View Poll Results: Do you think double jumping should stay?

Voters
242. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

136 56.20%
  • No

106 43.80%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Double Jumping

Marrow Fiend

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: KickedWhoCares

Default Double Jumping

Since the poll on dodge jumping is so close I thought Id start one on double jumps. I'll be interested to see whether the same split occurs or not.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I like double jumping
    Ezreal: Intel Core i5 2500K, Asus GTX560Ti DCII TOP + XFX 9600GT, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 128GB Samsung 830 + 2*1TB Samsung F3, 3x24" 1920*1080.

Nazgul: Intel Core i3 2367M, Intel HD3000, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB, 11" 1366*768

Banned

Double Jump? NO!

Boomshot

I don't see why they should remove dodge-jumping, but then still have double jumping. They both use the same method of boosting vertical momentum off a base of thin air (the main reason as to why I don't like the idea of either tbh), so if dodge-jumping becomes impossible, how can double-jumping still be possible?

This is coming at the issue with a certain amount of 'real world' rationality regarding the player physics. I'd have less of an issue if they justified the extra boost with some form of visual effect e.g. small jet burst from boots, ingenious equivalents for characters without boots. I'm only repeating what I've said before though

Banned

I love double jumping, and it’s the only way to allow a ut player to access cretin areas of the map, simple areas like jumping on top of a crate or something. if u think about ut maps and how much u would be limited to where u can go if you only could jump once is incredible. Such a move (taking out double jump) would impact the game so greatly it would be very bad imo. Honestly if double jumping were to be taken out u might as well just go play cs, cause all ut will be is cs with unrealistic weaponry and vehicles LOL. having such free movement in ut is crucial to its success, im still "iffy" and not to sure, and really nervous about the removal of dodge jumping, but if double jumping were cut to I would probably have to reconsider buying 07 at all. It would just change the game play too drastically to what im use to, and it would make ut too much like all the other games of its style such as quake.

and some peeps say "but its not possible, your getting a second jump out of no where" well maybe in 07 they should add these little boosters at the bottom/on the sides of player shoes, that when you hit your second jump a "small boost of fire" barely noticeable, but still there that would explain your second propulsion up in the air. Then that problem is solved...

Quote Originally Posted by Draco
    I love double jumping, and itĺs the only way to allow a ut player to access cretin areas of the map, simple areas like jumping on top of a crate or something. if u think about ut maps and how much u would be limited to where u can go if you only could jump once is incredible. Such a move (taking out double jump) would impact the game so greatly it would be very bad imo. Honestly if double jumping were to be taken out u might as well just go play cs, cause all ut will be is cs with unrealistic weaponry and vehicles LOL. having such free movement in ut is crucial to its success, im still "iffy" and not to sure, and really nervous about the removal of dodge jumping, but if double jumping were cut to I would probably have to reconsider buying 07 at all. It would just change the game play too drastically to what im use to, and it would make ut too much like all the other games of its style such as quake.

and some peeps say "but its not possible, your getting a second jump out of no where" well maybe in 07 they should add these little boosters at the bottom/on the sides of player shoes, that when you hit your second jump a "small boost of fire" barely noticeable, but still there that would explain your second propulsion up in the air. Then that problem is solved...

I recommend you go play the original UT. You could jump on crates and other obstacles with only a single jump. Double jump just resulted in the scale of the objects becoming 30-40% bigger.

i think it adds that extra element to the game tbh

as much as i loved UT99 i think if it was removed i would miss it
    [DOA]ShedBOy^
    [DOA] Disciples Of Apocalypse
    UK UT Gaming Clan since 1999

i-series - the UK's biggest LAN - multiplay.co.uk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by [DOA]ShedBOy^
    i think it adds that extra element to the game tbh

as much as i loved UT99 i think if it was removed i would miss it
    exactly my point,

and "Wail of Suicide" dont tell me to play ut 99 lmao, ive been with this series since the orginal unreal, before ut even came out. i know how it all worked, and double jumping is better than single jumping. plain and simple.
    i just love it when people assume that everyone else has no idea what there talking about or has never played any other game in there life besides ut04...
    Last edited by Draco; 08-29-2006 at 10:34 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I thing Jumpdodge is not needet , however Doublejump should stay to avoid the Damage from the Bunny Hopping rocket Spammers

Boomshot

you can get to any crate by piston jumping ...double jump is not needed and without it you could have smaller maps which would benifit gameplay, one of the most annoying things in 2k3 2k4 was doing a double jump and smaking your head into a doorway or cieling ..no thanks ..but also to ponder the gravity is supposed to be greater so maybe you will not jump as high or as far which would be ok..
    I was born upon the prairie, where the wind blew free, and there was nothing to
    break the light of the sun.

Ten Bears Commanche

Marrow Fiend

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: KickedWhoCares

I think the name doublejump is what causes the misconception about the second jump. Ofcoarse the anims are pretty bad and the effects non-existant almost but I think I remember reading somewhere that jumpboots became standard after ut99 and thats why the double jump came about.

Theres also a hint to thrust jump I think somewhere as well so its not like your jumping again you actually get a boost even if it isnt visible. If you take a look at gorge in uc2 you'll see what Im talking about, that was done really nice with the thrusters on the character models being of some actual use with effects being attached.

Edit:
    I have to agree about the whole deck17 thing but the mapper didnt have to go that way and could have easily made things reachable by a single jump. It would have been nice to be able to clear the crates totally on a double jump, I voted it to stay!

MSgt. Shooter Person

I only have one thing to really say on the double jump argument. if you dont really like some of the advantages of double jumping turn double jump off. If you want to keep it on than keep it on ^^.

I'd prefer if pressing the jump key again in mid air would allow you to lower your weapon and clamber onto a ledge or box or whatever. Better for mobility, but more sensible and if you do it you're putting yourself at risk until you finish with the maneuver (ie, you're dead if you do it in a firefight).

MSgt. Shooter Person

i put double jumping in the same group as shield gun and dodge jumping.. pointless! It takes away from the sense of reward that you got in ut when u had to use piston or some other method to get on top of a crate and have the advantage on ur opponent. Now all you have to do is a "huH...... HUT" and your in.

Quote Originally Posted by Miko
    if you dont really like some of the advantages of double jumping turn double jump off.
    I'd rather see it the other way around. Double jump is a glitchy gimmick and should be moved to a mutator like quad jump. Any argument that can be made for double jump can be made for quad jump. The only reason double jump is generally accepted is because it was turned on by default.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Interesting poll, because unlike the dodge-jump, I've seen very few comments for the double-jump, and many against. Obviously I'm suprised that the poll shows differently, but am left wondering why only relatively few people point out why they'd like to keep it in.

I voted "No", because I feel the game doesn't need it, and a single, slightly higher jump would be better..

In the end though I don't really care about it all that much, it's not dominating as the dodge-jump and is just an extention of something already there. It doesn't completely alter the gameplay.

Banned

Default it should stay

UT's movement sets it apart from all other bunny hopping strafing shooters.If you can move farther,higher,and or faster in anyway in adds intensity and is more rewarding when you do earn that frag.

After playing UT I feel like I am basically speedwalking and skipping around playing other all other shooters.

I could live without if need be though.Dodgejump should also stay and be toned down some.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The_Deacon
    I don't see why they should remove dodge-jumping, but then still have double jumping. They both use the same method of boosting vertical momentum off a base of thin air (the main reason as to why I don't like the idea of either tbh), so if dodge-jumping becomes impossible, how can double-jumping still be possible?

This is coming at the issue with a certain amount of 'real world' rationality regarding the player physics. I'd have less of an issue if they justified the extra boost with some form of visual effect e.g. small jet burst from boots, ingenious equivalents for characters without boots. I'm only repeating what I've said before though
    I think what what epic was trying to say is that dodging wasnt really a jump at all, it was a dodge, so in there heads it means that you basically dont jump into the air to begin with a second jump, like that of a double jump.

Personally I like both, but considering there removing dodge jumping id suggest they leave double jumping. I vote yes

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Centurion

For all jumps dodge dubble etc. YES !!!
    ROOTS REGGAE
    REGGAEMIX

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Kharny

double jump should stay

its the least complained about addition in the 2kX series.
    Founder and Clan Leader
    [DOA]
    est 1999

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: XI Apathy IX

I voted no.. I also don't see why they would kill dodge jump, but keep double jump. Extra boost? You'd think it would be better to make the character just jump a little higher.
    ||Antec 900||GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD3P||i5-2500K 4.1GHZ(OC'd)||G.Skill 12800 (16GB)||MSI 460 GTX Cyclone||Onboard Sound||Win 7 Ult. 64 bit||
    Yes, I still love PC gaming!

MSgt. Shooter Person

I see no real purpose for it, and including it just for the sake of including it would be silly. So remove it I say.

Redeemer

DJ makes for the most ridiculous bunny hopping rocket wielding DM's I've ever played. It was a bad idea IMO that detracted from gameplay, along with all the other super mario movement.
    Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

Palace Guard
    In the middle of a minefield. Please send help.

I'd rather see a useful single jump than a worthless one along with a doublejump you need to use to get over anything higher then 40 centimeters. It's not that annoying though, so my vote goes to the third (And hidden/superexclusive) alternative: Meh.
    Last edited by Da Spadger; 09-01-2006 at 11:54 AM.
    If it wasn't for the character limit in signatures, you'd be reading a very fascinating story about the seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses floating around in hangar ninety six. Marathon rules.

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: XI Apathy IX

I'd like to see the front flipping animation when you dodge forward return.. Don't see that happening though
    ||Antec 900||GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD3P||i5-2500K 4.1GHZ(OC'd)||G.Skill 12800 (16GB)||MSI 460 GTX Cyclone||Onboard Sound||Win 7 Ult. 64 bit||
    Yes, I still love PC gaming!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Exclamation It sucked, and still sucks

I'd prefer a useful single jump than a useless double jump. Double jump is pointless for experienced players, and makes the movement needlessly difficult for newer players.

I'm amazed Epic have left it in to be perfectly honest...

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Sero
    Interesting poll, because unlike the dodge-jump, I've seen very few comments for the double-jump, and many against.
    It's them n00bs who are so proud to have found out an advanced movement technique by watching the tutorials.

double jump is fine, better than a rocket man feeling single jump... If you jump to high with the double, only use the singe. If the single is to low, use a double. It just lets you navigate a map more effectivly without having to hold down a key.
    ~Clan Smiley~
    NA Forum: www.smil3y.com

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: CoxCRO

Quote Originally Posted by The_Deacon
    I Agree, it makes no sense. At least there is double jumping. Batter double jump than nothing

Iron Guard

Toned down double jump can stay.

I also think that Half Life style crouch jump should be added for jumpin into small spaces, gaps, windows, vents, pipes, tunnels that are above ground level.

Ward

I'm not sure. I've played UT2004 with the UTclassic mutator and had only dodge jump disabled to get a taste of how UT2007 might play, and I thought that double jump at itself only useful on a limited amount of occasions. For example, I generally wasn't tempted to double jump in combat, because a normal dodge is far more useful in such a situation.

Redeemer

Quote Originally Posted by Ward
    I'm not sure. I've played UT2004 with the UTclassic mutator and had only dodge jump disabled to get a taste of how UT2007 might play, and I thought that double jump at itself only useful on a limited amount of occasions. For example, I generally wasn't tempted to double jump in combat, because a normal dodge is far more useful in such a situation.
    Tried removing both? IMO it feels better without both, and double jump is annoying really, everytime I jump seems like my thumb automaticly press it again and I make myself more vulnerable. It became a reflex, and an annoying one.
    SFJake

AFG34

why should they, that wud be stupid, i think UT04 is classsssic, it just needs warfare, and some more little improvements

MSgt. Shooter Person

The results of this thread make me a sad panda. There's no logical reason for a double jump to stay if the dodge jump isn't also staying, but we're better off and more in your face if they're removed.

The only instance it would be permissable is similar to the wall dodge - when you're up against something. A wall dodge makes sense cause you can jump up next to the wall and then kick off it.

It would be plausible to jump up next to a crate, and then jump again off the crate to get on top of said crate. It might be kind of fun to jump up next to a teammate and then jump off the teammate to reach a ledge or something.

But that's it, and personally, I woudn't really want to see those, but if there were insistent about leaving some form of double jump in, that would be the only instances I would be okay with. I say that not meaning I won't play the game - of course I will, and I'll learn it and get used to it just like I have with 2k3 and 2k4. But I'd rather it were removed.

MSgt. Shooter Person

i want to be able to walldodge off people
    Trickjumper.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Nuky
    i want to be able to walldodge off people
    wouldn't be a wall-dodge anymore then..

hmm people-dodge

Redeemer
    in an alternate dimension where anarchy is law
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: AB CursedApollo

everything has a purpose, i for one voted yes simply because DJ can be very adventagous when used correctly, i am a assult map whore and proud of it. there are alot of well detailed maps that have. wait for it. hills!!! one of the most annoying yet effective tatic is to back behind hill such that when you DJ you are just high enough to see your target and fire. if your a good enough marksmen like me you can take them out in 1 to 3 hits. and since you decend quickly the said target will have almost no time to react. my point is everything has a use. if you dont like DJ OR dodge jump, fine. there are some coders who fix that for ya. eh... sorry if i went on a rant... just my 2 bits on the subject.
    Originally Posted by BloodyCreep: topic: Why do I hear retarded Rumors of Active Reload Removal? At least from the Sniper?

Originally Posted by joeGraf: Don't listen to rumors. AFAIK, no one here is even remotely entertaining the idea.
    well there you go ppl go STFU about the AR!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by MonsOlympus
    Since the poll on dodge jumping is so close I thought Id start one on double jumps. I'll be interested to see whether the same split occurs or not.
    Double jumping is nice and tasty.

Seriously, why would you downgrade the movement?
    (shaking head...)

jj

dodge jump/wall dodge = ok, double jump = ftl, waste of time, and since it's a new game, there basically wont be maps with unaccesable areas (or accessable by other means), double jumping was just a waste of time otherwise.
    AMD 3800+ X2 | 2 gigs ddr400 | 160 gb & 400 gb HDDs | BFG 7950GT OC 256 mb | 22" Acer Widescreen | BIG WHITE FAN B****|
    xfire: theedeathmaster..........In game name: DEATHMASTER
    HERE'S MA' PROFILE!: http://www.xfire.com/profile/theedeathmaster/

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by jjensson
    Double jumping is nice and tasty.

Seriously, why would you downgrade the movement?
    (shaking head...)

jj
    DJ is useful for example if you want to jump up onto stairs or ramps from the side - this saves time (you can jump higher = further up the stairs/ramp). There are more examples, but my brain is too tired to remember now.

jj

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast