Skaarj

Default high or low fov?

I was just wondering if you can be an accurate player with a fov greater than 90. i personally find it harder to hit with lg and prim shock if i increase it above 90. Looking through some pro inis i can find very few, if any, with a fov greater then 90. I ask this because i often find my spamming skills are better the higher my fov, however i really dont want to move from 90. However i would be more inclined to change if other good players were able to play with a higher fov.

Redeemer

Stop trying to be like everyone else, play with what is best for you.

Banned

Default Re: high or low fov?

Originally posted by gange
    I was just wondering if you can be an accurate player with a fov greater than 90. i personally find it harder to hit with lg and prim shock if i increase it above 90. Looking through some pro inis i can find very few, if any, with a fov greater then 90. I ask this because i often find my spamming skills are better the higher my fov, however i really dont want to move from 90. However i would be more inclined to change if other good players were able to play with a higher fov.
    Lots of good players play with a high fov, and lots of good players play with a low fov. Lots of bad players play with a high fov, and lots of bad players play with a low fov.

It's all personal preference.

Iron Guard

Default Re: Re: high or low fov?

Originally posted by Virax
    It's all personal preference.
    Just experiment.

Redeemer

Uhm... I have it set to 100 now and it works well. Too bad I can't set it up to like 180.

Seriously...
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: KriLL38

100.. Used to have 110 in UT2003.. but now servers most often limits it to 100.. and I dont want to change fov all the time depending on server.
    "Your effort to remain what you are is what limits you."

Boomshot

Default Re: high or low fov?

Originally posted by gange
    Looking through some pro inis i can find very few, if any, with a fov greater then 90.
    Where does one go to look through these?

Prisoner 849

110 in all games wich allow to change fov

MSgt. Shooter Person

I used to use fov100 and would average over 30% lg which is the same with 90fov I am using now.

Veteran

Default re: high or low fov?

YES!

Boomshot

Iron Guard

Iron Guard

Originally posted by Virax
    Lots of bad players play with a high fov
    Originally posted by KriLL3.2™
    100.. blah blah blah
    :up:

I used 90 and I don't miss many lg shots. Shock primary on the other hand...I sux with that...good with combos though.

MSgt. Shooter Person

i used 115 when i was playing quake 3 and ut2003 but now i use 100

MSgt. Shooter Person

FOV 110...all games all the time. :up:

MSgt. Shooter Person

I used to use 100, I changed to 90 a month or so ago...

MSgt. Shooter Person

Most (maybe all) servers allow FOV-change during a match.
    I suggest binds for FOV:

mousewheel up (great for sniping(long distance shots):
    FOV 80
    and low mouse sensitivity

mousewheel down (close combat):
    FOV 100
    and high mouse sensitivity

I would like to become a better hitscan shooter with shock beam or sniper rifle.

I understand that a bigger FOV gives you a better overview and that it helps to track somebody who is circling around you.
    But it is a fact that a smaller FOV magnificats everything on the screen and bigger FOV makes everything smaller.

Here is what I think :
    When I choose FOV=90 instead of FOV=100, then the opponent/target is bigger on the screen with more pixels, and I do belive (but never tested it) that a bigger target on screen is easier to hit. Does somebody think different?

It's all about personal preferences and personal choice: Do I choose a better overview but pay for it with diminution OR do I choose a less good overview but get for that a magnification? Or do I go a middle way?

Thats the reason why I did NOT change FOV=90 when I changed from 17" to 24" widescreen. The bigger 24" screen gives me bigger targets and yet a wider picture. I have chosen a compromise.

I would like to ask players who are really skilled with shock beam and sniper rifle if a lower FOV helps to hit the target? And which FOV they are using.

God King

I've always left it at default simply because at high FOV the perspective becomes really distorted around the edges, and I can't stand that...

Redeemer

Another one to get the necromancer medal...

Anyways, welcome to the forums.

To topic: I have a value higher than 90, though I don't remember the exact value at the moment. I think it gives me a better overview and let's me spot movement from the corner of the eye. And I didn't notice distortion btw.
    Béla Andràs Benedek Voicepack
    Anthony Cole Voicepack (both are Characters from the real-time strategy game "Paraworld") New mirrors thanks to Tux Android!

Extended Robot Voice

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    I've always left it at default simply because at high FOV the perspective becomes really distorted around the edges, and I can't stand that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Baryonyx View Post
    Another one to get the necromancer medal...

Anyways, welcome to the forums.

To topic: I have a value higher than 90, though I don't remember the exact value at the moment. I think it gives me a better overview and let's me spot movement from the corner of the eye. And I didn't notice distortion btw.

Thanks for the medal and the warm welcome

Sure, there are distortions and better overview with higer FOV, thats simply a fact, but my question is:

Does aiming with shock beam and sniper rifle become easier with lower FOV (since everything is magnified and targets appear bigger on the screen) and harder with higher FOV (since targets become smaller).
    I would like to ask players who are really skilled with shock beam and sniper rifle if a lower FOV helps to hit the target? And which FOV they are using.

The Sacrifice

High FOV is ideal for dodge and close range combat, Low FOV better for long range and acquiring targets from distance.
    Try something like 60 - 45° but don't forget that all FOVs makes you loose something.

God King

Yea, exactly. It's like asking if sniper zoom helps to hit the target. Clearly it does, but it also makes it easier for others to ambush you from the side or from behind.

Redeemer

I'd say just test it out on your own with a few bot matches. You must find the value that you feel comfortable with, otherwise you will most likely not become a good player.
    Béla Andràs Benedek Voicepack
    Anthony Cole Voicepack (both are Characters from the real-time strategy game "Paraworld") New mirrors thanks to Tux Android!

Extended Robot Voice