Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: vaporxx91

Default Ranked matches= randoms?

so is it true that we will not be able to have a "party" system where we have a team of 4 go into a ranked match against another team of 4?

A thread earlier got closed, probably because they were talking about another game, but this raises an interesting concern.

Is this a MS policy? I do notice that most if not all of the 360 games do not allow you to party up with people into a ranked match.

If that's the case, then that sucks that you will always have to team up with randoms for a ranked team game.

Flak, can you answer this?

Super Moderator

Is this a MS policy?
    Yes, it's a cert requirement. You may not choose who you get to play with in a ranked match and you may not keep the session together. The theory is this prevents collaborative cheating (I kill you ten times, now you me, etc.)

The players you'll meet aren't random. They are the best fit for your skill level.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PFI DeaTH

So your sayng we can only play playermatches to play with friends? that kinda sucks takes alittle away from getting good teamchemistry considering most people goof off in Playermatch.

Super Moderator

So your sayng we can only play playermatches to play with friends?
    That's the MS requirement. Player matches can be invited to, joined via presence, etc. Ranked matches cannot.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TANKFARM

They should design an inbetween mode. Something like a competitive team system. That would probably address your concern SKM D34TH.

MSgt. Shooter Person

So, let me get this straight...

In the non-ranked games that mean absolutely nothing towards your rank you can play with your friends/team which you probably coordinate and practice strategies

And in ranked games that DO mean something towards your rank you can only play with kids you do not know running around chainsawing each other and not working as a team?

Or am I reading this wrong.
    Last edited by dr0be; 10-03-2006 at 03:34 PM.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: x HiTcH x

I dont care how the ranked system works but it would be nice if you dont have to always restart rooms like GRAW cause that was a pain.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by dr0be
    So, let me get this straight...

In the non-ranked games that mean absolutely nothing towards your rank you can play with your friends/team which you probably coordinate and practice strategies

And in ranked games that DO mean something towards your rank you can only play with kids you do not know running around chainsawing each other and not working as a team?

Or am I reading this wrong.
    No, you're reading it right.

See, the thing is, we're too used to Halo 2's matchmaking system where you have a party of people and you go into a ranked game together and you get randomally matched with people near your skill level.

The thing is though, in most of the new 360 games, they don't do that anymore. The system is designed to where you can't play with friends in ranked matches so that you can't boost, just like what the Epic Mod said.

Oh well. Ranked matches don't mean much in 360 games anyway since you never see what your own personal rank is. I like that you can't see other people's ranks, but it would always be nice to see what your own progress is. Otherwise, why would it be called rank if you never see a rank? Might as well just called it plain ol player match.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by joeGraf
    Yes, it's a cert requirement. You may not choose who you get to play with in a ranked match and you may not keep the session together. The theory is this prevents collaborative cheating (I kill you ten times, now you me, etc.)

The players you'll meet aren't random. They are the best fit for your skill level.

Joe,

any chance that you can tell us what stats will be like for this game?

For example, if this game does happen to go into an online league like CAL or TWL, or MLG, etc, they will need proof of the match actually happening.

the great thing about Halo 2 is that you can go online and check your game stats, etc. Will Gears have something along those lines? Or will it be a post-game screen that just goes away and never to be seen again?

this is a pretty important issue because it could really mess up the chances of this game going into online leagues. Otherwise you have to take pictures of screen shots and submit them, and that just get's really annoying and makes it hard for online leagues to work with console games.

It's not like a PC where you can actually record the match and submit the demo of the match.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xxinfurnoxx

well if you want to do clan matches like i do via gamebattels.com then you have to do unranked match you cant go with your freinds because thare trying to keep cheating away.
    I am the dark. I am the sound with no body. I am fear.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FreeFocus

I don't see why MS would break down such a successful system, as was shown in H2. There's a reason nearly 300,000 people still play it per day. Bad move, MS.

Anyway, I'm a bit disappointed in MS for that decision..but as long as I can start up a party, and find an unranked room, I'll be happy.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SKM Titan

They are the best fit according to some inaccurate ranking system.

And ranked matches are going to be filled with nothing but screaming little kids. Adults don't care about ranks, most 16, 17, 18 year olds don't care about ranks. The only people that care about ranks are wannabe pros and little kids.

