Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    MSgt. Shooter Person

That's some sweet stuff. reminds me of Call of Duty Modern Warefare 2

Redeemer

New version 122 uploaded, see first post for download link. I updated the MBT90 Tank:
    1. added new coaxial machine gun for the driver
    2. updated the first person view to include a turret vs. tank body indicator and a tank heading indicator (looks similar to the BF3 tank view). See pic below.
    "What do you mean it doesn't exist clientside?"
    YARM: where player's Lean, Prone, Mantle, Dash, Crouch Jump, 'Parkour' and slide around all with generic realistic weapons!
    Meowcat's Mods for UT2K4:
    Yet Another Real-life Mod: Realistic weapons, unoriginal gameplay, w/ cheap CODMW knockoff mutator
    TD Vehicles: HUMV, MI4Hound, Motorcycle, IFAV Jeep, UH-60, MH-53 & AH-6 Helicopters, Abrams Tank
    Jetpacks for UT2k4!

Redeemer

Saweet! Now, if you can add a little bit of independant suspension to prevent it from screeching when going up or down hills, this will be my absolute favourite tank!
    Béla Andràs Benedek Voicepack
    Anthony Cole Voicepack (both are Characters from the real-time strategy game "Paraworld") New mirrors thanks to Tux Android!

Extended Robot Voice

God King

Yeah, the screeching of the Goliath is pretty annoying and sadly it seems to be a phenomenom that all kinds of tanks in UT2004 seem to have (I guess because they extend it from the Goliath).
    A huge fan of the entire Unreal franchise and Bulletstorm.
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

Redeemer

About the tank, I was thinking about trying to make it based on the wheeled vehicles instead, but I don't think that will work much better (the native code seems to fight slopes pretty heavily when the bStayUpright setting is true), and I'm not sure I could get it to turn in place.

On a slightly different topic, I've begun work on a Harrier type jet plane (slightly different as it will hold two players) for the next update. I've based it on the helicopter code right now so it works fine in the hover mode, but now I've begun working on the "jet flying" portion and wanted to get some feedback on how everyone (or at least those that follow this thread) would prefer to see the fighter jet controls work.

I can attempt to make it fly like the fighters in AS-Mothership, or more like the Arwings from StarFox64. Do you all have any preferences?
    Last edited by meowcat; 11-06-2011 at 11:32 PM.
    YARM: where player's Lean, Prone, Mantle, Dash, Crouch Jump, 'Parkour' and slide around all with generic realistic weapons!
    Yet Another Real-life Mod: Realistic weapons, unoriginal gameplay, w/ cheap CODMW knockoff mutator
    TD Vehicles: HUMV, MI4Hound, Motorcycle, IFAV Jeep, UH-60, MH-53 & AH-6 Helicopters, Abrams Tank
    Jetpacks for UT2k4!

Redeemer

Perhaps you can look at the code of the CnC vehicles by Vaporlynx, he made the tanks to have independant suspension and they work great!
    The Thor Tank from Ballistic weapons has that too, and it is really good at climbing hills, even steep ones are no problem for this beast! ^^

I don't know Arwings, so I can't judge this. But I liked the way the fighters in the latest AirPower mod were controlled... :P
    Anthony Cole Voicepack (both are Characters from the real-time strategy game "Paraworld") New mirrors thanks to Tux Android!

Extended Robot Voice

God King

I would say a fying style a'la Starfox 64 Arwings sounds like it could fit best for a jet, but you shouldn't forget to make the famous barrel roll function/key, otherwise it might be too hard to dodge attacks if you cannot make rolls like in UT spacefighters!
    A huge fan of the entire Unreal franchise and Bulletstorm.
    UT2004 tips thread; UT3 tips thread; remastered UC weapon textures (UCBP for UT2004, still WIP), CTF-FacingWorlds99 (UT2004; final in the making); AS-Overlord (UT2004, Beta4); DM-Crane (UT2004, Beta1 - currently unavailable); CTF-BattleOnSlysBlockForts (UT2004, Final, made on request); DM-Morbias (UT2004, new link tba);

S l y .

Redeemer

Any updates/progress on this?

Extended Robot Voice

Redeemer

For the Harrier jet I was (and still am) having a heck of a time trying to make the jet-plane physics work properly. I've tried both the karma physics and transitioning to the Skaarj Fighter jet style movement and neither "feel right" (never mind that most ONS maps are way too small to use it in).

For the tank, I tried changing the variables to prevent the screeching but then it does not drive as nicely on the flat stuff (or the collision is not as accurate if I move the box up).

So for now no current updates. I may end up releasing one more update with the CH47 helicopter completed (right now it is not fully modeled/textured but is in the mod) and the Harrier jet as only a hover type vehicle. Also been kicking around the idea of making the Halo-Reach dual rotor helicopter vehicle thingy, or maybe completing my V22 Osprey, but I'm not sure when I'll get around to it.

I'd like to have the vehicles play a part in an SP/Coop YARM game mode, but I some how suspect I won't have the time to really complete that... (though I have been working on some super simple enemy AI, and trying to make a "SP/Coop Balanced" subset of weapons in YARM for the next release).
    Jetpacks for UT2k4!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hey Meowcat, have you tried looking at the NeoCondor from XS vehicles? It has both the traits of a CTOL craft and a VTOL, I think you should take a look at the coding done for that vehicle. No sure if you need to ask permission from those guys though.

As for the Tank you can try making it a "wheeled vehicle" in as it was implemented in VPL's CnC vehicles(the tanks).
    Though it can't turn like a tank since its coded like a "wheeled vehicle".

OR you can try looking at the code of the Thor Tank From RuneStorm. Both of these types seem to eliminate the screeching problem.

But Again, I have no idea if you need permission from those guys.
    Last edited by CMGuy; 01-21-2012 at 11:38 PM.

Boomshot

I just waned to say "beta 122!" That's the best ever!!!!
    -Smart bombs, position guided armaments; a more sophisticated way to end up dead
    -On this day, I decide to anoint my fists; engaging them in the mode of power and war
    wut?

Redeemer

Hey CMGuy, I said the same about the tanks a couple of posts above you lol.

Extended Robot Voice

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Baryonyx View Post
    Hey CMGuy, I said the same about the tanks a couple of posts above you lol.
    Must have missed that one...

But yeah, the tank could use a change, either what Baryonyx suggested a while back or the method I suggested.

Redeemer

One other thing about your vehicles: Could you vary the sounds a bit more? The one you chose for the coaxial machinegun of the MBT is good but the passenger machinegun still has the "melon seed-spitter", which gets annoying after some time. Similar thing with the engine sounds of the Hummer and IFAV.

Also, since the Chinook is a transporter, could you add some more passenger seats that fill the back of the vehicle and that give maybe the last two ones near the door some lower level machinegun to simulate the weapons of the soldiers? Because due to the heli seemingly having not much mass right now (similar to raptor) it tilts around if shot by heavy fire which kills all passengers if friendly fire is allowed. If the passengers have "seats", that would not happen. And if possible, you could add a "throw-out-passengers" feature like the Dropship from Airpower has?
    Last edited by Baryonyx; 01-28-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Extended Robot Voice

MSgt. Shooter Person

On top of that, I wish bots could tag along as passengers. I can't get them into filling those seats when I tried YARMTD
    ClassicOuch needs more old female and gib sounds.

Redeemer

Yes, I was able to only get in one more passenger into the land based vehicles such as Hummer and IFAV.

Extended Robot Voice

MSgt. Shooter Person

It'd be epic if i chinooked my way across islandhop to ride of the valkyries with BW as well and start chuting out of there guns a blazing.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Well that shouldn't be hard to do. Get that Chute Mutator and you should be good to go!

Redeemer

Hey everybody, thanks for the feedback!
    1. I'll see about adding an option for the bots to use the passenger seats (a little tricky in that I also need to prevent them from "trying to defend" from those seats too).
    2. I'll add a few passenger positions to the Ch46 helicopter and maybe a ramp gunner or two. I'd like to say I will update the model/skin too, but no promises. I can also tone-down how much the momentum is thrown off by getting hit (will probably add as a configurable option).
    3. I'll see if I can find/modify a new MG sound, I don't have any other engine sounds to choose from just at the moment so they'll have to stay for now.

I took a look at the tanks you guys suggested (Thor Tank and the CnC Tanks). The Thor Tank appears to be based on the TankCraft class, but with a second smaller front collision box which helps lessen the front screeching effects (it may also have bKStayUpright set to false..). The CnC vehicles are indeed based on ONSWheeledCraft. I'll experiment with the TD Vehicles tank code a bit and see how it goes...
    Last edited by meowcat; 01-28-2012 at 03:50 PM.
    Jetpacks for UT2k4!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Well, good luck to ya then!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HerrGeneral913

Have you thought about doing custom particle effects? I can help if you want.

Redeemer

@ Everyone:
    1. I've recoded the passenger positions to accommodate bots (so long as their current orders are not set to defend the flag etc.). I can now order them to "cover me" and they will load up into which ever vehicle the human player happens to be in. Its pretty fun to assault the flagbase in VCTF-DK-Torlan or VCTF-Dinora with 4 bots, all jumping out of the hummer at the same time.

2. I've adjusted the collision blocks for the tank to prevent it from screeching as much when it begins going up a slope (reduced the main block in length and put a smaller one in front). I will not be converting this to a wheeled vehicle at this time because I still like to be able to turn the tank in place (which can't be done as a wheeled vehicle).

3. I've added 4 passenger positions to the Blackhawk Helicopter (the four seats in the back), for a total load of up to 7 players. I will do much the same for the CH46 copter once I actually get around to reskinning it. The Blackhawk is quite the assault chopper now...

I don't know when I'll be ready to release the next revision, but it may be next weekend if I don't end up reskinning/modeling the CH46.

@Herr General: Do you have any recommendations in particular for stuff that should be spruced up? I'm game for any suggestions (though I like to make sure the effects scale well so that the vehicles can be played on older machines such as my computer )
    Jetpacks for UT2k4!

Redeemer

1. Sounds top.
    2. Will it get independant suspension? The Thor is based on the original tank but still has it.
    3. Sounds top too. I actually find the rocket barrage pretty annoying, but that might be personal impression and influenced by the fact that I am a notorious tank driver.

Also, I noticed the CH46 has a very large version of the hound as demolished model...

Extended Robot Voice

Redeemer

Hi Baryonyx,
    To add the independent tank suspension I will have to rerig and tweak the Tank model. If this were a wheeled vehicle that would be a "pain-in-the-you-know-what" because Milkshape3D does not have a good option to reorient the joints to the world alignment and the joint orientation plays into the wheel code, but since this is the hovercraft I should be able to do it with only a little model tweaking (have to add a few vertices to the tank track, and animate each wheel for rotation). No promises for the next release, but I should be able to get it in at some point.

If I finish the CH46 copter I'll add a proper destroyed mesh model.

Other notes: I've added headlights to the MBT 90 tank now, and the Blackhawk also has a team colored beacon/corona on the top of it behind the main rotor to indicate team affiliation.
    Jetpacks for UT2k4!

Redeemer

Headlights! omg... if that Tank ever gets done I will use it EVERY time I play Onslaught. Sooo awesome!

Extended Robot Voice

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by meowcat View Post
    @Herr General: Do you have any recommendations in particular for stuff that should be spruced up? I'm game for any suggestions (though I like to make sure the effects scale well so that the vehicles can be played on older machines such as my computer )
    Well, all the machine guns could use a bit more "fire" if you know what I mean, the rockets from the Blackhawk could explode much larger, and I dislike the reuse of the original tank shell explosion. I tend to be a bit of an FX nerd person, so I may go a bit overboard on suggestions. New sounds would also be neat for weapon firing.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

As well, I have far too many other suggestions, either dealing with new vehicles or adding functionality to the current ones. If you're interested I can type it up.

Redeemer

Hi Herr General,
    My disclaimer as always is "I can't promise to implement anything", but that being said I am very much interested what other suggestions you have for the vehicles!

I'm really looking to add polish to the vehicles and make them stand out a bit more as compared to other vehicle sets. My only real limitation is time to implement things (coding, trying to make new sounds, skinning/modeling/animating etc), which is why I usually end up picking and choosing. Also, since I made these vehicles mainly to play with my YARM mod, I want to keep things from being too "over the top" and still sort of fit the semi-realism/near future theme.
    Jetpacks for UT2k4!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

You asked for it. I tend to be a bit over the top in my suggestions though.

Probably one of the biggest things I'd like to see is multiple weapons/ammo types. For example, in the Abrams, keep right-click as the zoom, and have a button or function set to switch between the main cannon and the coaxial MG. If you wanted to go a bit more in depth, add an APFSDS round option- the standard shell does less damage against tanks, but more against other targets, while the APFSDS is designed specifically for killing tanks and not much else.

Other variants of certain vehicles would be rather neat. For example, the HMMVW could be armed with either the standard MG, a TOW, or if you feel like doing some extra modeling, add the M1097 Avenger as one of the options. This would probably be best as just being randomly chosen through code.

The ECE vehicles aren't replaced at all, as far as I can tell. Why not add counterparts? For the Paladin, I'd suggest some sort of APC (the Bradley or Stryker comes to mind). The Bradley would have just an autocannon and a TOW, and zooming capability if you want. The Stryker is more...Paladin-ish because of the 8-wheel design, but it's not exactly heavily armed unless you outfit it with a Mk19 (or the Stryker MGS variant). For the SPMA, why not go with the M109 Paladin? You could implement multiple ammo types- cluster shells, standard HE, white phosphorus (incendiary/smoke), the Excalibur air-burst shell, or maybe even a land mine cluster shell. For the Cicada, I'd suggest moving the Raven with it's status as a medium assault/transport helicopter to the Cicada slot, and go with some sort of attack chopper for the Raptor- on the light side you can go with the AH-6 with dual miniguns, or if you're feeling particularly ambitious go with the AH-1Z or the AH-64D (Hydra rockets and Hellfires).

Another neat functionality to add would be countermeasures. The aircraft could get infrared flares, and land vehicles such as the Abrams get smoke launchers.

Like I said before, I think one of the things that would make this mod really stand out is not only function, but stuff such as particle effects- I'm quite happy to help with the latter, if you wish.

Redeemer

@ Herr General: Thank you very much for the recommendations. Great Minds think alike right? I'd been kicking around the idea of multiple ammo types, (and actually vision types too) for the Abrams tank too (using jump or something to swap between the MG, Cannon and maybe some other features, and crouch to swap between views) and having a lighter air vehicle for the Raptor (the Little-Bird (or armed variant)). I really like the ammo/gun type idea, I'll try to implement that sooner rather than later for the Abrams. The AH-6, as it requires a model and skin, may not make it into the next release, but I do like the idea and will try to get to it at some point.

I've already changed the mutator code to allow optional swapout of the bonus pack vehicles too (you will be able to select whichever TD Vehicle class to swap with any base or bonus pack UT2k4 vehicle).

While I don't feel up to creating the Stryker or other APC, I am entertaining the idea of multiple HMMWV types with the weapons platforms you suggested (TOW or M1097) as a replacement for the Paladin.

If you've got suggestions, code samples for improved particle effects, I'd love to incorporate them! (though I will have to make sure that they scale well to older machines, but that is usually pretty simple given the various detail mode settings and particle reduction factors). My only request is please stick with the Emitter class (rather than the xEmitter) if possible.

@ Everyone else: I've got the basic tank/tread independent suspension code working now (tweaked the model to work) so that feature will be in the next release (still needs some tweaks for optimization). You all were right, it does look very cool!
    Last edited by meowcat; 02-03-2012 at 01:58 AM.
    Jetpacks for UT2k4!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

I can't send some emitters to you if your PM inbox is full.

Redeemer

Status update of what will be in the next release:
    1. Per Herr General's request I've added the option to switch between shell types for the tank (HE, Sabot/Anti-vehicle, Coax Machine Gun), so the secondary fire zoom is back in. Also, included some new effects for the shells (thanks Herr General!)
    2. I've moved the flag positions for the HMMWV and IFAV to the back of the vehicle.
    3. Bots will ride along as passengers in weaponless vehicle positions now when you command them to cover you.
    4. Mutator code has been updated to allow you to swap out whichever default & ECE vehicle you want with any of the TD ones (or leave the default vehicle, or remove altogether).

I've begun work on an AH-6 Littlebird helicopter, not sure when it will be included yet. It will come in two flavors: Attack, and personnel transport (like the manta).

If you have any other recommendations please make them soon if you them to be considered!
    Jetpacks for UT2k4!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

What about an artillery, such as the M109 to replace the SPMA? If you can implement multiple ammo types for that, even better. Cluster shells, standard HE, smokescreen/incendiary (white phosphorous).

EDIT: oh wait, I already suggested that. Sorry.

Redeemer

New updated version, see first post for link.
    1. New independent suspension tank along with switchable round types (HE, SABOT, and coax MG)
    2. Bots will ride in vehicle passenger seats now (IFAV, HMMWV, Raven copter)
    3. Mutator options improved
    4. Bots stop firing the Machine Guns when their enemy is out of sight (this was a bug in most UT2k4 code actually)
    5. More dedicated passenger seats added to the Raven Helicopter (now holds up to 7 players)
    6. New flag positions for IFAV and HMMWV
    7. Exit positions adjusted for most of the vehicles
    8. Headlight texture and coronas added to the tank

The link in the first post should work but it may take gamefront a while to actually make the file available. Have fun and leave feedback!
    Last edited by meowcat; 02-12-2012 at 11:16 AM. Reason: more notes added
    Jetpacks for UT2k4!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quick pic of the independent suspension. I really like the changes to everything- keep it up!
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Redeemer

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

This pack and especially it's tank are just awesome. Incredibly awesome. This is a plain must-have for all fans of vehicular combat. I will replace the Goliath with the MBT in EVERY game from now on, it's just so kewl!
    Purrfect job you did there, meowcat. I wonder if it can get any better than this. Seems almost impossible to me!

Extended Robot Voice

MSgt. Shooter Person

IFAV has two bugs.
    The following bot doesn't seem to shoot the mounted gun. HMMV works fine.
    The passenger seat's seems wrong - the face is behind the upper seat!

Hi, I really like these vehicles specialy the HMMWV (Humvee) but I have one small question of it. Did you coded the "hopping/shaking" in idle state? Because comparing to older version (before/around 2010 where isn't Raven/UH-60 Black Hawk but Humvee have doors), in the latest two releases: when I'm in the car as driver and don't move, it's "hopping" and sometimes after exiting vehicle, it's still "hopping", and the mentioned old release at the same situation it stand still. Also, the CL5 shows me three MBT90. Is there a difference between them?

And, some my ideas for this:
    1. Humvee with minigun and MK19GL instead of the (probably) M2
    2. Doorless version of the Humvee, same as above but with passenger ability to shoot (also change) with their weapons (like in the Halo series)
    3. Give miniguns as primary and rockets as secondary weapons to Raven (instead of guided? missile and hellfire)

BTW, it's a great mod.

Redeemer

I have found a tank driving sound and a turret rotation sound, and they don't seem to be from a game, so you could use them I guess.
    Mediafire link
    They are already converted to a loop.

Extended Robot Voice

Redeemer

Hi All,
    @ Baryonyx: Thank you for the compliments, I'm glad you like the tank. I'll try our the tank sounds in the next release.

@ arbee: hmm, not really sure what to say as the code for both the top mounted M2 on the HMMWV and IFAV turret are basically identical (the range might be different though, I'll check it out). I'll also check the passenger seat location, as you can tell the default UT2k4 player animations are not really set up for any other vehicles where the legs would be straight down...

@ 1337 crew: I noticed the "jiggly" HMMWV too, I don't remember seeing that before (or making any real changes for a very very long time to the HMMWV code). It seems to be more pronounced when my FPS are really low. Of the three MBT listed, you will probably want the one that has "_tracked" in its name as that is the one with the independent suspension. I might add different versions of the HMMWV with different turret weapons (minigun and MK19) but no promises just yet. I won't be changing the Raven any more (at least I don't plan to), but I will be adding an AH6 little bird with miniguns and rockets. Passenger firing their own weapons will pretty much not work without very, very ugly code hacks (which I had in a version of the hummer from back in 2004). If this were a standalone total conversion mod, then absolutely yes I would include the feature to fire your own weapons, but since I'm trying to maintain compatibility with other mods/mutators etc. I don't think I will be including this.

I'm also kicking around replacing the CH46 test copter with a CH53 to act as a Leviathan replacement. It will have at least three passenger gunners (maybe two more to use 20mm cannons mounted above the fuel pods, and a co-pilot with a 30mm nose mounted cannon) and be able to carry at least 12-14 players.

Changes for the next release:
    1. Team skins for the Raven Helicopter
    2. Fixed network bug for the tank (properly showing the weapon selected)
    3. *probably* will include the AH-6 Littlebird light attack copter
    4. Different targeting cross-hairs for the MBT Turret (slightly different to make it easier to differentiate from driving the tank)
    Last edited by meowcat; 02-25-2012 at 04:14 PM.
    Jetpacks for UT2k4!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast