Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PointlesS7

Smile AS-CityInvasion [ALMOST BETA] :D

Name: AS-CityInvasion
    Version: N/A
    Compatibility: UT2004
    Description: Once released I'll have one
    Comments: The 3rd map I've done for UT200x. I plan on having a beta out in 1-2 weeks. The beta version will include excellent custom voice work done by a friend and fantastic gameplay. Other features like an actual matinee sequence I plan on doing in the final version.
    Screenshots - Everything is a WIP, but it's pretty much finished...the background buildings will probably be shuffled around when it's released but generally what you see is what you'll get...the city smoke effect (really cool in motion) may be toned down for performance reasons...but I'm trying in every way possible not to do this...because I like it a lot...

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Credits: Angel_Mapper for letting me use her trash bag and dumpster mesh. Along with her well written tutorials.
    BerneyBoy for the awesome texture pack: http://www.planetquake.com/berneyboy/
    Everyone in the level editing forum
    a crapload more people will be here
    Homepage: N/A
    Download: Almost finished...need beta testers
    Last edited by PointlesS; 02-11-2005 at 12:00 PM.

Redeemer

Yum. Looking good.

Iron Guard

dark and atmospheric....nice :up:

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CptNathjan

looking great, hopefully we can have a download soon.

Skaarj

Looks Great. I'm deffinately gonna download it when its available!!!:up:

Iron Guard

Wicked! :up:

MSgt. Shooter Person

looks sweet. I'm a little unsure about how this will play, but I'll be there to download it.

Banned

Default Re: AS-CityInvasion [PICS] [NO DOWNLOAD YET]

Originally posted by PointlesS
    Name: AS-CityInvasion
    Version: N/A
    Compatibility: UT2004
    Description: Once released I'll have one
    Comments: The 3rd map I've done for UT200x. I plan on having a beta out in 1-2 weeks. The final version will include custom voice work done by a friend, and a matinee sequence that shows how the attackers got there instead of the usual show of objectives part. Plus another cool thing that players will find on their own.
    Screenshots - Everything is a WIP, so I still need to change around some lighting, add more objects and such. Anyways, enjoy!

Now this sounds like a REAL AS map. Please take into account that some of us don't play online and we too need more than 6 or 7 good AS maps so add in Bot support ... please please please.

Glad you have put together a voice over intro ... strangely enough I've seen several AS maps without them. Please add in at least one place where a person can plant explosives to blow something up. Thanks, looking forward to this map.

Exodus

BTW: Just noticed that you are the developer responsible for ONS-BoilingParadise .... nice map. I just finished deleting all the maps I don't play (about 50) and I kept yours. Good to see Sandorski gave you an 8 ... he is an excellent map reviewer. Manticore ... another good reviewer ... should have given you a higher score than 6, IMHO.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

the place where you get the hellbender (third pic you blow up the right door) and blow up the city walls you have to plant explosives bot support is definately planned...that's what I'm doing for today really...just working on the bot paths + objectives to get a better feel...and from there make any changes to the map...I still need to complete the last part of the city...I'm a little unsure of the length of the map...to get from the start of the map to the end takes around 1:30 (just blazing though the objectives...no bots or players added)...but I think it'll turn out well...I'll get a better idea of how the map will play when I finally add some bot support later today...

*scratches head* I could how sworn i replied to this thread already. Anyway this is really really looking nice =]. Keep it up man and make sure to let people know when its availble i'll put it up on my clanserver if it plays as good as it looks. once again nice job! finnaly! not another crap funmap!

yayaya :up:
    I clog arteries, EAT ME!!!

MSgt. Shooter Person

:haha: @ first pic

MSgt. Shooter Person

YES!!

That looks awsome man!!

Banned

Default Outstanding

the place where you get the hellbender (third pic you blow up the right door) and blow up the city walls you have to plant explosives bot support is definately planned...that's what I'm doing for today really...just working on the bot paths + objectives to get a better feel...and from there make any changes to the map...I still need to complete the last part of the city...I'm a little unsure of the length of the map...to get from the start of the map to the end takes around 1:30 (just blazing though the objectives...no bots or players added)...but I think it'll turn out well...I'll get a better idea of how the map will play when I finally add some bot support later today...

Right on PointlesS! Man thank you so much for taking the time to do this. The Single Player Alliance salutes you ! "Nuff said! Peace.

Exodus

the map looks realy nice :up: good work :up:

MSgt. Shooter Person

Theres no doubt that i will download this map when it's released. Looks fantastic.

Iron Guard

Cool looking.

Prisoner 849

Glad to be a tester!

Harsh

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

just to give an update on the map...I've been working really hard on the map...it's taking over every minute I spend on the comptuer...I wanna say thanks to two people: Dario D. who really went out of his way to give me a lesson in modeling and vertex lighting...also Stefan from Streamline Studios for letting me use the .u file from AS-Confexia and giving me a few pointers on bots...speaking of bots...if anyone who's good working with bots then please drop me a pm or get me on aim and I'll have you take a look at the map...I've spent entire days working on bots but I seriously can't get them to work at all...I really want to have bot support in the first beta...just wouldn't seem complete without it...

that's probably the downside of what's going on...on the plus side I got every spawn point working...got some weapons in...every objective is functional except for the last one...but that's because I haven't taken the 5 minutes to add it yet...I've added a really sweet scripted sequence that I don't want to spoil but you'll see in due time...added some more stuff to the city...my friend is also hard at with with the custom voice work...

Banned

Default Is this an Epic bug?

With so many people saying how hard it is to get the bots to work correctly in AS (and considering the limited number of AS maps available) I've had to rethink my former positon. Now I seriously question Epic's desire to see more AS maps out here. If the maps are that hard and the tools so inadequate then maybe Epic needs to issue a major patch to address this. Anyway at least you can take comfort in the fact that you are not alone. Good luck .

legacy-cyzmyass

Bah screw the bots, we need more AS maps for online play, add the bots in a later release.

Prisoner 849

I can't wait for this map, but can you make sure it has at least one or two eggs. I love finding out funny stuff whilst I play. I seem to have a nack for looking for bugs, so i would love to be a beta tester.

Harsh

Banned

Default Don't cave in

Big P,

Please don't give into those that don't care about anyone but themselves and just release a version that only works online. Maybe you could release this version to those that want to forget that SP/IA players exist and have made a financial contribution to this game as well; then you could release a version that supports everyone. DO all you OLMPers think that if companies only cared about supporting you alone they would last long? If you do you haven't lived long enough yet ...

If that was the case then why go through the hassle of writing additional code and doing additonal testing (and spending more bucks). Talk to Mktg and Sales People in the biz (established proven companies) and you'll see that the numbers suggest that us SPers are still a major force onthe gaming scene ... there are just so many places that don't have good net access and many many people who don't have DSL or better and so don't even to try and play on-line. Anyway ... I know some people in the biz and we've talked about this issue many times. It's a numbers and money game ... plus it's a strategic move as well.

P, if it is too much of a hassle then hell, give the selfish MPers this map and then make DM or ONS created with the SPers in mind. I just want good maps and I'm sure that goes for everyone ... so in the end do you what you feel. All I know is that in the last couple of days it seems like more people who don't believe in Karma are boldly stepping forth. Have a care ... Karma will catch you when you least expect it (Like your system completely crashing in the middle of one of the best On-line matches on your UT career).

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

well my main reason isn't because people who don't play online can play it in sp mode...although that is a big reason as there are many people who do that (myself included sometimes) but the biggest reason for me is because when you go and play on an assault server...there's always at least a few bots in there too...I'd hate for someone to join a server that has 8 bots in there and have them completely braindead...

I said I wouldn't release this map without proper bot support...and I really want to keep that promise...just looking at epic's maps they are a standard botpath network with some scripted sequences in it...I'm sure it's something simple but I just haven't figured it out yet...

Banned

Default Excellent Point

... but the biggest reason for me is because when you go and play on an assault server...there's always at least a few bots in there too...I'd hate for someone to join a server that has 8 bots in there and have them completely braindead...

Point taken ... Now I really can't understand why a map would be released without proper bot support. Hope you find the solution, because this looks like a very entertaining AS map. Good luck. Peace.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

sorry for another bump with no release yet...but great news...the defensive bots use vehicles (and use them well - never get stuck yet)...and the offensive bots as well...still working on improving them but they are starting to be functional...I need to botpath the last few objectives and add some more visual things...but otherwise the map as it stands is fully functional and working...gonna be working my ass off for the next few days and when the weekend rolls around I hope to release a working beta...

Prisoner 849

will there be any live nudes?

Skaarj

lookin real nice so far, keep up the good work .

Banned

Default Bots support RULES!

sorry for another bump with no release yet...but great news...the defensive bots use vehicles (and use them well - never get stuck yet)...and the offensive bots as well...still working on improving them but they are starting to be functional...I need to botpath the last few objectives and add some more visual things...but otherwise the map as it stands is fully functional and working...gonna be working my ass off for the next few days and when the weekend rolls around I hope to release a working beta...
    Sounds like exactly what I wanted to hear! Right on for working so hard to get us a great fun AS map. I just got done doing pure IA testing for MarZer for his AS-HighRise and if you need any help let me know. Finding bot bugs is my area of expertise ! Peace and as a SP/IA player I can tell you I am really waiting anxiously for the first beta release .

MSgt. Shooter Person

Finally, not a difficult looking race AS map, Great work, looks good!

Skaarj

/me looks around for the download link...

Don't toy with us man, link us! :)~

MSgt. Shooter Person

Full featured intro, bot support and beautiful looking map. Just beautiful.

MSgt. Shooter Person

as others have said, its good to see the mapping community expanding. And while highly commend you for wanting to add bot support, i think there is a reason to put it out without bot support, and that is to get some playtesting feedback on it with real people. Many of the maps out there now have the very serious flaw that they just haven't been playtested, and with the subtlety that goes into making an assault map this is probably the most important aspect of the mapping process. Even though i agree that you should have bot support, i don't think its necessary for a beta if you have the map in a playable condition.

That said, i'm pretty dedicated to having beta versions of maps up on our server (holo house of ugly) and will happily put yours up there as well when we gets it. Feel free to also stop by www.clan-holo.com forums for any feedback we might have related to it.

looking forward to the beta! it looks good so far

Banned

I couldn't disagree more with the above post ... bot support is critical ... and it IS defintely a good way to pre-test for both gameplay and fps issues, I am really getting tired of people treating us SP/IA players like we are second class gaming citizens ... we are NOT!! We matter as much as any MP person out there. That said I am looking forward to this beta and really hope that you can get the bot support figured out. When creating a map everyone who plays this game should receive the same amount of consideration.

And really it would seem to me that this gametype is the cause of so much misery ... so to speak. I don't recall DM and CTF (and even ONS) maps having this type of the issue ... at least not so often. Peace .

Edited: This is a post talking about another AS map called AS-Osaka:

"well I just played a quick game with the bots...this map is incredible...if you're a fan of assault or even ut2k4 in general then download this map...it's got a great theme...great custom music...a cool rock texture that I really like and a lot of custom static meshes...this map deserves to be on every ut2k4 server out there....

as for feedback...I noticed that with the bots they use the link gun way too much and don't use alternate routes too often...but other than that they play very well...it was cool in the first objective to see the bots take different defensive positions behind the objects and such...keep up the good work"

And here is another from the developer: "Yes, the bots work on it, usually very nicely."

So as you can see bot support ... though it may not be perfect (which isn't to be expected anyway imo) ... does work, does matter, and is taken into account by talented developers.

MSgt. Shooter Person

And really it would seem to me that this gametype is the cause of so much misery ... so to speak. I don't recall DM and CTF (and even ONS) maps having this type of the issue ... at least not so often. Peace .
    That's an intersting topic that we've been discussing (slightly) on our forums as well, and maybe deservers some consideration here as well, but i agree that there seems to be more difficulty creating/getting good assault maps and the question is why?

It could be a lack of community (comparatively), if there are less people doing it then there will be less quality mappage.

It could also be though that there are very different considerations in making an assault map (in a lot of ways its more like a single player map, but with mp components, so it might just take more time to learn)

still though i think some stems from lack of playtesting or playtesting with bots, as that (while important) is vstly different from the experience you will have when it is finally in the public domain and up for scrutiny....

Dunno. Prolly doesn't fit here, but i thought you should know you're not the only one thinking about that sort of thing.

Banned

Originally posted by Feffer
    That's an intersting topic that we've been discussing (slightly) on our forums as well, and maybe deservers some consideration here as well, but i agree that there seems to be more difficulty creating/getting good assault maps and the question is why?

It could be a lack of community (comparatively), if there are less people doing it then there will be less quality mappage.

It could also be though that there are very different considerations in making an assault map (in a lot of ways its more like a single player map, but with mp components, so it might just take more time to learn)

still though i think some stems from lack of playtesting or playtesting with bots, as that (while important) is vstly different from the experience you will have when it is finally in the public domain and up for scrutiny....

Dunno. Prolly doesn't fit here, but i thought you should know you're not the only one thinking about that sort of thing.
    I respect everything you said Feffer ... it's nice to meet someone who you can civily disagree with without it turning into some obscen name calling contest . I honestly think it's what I said earlier in this thread about there being an Epic bug. I just can't understand why they won't address it more and at least make an attempt at fixing this problem ... instead of letting developers and testers go insane trying to produce retail quality maps, and users be frustrated by inadequate gameplay. Peace and again thanks for maintaining a civil tone while voicing your opinion. Others should take notice of how you approach gaming disagreements. :up:

MSgt. Shooter Person

I agree on having real discussions online, such a rarity but also very nice.

You should stop by our forums some time - www.clan-holo.com - while there is some trash here and there it is limited and we actually have been having some great discussions about some of these very things in the mapping forums

cheers

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

just to give an update...sorry for the delays...bots are being stupid whores again but I'm sure I'm just missing some stupid detail...I highly doubt it's a bug with assault itself as from what I've experienced most of my bugs have been user error..

I've updated quite a bit of the city...there's a lot more buildings in the background now and it looks really damned cool (added some funny parts to it too)...the last part of the city is nearing completion...all objectives are fully functional...spawn points are in...vehicle spawning is correct and working...along with weapons...I know I said I'd have a beta out like last weekend but the bot snag above and real life crap's been getting in the way...I can't say a date (as you can see I'm never accurate)...but I promise it'll be soon...sorry again for the update and no release yet though

Glad youre still making it! Take as much time as you need to get it working right
    I clog arteries, EAT ME!!!

Iron Guard

looks professional

(i would say: f* bot support)

nice work, cant wait till it gets released

Skaarj

nice map any idea how long till theres a download?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast