MSgt. Shooter Person

Default Anyone need a custom static mesh or two made?

I'm itching to model something, but I'm drawing a blank on what to make. I figure there are at least a few people around here with the polar opposite; have ideas, but don't really know how to make a static mesh outside of UED. (And I know how frustrating that is.)

So... yeah. I propose a win/win situation. I get practice, you get free stuff.

I can UV map, and I can texture to an extent, as well.

Keep in mind, though, the more detailed it is, the more likely I'm gonna need some sort of reference(s).

I'm bored. Gimme somethin' to do. :3

Redeemer

Oh my..:shock:..
    If you don't mind, I've got a fairly simple mesh I'm in desperate need of.
    I've been working on my first released map, vctf Defcon, & I need one or two ICBMs in mesh-form if it's no trouble.

I'm learning the details of mapping, texturing, and (oh-so basic) coding, & unfortuantely starting from scratch in Maya has had to fall by the wayside a bit.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=...&start=20&sa=N

Just a bit of an idea there, basically what I could do with is a huge missile I can use instead of the bsp/csg brushes I've had to use here;

I'd initally meant to learn basic mesh building before I'd gotten to this point in construction, but as it is I've had it all on just to absorb everything I've covered so far..

If you don't mind taking this on, there's very few things I'd ask you to stick to.
    Firstly, it would have to be about 1024uu high, maybe even a touch more, whatever's easiest to UV.

I'd like a bit of obtrusion, some stabilising fins so they're even more instantly recognisable would be great, but you know the score about Unreal, it doesn't have to be entirely realistic, I'm after a really threatening, menacing kind of missile shape, that fits in with that US Missile defence, cold-war type image, but apart from that I don't mind you taking as much artistic liscence as you like.

They need to be able to line up as you see here, I'll tell you what I plan to do, because it's probably easier to let you work out your own fine details rather than to try & dictate stuff to you.

I'm trying to line up the missiles, and have a long catwalk/walkway/scaffolding type structure build up around them, so that players can have firefights among the disused nuclear weapons.

Anything you'd like to come up with on that criteira would be great, I hope it's not insultingly simple, but it's truely more than I can manage to fit in if I ever want to see this get released.
    Cheers.
    OSMT - SuperApe's 2K4 Toolset for SP and Coop mappers.
    Use Of Weapons - A Single Player campaign for 2K4, built with osmt.
    Use Of Weapons: 2 - In production.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I'll do it. :3

One thing, though... the "insultingly simple" statement. General ICBM shapes aren't that complex... which is more of a bonus for me, because it leaves me with a lot of room to work with.

Mmyes. This could be fun.

And as a bit of a sidenote, I'd like to help you test that map, when it's ready. Looks friggin' sweet.

Edit. Do you have aim or msn?

Redeemer

Yowsers, thanks!

I'm sorry, I don't tend to use instant messenger progs but I'd be happy to continue by email if you'd like, (The Big Jimmage at gmail dot com) or even to leave the details up in the thread, if you think it might help someone else wrestling with Maya.

I'd be all too happy if you'd like to help with the testing, I uploaded a (very very) early build to filefront a litle while back, (http://files.filefront.com/VCTF_Defc.../fileinfo.html) , and hopefully this week I'll be be able to get a beta out.

I've got some persistant bsp-holios to fix though, and of course the missile hoard will be subject to change depending on the missile mesh, so it's not like there's a pressing deadline.

Luckily though, it's a fairly easy area of the map to edit, so it'll be a breeze to edit the room around the meshes.

Thanks again matie it's a kind offer & really appreciated too, I hope you have fun with it.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Here's what I've done so far.

...I've discovered it's a little hard to make something so basic in shape look... well, menacing, while keeping it simplistic, and largely I'm not sure if I've pulled that off at all. ^^; I'm sure I can boost the appearance with the textures, though.

Basically, what I've done is create a basic ICBM shape, and put a sort of armor-peircing tip to it, although I'm thinking said tip should be stronger and more stable at the moment. Concept based largely on thinking about anti-bunker missiles.

Any suggestions? Or continue to UV mapping?

MSgt. Shooter Person

hmm I think you should make the missile a bit more long looking, hence the cold war intercontinental missiles! also, I think the stages of the missile should be more defined and the tip, maybe add a guiding cone (glass) under the tip, give it a more smart missile look and OH! if its big then you should put three nozzles at the end instead of one makes it look more powerful

MSgt. Shooter Person

And oh! the stabilizers are too thick and squary : / make it more rounded at the tips and a bit skinner

MSgt. Shooter Person

Originally posted by Doomfest
    And oh! the stabilizers are too thick and squary : / make it more rounded at the tips and a bit skinner
    They were intended to be "squary" to an extent; they're partially braces. However, you do make some good points. Gimme a few minutes to update it.

Sidenote. The glass you were talking about... that would be between the actual warhead and the peircing tip, right?

MSgt. Shooter Person

You mean like this, or sharper, like fins?

(heh, rounding the stabilizers nearly doubled the polycount... X3 Went from about 1048 to nearly 2000... funny how the little changes can start adding up)

Redeemer

Ooh, that looks lovely.
    That's the kinda thing I meant about the Unreal *style* (if you will), it doesn't have to be practical, as long as it looks cool.

I know that ICBMs have to be a very specific kind of shape & size, but as long as your casual layer looks up & knows what it is, then by all means take as many style-liberties as you like.

I actually really like those fins running down it's length, almost like an arrow, I see where Doomfest's coming from, the sticky-out, Batmobile style fins have a very 50's/60's, cold war era feel (even if that particular style was confined to Hollywood space rockets), but I think the streamlined look you have there it is more functional & mean looking.
    Of course, you may even prefer some kind of compromise between the two, that's entirely up to you.

Personally I think the sharp edges on the fins are cool, but if you make them too sharp, it might end up looking a bit too angular and UT99-ish, but then again I don't know..
    That hollowpoint is nice as well, it's impractical, but it looks dangerous as hell.

Great stuff, I'm really looking forward to using this. *rubs hands together in glee*

MSgt. Shooter Person

yeah you read the vision in my mind ^^ and yes, the glass is in between

this model is going to look awesome skinned (when its done that is)

MSgt. Shooter Person

Originally posted by BigJim
    Ooh, that looks lovely.
    That's the kinda thing I meant about the Unreal *style* (if you will), it doesn't have to be practical, as long as it looks cool.

I know that ICBMs have to be a very specific kind of shape & size, but as long as your casual layer looks up & knows what it is, then by all means take as many style-liberties as you like.

I actually really like those fins running down it's length, almost like an arrow, I see where Doomfest's coming from, the sticky-out, Batmobile style fins have a very 50's/60's, cold war era feel (even if that particular style was confined to Hollywood space rockets), but I think the streamlined look you have there it is more functional & mean looking.
    Of course, you may even prefer some kind of compromise between the two, that's entirely up to you.

Personally I think the sharp edges on the fins are cool, but if you make them too sharp, it might end up looking a bit too angular and UT99-ish, but then again I don't know..
    That hollowpoint is nice as well, it's impractical, but it looks dangerous as hell.

Great stuff, I'm really looking forward to using this. *rubs hands together in glee*

Glad I could help. :3

What would you like for the label? Y'know, the label.... whatever the text is that designates where it's from, or whatever. The small portion of text on the side of it. ^^;

Redeemer

Ah, I'm entirely open to ideas here.
    For the temporary missiles I'd built for my early versions of the map, I'd just photoshopped up a quickie tex with Nuck-Ehm MKII down the side.

