phenomenal, the sound is astounding, every single centimeter and byte of this game are astronomical and I love it, I just love it.

Epic, thank you, thats all I can really think to say, you guys have all left me speechless, and as an Eglish/Communications major....thats hard. Heh, great job guys, PERFECT job.
    "Despite all the bodies in the cellar, I'm still a pretty decent guy."

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Crimson Ravenor

The reaction to Gears of War has been better-than-outstanding. We’re extremely happy that everyone seems to love the game! More Gears of War multiplayer content and functionality is on the way.
    - Hell yes
    The enemy is on his knees. Six small craters leak blood over his tarnished armor, pooling around the single hand that remains to support his failing weight. He hears you aproaching, and tries to speak his defiance. All he manages is a blood soaked cough. Your foot slams down on his skull, and a thick, dull crunch can be heard as his skull shatters, the blood blossoming out around his deceased form like a crimson omen..

http://my.livecard.net/24749/Crimson Ravenor

Quote Originally Posted by Zoso Fan View Post
    That type of devotion to the gamer is one that i have not seen in any other developing team.
    Say what you will, but I think Blizzard is truely one of the best at that. I mean.. they're STILL creating maps for Warcraft III and their devotion to World of Warcraft is... just.. amazing.

I don't disagree with Epic taking good care of their gamers, I just wanted to point out that there are others out there who treat us well.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: AIZEN THAICHO

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rein View Post

It has become pretty clear to us all that Gears of War will undoubtedly be the biggest selling game in Epic’s 15-year history. With a game that has such a wide appeal it is also clear to me that we’re touching a lot console gamers who have never experienced what it is like to buy a game made by Epic Games.

Console customers, for the most part, are used to buying a game and that being, pretty much, the end of what they can expect for that game. That’s not how Epic Games works. We have a long-term history of supporting our games well after release. Since the very first Unreal Tournament game we have had a track record of excellent post-release support.

We’re going to support Gears of War and we’re going to make improvements and enhancements for it.

Right now we don’t have an exact release plan for this but we’re absolutely listening to you, our customers. Keep posting in this forum. Let us know if you find any problems. Let us know what you love and what you don’t love about the game. We’ll do out best to keep you happy playing Gears of War for years to come!

Every opinion counts. All we ask in return is that you be courteous with each other and keep on topic.
    Been waiting for this a Lonnggg time!

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: mad I max

its always good to see a developer listen to their fan base.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: siDDDis

I have a great suggestion! Release the GoW SDK!
    http://olavgg.com
    Free Windows www.ubuntu.com || Free 3DSMax/Maya www.blender3d.org || Free Photoshop www.gimp.org || Free Office www.openoffice.org || Free "Oracle" Database www.postgresql.org || Free Illustrator www.inkscape.org || Free Internet Explorer www.opera.com || Free "Visio" http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia/ || Free Music Media Database Player http://amarok.kde.org/

MSgt. Shooter Person

To Mark, and the whole Epic team:

Thank you guys for busting your asses on easily one of the best games I have ever played. It's truly has changed my perception on what action and namely shooting games are all about.

It just feels so good, the covering system is so spot on, everything is basically a home run.

I love the story, partly becuase I've read the backstory and love the universe. Level design in campaign seriously blew me away. I didn't think co-op would be used so well in single player, but that's thanks to the amazing level design.

The game rules, thank you Epic!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Blankman View Post
    The gamers & fan base on this board already knows the commitment & track record of Epic.
    I don't know the commitment and track record of Epic.
    That being said, Awesome game and thanks for the post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MSgt. Shooter Person

I'm blown away by this attitude.

Cheers to you Mark, and to the team. Kudos.

JH

i think what most dedicated/competitive gamers would like to see, is a clan/stats function, whether it'd be on a site or ingame.

leagues like CAL for most games, not sure about all.. require proof that a match was played so no one can cheat or create problems within the league. like halo2, madden, there are online stats to confirm a game has been played.

CAL just opened a gears of war forum on their site, so i think they are waiting to see what you guys do before they open up a division for it. from what ive seen lots of their league admins are happy with the game and want to open a division, aswell as a lot of players. but again, there needs to be some sort of proof that a match was played so a team wont have to go through the troublesome to prove they won.

anyways, keep up the good work and thanks for the great game. (that is if you read this :P)
    #harm via irc.gamesurge.net
    [ CS 1.6 ][ Gears of War ]

Redeemer

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rein View Post
    it is also clear to me that we’re touching a lot of console gamers
    yeah thats a bit suss
    ~I am the soda warrior~

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Beasty Dj

This is just really good to hear. I have never bought an Epic game before until Gears of War, and let me tell you if this is how you treat all of your games it most certainly wont be my last. Thanks alot for what you have, and continue to bring us man.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Visionz08

We love this game. Seriously. Thanks for everything and all the ahrd work you guys put into this game. Yay for more to come!!!
    CARMINE FTW!!
    Sin Eaters

We Control 4v4

id also like to add something as far as matches go.

there should be an option to turn off the camera views on the maps. BECUZ, players that have their comps near their TVs/360 will be able to hop on ventrilo(a voice chat program) and tell their teammates who are alive where enemies are at. i was just sitting in IRC and this guy was telling his teammates to hop on vent. i find this very lame and unfair to people who choose to play fairly. now this can be EASILY fixed by adding a feature HOPEFULLY WITH THE NEXT PATCH :P, to turn off the cameras so specs/dead can only view teammates.
    #harm via irc.gamesurge.net
    [ CS 1.6 ][ Gears of War ]

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: IMTHEONEKILLINU

I would never have bought an Epicgame if it weren't for this game. I rent UT, and didn't like it at all. I'm not into the run and gun all that much, so A) I sucked at it, and B) I had no patience for it.

Thank the gaming gods for Epic putting this game out!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PRODIGY DEV

I've been playing Epic games for a long time now, always been pleased.
    GOW was a highly anticipated title for me and was well worth the wait.

Cheers for an extremely good release!
    "I am the Alpha, I am the Omega... You? ... Who are you again? "

"SIN never goes outta style"

MSgt. Shooter Person

Cool, online is probably one of the best out there, but sometimes its sort of... bull ****, so it's good to know you might be fixing some of the minor problems.

BTW, the Epic team should be worshiped by all countries of the world for this game.
    This is where my sig would be if I gave a ****.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: detox0r

Nice, cant wait to see what you have in store for us.

Great job on the game, the single player is ownage, by the ending im def guessing there is going to be a 2nd one, at least there better be!!!! The multiplyer is great, loving the ranked matchs and being able to swap weapons and customize the map cycle, stuff like that. Great game!! BTW, on E-Day i downloaded the vid and cliffy said hes been playing the game for 2 years, hows that so??

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Crimson Ravenor

Say what you will, but I think Blizzard is truely one of the best at that. I mean.. they're STILL creating maps for Warcraft III and their devotion to World of Warcraft is... just.. amazing.
    Yes, at the price of delaying anything even remotely related to Starcraft for mroe than ten years. Moving on, I'm glad of this news. This is a great community, and I love the game to no end. The characters, their personalities, the graphics, and the gameplay. They're all excelent, not to mention the innovation with the cover system and an intricate, detailed working enemy. The Locust don't feel empty like the enemies in that other companies game, they have life. They live and breeth and have a reason for fighting.
    The enemy is on his knees. Six small craters leak blood over his tarnished armor, pooling around the single hand that remains to support his failing weight. He hears you aproaching, and tries to speak his defiance. All he manages is a blood soaked cough. Your foot slams down on his skull, and a thick, dull crunch can be heard as his skull shatters, the blood blossoming out around his deceased form like a crimson omen..

http://my.livecard.net/24749/Crimson Ravenor

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks a lot Mark! You guys created the best shooter that I've ever played! And I've played way too many. I will keep posting on this forum on things I think could be improved. This game is as close to perfect as I've seen in the past five years. Seriously, I've never seen a game as polished as this. Sadly we had become accustomed to mediocrity, but no more. I agree on what I read on a Gear review. You guys didn’t just raise the bar. You doubled it’s height. My sincere gratitude goes to the entire Epic team for reminding me how much fun gaming can be. By the way I loved the “Making of Gears” DVD and would love to have even more making of Gears content.

Banned

Thanks for posting this Mark. Thats all it took is a little statement like that. As long as we know your listening and working on something to fix the problems we have, I'm sure the fourms will clean itself up quite a bit.

As for my only beefs, we'd like to have a party/Clan system (Check out Saints Row for a Basic one and Halo 2 for the ultimate one).

And maybe turn down Nade Sticks a bit. Need to be closer to lock on and can't do it if you get shot like the chainsaw.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nate Dog 12345

Gears of War is awsome, it's just i get a little frustrated when i play a ranked match, do really good and the game dosn't register into my stats.. course the games i do bad on do register, hah hah.
    And i can barely get into any quick matches, its always saying connection problems, but my connection is fine.
    Also, in ranked games, do stats only count in ranked quick match or both quickmatch and custom? thanks

Sounds really good! I've been playing Epic games since the beginning of time (megaboard anyone?) and I knew you guys wouldn't disappoint. Just don't forget about those of us who don't have GOLD live accounts and/or don't have internet where our XBox is! More SP content!

To all the hard working people at Epic:

You guys are the best, glad to hear you'll support Gears as you have done with your other games in the past.

I've been a huge fan of your games ever since my first PC gaming experience - the demo of the original Unreal Tournament (it was the first game I ever bought too, favourite map was DMTurbine). You guys brought me into gaming, and you're still amazing me with great gameplay experiences years later. Something I always notice about your games is how everything just feels right, from level design to lighting, the feel of the weapons, weapon effects and sound - you are the official tweak-masters!

You've truly set the bar extremely high for next-gen gaming, and are masters of your art - you've even got EA scared as I've noticed from recent news reports

You deserve every success, congrats!

Edit: oh and as for suggestions, I'd love to see further expansion into the background of the Gears of War universe, that's probably something for Gears 2 but maybe you should look into getting someone to write a few books or graphic novels in the meantime to help flesh it all out a bit?
    More multiplayer levels for Gears 1 would be awesome, but you seem to already have that covered
    One other suggestion, it's not Gears related but just to throw it out there, please bring UT2007 to Xbox 360 - pretty please? Just think of the sales Mark, just think of the sales...
    Last edited by Dargata; 11-13-2006 at 10:11 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hey Mark Rein, wanna know the worst thing about this game? The fact that it is going to end!

Seriously, this game rocks. The one concern I had is after playing multiplayer for a bit, it just seemed like the close combat was extremely weak. I saw a guy coming at me with his chainsaw and I shot him three times with the shotgun and he would always get me. This happened at least 4 or 5 times to me on different servers.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast