View Poll Results: Darkmatch?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, we need it!

32 65.31%
  • No

17 34.69%

Default Darkmatch in UT2007

Will it be possible at least to create darkmatch as mod if it not included in retail version?

Oh yes, and if only to show off the UnrealEngine's new powers in terms of lighting.
    Wormbo's UT/UT2004/UT3 mods | PlanetJailbreak | Unreal Wiki | Liandri Archives

<@Mych|Lockdown> ...and the award for the most creative spelling of "Jailbreak" goes to ... "Gandis Jealbrake Server"
    Note that your questions via PMs will be ignored if they actually belong in the forum.

MSgt. Shooter Person

of course we need it. and an endless battery for the flashlight.

Oops. I casted my vote too fast. I assumed the poll requested darkmatch in the retail game, to which my statement is a certain No.

Then again, I don't see how the actual question is actually poll-worthy. If unrealEd ships with UT3, of course it will be possible to make a mod that dims the lights and gives people flashlights.
    The game looks and plays great, Epic!

My ideas for improving the User Interface can be found here

Banned

Damn hit no by accident, but meant to vote yes.

It would be lovely if UT2007 had DK but it probably won't. The last game that had it built-in was UT (in which it was hidden). It would be great if it was made as a mod, prehaps with specific DK maps (the one that came with the original Unreal was very errie and had some nice fog effects).

MSgt. Shooter Person

this is a fast shooter, not boy scouts united.
    Waves of the same length can also interfere destructively.

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by StalwartUK
    Damn hit no by accident, but meant to vote yes.

It would be lovely if UT2007 had DK but it probably won't. The last game that had it built-in was UT (in which it was hidden). It would be great if it was made as a mod, prehaps with specific DK maps (the one that came with the original Unreal was very errie and had some nice fog effects).
    http://www.planetunreal.com/features/darkmatch/ - for anyone who wants to try darkmatch in UT

I really see no reason why it couldn't simply be added as a mutator that could work on any level (ok ONS might be a bit odd in the dark...).

Veteran

Aah, darkmatch... Would be nice to see it with the new engine, either retail or custom made.
    Also known as Rask Ś http://www.ottorask.com/

UT3 Levels: CTF-Austere (MSU P3 5th place)

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: pixel x101

Quote Originally Posted by ne_skaju
    Will it be possible at least to create darkmatch as mod if it not included in retail version?
    ??? I'm not sure what you mean. I think your talking about creating a map with no lighting, where the only light comes from a flashlight or somthing.
    Myblog Find my works here.

Banned

I think Darkmatch would work best as a unique type all its own, as opposed to a mutator that just dims lights. There seems to be too many lighting optimization techniques that "fake" complex lighting (such as texture baking, and using selective unlit actors and meshes) in order to achieve a given result with the lighting as presented. To eliminate the lights themselves might just reveal the occasional mesh that is strangely "lit", because of a tex-bak or other technique, or your flashlight would reveal a still-present shadow coming from something past a light that's been turned off (like the lights past the turbines, giving us those nifty shadows on the floor).

Maybe this won't occur as much in 2k7, with the more advanced lighting engine making this sort of thing less useful. I certainly hope so, because in theory the new lighting engine would rock ass with flashlights. With just one long-range flashlight per player, the shadow calculations should be bearable. Stll, I assume that custom maps (without unlit or special-lit meshes, tex-baked or projected shadows, etc.) would work best.

Boomshot

Given the nature of the lighting in the engine, projected shadows done as in UT2k4 should be completely unnecessary. Tex-baked shadows should also not be required due to normal mapping, and the real-time lighting system. Unlit and special-lit actors can be have their respective properties set to false via the mutator. Darkmatch should work fine, imo.

darkmatch?

racism will not be tolerated good sir
    You're from Ukraine? or USA

Darkmatch and racism are different things!

Redeemer

I find Darkmatch boring if all you got is a completely dark map with flashlight. There needs to be tiny bit of lighting or fog, but you should be able to see where you're going a bit. I tried DarkMatch in UT and it was boring, all the map are 100% Dark (except unlit textures) and it was more annoying than fun.
    SFJake

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The_Deacon View Post
    Given the nature of the lighting in the engine, projected shadows done as in UT2k4 should be completely unnecessary. Tex-baked shadows should also not be required due to normal mapping, and the real-time lighting system. Unlit and special-lit actors can be have their respective properties set to false via the mutator. Darkmatch should work fine, imo.
    If you're right (as I hope you are), Darkmatch would be a thing of beauty in 2k7.

Perhaps a slight volumetric fog present, so the flashlights cast visible beams? First time that sort of thing's been possible. Also, the light engine will do blooms and such, so shooting toward someone shining a light at you will be a bit harder, due to the dazzle effect.

MSgt. Shooter Person

http://www.planetunreal.com/features/darkmatch/ - for anyone who wants to try darkmatch in UT

I really see no reason why it couldn't simply be added as a mutator that could work on any level (ok ONS might be a bit odd in the dark...).
    Actually, Onslaught, with a little bit of work, could be awesome in the dark.

Don't vehicles have headlights? And those nodes and cores look like they should give off light as well.

Took the words right from me there, I agree on this. Now whether it being in the retail or as an add on mod, either way would work. However, i am leaning to the leave as an add-on mod for the game.
    --bc

Redeemer

Maybe if the weapons get a flashlight mut....adding some sort of light to the weapon.

Shock combo's creating a light flash through-out a room and such.
    Cicada Driver .::. Addicted Nade User .::. QuadV Unreal Tournament Commentator

QuadV

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by happycat View Post
    Actually, Onslaught, with a little bit of work, could be awesome in the dark.

Don't vehicles have headlights? And those nodes and cores look like they should give off light as well.
    It'd be pretty funny to be driving along in the dark, see one split second of wide-eyes disbelief from the foot soldier running along in the dark before you plow over them. Deer-in-the-headlights effect.

Flying vehicles should still see the ground in wireframe, or something, so they can be piloted. It'd be pretty sweet to have cicadas hunting people down, searchlights swinging among the hiding places below, looking for victims.

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Hedge-o-Matic View Post
    It'd be pretty funny to be driving along in the dark, see one split second of wide-eyes disbelief from the foot soldier running along in the dark before you plow over them. Deer-in-the-headlights effect.

Flying vehicles should still see the ground in wireframe, or something, so they can be piloted. It'd be pretty sweet to have cicadas hunting people down, searchlights swinging among the hiding places below, looking for victims.
    It be like the war in the future in The Terminator.

Iron Guard

thats not very nice.
    irc.globalgamers.org #2k4ctf | UT2004 Grail - goo.gl/y1yNSp

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gregori View Post
    It be like the war in the future in The Terminator.
    Holy crap, yeah! Especially with the great beam effect on the Cicada turret.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I like the weapon light idea. Unreal, the dispersion pistol, firing it the projectile emited light so you could quickcheck your locale in a dark area.
    I'm working on a project in Unreal and some areas are a Lantern MUST.

A map doesnt have to have all dark areas, certain areas could need the use of a light while the rest is a normal map.
    Home page on hold, stay tuned
    -megaboarder-