Thread: CTF-Kernel

Default CTF-Kernel

Name: CTF-Kernel

Comments: This is an unusual ctf map performed in futuristic setting. There are three levels: upper, common and lower. Lower and common separated by glass. You can see your enemy carrying your flag, but you can't kill him thru the glass! (% There are also some fun features on this map. To prevent your brains from being damaged, I'd better say: this map is VERY unusual.

Description: No living creature remembers who constructed these giant skyscrapers eons ago. No one knows why they still function on this deserted planet..

Credits: me & Satellence
    Music by Daddy Warhol

Compatibility: UT2004

Homepage: http://voodarius.planetunreal.gamespy.com

Screenshots: (1000x600)

-------------------------
    Download 13mb (planetunreal.ru)
    Download 13mb (gamespy.com)

Thumbs down yay finall version is out !

thank you Im first one to download .. or not ?
    = Buffy The Jedi Knight =

Redeemer

If you're State side, use the second download link.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thumbs down Yeah!

I've just played this map and I can tell you it's a blast. Great graphics with challenging and absorbing gameplay.

The glass floors really add a sublime tactical twist.

Oh and the music's pretty good as well and not just because I made it! It's really appropriate and atmospheric with a hypnotic groove and punchy techno guitar riffs. Far better then the music that came with the game.

Infact, you ought to download this map on the strength of the music alone!!!1

This map is professional quality and should be downloaded and placed on every server in the world right now.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Default Oh and..

Well done to Voodarius as well.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thumbs up Wow!!!

Looks great VoodariuS!! Really good work

MSgt. Shooter Person

Very very cool map...good work on the meshes ! A must have for any CTF player. Well done and keep up the good work

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Sjosz

To be honest, I do not really see why a lot of people just praise the level. There are some interesting ideas and the colour use is interesting, but for some reason I keep thinking after playing this map a few times that the theme just screams at me. I can imagine Slainchild's mild headache.
    Also, the layout doesn't seem to be making a whole lot of sense. The top route is cut off by semi-invisible glass walls? The lower route is almost completely enclosed and separated from the rest of the layout? The busy looks do not make navigating the layout very easy either. Good sense of originality, but just too screamish IMO and the layout just doesn't do it for me.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Sjosz View Post
    To be honest, I do not really see why a lot of people just praise the level
    ---> Perhaps because you think theres only ONE way to do things and you think your way is the better ...?...Perhaps thats the beginning of what we call in France "Avoir la grosse tête"...?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

In my opinion:

We don't only need maps for Clanbase and cie...Voodarius is not a hardcore gamer but an artist. Some of us really need to see original maps with original content. Some people cant imagine the hard work needed for creating your own custom content (often cause they dont know how to do it and some times they are jealous). You need to be a kind of LD, modeller man, unwrap man, render man (if you want to bake some lighting in your mesh), texture man etc...

With the next gen games and UT2007 by example, perhaps some people will understand the amount of work/time/knowledges needed to create your own custom content and they will change their opinions about 3D artists and original things.

We need conventional maps and original maps imo...
    Last edited by Raz; 11-03-2006 at 05:30 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Sjosz

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    ---> Perhaps because you think theres only ONE way to do things and you think your way is the better ...?...Perhaps thats the beginning of what we call in France "Avoir la grosse tête"...?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

In my opinion:

We don't only need maps for Clanbase and cie...Voodarius is not a hardcore gamer but an artist. Some of us really need to see original maps with original content. Some people cant imagine the hard work needed for creating your own custom content (often cause they dont know how to do it and some times they are jealous). You need to be a kind of LD, modeller man, unwrap man, render man (if you want to bake some lighting in your mesh), texture man etc...

With the next gen games and UT2007 by example, perhaps some people will understand the amount of work/time/knowledges needed to create your own custom content and they will change their opinions about 3D artists and original things.

We need conventional maps and original maps imo...
    Yes, let's start calling me bigheaded about this, I'm merely saying that I cannot appreciate this particular theme. I do not think there's only one way and that that way is the best way. Insults are not needed.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Sjosz View Post
    I do not think there's only one way and that that way is the best way. Insults are not needed.
    It was a question Sjosz..and ok i 've understood your answer.

And sure, insults are not needed. When you said " To be honest, I do not really see why a lot of people just praise the level" ---> it can be taken for an insult cause perhaps you thought some of us were stupid cos they liked the way the map was done.

No offense intended.

Banned

+ Graphics
    + Music

- Waaaaaaay too complicated imo...
    - FPS is horrible...

Because a map has to be played, which is not possible due it's complexness and it's very low fps at most times, i vote this map 3/10

No offense of course m8, nice job, but you gotta keep in mind that gameplay > graphics

This message was towards the CTF-Kernal map

EDIT: Just noticed that this thread is OLD

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Denk View Post
    No offense of course m8, nice job, but you gotta keep in mind that gameplay > graphics
    It's just YOUR opinion, for me by example Gameplay = Graphics, no less no more but of course it's just MY opinion...Different tastes, thats the way it is...

Redeemer

CTF-Kernel is a map architecturally ahead of its time. This map is thematically creative, but suffers from optimization problems, a saturated appearance from the heavy uniform lighting throughout both bases, and generally overall poor layout.

With UT2004's optimization scheme, maps like CTF-Kernel are very difficult to effectively optimize, resulting in considerable low fps and sluggish game play. Perhaps maps like CTF-Kernel will find a good home in UT2010. In addition, the overall lighting in the map, with the exception of a few localized spots, is so heavy and so uniform it gives both bases a saturated look, everything is the same color blue or the same color red. Moreover, and more importantly, the layout is poorly conceived, (Reminds me of CTF-December, or CTF-January). Only one way to reach the enemy base from the main level, and only two access points in each base to the lower level, one of those access points being near the flag. This makes entering and leaving the lower level difficult and even somewhat confusing. The location of the shockrifle makes little sense, as does the location of the flak cannon. Where the health packs are not terribly placed, it makes little sense to place health vials in front of health packs. The health vials would have been better located on the ledge. On a positive note, the map isn't overflowing with power ups and some of the health packs are well placed. With all the glass, its still difficult to track other players (that's a good thing) and sometimes you can mistaken an enemy that is actually below you for an enemy in front of you (or on the same level).

The most significant improvement that could be made to the map is either better optimization, or replace half the glass sections with solid panels, like the ones on the ramps. The next thing that could be done is to create more access points between the lower level and the main level, and add one more route between bases on the main level.

Redeemer

Very nice map! Excellent work

MSgt. Shooter Person

I think its one of the few users maps I have ever played that meet the same level of intense action-packed gameplay I have expected from games since TFC.

I don't have any framerate problems and I'm playing on an Apple Crapintosh (GRAPHICS = NVIDIA 'fuking crap' 5200)
    http://www.wikipedia-watch.org/
    Do not use wikipedia!!! Add " -wikipedia " to all your search terms.
    =>o<= LoL!!!

Redeemer

I think Vladimir's DM-Aeris is a good map (good flow, good fps, good wholesome fun for the whole family), better than this one.

I look forward to VoodariuS's next map.

He's in my favorite mapper list at Mapraider.

Redeemer

Smile good different one

many paths to flag before I sleep; can be hard to defend, crazy futuristic atmosphere with glass floors, custom music is great with the riffs; my bots can almost defend, opposing bots can’t defend well either

http://www.gamefront.com/files/6108807/CTF_Kernel_v1_0

http://unrealtournament2004.filefron...TFKernel;71918

http://gamebanana.com/ut2k4/maps/17826

Redeemer
    Metro Manila, Philippines, Southeast Asia

Cool Cyber-funky CTF map!

Superior atmosphere, visuals, shading, FPS (better use normal to higher specs), and eye candy. Many paths to go through (separately) with cyber trance layout, glass floors, and eerie noises. Love the custom weapon/item bases and custom music choice. Fun gameplay and the bots are quite decent. My bot-mates will likely defend to this.

Mirror:
    http://ut2004.ut-files.com/index.php...CTF-Kernel.zip
    Last edited by Private Tux; 10-27-2012 at 09:27 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by VoodariuS View Post
    Name: CTF-Kernel

Comments: This is an unusual ctf map performed in futuristic setting. There are three levels: upper, common and lower. Lower and common separated by glass. You can see your enemy carrying your flag, but you can't kill him thru the glass! (% There are also some fun features on this map. To prevent your brains from being damaged, I'd better say: this map is VERY unusual.

Description: No living creature remembers who constructed these giant skyscrapers eons ago. No one knows why they still function on this deserted planet..

Credits: me & Satellence
    Music by Daddy Warhol

Compatibility: UT2004

Homepage: http://voodarius.planetunreal.gamespy.com

Screenshots: (1000x600)

Download 13mb (planetunreal.ru)
    Download 13mb (gamespy.com)
    screen shots dont load but i will download because of the good comments
    oh wait i cant download because the links are dead
    I dont like the new smilles

Redeemer
    Metro Manila, Philippines, Southeast Asia

Quote Originally Posted by maxim123 View Post
    screen shots dont load but i will download because of the good comments
    oh wait i cant download because the links are dead
    Check SkaarjMaster's post (post #23). Screenshots are on the working links except GameFront.

Redeemer

Also, just google the map name with the game together and you can usually find plenty of links for most of these maps. That's all I do and Tux has brought the idea of posting the latest links, so I try and do that lately also.