Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Default Mod Noob

Hey,this is my first time on the forums, so go easy! :P

Basically I've been looking around for ages and the general feeling seems to be get a good portfolio, cos it's gunna be more impressive than "Look at my fancy pants degree."

But getting down to the bedrock of my post, which is the best medium to mod on? I've been looking at UT2007 and Gears PC, but I just wanted some feedback from you guys? You all seem to know you're stuff :P

MSgt. Shooter Person

Honestly it may be best to do a bit of both. But if you were to just pick on a Gears of War level would probably be a bit more impressive as most companies are looking for people who know how to make single player maps over multiplayer arena maps. Thats only if you want to be a level designer though :P If you want more people to play your mods I'd suggest modding for UT3, especially since the make something unreal contest is going on right now and if your any good you could win some money while your at it
    www.evilmrfrank.com
    -----------------------

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: drkninja1005

Uhm I am doing a project on game design in my computer application II class, and I would like to know how well do game designers get paid? and do you get a comission on the game production?
    "Life isn't hard' it's the decisions in life that you, yourself, make hard."
    p.s. Xbox 360 now, forever, and always!

MSgt. Shooter Person

It really depends on what company you work for, how long you've been in the gaming industry, and what it is exactly you do in the gaming industry. Starting out I was making less than $30,000 a year as a Level Designer. After a year and moving to a new company I'm making nearly $40,000 but this area is also a lot more expensive so thats a big part as to why I get paid more here. At Gearbox Software the Artists got paid more than the Level Designers, and the Programmers got paid more than the Artists, at least from what I've heard.

I don't know how good these statistics on this site are or where they get their statistics but it may be worth looking into - http://www.gamecareerguide.com/featu...vey.php?page=1

Also if you looking to make a lot of money the gaming industry may not be the place for you. If you want to do something you love and that just happens to be making games than it's definitely the place for you Of course there are the rare exceptions such as Cliffy B or other big name guys who have gotten rich off gaming industry and many companies do offer bonuses if the game sells well
    www.evilmrfrank.com
    -----------------------

Hello,
    I had *three* questions.

1. I've been told by several professors and advisors that it is not a good idea to put schools that I did not receive a degree from on my resume. I transferred to my new school with only 4 class needed for a degree from my old school (They were a math/science/eng course and a business course, so not exactly part of the major) in web and interactive design. I'm currently at IUPUI in Indianapolis working toward a degree in Media arts and sciences with a focus in Digital Storytelling. I was wondering if it would be counter productive to put my web and interactive design experience in my resume when applying to a game developer or if it would be a good thing so that they might see that I could work for them in that area until something opened up in Level Design or something. (sorry for the tldr)

2. I'm going through a crash course of the UT3 editor this semester in class and in the few months since I opened the program for the first time I feel I've made very good progress and I'm nearing completion of a level that I'll be proud of. I was wondering if it would be better in the long run to make several extremely detailed and well designed levels in the Ut3 editor, or if I should make a few levels (of the same high quality) in several different editors. (Hammer, uted, Q3 radiant, etc)

*edit*
    (sorry thought of another question)
    3. I've always been very good at picking up programs and new languages and becoming proficient in them very quickly, should I go ahead and learn at least enough C++ to be able to code some mid level stuff? Is there a reason for a level designer to have coding experience in C++? I know that "the more the merrier" applies to skills as far as incoming applicants, but I was just wondering if I should go ahead and learn a lot of C++ or if having just a basic understanding of the language where I could quickly pick up anything they need me to would be just as good for a level designer applicant.

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by zenchou; 03-04-2009 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Thought of another question.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Sh0ttyb0mbN

bump.......

Hello. I was just wondering if anybody can help me. I really would like a job game testing I have been researching this now for a few months but all I seem to find are scam web sites trying to make a quick buck. I guess I have a few questions.

1. Do game testing jobs really exist?

2. If testing jobs do exist how do I become a part of it? What is a good way to get my foot in the door?

Thank you for any advice you can share.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: YaMaInAThong

You need to research your area or county or city then find out what companies are there. It takes time and a hell of alot of effort and question asking. I had no idea I had so many local game companies until I went to the local job center. If you want to get into testing and cant dig anything up it might be worth search the universities or colleges for courses, ringing them up and asking to speak with who's in charge they should be happy to help.
    Current Project: absORb "Play with your balls!"

Skaarj

Default Question

I am a 16 year old programmer who has takin some C++ and Java aswell as some lower languages such as Alice, QBasic,and Pascal. I will be taking programming through all of my highschool carreer and plan on getting a master in Computer Programming aswell as some graphics design. My dream is to work with one of the big gaming companies like "Epic Games". I was wondering if there was any internships or any programs for someone like me, i live in Salem OR. so if Epic knows any companies or if they happen to have anything for me please pm me.
    Thank you
    Last edited by underOATH187; 05-21-2009 at 08:40 PM.

Banned

It's my dream to work at Epic Games I hope I get a job their one day.

Administrator

Here's a great article by Russ McMackin, one of our very own mod authors:

"How to Pick Indie Game Collaborators: 11 Things to Watch Out For"

http://www.gamecareerguide.com/featu...me_.php?page=1

MSgt. Shooter Person

Good read
    www.evilmrfrank.com
    -----------------------

Skaarj

Quote Originally Posted by Blu View Post
    Well somthing that I've kinda been wondering, is there really no place for writers in the gaming industry. I go to school for programming but my passions and my real skill is writing.

9pardon the spelling and short post I hurt my fingers playing baseball)
    Oh man, it's tough I would say unless you want to hop around a lot. Okay so I don't really know this but it makes sense. Go write screenplays. If you really have talent, it shows through relatively quick (You will have sold something within like 5 years if you write for a solid 5 or 6 hours a day) if not, well there are other things. What would be just as good as scripting out the story elements, dialogue and characters for Gears of War the game? Scripting the movie!

Skaarj

(I haven't read through all 22 pages, so sorry if this has been brought up)

What would one do if you wanted to be a Game Designer. I know that programers and artists have literal courses they can take even in high school. But what about designers? What kind of educational experience would they need? Also, what kind of portfolio should they have?

I only ask because, obviously, I want to be a game designer. I can't draw, and I'm bad at programming, but I enjoy taking games apart to find the fun and building my own (I write them out in notebooks). But I don't think/know how many positions there would be for such a job in the industry.
    Help?

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. . . I am a developer of .net and design accounting and finance related software. But how can I be the part of game development industry by restricting myself to .Net . . .?

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RegardedChase

what about legit artists? i can draw paint anything but im not a programmer but i can create stuff with excrutiating detail and give it to u all and have u digitally create it is there a place for people like that in the industry like concept artists or something?
    SoulForged Gear"Death Before Dishonor."

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hyncharas

This is going to sound like a rant, but the fact is a lot of pros (CliffyB included) have also shared these concerns for many years. There are three unfortunate problems with the games industry.

1) Skill alone won't get you anywhere
    The first is qualifications don't do anything for you in many ways. It's not really the developers making the games who are asking, but the the publishing-side of companies unprepared to let anyone work for them who hasn't been proven under laboratory conditions to achieve a development cycle... I've worked in mods for 10 years, but I still needed a degree to even get an interview with a studio.

2) Development teams don't have a say on their own projects
    The second is that the vast majority of studios are so bloody moody about it whenever they are interviewing people. Their bosses need applicants with experience, except their accountants are saying they must let people go in six months time. Games are the most overmanaged and underappreciated industry in the entertainment business. If the governments bothered to subsidise gaming like they do movies, we wouldn't get nearly as much hassle.

3) Keep building stuff (and an updated reel every year) even if you don't have a job yet
    The third is the real reason for unemployment. It sounds rediculous but the fact is, no matter how much you have done so far, studios don't employ people unless you're working on something all the f***ing time! Even if it's a project of your own instead of a mod, they're not interested. If you lack the skills to make a reel and are not an artist, they still won't even talk to you because this "Jack Of All Trades" mentality - the complete opposite of what recruiters ask for - is effectively all they care about.

Artists and designers must build more content, from models to levels regardless if you publish them (but publishing helps gain community support). Programmers should also come up with new, wacky ideas and prototype them in an SDK so that when you do get the call, you can demonstrate it using a character in the engine...

When I graduated last year I thought I had it made, but the truth is the games industry is a vicious circle. I'm still without a position and know a friend who tried for 2 years after his Masters Degree before someone wanted to employ him. Jobs aren't awarded for free and most companies are childish when it comes to taking on new people, especially with the Recession pulling them in all directions.

The best advice is to never give up and never stop doing any of your strengths while you are unemployed.
    Last edited by Hyncharas; 01-17-2010 at 06:27 AM.
    "No single army can conquer the galaxy... but Faith alone can overturn the universe" -- Imperial Ecclesiarch Decias IX
    ==================================================
    Community Projects:= SG-VirtualSeries (Founder, Admin, PR Lead)
    Online: = Clan Dragonwolves (9yr Veteran)

Skaarj

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper TK409 View Post
    Or you could do what I did...
    http://www.TK409.com/gettingajob.html

lol, it was hillarious but it was the most creative way to deliver a portfolio..

you are awesome

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Miss Seriously

As far as an education... Money should be no option. Their are student loans and government grants that will help you pay for your education.

Going to school for a year would be worthless, at least to me. 2-4 years... Even once your out of school your still going to be learning the programs.

3Ds Max is a must, also Adobe Photoshop for texturing. Their are several plug in's and other programs that work hand in hand with Max such as a renderer.

That kind of stuff you might also miss out on without going to school.

And on the bright side! If you go to school, they have student discounts on the programs, and can even include them into your loans and grants.

Like I will be attending The Art Institute in July for my bach degree. I can have the complete Auto Desk collection for like 380.00. That saves like 4,000+ Dollars. Also I get the complete Adobe Creative Suite with a huge discount as well.

So going to school is really going to help.

Don't worry about the money, just go... Your loans you won't pay on till your out of school for 6 months. and you have 30 years to pay off.

Think about it, if your paying on that loan for 30 years, and you work your way up in a company doing what you love to do making 50,000+ a year. Those loans won't be a pain to pay.

Besides you'll be making at least half of what you had to pay in order to get where you were in the first place.

Believe me high school to me was no picnic in the park. But I love going to college. I'll be graduating with my assoc in June with a degree in Visual Communications at ITT Tech, and will continue with a bach at The Art Institute in Graphic Design, and THEN I'm going for another bach in Advertisement. Yeah I know I'm crazy... Thats over 100,000 dollars for my education, But I also know what I'm capable of doing, and that is not going to stop me.
    I don't need to shoot to kill you...

I wish there weren't so many kids trying to get into the video game industry

<Insert a Funny Truth Statement by other Forum Member Here>

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: pancakerz

i have a question, i'm not sure it's been covered yet in this thread, but what are the chances of getting into the game industry as a programmer only. because it seems like such a small job compared to creating environments and creatures and what not.
    i ask because i'm starting to learn how to code, but i am definitely no artist.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: K73SK

I sent a long email to Cliffy from his blog about a question that wasn't on his "how to" blog...I guess he doesn't respond to emails often, yeah? :[

Maybe someone here can help...

He mentioned that you don't NEED to go to college for a job with Epic, but it does help. So do you think having a degree with DeVry would increase my chances with Epic? I already know C# and am still learning it to make my skills with it really strong...I'll be doing C++ afterwards...

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Miss Loathsome

Quote Originally Posted by joeGraf View Post
    If you plan on being a programmer, don't go to one of those game schools. Go to a traditional university and get a CS education. We've yet to have a candidate from one of the non-traditional universities pass our programming test. Also, the average career in the games industry only lasts 5 years, so it's important to have a good education to fall back on.
    So, if I were to work for a game company like Epic, I would only be able to work there for an average of 5 years?

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by PriestessBurlesque View Post
    So, if I were to work for a game company like Epic, I would only be able to work there for an average of 5 years?
    Didn't see that post...I don't think that includes if we have experience in making video games already and plus have a degree - at least I hope not. :\

i have a lot to give to the gaming industry i just dont know what i could be best in. i have been playing video games before i could walk and i still dont know if i should work for a company like you guys (it would be easy for me to get a job with you guys because i dont live far from your head quarters in NC become a tester)
    this maybe an out of order paragraph

I just watched a great political cartoon and it reminded me of this thread. Enjoy.

So You Want to Work in the Video Game Industry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGar7KC6Wiw
    Last edited by Sourpuss; 03-27-2011 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourpuss View Post
    I just watched a great political cartoon from the and it reminded me of this thread. Enjoy.

So You Want to Work in the Video Game Industry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGar7KC6Wiw
    haha nice one..

now to another subject, i live a little far from the places where there are any videogame schools, even with that im try to self learn all i can.
    havent decided if to go for art or programing,although ive had better results with art since all ive learned from programing i cant figure out how to apply it to games all ive donde is financial software,a lil bit of Data bases and that kind of things;so i guess il go for art desing until i can improve my programing skills.

any way after all that talk my real question.... is it to hard to start working or atleast to get recogniced by a company being far from the head quarters, since in my contry there are no "game schools" and the industry is limited to some educational flash games, that well are underpaid and not stable places to work;id like to get in a serious game company but im limited by the visa hahaha.... so any tips or hope for ppl like me?

p.s: im sorry for my bad spelling, english is not my first languege... i hope i could make my self clear above XD

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Might I suggest, for beginners, the books from Jeannie Novak. After that, jump onto something more like 3D Buzz or for the programmers (myself) Accelerated C++ by Andrew Koenig. 3D Buzz is a great source for information considering they teach all kinds of languages and tools to use. If you want to be a 3d Modeler and have the talent of an artist, learn how to use Maya, Houdini, or 3DSMax from 3D Buzz.

I'm going to try and get as much C++ knowledge I can handle, along with as much UDK I can handle. Then I'm going to try and make a video game with it through careful planning, and hope to impress Epic Games enough to lemme in...:3

Question Some questions

Hello everyone finally I found a forum where can i get some useful information.

Well I'm seventeen years old, I'm from Italy and make a videogame is the dream of my life I would like to join a video game company as game designer, leave my country is not a problem. I dont know how to program but i basically know what a programmer has to do when he is programming, I make a simple building in 3dsmax but its hard to use, i make a simple forest map with the crysis editor(cryengine2 sandbox2) but it doesnt work with the game for some little mistake I made(unforutnatly i lost the data of the map), I tried to make another map with a new verson of the editor but it crashes often because my computer is a little bit old (from 2007) i also downloaded unreal development kit but I'm not able to make and import new object and making new texture so i can just use what is inside it. Now I have begun to put some of my ideas and also some project for some videogames on paper. I have to increase my drawing skill because i cant draw human or a human head or umanode and i have some prospective problem. I also have to learn more english because i have some problem I dont know a lot of words and some language rules (mabye you can find some error on this reply, I'm sorry ) and for the work I'm looking it is necessary.

I hope you can use this information to give me some useful tips. At the moment i have no money to joining some school. What i can put in my portfolio if i would like to be a game designer?
    Last edited by MR:BOBBO; 05-24-2011 at 05:35 AM.

Any tips for a job posted on your website? My status has said Under Review for a month. Is this a common timeframe? Any way to make me stand out without being annoying? I'm not applying for a developer job so I can't promote a portfolio or anything. I don't want to call and come across as over-bearing.

I found this thread pretty interesting, but after my own experience so far, I am left wondering "is it really this hard to even get in the door?". Let me explain. I've been doing 3D work professionally since Jan 2006 (right out of school). I was making game character in my spare time because working in the game industry was also a dream of mine (I was/am still freelance in the auto industry). I decided become a freelance 3D artist so I could focus more on getting my portfolio together and getting into the game industry. I feel like a have a strong background (multiple degrees, lots of experience with Maya and Zbrush, Photoshop, XNormal, Crazybump, etc, and have some great character modeling skills. I even taught Maya and Digital Illustration at a college. I'm self taught at UDK and Unity too.) The thing is, I've been trying like crazy to even get in the door, I can make whatever art assets, but feel like I'm yelling into the darkness. It is slightly soul crushing. If it is this hard for me, who does get a job?

you can check me out here:
    http://www.richardzryd.com/

MSgt. Shooter Person

I`m actually wondering, how do i get a job like that of Cliff--- asin, Lead Designer. I`m under the impression that i have ideas that are "better" than the games currently on the market. The things i like coming up with are basically the game mechanics- environment and characters, but by no means actually building those things, only the game mechanics are something i would like to twink with, or perhaps even build it- never done such a thing, but i guess i`d like it.

Where would you start if you had this in mind?

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Tesco Jeans

This is a good thread. I did not even know it existed. I may actually check back here to see if Epic post anything substantial.

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Itz A PILLOWPET

nice tips in this thread.
    i will be starting classes soon and i will be working my way up there.
    hopefully i can help make games that you will enjoy epic
    Retro Samurai
    Chicks dig the Baird
    My Ocean skin idea thread
    The Beast Mode Thread
    Itz A PILLOWPET

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper TK409 View Post
    If you can make it, it doesn't matter what program you used. Here, we use everything. When I applied they were looking for a motion graphics designer. I presented my portfolio which has a lot of motion design and regular static design. I don't have a degree, but I went to school and learned all I could about design, and produced some decent stuff. I worked for 8 years doing graphic design, before I got the job here. Some guys get the job right out of school - but they're amazing artists.

If you don't have game industry experience, getting involved with learning how to mod games is helpful - modeling, texturing, etc. Look at what Lupus is doing. Unreal Tournament 2004 shipped with the Unreal Editor, so if you learn how to use that tool, you would be using the same tool we use. A big plus! But like I said, knowing tools is only part of what builds your portfolio. You need to read, play games, watch movies, have some creative sense - think about what game YOU would produce, the story, the characters, the vehicles, the setting, the mood, the color, the music, the point of view of the player, the feel and look of the weapons, the physics of the players, the makeup of the environment, how you want the player to feel, to act, or the ultimate point of the game.

Think about those things, not just "what tool am I going to use?" Have thoughts. Be creative. You can learn the tools along the way.

That is a good point. I am currently in college myself for Game Design, and this term one of the things we are doing is just focusing on making something fun. We are using the Little Big Planet 2 editor for this since it is very easy to publish and have other users playtest content. We mostly work with 3DS Max, UT3 and UDK. I been messing around with Cry3 as well and just started today working with scaleform for UDK.

I think the number one thing is yes you need to have good work to show but you also need to be able to sell yourself just like with any job. Web hosting is cheep, getting a site for your work is not all that hard. Even the site itself can say something about your design skills. Having a good Linked-In page is also nice, that is how I got to do some work at THQ on there game Haunted Hells Reach about 6 months ago.

I understand this can be hard but getting to GDC is really worth it. Cost me quite a bit since I am up in MN but its always been worth it. Get your face out there, bring your work down. Never know who might be interested in seeing it. I know on the Friday of GDC they do have a thing there that talks about getting a job in the industry.

The HUGE mistake I see people do is they think they can be hired just as an 'Ideas' person, which is not the case. That and you might get offered a job doing something you at first don't want to do like QA. Its better to take a job like that because once you have your foot in the door and get to know others in the studio then you can make a push to move up to the design team. Granted that all depends on the studio.

Skaarj

Default Question about demo reels

I just started school for Game Art Design, I live in Fayetteville NC and i really love the work that Epic Games create and produce. I really would like to know what the people at Epic looks for when they look at a demo reel. Do they what to see things that are similar to the games they produce or do they want to see things that are nothing like what they create? I really would like to spend my time in school trying to build a portfolio that is geared towards apply to Epic Games when I am done with school. Thanks to everyone that can help.

It is very hard to start a gaming website seo is extremely hard (especially when admins are selffish and do not allow you to post links saying its spam after you post a usefull post and just ref to your website!)

If you strategy on being a designer, don't go to one of those activity schools. Go to a conventional university and get a CS information. We've yet to have an candidate from one of the non-traditional organizations finish our growth check. Also, the regular career in the activities market only carries on 5 decades, so it's essential to have information to select from.
    Last edited by curisjerik; 12-11-2012 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosKnight View Post
    Dear Epic games,

I'm writing this to help me and everyone who wants to get into the game industry and wishes to know or hear stories on how the guys at epic got their jobs and how they would recommend starting preparing for the industry and what they should do and donít do.

Please Epic; enlighten us with your stories. (People please ask questions here too... i hope Epic responds and helps us out)

Here are some of my questions i would like to ask,
    I love games; I want to be a game designer. I enjoy writing long stories, drawing free hand (mostly faces and bodies) and even photoshoping images and Iím slowly learning how to 3D model (Maya is a bit more friendlier to me... 3D max feels a bit complicated hehe).

But I want to know. How important is Video game schools? Like If there was a program I would take it would be "Game Art & Design" BUT that seems to cost the most money ($21 000 CDN for a one year diploma at Vanarts in Vancouver >.< quite a bit of money). So I want to know... what happens if I train myself with tutorials, books and DVDs (i got a big book for Maya and a couple DVD's) and i recieve the same amount of information and skills as someone would get from school (maybe even more ^_^)? How much will my chances of getting a good video game design job be compared to taking a $20 000 course? Cuz I really want to work for a video game company and the two closest that look fun are Bioware and Silicon Knights (Calgary and St Cathreens, Ontario)... of course I would love to to work for Epic... but I'm sorry, I have no plan in moving to the states yet... hehe.

Also could you recommend any good schools? Like with a decent residence plan in both USA and Canada (Iím just a graduate high school kid here! Hehe)?

Any other questions from others please post them here.

Anyone wants to get into Video Games Industry please visit the link and get more info. (http://www.velocitygamesjobs.com/)
    Velocity Games Recruitment is a USA based recruitment agency for the video games industry.

Hi. I wasn't sure where to post this inquiry and I randomly chose this topic.

I'm trying to arrange for a few (5) Raleigh area Boy Scouts to either tour Epic, or to meet with someone who works there who can tell them about working in the gaming industry. The scouts have been working on the new "Game Design" merit badge, and this is their final requirement to wrap it up. I was going to send an email to someone at Epic but there's no contact email or form on the website for that.

I can be reached directly at sthomas@well.com or 919-870-2107.

Thanx!!!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast