Thread: UT2007 Netcode

Banned

Default UT2007 Netcode

After playing F.E.A.R. I had relized that the netcode is by far one of the best I've seen in video games. I could ping within 200 with 3 packetloss and not notice a thing between it the single player and multiplayer delay. If epic managed to design there netcode for UT2007 like that or even better I would probably end up driving up and hugging each and everyone of them...

I really dislike having to ping 30 or below to have a lan experience between online in UT2004. I most certianly hope UT2007's netcode is spactacular.

err LOL?

Thats cause FEAR gameplay is MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH slower than 2k4.

Hey Guys!! I just played Chess online with a 1000 ping and it was just like playing it on a LAN!!
    ~Clan Smiley~
    NA Forum: www.smil3y.com

Banned

Garcia no thats nothing to do with it, if you were to actually shoot an assualt rifle in UT to the Assult rifle in FEAR, both guns may do alot diff damage but in general they both are hitscan, however the AR on FEAR has no lead what so ever where as the AR on UT depends on the ping your getting, if you were to be pinging about 20 on UT it would be the exact same as the fear lead but if u were to be pinging 200 there would be no difference, and also on UT if u were to be getting 5 pl you would most likily warp while running or dodging unlike in fear where u never warp at all, im guessing u probably have no idea of what newnet might be on UT2004.

Marrow Fiend

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: KickedWhoCares

Hmmz, no lead. I just had to reply as it sounds like ut2k4 is more realistic than a tac shooter. Perhaps Im just taking what you said the wrong way

Banned

Let me refrase this for a few of you. Shooting a gun like the AR in UT is hitscan, what i mean by this is it hits the wall at no matter the range instantly, however if you were to be pinging 200 from 20 on UT you would notice that the one with 200 would have a delay from which the gun actually shot but the bullets still hit instantly. Where as on fear the gun fires with absolutly no delay between when the gun was fired from 20 or 200. UT has somthing thats very similar to this called "enhanced netcode" which comes with utcomp1.6a,i sudjust u try it and see what im talking about.

Marrow Fiend

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: KickedWhoCares

Yeah I have tried utcomp and I know what your talking about, I just find it strange that you are saying that it should have no delay. A real bullet doesnt hit instantly and usually tac shooter peeps ask for more realism so it was just a bit out of the ordinary.

Hopefully the netcode is improved and works hand in hand with the new physics, I have every confidence in epic to produce solid online play so Im not that worried personally.

Banned

well mosolympus all im stating really is that it shouldnt matter between your ping that u should have to lead less or more. I could careless if it instantly hits or not as long as the lead isnt differd by the ping.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Exclamation Random, just.... random...

Whatever Epic does, I really, seriously hope that they don't make the netcode like UTComps...

I know what newnet is and what it does for 2k4, the speed of the actors has everything to do with it.

In a slower paced game like FEAR the difference in location for actors between server vs client is less. ie. you can't move your actor fast enough to cause a huge difference in location between your client and the server.

In 2k4 there is a greater discrepency between the actors location on the server vs your client simply due to the ability to instantly change direction and speed as well as travel huge distances with dodges and jumps.

How is the difference in location resolved? Well simply put, stock netcode says the server is always right, while with newnet its like a combination of server and client.

Personally I find that the 2k4 stock netcode provides a more stable and consistant expierence for me. But I do ping <30 to most servers I play on (yea im spoiled).

Didn't mean to flame ya really, but you can hardly draw a comparison between the two games since the gameplay is so different.
    ~Clan Smiley~
    NA Forum: www.smil3y.com

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Checkmate-
    Let me refrase this for a few of you. Shooting a gun like the AR in UT is hitscan, what i mean by this is it hits the wall at no matter the range instantly, however if you were to be pinging 200 from 20 on UT you would notice that the one with 200 would have a delay from which the gun actually shot but the bullets still hit instantly. Where as on fear the gun fires with absolutly no delay between when the gun was fired from 20 or 200. UT has somthing thats very similar to this called "enhanced netcode" which comes with utcomp1.6a,i sudjust u try it and see what im talking about.
    Maybe FEAR uses client side hit detection like zeroping in UT99. It's a nice way to make up for ping but very risky when it comes to hacks.

Banned

Ok ill put it this way, In AvP2 which had similar netcode to fears other then people would warp on a regular basis, aliens could fly 10x faster then a UT player across the map and yet there was no lead between the sniper from when u shot them in mid air.
    Last edited by Kronos; 08-25-2006 at 06:34 PM.

Fear cant be clientside detection, I HAVE felt lag before. But I must agree with the thread starter here, fear has some really excellent netcode.

Banned

The only thing i ask is that epic wont make the netcode as it is in UTComp 16 hehe.

dont try to fake zero ping just try to make the ping as lower as possible, but what do i know about network, I guess u can count on epic in this issue. the original ut2004 netcode aint so bad after all, and im sure its gonna be better in UT2K7, so i have no concerns about that.

altough im pretty far from europe so it would be nice if ill actually be able to play a decent 1on1 matches with europeans with 80-100 ping, which in ut2k4 is totally impossible.

MSgt. Shooter Person

UT2004 netcode is not bad but it's not good enough, high pingers are still at a disadvantage against low pingers, I hope the netcode will be improved on UT2007
    ~ More human than human ~

MSgt. Shooter Person

just no more dud rockets and flak balls please

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by Garcia y Vega
    I know what newnet is and what it does for 2k4, the speed of the actors has everything to do with it.

In a slower paced game like FEAR the difference in location for actors between server vs client is less. ie. you can't move your actor fast enough to cause a huge difference in location between your client and the server.

In 2k4 there is a greater discrepency between the actors location on the server vs your client simply due to the ability to instantly change direction and speed as well as travel huge distances with dodges and jumps.

How is the difference in location resolved? Well simply put, stock netcode says the server is always right, while with newnet its like a combination of server and client.

Personally I find that the 2k4 stock netcode provides a more stable and consistant expierence for me. But I do ping <30 to most servers I play on (yea im spoiled).

Didn't mean to flame ya really, but you can hardly draw a comparison between the two games since the gameplay is so different.
    You are right but try to play with a 80 to 140 ping to any server against 30 ping players it is very fustrating and also makes the game not much fun..Having a netcode or something that equals the playing field should be top priority for game makers only when this happens can you have a truly fair game between people all over the country,and untill then it is still who has the lowest ping,when skills are equal .
    I was born upon the prairie, where the wind blew free, and there was nothing to
    break the light of the sun.

Ten Bears Commanche

MSgt. Shooter Person

Newnet is not the solution
    Trickjumper.

MSgt. Shooter Person

UTComp's netcode blows. Shots don't register half the time. I prefer the old netcode to be honest.