MSgt. Shooter Person

[OT]Desktop icons move when changing resolution

Just wondering if anyone knows how to stop desktop icons from moving around randomly...

Well, not so much randomly... I know they move because I run some games at a lower resolution than my normal windows resolution... But I can't just run the games at higher resolution or my FPS will get killed...

So is there any way to "lock" the icons in place so they don't constantly get repositioned?
    Last edited by legacy-Rageaholic; 10-08-2004 at 02:17 AM.

Redeemer

you can right click on the desktop go to arange by, select type and then check auto arange and align to grid.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Yeah but if I auto arrange, they all go in columns on one side of the desktop... I've got some icons over on the right hand side, some on the bottom, and some on the left... I basically have similar programs grouped together... So that doesn't really work...

But thanks...

Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xBIGREDDx

LoL, I saw the subject and came to say "Virus!"
    Once my cousin had a virus where if you moved the mouse over a desktop icon then the icon moved away. It was fun while it lasted, but the virus itself was lagging the computer too much.:bulb:
    On-T, I've seen programs that keep yer icons right, although I never have that problem.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks for the reply Nirvelli... Yeah, I've heard of that virus before, but that's definitely not the problem here...

Anyways I edited the thread title for clarity...

(Edit: I :heart: Google... Found a way to solve it. )

Iron Guard

Originally posted by Nirvelli
    LoL, I saw the subject and came to say "Virus!"
    Once my cousin had a virus where if you moved the mouse over a desktop icon then the icon moved away. It was fun while it lasted, but the virus itself was lagging the computer too much.:bulb:
    On-T, I've seen programs that keep yer icons right, although I never have that problem.
    i got that virus a long time ago aswell. it made me mad.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I have the same problem with Thief III.

Back when i had a 9800Pro i had to switch down to 1024 * 768 cause Thief III was a bit to much for my beloved 9800Pro at 1280 * 1024.

My native LCD screen is 1280 * 1024 and every time i stopped playing that game, all my shortcuts were messed up. Had to rearrange everything everytime...

Was driving me nuts.

Never found a solution though, except beating the game offcourse...

But that's the only game i had it with...

MSgt. Shooter Person

there's a little old utility called SnapIt (very hard to find now) and it let you save multiple specific icon arrangements for each resolution as well as auto-snapping to a grid (unlike the old move then right-click and select 'line up icons') and if you ran it in the taskbar it would automatically load up the right icon setup when you changed resolution.. otherwise the way I used it was if my icons got messed up from games and stuff I'd just load it up, load the right icon layout, then exit it. A great little app I think I picked up on an old Win98Plus CD full of themes and other little whatsits.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GRIMMREAPER187

how do you figure out what your native screen resolution is im on a laptop so I have no idea :noob:

Iron Guard

Don’t feel bad – us Macintosh OSX users experience the same thing with icons redistributing themselves all across the workspace upon returning from playing a game at a different resolution. Luckily it’s not as bad as it was in OS9.

Little Donny Foundation

Redeemer

Clean off your desktop. The Start menu exists for a reason, and if you really need a program every two seconds, bind it to a hotkey.

You could also run your games at the same res as your desktop.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Originally posted by ThePerfectCore
    Clean off your desktop. The Start menu exists for a reason, and if you really need a program every two seconds, bind it to a hotkey.

You could also run your games at the same res as your desktop.
    Thanks for the reply... As I said at the start, running the games at the same resolution as my desktop would kill my FPS...

That hotkey thing is perhaps not a bad idea, but then I'd have about 20 hotkeys, which I'd always be mixing up anyway...

But like I said, I already found a solution for the problem.