Thread: Melee tips

Skaarj

Default Melee tips

Hey guys,

I've heard alot of people asking about melee strategy. Some people have made the assumption that the best way to win a melee fight is to mash the attack button in order to be the first to strike, or to just pounce over and over again. The fact is that there are a number of strategies you can adopt that will make you a better melee fighter.

There is no definitive way to use melee, so I can only explain to the best of my understanding. Other intepretations are welcome.

Here are the main things I will explain: reflect, shield, movement, timing, and when to use the various melee attacks.

Reflect is commonly known for its ability to reflect projectiles, but it is equally, if not MORE useful as a parry to melee attacks. Learn to recognize the various attacks so that you can master the timing of reflecting them.

Since you might not always be able to get a reflect, sometimes its more efficient to put up your shield to fend off a series of light attacks. There is always a delay between a character's light attacks, so a great tactic is to shield, take a few hits, then drop the shield and launch your own attack as your opponent finishes his/hers. Heavy attacks work well here.

While you are performing a light attack, you have full control of your characters movement. Take advantage of this by strafing in little circles and trying to be closest to the enemy only when your weapons will make contact. This way you can reduce the chance that their attack will hit you.

You need to know when to use light attack, when to use heavy attack, and when to pounce.

Light attacks are great for pecking at somebody or trying to get them to engage you.
    Heavy attacks are extremely risky. You lose control of your characters movement for a few seconds, so it is a committed attack. It can be good to use this in two situations. 1) If you are first approaching an enemy and can time the heavy attack so that damage is dealt right as you make contact. 2) The other is to start a heavy attack immediately after an opponent has done theirs. They won't be able to strike for a few seconds after commiting a heavy attack. Poorly timed heavy attacks == you are dead. That is why I said above that sometimes the goal of a melee fight is to draw the enemy into a foolish heavy attack.

Pounce is great to use in many situations if you have the adrenaline (it takes 2 bars). This is a quick lunge forward that does a good amount of damage, kind of between a light and heavy attack. If you are locked on, pounce has some added movement tracking to help you hit. Pounce can work well while your opponent is flying through the air because of the movement tracking. Beware of pouncing into an in-progress melee attack; I can't count the number of times pounced straight into a heavy attack, and the person doing the heavy attack always wins that encounter

And above all, you should ALWAYS be locked on to your opponent in a melee fight. If you don't know, that means pressing the right thumstick down while you are aiming at them.

There are many styles of play using these techniques. If you have your own stylized melee strategy, this is the place to discuss it.

Skaarj

Default RE: Melee tips

Ha, thanks for the tips. I was the one that made the "melee combat" thread at Xbox forums asking for tips. Your tips have helped a lot. I am learning how to reflect melee attacks with ease and I can shield efficiently now. I only seem to lose a melee fight when another person enters and I am forced to duel with two at once. I pull out my rockets and jump away if this happens, but if I'm rocketless I lose fights sometimes (but win them too). Anyways, your tips helped a lot and I'm becoming a very vicious melee and ranged fighter. Also, I can pull off Cu De Gra's with ease

MSgt. Shooter Person

Heh, yea glad to hear that button mashing isn't simply the best way to win (as was the vibe I was getting from the XBox forums) =] ...even though I find it hard to beat my dad the button masher in Soul Calibur 2 and the like (impossible to predict and such =D)

PS-Can we please have an edit button? =)

Skaarj

Here are the "freeze" combos for each character.

You "freeze" your opponent with either a charged shot (L trigger) from the default pistols (except for Szalor), or 4 consecutive light attacks or parrys in a close up melee duel. Once you've frozen your opponent make sure you're locked on and enter the following combos:

L and R refer to the L trigger and R trigger

Lauren: X, Y, left, right, R

Anubis: X, Y, up, A, R

Szalor: X, Y, down, up+L+R, down, up+L+R

Thanks to Gamefaqs forums for this info.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thank you.

Skaarj

for szalor, it's easier to push X, Y, hold L and R triggers, and push down, up.

MSgt. Shooter Person

"for szalor, it's easier to push X, Y, hold L and R triggers, and push down, up."
    You are right.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Please, please, please...

Skaarj

A good way I've learned to get kills is to use specific adrenaline abilities while in close, then take 'em out with a melee attack. I use Anuubis' Energy Blast when I get in close and then melee for the kill. It's also a good way to get double and triple kills.

Skaarj

Thx for the tips!

MSgt. Shooter Person

I still don't know every single melee move. What are they?

MSgt. Shooter Person

According to http://epicboards.ign.com/All_things_UC2/b10666/18455541/?13 , Epic, the only people who know everything, want to keep some things secret.

one way is to just be a living bouncing ball. use arieal attacks to stick a spear in your opponents head an hit then run up al wall do it again an in mid-air draw your pistols/anyother dual or weapon, take some shots. run around a corner so he follows you en then do an attack. but actually. just use the walls.

Skaarj

does the thing where you jump in the air and press fire then fly across the map actually do damge or is it just for getting around.

MSgt. Shooter Person

It does a little bit of damage, and counts for one of the melee hits towards freezing the enemy. It also goes much farther than pouncing, so it's a good way to get an opening melee hit in to follow up with 2 quick slices (Lauren). That can usually be enough to freeze the target, if you don't need to hit once more. Then the coup de grace for the kill! ^_^

Be sure to use wraith before trying that though. It's so much better when you can lock on, and they can't. Lauren should freeze the enemy so fast, they won't have time to activate an ability to stop locking.

Skaarj

Most of time people try going in melee only. You should go to a fight with a gun out. Shoot to weaken them, keep walking backwards and shooting. If they get close bring out your melee weapon and fight back.
    Should bring a gun, when a player is well know for rocket kills that can't be defected, or they use the Stinger's primary attack.

When someone jumps, get ready to block, becasue most likey they will Pounce you. If you have low health they can finish you with almost no problem so run or use a heavy attack as said by Ictus.

Skaarj

I find it usefull to not lock on in melee sometimes. coz this way you will move different and its easier to dodge attacks. plus its not predictable. but you have to make sure you hit your opponent.

if someone wants to melee attack me i use to jump backwards shooting rockets at his feet. while he keeps fallowing me i stop for a heavy attack to finish him off.

Skaarj

i'm pretty big on melee and one strategy that got me a few times is when i back someone into a corner and do a heavy attack, i miss my oppenent because he jumps, so now he's on top of me dancing on my head while unloading his gun on me. it's actually pretty funny if you think about it. like how you throw a bunch of bread crumbs at one of your friends and a group of birds just suddenly start chasing after him. melee tip of cation or a good tip if your cornered by someone with melee.

Skaarj

to that one jump before you NO PROFANITYblow him in the wall
    so you come from the sky hitting his face and grind him under earth or something like that

Skaarj

First melee is mad as its the best ting dat has eva happened..........this is wat i got 2 show u guys...........

Below is a list of how to do the coup de grace for each Character in the Unreal Championship 2 Demo.

First, before you hit the button combos, you must freeze your foe with either 4 melee attacks/perrys, or freeze him with your dual enforcers. After this lock on by pressing R, and than pull out your melee weapon.

Anubis - X,Y,Up,A,R
    Lauren - X,Y,Left,Right,R
    Szalor - X, Y, Hold Left + Right triggers, Down, Up

For Szalor you need to either melee/perry the person 4 times or deflect a enforcer secondary at the victim

find me... unreal_conflict@hotmail.com

Unreal Championship 2 RULES