Stats are one thing, it's fun to see what your kill to death ratio, hit percentage, etc is, but ranks are just plain retarded. They are usually inaccurate, easily exploited, and most people don't even know how ranks are calculated.

MS is ruining Xbox Live and the XBL community with these horrible requirements. I'm sorry if I sound like a whiner, I'm not, but I'm just getting frustrated with Xbox Live. The last game I played that had a decent server/game finding system was PDZ, 8 months ago.

MS really has to get their priorities straightened out.
    Last edited by SKM Titan; 10-03-2006 at 06:48 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: I CaRmiNe I

wait so i cant go into a match with my friends? I dont mean play agaist them i mean with them like we go in as a team of 4.?

Banned

SKM Titan, it looks like GOW will have some type of dedicated server support with password protected entry, so I would imagine a browse server option would be included. However, they are saying that party system might not be an option.

We'll have to wait and see.
    Last edited by Marauder; 10-03-2006 at 10:25 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nice Shot Sean

Quote Originally Posted by SKM D34TH
    So your sayng we can only play playermatches to play with friends? that kinda sucks takes alittle away from getting good teamchemistry considering most people goof off in Playermatch.
    exactly...now i'm gonna get stuck with the little kid that goes off and dies
    Remember those sweet, warm New England summers? Remember sipping lemonade underneath a shady tree? Remember when you hit that pedestrian with your car at the crosswalk and then just drove away? Pepperidge Farm remembers, but Pepperidge farm ain't just gonna keep it to Pepperidge farms self free of charge. Maybe you go out and buy yourself some of these distinctive Malano cookies maybe this whole thing disappears.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by NyR Kil0WaTTs
    wait so i cant go into a match with my friends? I dont mean play agaist them i mean with them like we go in as a team of 4.?
    You can't go into a RANKED match with a group of friends but you can play as many unranked matches as you want with your friends.

WTF are you talking about? If I party up with 3 of my friends to go play a ranked match, how does "I kill you ten times, now you me, etc" come into play?? THEY ARE ON MY TEAM

MSgt. Shooter Person

I'm lost. Forgive me if I sound stupid but it's like this right?

- You CAN party up with your friends to play UNRANKED matches.

- You CANNOT party up with your friends to play RANKED matches.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MerCiLeSS ApOc

Every online game should have a party/matchmaking system like Halo 2 had. That's one of the things that made it such a hit online. You could just get your friends together and find a match in a couple seconds. It's more fun when you can play with friends and develop strategies for certain maps. If you get your butt kicked you go back, play a custom match and figure out what you did wrong, then go back into matchmaking and whoop someone's butt the next time. That's what online play should be all about, playing with FRIENDS.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nice Shot Sean

well if you go back to the OP he was just raising awareness. nothing is official as of yet.
    Remember those sweet, warm New England summers? Remember sipping lemonade underneath a shady tree? Remember when you hit that pedestrian with your car at the crosswalk and then just drove away? Pepperidge Farm remembers, but Pepperidge farm ain't just gonna keep it to Pepperidge farms self free of charge. Maybe you go out and buy yourself some of these distinctive Malano cookies maybe this whole thing disappears.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw4YoAss
    WTF are you talking about? If I party up with 3 of my friends to go play a ranked match, how does "I kill you ten times, now you me, etc" come into play?? THEY ARE ON MY TEAM
    He means if you know the other team, it's called boosting. They do it in a lot of games.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by TENGUMAN
    I'm lost. Forgive me if I sound stupid but it's like this right?

- You CAN party up with your friends to play UNRANKED matches.

- You CANNOT party up with your friends to play RANKED matches.
    Correct. That's what the Epic admin said in this thread.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by SeanDoe
    well if you go back to the OP he was just raising awareness. nothing is official as of yet.
    It actually is pretty much official. Read the Epic Mod's post.

Quote Originally Posted by VaporXX91
    He means if you know the other team, it's called boosting. They do it in a lot of games.
    Yea, I know what it's called. Thanks for your concern though. You can boost with whomever you get matched against, doesn't have to be anyone on your friend list.

It's not like you can pick your opponent in a ranked match. This is utterly retarded to not be able to get good with your CLAN and play ranked matches. People might as well not even practice since the other ppl you get stuck with are probably team killers or nubs. Just go in blindly and pray you win with whoever you get stuck with. Sounds like real "TRUESKILL" matchmaking to me... ridiculous.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BLACK L A C

it will be FOCKING RETARDED if epic dose this ......might aswell take out rank altogether
    Last edited by BLACK L A C; 10-04-2006 at 02:58 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

sorry for DP

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK L A C
    it will be FOCKING RETARDED if epic dose this ......might aswell take out rank altogether
    Too late...

Default Really that bad?

Hi everybody - i've just registered to say my toughts about the matchmaking. I've already read alot of posts here - i think since january and because of that i must say great work zoso! Back to topic...sry, i had to...

Now why is everybody thinking that matchmaking is such a good thing? You already listed some comparison to halo 2's matchmaking but think again - is it really that good? At a first glance it is hilarious BUT within the time passes it was/is growing bad. Do you think the game (halo 2) gets more challanging because it's your higher rank or because the ranks are filtering boosters? The chance increases to play with a booster/cheater the higher your rank gets. Despite this, i now think - and i played halo2 alot - that unranked games are the better way to go.

I have to clarify that; not that i mean in halo 2 the unranked matches are better, no(i dont wanna bash halo - im a great fan of the series!). But if you have just unranked games from the start (like in Gears) so i think it will be the better fun. Think of it as a higher possibility to not play against/with cheaters/boosters. Sounds stupid i konw but keep in mind that if everybody is on the same level there will be no "filtering".

Also not think of it like a GRAW-Type of matchmaking. I belief that epic is doing it right so it will be something like in halo 2 where you can party up and search the unranked matches.

ahoi matrousen!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Yeah that is true. I've never played halo2 in MLG but my friends says alot of people standby their modems to win. I do really like seeing my rank ascend as I play, but frankly if it results to people standbying and cheating, forget it.

As long as Im playing SOMEONE and its some sort of a challenge, im fine.

Super Moderator

it looks like GOW will have some type of dedicated server support with password protected entry,
    Not true. No dedicated servers as that is a TCR violation.

Matches cannot be password protected. You can create a private match and only invite people to it. Only in player matches. You can't invite people to ranked matches and all slots have to be public.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by MerCiLeSS ApOc
    Every online game should have a party/matchmaking system like Halo 2 had. That's one of the things that made it such a hit online. You could just get your friends together and find a match in a couple seconds. It's more fun when you can play with friends and develop strategies for certain maps. If you get your butt kicked you go back, play a custom match and figure out what you did wrong, then go back into matchmaking and whoop someone's butt the next time. That's what online play should be all about, playing with FRIENDS.
    The matchmaking system did not make Halo 2 popular online. If anything, it made people quit playing the game online. Halo 2 is popular because it has the name "Halo" in it, is a good game, and is extremely easy to play (compared to most other FPS).

Games like Counterstrike, Unreal Tournament, Quake (2&3), Call of Duty, Doom, Rainbow Six, etc were extremely popular on the PC, and they all game-finding systems superior to Halo 2's- Server Lists.

Matches cannot be password protected. You can create a private match and only invite people to it. Only in player matches. You can't invite people to ranked matches and all slots have to be public.
    That's fine. But it is disgusting to think that there is no point in practicing with my clan to get better if I never get to play with them in ranked matches.

Super Moderator

But it is disgusting to think that there is no point in practicing with my clan to get better if I never get to play with them in ranked matches
    Your complaints are going to the wrong place. I don't make the rules. But I have to follow them if we are to ship this game.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

WTF? Live is officially going in the wrong directon. Server Lists and Dedicated Servers are being replaced by crappy matchmaking systems that are based off of inaccurate ranks and are filled with cheaters.

What's wrong with dedicated servers now? I remember in Rainbow Six 3, Unreal Championship, and Counterstrike (both for the Xbox), there were lots of great dedicated servers up and running. People even bought another Xbox in order to set it up as a dedicated server. I even remember that MS and publishers would even host some dedicated servers.

BTW, how will we be able to join "player matches"? Will we be able to join them via a Server List, will we get "assigned" a game, or will we only be able to join them via players on our friends list.

Also, will you be able to host Private and Public games?
    Last edited by SKM Titan; 10-04-2006 at 04:11 PM.

Your complaints are going to the wrong place. I don't make the rules. But I have to follow them if we are to ship this game.
    Believe me, mine and others complaints have went to the right place as well. Not like they mattered, but they got sent. Now if they got read is a different story, and even if they did get read it won't change a thing. But they have went to the correct channels.

This is just another place to express my distaste of the system. Maybe if you guys hear enough of it as well you can speak up because I'm quite sure your voice is a tad louder than ours.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

You guys (Epic) have just as much influence over MS and their XBL policies as the fans. If you guys think that MS's Live policies might piss of some of your fans or ruin the online experience for some, isn't it your guys' job to bring it up to them? MS doesn't pay attention to what the gamers are saying, if they did see all the complaints about Halo 2's, Saints Row's, COD2's, and Quake IV's Matchmaking/Ranking systems, then there's no way MS would have the same policies/requirements as they do now.

Most of the members on these forums aren't casual/typical gamers. I find it funny that many of them are complaing about Ranked Matches/Ranks, especially when they are the target audience of this Ranked match system. This should raise some red flags over at MS and Epic.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw4YoAss
    Believe me, mine and others complaints have went to the right place as well. Not like they mattered, but they got sent. Now if they got read is a different story, and even if they did get read it won't change a thing. But they have went to the correct channels.

This is just another place to express my distaste of the system. Maybe if you guys hear enough of it as well you can speak up because I'm quite sure your voice is a tad louder than ours.

HONESTLY how about epic just take out rank give me my kill/deth ratio and let me FOCKIN DEDICATE MY OWN SERVER.....-_-

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by SKM Titan
    You guys (Epic) have just as much influence over MS and their XBL policies as the fans. If you guys think that MS's Live policies might piss of some of your fans or ruin the online experience for some, isn't it your guys' job to bring it up to them? MS doesn't pay attention to what the gamers are saying, if they did see all the complaints about Halo 2's, Saints Row's, COD2's, and Quake IV's Matchmaking/Ranking systems, then there's no way MS would have the same policies/requirements as they do now.

Most of the members on these forums aren't casual/typical gamers. I find it funny that many of them are complaing about Ranked Matches/Ranks, especially when they are the target audience of this Ranked match system. This should raise some red flags over at MS and Epic.

IF EA CAN MAKE MS CHANGE THERE POLICIES THEN EPIC CAN TO......-_-

WTF? Live is officially going in the wrong directon. Server Lists and Dedicated Servers are being replaced by crappy matchmaking systems that are based off of inaccurate ranks and are filled with cheaters.

What's wrong with dedicated servers now? I remember in Rainbow Six 3, Unreal Championship, and Counterstrike (both for the Xbox), there were lots of great dedicated servers up and running. People even bought another Xbox in order to set it up as a dedicated server. I even remember that MS and publishers would even host some dedicated servers.

BTW, how will we be able to join "player matches"? Will we be able to join them via a Server List, will we get "assigned" a game, or will we only be able to join them via players on our friends list.

Also, will you be able to host Private and Public games?

That is what I really want to know, it's going to suck if the only option to play GoW online is through matchmaking. Hopefully we will be able to make customs rooms like H2 atleast.
    Last edited by LGD Desecrate; 10-04-2006 at 04:54 PM.

Banned

SKM Titan you the man. It really is ashamed this is how online gaming goes, right down the toilet. XBL is exactly what online should not be. There is no community, it's a bunch of cheaters, derankers, teamkillers, F-bomb droppers, etc. Less gaming goes on everyday, try find a game you want to play. It's horrible, you have to play like 5 hours to get a game you want.

joeGraf, it's not your fault but you have to understand that people are not getting their money's worth with this crap. I was actually starting to get excited about this game because of the new HD videos. It really is ashame that now we get the same crap in, crap out we have been getting from MS for online gaming. XBL was cool, now it just sucks. I guess this is price you pay for dealing with the devil (MS).

Like I said, in a few other post. MS has 40+ year old moms trying to tell gamers what they want to play. They don't ask, they don't research, they tell us what we want. JoeGraf, it's not your fault and probably not Epic's directly, the end result COULD be reflective on Epic anyway. H2 MM was not a huge problem 2 years ago, I predicted it would be, now it is. People just want to play what they want, when they want, and how the want. XBL does not allow you to do that effectively IMHO. All gamers will know is, hey, GOW won't let me play with my buddies and I can't find the game I want, they don't care if it's MS policy, they only know Epic made the game. Just a rant, again, not your fault and I am sure you guys get just as fustrated by this BS.

Last edited by Marauder; 10-04-2006 at 05:27 PM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast