Compatibility: UT2004
    Description:
    Comments:
    Screenshot:
    Credits:
    Homepage:
    Download: http://www.saratoga.utclans.com/

Iron Guard

Sweet looking map, DL'ing now... And before anyone *****es and moans about there being no screen shots, click the link first. He has screenies and more there.

Skaarj

Here's the readme.txt file which provides a little more info on the map.

-----------------------------
    BR-Saratoga_Arena_IV README
    by Saratoga Sam (Jeff Johnson)
    -----------------------------

--------------
    Map Statistics
    --------------
    Game Type: Bombing Run;
    Originally designed for InstaGib, normal gravity, no translocator, normal jump but plays well with regular weapons and/or quad jump.

RW Support: Yes
    Bot Pathing: Yes, extensive.
    New textures: Yes, wall posters.
    New graphics: No
    New sounds or music: Yes (crowd sounds) and Yes (arena organ music)
    Speed: On my machine, with NORMAL game-graphics-detail settings, the map runs between 60-85 FPS with 10 bots playing InstaGib.
    My computer: 2.4 GHz P4, 512Mb PC800 RDRAM, ATI Radeon9700 128Mb DDR.

-----------------------
    Construction Statistics
    -----------------------
    Editors Used: UnrealEd3
    Construction Time: Off and On from JUly 2003 - May 2004, a few hours at a time.
    Known bugs: None.

HOW TO INSTALL: Place the file BR-Saratoga_Arena_Iv.ut2 in your UT2004/Maps folder.

-----------
    Description
    -----------
    "Nestled in the heart of Silicon Valley, Saratoga Arena was once a great dining hall of the ancient Saratogan civilization. With venture capital funding, the abandoned ruins were recast into the present day arena where laid off dot-commers and high tech workers earn a decent wage as modern day gladiators. Get your tickets while you can!"

This map presents the attacker with 2 strategies - go high and to the right for 7 points or go low and left for 3 points. High and right is the more dangerous path but has the largest potential reward. This is not a boost map nor is it a base map. However, it has elements of both. It has custom crowd sounds, arena music, a scrolling leader board, moving TV cameras and wall-poster ads to simulate the arena illusion.

-----------------
    Special Thanks To
    -----------------

The mapping community at Architectonic for all their help in answering my questions.

The tutorials at Architectonic and leveldesigner.com.

The |DRD| and ]v[ clans for playtesting and map feedback.

----------------
    Other Maps by Me
    ----------------
    Saratoga Meadows

--------------
    Copyright Info
    --------------
    Please do not use this level as a base for your own level without my permission. If you need something,
    I'm a pretty reasonable guy; just contact me at saratoga_sam@johnsonweb.us. You may include this
    map in map-packs and distribute it freely, as long as this readme file is included and I am given credit.

This map may not be commercially distributed without my permission.

Saratoga Arena IV (C)2004 Jeff Johnson.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Nice map. Simple visual style that really stands out. I also like the availability of two scoring paths, the harder path for the higher score.

hope to play this online!

props.

Skaarj

ROLF. If this is the saratoga I'm thinking of (the one next to San Jose), then mad props to you my good sir.

But is this map based on any single... location? Aside from maybe a family restaraunt or two it doesn't look particularily based on... "saratogan civilization" aside from the mention in the readme.

Otherwise, a nice simple-and-short map. Kind of refreshing, really.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Any chance of converting these maps to Carball? They'd be awesome. If you really don't want to mess around with it, just give me permission and I'll convert them all. These maps would rock, especially the FIFA one.

Skaarj

Originally posted by Erebus
    Nice map. Simple visual style that really stands out. I also like the availability of two scoring paths, the harder path for the higher score.

hope to play this online!

props.
    Thank-you! Here are two public servers who are currently running Saratoga Arena:

Wicked Monkeys: 68.2.145.185.9999
    DBA: 67.19.69.4:7777

Skaarj

Originally posted by AirmoCorps
    ROLF. If this is the saratoga I'm thinking of (the one next to San Jose), then mad props to you my good sir.

But is this map based on any single... location? Aside from maybe a family restaraunt or two it doesn't look particularily based on... "saratogan civilization" aside from the mention in the readme.

Otherwise, a nice simple-and-short map. Kind of refreshing, really.
    It's really just me poking a little fun at the city of Saratoga, CA (where I live) - which as you mentioned is located right next to San Jose. Saratoga is a small, conservative, bedroom community for Silicon Valley. The thought of having a gladiator-type arena in the midst of the city struck me as funny.

The Saratogan Civilization is just something I made up -- after I finished the map it just looked like it was once a great dining hall of an ancient civilization.

Skaarj

Originally posted by jamie1224
    Any chance of converting these maps to Carball? They'd be awesome. If you really don't want to mess around with it, just give me permission and I'll convert them all. These maps would rock, especially the FIFA one.
    For the Saratoga maps, go right ahead. Make sure you give yourself credit for the conversion and please leave me in there as the original designer.

I can't give you permission on FIFA because it is not really my map. I actually converted the original FIFA to the night-time theme you see now because the original day-time theme made it nearly impossible to see the ball. I tried to locate the orignal author but could not - so I did the conversion without permission.

If you want to convert it to carball then be aware that the original author may have an issue with it - I don't know. But if you can find him/her let me know too!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks man. I love Carball, and some of these BR maps are ideal for it. If i get sued (lol) for the FIFA, i'll be sure to let you know.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Great looking maps, but I guess I'm more excited about them knowing they are going to be converted to carball... whats the ETA of those converted maps?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Actually, there pretty much already converted. Just need to figure out a way to make the buggy smaller. These maps weren't really intended to host vehicles. Gimme a day. I'll have something then. The only problem with the conversion is, Carball players won't appreciate the detail of the original map. I feel like I'm painting smiley faces over a work of art.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Don't make the car's smaller... make the map bigger. Making the cars smaller sound like a coder's job.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Remaking Fifa for Carball would be an awesome idea. Can you post here when you're done with the maps? I can help if you need somewhere to upload them to. BTW Sam, the IP you listed for Wicked Monkey is wrong, the correct IP is in my sig. We run BR mainly, but we also have CarBall, Onslaught, and Excessive DM.

Skaarj

Originally posted by UrDaddy-}WM{-
    BTW Sam, the IP you listed for Wicked Monkey is wrong, the correct IP is in my sig.
    hmmm...how did that happen? I swear I don't do those 3-martini lunches anymore...!

*hic*

anyway - good to see you Daddy. I'll send you a bill later for that unsolicited plug of your clan and server.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Originally posted by UrDaddy-}WM{-
    BTW Sam, the IP you listed for Wicked Monkey is wrong, the correct IP is in my sig. We run BR mainly, but we also have CarBall, Onslaught, and Excessive DM.
    ha ha ha

and I wondered why that one didnt work. thanks Urdaddy for that correction. and Saratoga Sam, for making a fun map.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Well, the maps aren't going to be as I had hoped. They're gonna have to be for smaller races if at all. I can't seem to shrink those buggy's with drivers. I'll probably make them for like 4-8 players. And as far as FIFA is concerned, I'll just be remaking that one. Probably about the size of Stadium. I'll post when I get them done. And thanks for the offer, i really appreciate it, but I got my own hosting site.

Skaarj

Well, the maps aren't going to be as I had hoped. They're gonna have to be for smaller races if at all. I can't seem to shrink those buggy's with drivers. I'll probably make them for like 4-8 players. And as far as FIFA is concerned, I'll just be remaking that one. Probably about the size of Stadium. I'll post when I get them done. And thanks for the offer, i really appreciate it, but I got my own hosting site.
    In the Unreal Editor, have you tried Tools -> Scale Map ?

MSgt. Shooter Person

NP, just an offer. I was wondering though, when you remake FIFA, are you gonna put a wall along the sides of the map? It seems like the ball would get stuck in the trees at the edge of the map. Saratoga Arena would make an awesome Carball map also, just got to balance the floor around the team goal areas.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Originally posted by Saratoga Sam
    In the Unreal Editor, have you tried Tools -> Scale Map ?
    Of course not! That's why it says Mapper In Training under my name. Maps will be out in less than 2 days. Thx man, never would have noticed that. That function rox!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Ok, almost done with Saratoga Arena IV. Sorry it's taking so long, but I had a few personal problems arise. Should be out by the 20th.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks for the update man, I'm eagerly awaiting the day when I can play some CB on these maps.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Another disappointing post. Sorry for all the delays guys, but I got a virus from mIRC. I had to restore from my DVD backups. I don't see me finishing these maps anytime soon because of all the other work I've lost.

I was able to recover an older version of the Saratoga Arena IV map I was making. I'm not planning to do any more work on these maps for quite a while, if ever. My life is just way to crazy ATM. Anyone who wants to continue from where I left off, I'll leave the link below.

As far as credit for the map, don't change any of the author info. Sam posted something about it earlier, I assume it would hold true for whomever finishes this.

Sorry for the problems guys, but as I said previously, my life really IS crazy atm.

Here's the link. I'll leave it up as long as possible.

http://jamie.bitgnome.net/CB-Saratoga_Arena_IV.zip

MSgt. Shooter Person

Nice job once again Sam! I do think this map would be awesome for carball.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Anybody who plays CarBall and doesn't visit the CB forums, here's a link to the thread there, which has a link for the finished version of this map:

http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/foru...ad.php?t=47115