It's a bit silly, but I thought it'd get the idea across that these funny tube-things were meant to be missiles until I'd gotten to grips with the mesh-proper.
    Just poking about Wiki, I found this list;

Current and former US ballistic missiles

* Atlas (SM-65, CGM-16) former ICBM launched fro///
    * Titan I (SM-68, HGM-25A)
    * Titan II (SM-68B, LGM-25C) - former ICBM launched from silo, now the rocket is us//
    * Minuteman I (SM-80, LGM-30A/B, HSM-80)
    * Minuteman II (LGM-30F)
    * Minuteman III (LGM-30G) - launched from silo - as of June 28, 2004, there are 517 Minuteman III missiles in active inventory
    * LG-118A Peacekeeper / MX (LG-118A, MX) - silo-based; 29 missiles were on alert at the beginning of ///
    * Midgetman - has never been operational - launched from mobile launcher
    * Polaris A1, A2, A3 - (UGM-27/A/B/C) former SLBM
    * Poseidon C3 - (UGM-73) former SLBM
    * Trident - (UGM-93A/B) SLBM - Trident II (D5) was first deployed in 1990 and is planned to be deployed past 2020.

That said (pasted), you don't by rights have to use any specific text if you don't want to, or think that you've got a better idea.
    In the end I was planning on doing one or two additional textures, so that I can break them up a little & get a bit of variation among the missile hoard.
    (it's meant to be a disused facilty with abandoned weapons, not a fully-working missile base, and in my early builds using the same tex for all the missile just maked it look a bit bland).

For my money (well ok, not money, but at least my vote of confidence - Eternal for Prez! ), I'm happy with whatever texture you settle on, since I'll probably be doing (read - attempting) one or two of my own to go with it no doubt.

Again, I'm not trying to abdicate responsibility or anything, but since you made it, you must have some kind of idea of how you imagine it to look.
    I'm trying to use a fair bit of the old USAF Missile Defence imagery in the map, so as long as it fits in with that style, you can go wild for me.

Thank you again for all the hard work, I'll credit you fully in the readme & posted descriptions, but if you want any additional info to go in the readme, just let me know.

MSgt. Shooter Person

OMG you look like a really good modeler and don't get me wrong that rocket looks awesome. BUT.....There's more to a model then pretty looks. How many triangles are on that modle? I won't slam you until I have a reason to complain. but it looks like it has an extremely high triangle count. I could be wrong but that model just looks way too smooth and I don't think it's because of soft edges.

(ps im only complaining cause I made the same mistake. I was really proud of my gun model...Except a gun model really shoulden't have more then 2000 triangles...)

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thank you again for all the hard work, I'll credit you fully in the readme & posted descriptions, but if you want any additional info to go in the readme, just let me know. [/B]
    Lol ^^

The only other thing I'd ask you to put in the readme is that there are a few textures from HourIndusX_2004 and that new G-pack texture pack. :3

I fully understand you wantin' to screw with the textures for this; I expected it from the start, and I encourage you to. :3 If the colors aren't right, try opening the texture up in somethin' like photoshop, make a layer over it, fill it with whatever color you'd rather it be, screw with the opacity and use the eraser tool to remove said new color from places you don't want it to be in.

As for text on the side of it, I was also refering to perhaps putting the name of whatever you wanted the base to be called on the side.

Originally posted by THENUCK
    OMG you look like a really good modeler and don't get me wrong that rocket looks awesome. BUT.....There's more to a model then pretty looks. How many triangles are on that modle? I won't slam you until I have a reason to complain. but it looks like it has an extremely high triangle count. I could be wrong but that model just looks way too smooth and I don't think it's because of soft edges.

(ps im only complaining cause I made the same mistake. I was really proud of my gun model...Except a gun model really shoulden't have more then 2000 triangles...)

First of all, I really don't consider that a complaint. :3 More of offering advice based on past eperiance.

Seccond, I have kept it in mind, but thanks for your concern. Although I do truely have yet to witness what a good polycount for this would be... I do know that it's 1786 triangles, largely due to the fins, which nearly doubled it. In other words, I'm not entirely sure if I should have reduced it a bit more. (If this is a bad count, TELL ME NOW, lol)

Third... does it really look that good? O.o Crap, I've only been doing this for about a week now... this is essentially the third model I've ever made. ^^;

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hmm, it is of course up to BigJim to decide, but although 1700-something polys isn't a problem in itself, these things have to be placed quite a few times.

I don't know if you've UV mapped yet, but if not, you may want to consider trimming down the polys a bit, starting at the fins you mentioned.
    Also, perhaps make it a bit slimmer. This would require a lot of work, but by making the rocket thinner, you could use less polys for your basic cylinder shape, which lower poly count considerably, without getting rid of detail.

Redeemer

Originally posted by SolaceEternal
    Lol ^^

The only other thing I'd ask you to put in the readme is that there are a few textures from HourIndusX_2004 and that new G-pack texture pack. :3

///

As for text on the side of it, I was also refering to perhaps putting the name of whatever you wanted the base to be called on the side.

///

Third... does it really look that good? O.o Crap, I've only been doing this for about a week now... this is essentially the third model I've ever made. ^^;
    Ah, hourences textures? I've been looking for an excuse to use that pack myself, no worries.

I get what you mean about the name down the side, I was just trying to say it's as much up to you as the base texture is, since I was planning on two or three missile variations, each with a different tex, I'd rather let you come up with the texture you want to do, rather than to try & dictate what I think would work based off a screenshot.

Also, I'm just as likley to prefer your ideas over my own, I'd never pass up the chance to get an outside opinion or take on it.

BTW, it's certainly good looking from here, I'm surprised it's only your 3rd model (the previous two I'm sure being your intial experiments into Maya), I certainly wouldn't have the confidence to produce a mesh for someone at that stage, hats off to ya'.

I honestly can't tell you about the ideal polycount, ooh, hang on.. *opens up UED & checks stock meshes..*

Well, the Bulldog mesh is 2352 polys, the Anubis statues are 2100, 2400 and 800 polys (roughly), so although I doubt the missiles will be a major system-killer, the large number of triangles may well cause you problems (well, annoyances shall we say) during UV mapping.
    The more triangles, the more you need to fiddle about with laying them down.

Personally I'd say let you decide. You've got the working copy, so if you personally think it would look as good with a reduced polycount, then by all means reduce it as much as you see fit.

I'm led to believe (that is, I've never done it myself), that balancing up the appearance vs performance of your mesh is all part of the learning process, but then again what do I know, I'm just being cheeky now.

Thanks again, ps; I've just built my new computer, so now I should be able to work in UED for more than an hour at a time without it dying on me, yay!

MSgt. Shooter Person

I think the texture should be like the Nexus missiles from UT2004 :3 I like those colors, but like just that olive drab and make your own spray-painted text and **** making HUGE white letters on the side might make it look like a show-rocket though :P maybe a radioactive sign?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Yeah, UV mapping it took most of yesterday and this morning. (Literally. >.>)

As of right now I'm screwing with the textures... and I'm havin' a bit of a problem with them. Not so much applying textures, but picking the RIGHT textures, lol. You'll probably get the "finished" version sometime today, weither it be in an hour or sometime tonight.

And I wasn't counting the maya tutorials when I said I had made three models; the first was a model of the Inflator from Turok: Rage Wars, and the seccond was my variation on it. :3

Meh.... I could not for the life of me do a decent texturing job on it. >.< At least I got it uv mapped, though. ^^;

MSgt. Shooter Person

Actually i went through the engine and there were a couple times I saw models with over 3000 triangles. So your model may actually be pretty decent with what your trying to do. Doesn't work for my model unfortunatly....

The only weapon that comes close to 1000 triangles is the reedemer
    everything else is under 500

MSgt. Shooter Person

...Tadaa?

Yeah, so... after going through numorous different textures, I essentially just put some on there that didn't make it look like complete and total crapshaith. With BigJim going to be customizing the textures for it anyway, hopefully it won't matter. ^^;

..come to think of it, how do you want me to send this to you?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Blaah. Please make the missile more GREEN

MSgt. Shooter Person

hey, can you make me a custom mesh, a rectangular glass or Hologram control panel that is about 512 long and 256 thick? i can't use maya or 3ds max and I'll draw you a concept if you will work with me :x my map needs more custom staticmeshes, btw. wanna help?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Originally posted by Doomfest
    hey, can you make me a custom mesh, a rectangular glass or Hologram control panel that is about 512 long and 256 thick? i can't use maya or 3ds max and I'll draw you a concept if you will work with me :x my map needs more custom staticmeshes, btw. wanna help?
    absolutely. :3

Redeemer

...Tadaa?

Yeah, so... after going through numorous different textures, I essentially just put some on there that didn't make it look like complete and total crapshaith. With BigJim going to be customizing the textures for it anyway, hopefully it won't matter. ^^;

..come to think of it, how do you want me to send this to you?
    You've just knocked that up? That's fantastic, even more so when you realise you were working from the vaguest of breifs, have not seen the level where it sits, & pulled it together in less than 2 days. Nice one.

@Doomfest: Don't worry matie, if you reads Eternal's post he says that he was running into fun with the texturing, so I'm going to be using some other tex's too.
    Ps: I'm already using the Nexus missile meshes from Convoy somewhere else in the map, so I might see if I can tie them in together, or whatever.

@Eternal: Seriously, cheers a bunch for that, it's a lovely model, & I'll be proud to use it in my level.
    Well, depending on size you could email it to me (TheBigJimmage at Gmail Dot Com), or even host it somewhere temporarily if the file is a bit large for emailing.

BTW, if you'd like I'd be happy to host the mesh file permanently on my Filefront page (where I keep my beta versions, & my downloadable maps) so that if you ever wanted to point someone towards the mesh for thier own use, it's there.

Ps: Just a quickie question, what does :3 mean? Is it a Zoidberg smiley?

MSgt. Shooter Person

You've just knocked that up? That's fantastic, even more so when you realise you were working from the vaguest of breifs, have not seen the level where it sits, & pulled it together in less than 2 days. Nice one.

Seriously, cheers a bunch for that, it's a lovely model, & I'll be proud to use it in my level.
    Well, depending on size you could email it to me (TheBigJimmage at Gmail Dot Com), or even host it somewhere temporarily if the file is a bit large for emailing.

BTW, if you'd like I'd be happy to host the mesh file permanently on my Filefront page (where I keep my beta versions, & my downloadable maps) so that if you ever wanted to point someone towards the mesh for thier own use, it's there.

Ps: Just a quickie question, what does :3 mean? Is it a Zoidberg smiley?

Glad I could help. :3 If you find UV problems or anything, just tell me, an' I'll try to fix it. Included in the file I'll be sending is a pic of the UV map layout, to help with the texturing and all.

LMFAO... no, ":3" is not a zoidberg smiley; it's more of an anime-esque cat-like grin thingy I'm so used to using, but having a hard time explaining, lol. (And of course I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing because it WOULD work as a Zoidberg smiley... that's friggin' ingenious XD)

Redeemer

Ah, just checked my email, thanks Slash! *guitar solo*

I don't mean to go on but thank you one last time for that - I'm really impressed, both at the fact it's such a nice gesture to offer yer' services, but also as to how nice the model came out.

I'm definately going to use it for the map, & you can bet your bum I'm going to use it for plenty of stuff after that too. You'll also get my undying praise in the readme of course.

Ps: I'm hardly leet-skillz0r or anything, but if you need any texing done in photoshop, or say, a demo map (to show off some element you've designed) knocking up, then just let me know & I'd be happy to help.
    Cheers & have fun!

Ps: I'll drop you a pm when the first beta comes out if you'd like.

PsII: Ah, a kitty, damn it's obvious now you mention it. Zoidberg? What was I thinking? Gah, in my defence it was something crazy like 7am, approached from the wrong direction.. :haha:

MSgt. Shooter Person

Ah, just checked my email, thanks Slash! *guitar solo*

I don't mean to go on but thank you one last time for that - I'm really impressed, both at the fact it's such a nice gesture to offer yer' services, but also as to how nice the model came out.

I'm definately going to use it for the map, & you can bet your bum I'm going to use it for plenty of stuff after that too. You'll also get my undying praise in the readme of course.

Ps: I'm hardly leet-skillz0r or anything, but if you need any texing done in photoshop, or say, a demo map (to show off some element you've designed) knocking up, then just let me know & I'd be happy to help.
    Cheers & have fun!

Ps: I'll drop you a pm when the first beta comes out if you'd like.

PsII: Ah, a kitty, damn it's obvious now you mention it. Zoidberg? What was I thinking? Gah, in my defence it was something crazy like 7am, approached from the wrong direction.. :haha:
    lmao... haven't gone by slash in quite a while; yet I'm still too lazy to change my email X3

Thanks for the offer, I'lll keep it in mind; and yes, of course I'd like to see the beta of the map.

and... I appreciate the praise, I'm just... totally confused as to how to reply to it ^^;

Have anything else you want modeled? I can't do organics apparently (rocks, trees, plants, caves, etc.) but man-made crap I seem to do okay with. :3

Redeemer

Have anything else you want modeled? I can't do organics apparently (rocks, trees, plants, caves, etc.) but man-made crap I seem to do okay with. :3
    Aha, well as it happens, yeah I've got a couple of ideas than might be fun, but it might be more fair to others, and to you, to let someone else make a request first.

By all means, it would be massively appreciated, especially considering the stirling work you've already done, and if you're still at a loss as to what to build, I've outlinted a quickie idea below.

But, if somone else is more desperately in need of your services than it might seem a bit selfish of me to *hog* them as it were.

**** APC Missile Loader ****

Basically, I'm thinking of something almost identical to the APC from Aliens in shape (close enough so you recognise the military shape & reference);

- but instead of being a combat vehicle, it has a recessed loading mechanism on the top for the ICBMs (which the existing missile meshes - scaled down - can sit on), kind of like a wide, fat, heavily armoured transport truck.

(this is just an example of real-world versions. Anything you come up with doesn't have to look like this at all)

The reason I'm after a chassis very similar to the APC is because it's a classic design, and it's the perfect shape for fighting and jumping over & around, and in a vctf map I'm not trying to fill all the spaces with awkward, snaggable meshes.

I could go into much more detail, echnical drawing, etc.., but I won't right now, since it's just the basic outline & you might very well decide you'd rather build summat else for somebody else's project.

Anywhoo, just a thought if you're interested.

*EDIT* Yay! Just thought I'd add this, here's how the new missile mesh sits in the map.
    Check out the first pics I posted in the thread & compare to see how uggerly they were before.

Ok, so I still need to work on the wall textures & lighting of course, but it looks 100 times better already.
    Last edited by BigJim; 11-06-2005 at 05:33 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Aha, well as it happens, yeah I've got a couple of ideas than might be fun, but it might be more fair to others, and to you, to let someone else make a request first.

By all means, it would be massively appreciated, especially considering the stirling work you've already done, and if you're still at a loss as to what to build, I've outlinted a quickie idea below.

But, if somone else is more desperately in need of your services than it might seem a bit selfish of me to *hog* them as it were.

**** APC Missile Loader ****

Basically, I'm thinking of something almost identical to the APC from Aliens in shape (close enough so you recognise the military shape & reference);

- but instead of being a combat vehicle, it has a recessed loading mechanism on the top for the ICBMs (which the existing missile meshes - scaled down - can sit on), kind of like a wide, fat, heavily armoured transport truck.

(this is just an example of real-world versions. Anything you come up with doesn't have to look like this at all)

The reason I'm after a chassis very similar to the APC is because it's a classic design, and it's the perfect shape for fighting and jumping over & around, and in a vctf map I'm not trying to fill all the spaces with awkward, snaggable meshes.

I could go into much more detail, echnical drawing, etc.., but I won't right now, since it's just the basic outline & you might very well decide you'd rather build summat else for somebody else's project.

Anywhoo, just a thought if you're interested.

*EDIT* Yay! Just thought I'd add this, here's how the new missile mesh sits in the map.
    Check out the first pics I posted in the thread & compare to see how uggerly they were before.

Ok, so I still need to work on the wall textures & lighting of course, but it looks 100 times better already.

Haaa, lookin' good ^^

Okay, so... nobody else has responded yet to me makin' another custom mesh, so I'm gonna get started on that APC. :3

The APC will be static, yes? As in, scenery? As in, players won't actually be using it for anything aside the possibility of standing on it to get to a powerup or whatever?

Editorial sidenote.... wouldn't this be considered an AMC, and not an APC? "Armored Missile Carrier" vs "Armored Personel Carrier"? :3

Redeemer

Yup, it's a carrier, but I used the APC name just because we all know it as "the APC".
    I don't even intend it to be a missile launcher per-se, just a heavily armoured vehicle to transport them around the facility, and if needs be in the event of a facility-evacuation.

*Editorial response*
    Yeah, I fully intend it to be static, I cobbled together a crashed flatbed truck out of some of the meshes from AS-Convoy, & the Bulldog wheels, to add some detail that gives the impression that the place was abandoned in a hurry.
    The idea is that this thing will have one or two 50%-size ICBM meshes placed on it's rack, & the players will be able to run around on the flatter parts of the roof (hence also the extra appeal of the APC design), using it as a peice of scenery, albeit a big, metal, missile-bearing piece of scenery.

Would it be handy to have a blueprint of the APC design?
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v108/B...schematics.gif

It's not quite perfect, but this is the best I could put together, pinced from an Aliens fansite & run through the ole' Photoshop grinder. Hope it helps.

Ok, just going into a little bit of detail.. Please, just ask if there's anything that's not entirely clear (I know I can tend to ramble a bit [a lot ]).

The lenght of teh chassis could do with being about 768 to 1024uus (about as long as the Leviathan, and roughly as tall as the Goliath, maybe a touch higher depending on how you think it looks.
    Apart from that you'll be in a better position to judge the final x y z scales of course.
    The plans I've posted make the chassis seem a little bit narrow, my feeling is it would benefit by being a it squatter & wider than the *proper* APC.

Don't worry about making it low enough to jump onto, that can be handled by placing scenery around it if needs be, & go with your own feelings when it comes to the finer points of the design.
    The only thing I really need to ask is that you don't model the wheels, in just the same way the Bulldog.

To keep the existing visual theme, I'd rather use the same wheel meshes I've already used for the flatbed, so they've got the same wheelcaps and tyres & this would also mean I could turn the wheels into just the right position depending on exactly where it sits within the level.

Anywhoo, I know it's a big ask, but if you think it could work well then I'd be much indebted to ya.
    If you think it would help, I could draw a pretty detailed design for the rear missile rack, but I would be equally happy to see you produce the rack design you think would be the most workable, so I'll leave that decision up to you.

I know it's a pretty invloved project for something as simple as basic map decoration, so if you find half way through that's it's becoming more trouble than it's worth, I'd completely understand.

PS: I fixed those gharsterly BSP-holios I was worrying abut, yay one step nearer to beta land.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Yup, it's a carrier, but I used the APC name just because we all know it as "the APC".
    I don't even intend it to be a missile launcher per-se, just a heavily armoured vehicle to transport them around the facility, and if needs be in the event of a facility-evacuation.

*Editorial response*
    Yeah, I fully intend it to be static, I cobbled together a crashed flatbed truck out of some of the meshes from AS-Convoy, & the Bulldog wheels, to add some detail that gives the impression that the place was abandoned in a hurry.
    The idea is that this thing will have one or two 50%-size ICBM meshes placed on it's rack, & the players will be able to run around on the flatter parts of the roof (hence also the extra appeal of the APC design), using it as a peice of scenery, albeit a big, metal, missile-bearing piece of scenery.

Would it be handy to have a blueprint of the APC design?
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v108/B...schematics.gif

It's not quite perfect, but this is the best I could put together, pinced from an Aliens fansite & run through the ole' Photoshop grinder. Hope it helps.

Ok, just going into a little bit of detail.. Please, just ask if there's anything that's not entirely clear (I know I can tend to ramble a bit [a lot ]).

The lenght of teh chassis could do with being about 768 to 1024uus (about as long as the Leviathan, and roughly as tall as the Goliath, maybe a touch higher depending on how you think it looks.
    Apart from that you'll be in a better position to judge the final x y z scales of course.
    The plans I've posted make the chassis seem a little bit narrow, my feeling is it would benefit by being a it squatter & wider than the *proper* APC.

Don't worry about making it low enough to jump onto, that can be handled by placing scenery around it if needs be, & go with your own feelings when it comes to the finer points of the design.
    The only thing I really need to ask is that you don't model the wheels, in just the same way the Bulldog.

To keep the existing visual theme, I'd rather use the same wheel meshes I've already used for the flatbed, so they've got the same wheelcaps and tyres & this would also mean I could turn the wheels into just the right position depending on exactly where it sits within the level.

Anywhoo, I know it's a big ask, but if you think it could work well then I'd be much indebted to ya.
    If you think it would help, I could draw a pretty detailed design for the rear missile rack, but I would be equally happy to see you produce the rack design you think would be the most workable, so I'll leave that decision up to you.

I know it's a pretty invloved project for something as simple as basic map decoration, so if you find half way through that's it's becoming more trouble than it's worth, I'd completely understand.

PS: I fixed those gharsterly BSP-holios I was worrying abut, yay one step nearer to beta land.
    ...*slow blink*

Actually, with this ref you gave me, I could probably recreate the actual aliens APC with relative accuracy.

And for future reference, I can probably model anything you can get me an exact isometric drawing of, like the one you just sent for the APC. :3

But anyway. Yeah, I'll prolly need your designs for the rear missile rack ^^;

Redeemer

Ok, cool. I'll work on it tonight, see if I can't figure out a half-decent design for the rear.

Oops, yeah that was a bit of a long post, I always go by the idea that's it's better to give too much information than not enough, although I concede it can tend to drag on a bit if I'm not careful.. :downcast:

MSgt. Shooter Person

Ok, cool. I'll work on it tonight, see if I can't figure out a half-decent design for the rear.

Oops, yeah that was a bit of a long post, I always go by the idea that's it's better to give too much information than not enough, although I concede it can tend to drag on a bit if I'm not careful.. :downcast:
    lmao, nah, you're not ranting; I'd rather work with a large amount of details an' such, as it tends to quell any and all questions I'd get before I even start.

Skaarj

I was kinda hoping that someone has made a static mesh of the Bat Mobile from 1966 to use in a map,or the General Lee to use in UT2004.Ihave not had any such luck finding it on the internet,would you be interested in making them for me,I just don't understand this concept of creating them....Aftermass][TJL][

I was watching the Barret Jackson Auction when the bat mobile sold for more than 4 mil.
    , but no one has made the bat mobile,
    but the General Lee
    look here
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/3573179/General_Lee
    and go to
    http://www.winkyboy.com/
    and there's not a whole lot of other vehicles other than on Winkyboy's site.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WICKEDHQ PSN ID: unrealloco

well theres this one
    http://www.3dcadbrowser.com/download.aspx?3dmodel=38683 which is a 3d model
    and i remember a bat mobile in this map dunno which one
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/1535170/dm_batcave_zip

Quote Originally Posted by Aftermass View Post
    I was kinda hoping that someone has made a static mesh of the Bat Mobile from 1966 to use in a map,or the General Lee to use in UT2004.Ihave not had any such luck finding it on the internet,would you be interested in making them for me,I just don't understand this concept of creating them....Aftermass][TJL][