Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DM-Forbidden

MSgt. Shooter Person

Post DM-Forbidden

Name: Forbidden
    Version: 1.0
    Compatibility: UT2004
    Description: This is kind of a strange map on an airship flying around a city.
    Comments: Have fun guys!
    Screenshot: http://www.planetunreal.com/solidflu...orbidden01.jpg
    Credits: David Spalinski & Warbeast
    Homepage: http://www.planetunreal.com/solidflux/ and www.warbeast.de
    Download: http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/p...-forbidden.zip

This is not an official map release. just for fun.

Boomshot

Woo! I'm always up for a Warbeast map, and if solidflux was in on it as well, then it has to be good

Banned

Niiiice. I know this map is probably HIGHLY different from Galleon, but for some odd reason, it reminds me of a high-tech Galleon.

:bulb:

Anyhow, I'm downloading now. Warbeast + Epic LD = Serious skills.

Iron Guard

Looks sweet, but are those dark objects in the water part of the map or BPS errors?

Another question, not in reguards to your map, but why is no one making CTF, BR, or AS maps? CTF is my fave.

MSgt. Shooter Person

no, they are city docks, just really slim to save on polys

EDIT: agreed, ctf is needed.

MSgt. Shooter Person

yummy. I like this map much.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PointlesS7

well if anything that pic is my wallpaper...downloading

The lighting seems flat and dull. Almost looks zone lit. :bulb:

Iron Guard

great map :up:

only thing that bothered me was the thunder, just loud enough to annoy me a little

MSgt. Shooter Person

yeah that thunder is a little too loud. whoops sorry.

angel, you should have chimed in on the CBP forums with your feedback, too late now. :bulb:

I don't visit there anymore. The packs are done, and I need some time away from you guys. :bulb:

MSgt. Shooter Person

oh I didn't realize that. too bad. :bulb:

I hope your future projects do well.

yeah, the old version had better lighting... more moody.

/me shuts up and downloads...

MSgt. Shooter Person

haha, no it didn't. that version was hella old.

im probably mistaken then... it was a long time ago.

[edit]
    Cant seem to get that fileplanet page to open; is the map running better now?

MSgt. Shooter Person

This is definitely an artistic achievement, and I can't say I've ever played a map that used the rotating skybox effect so uniquely. b^_^d

The thunder is a touch loud, but I would only turn it down a smidgeon. It needs to retain its wonderful "kick" that has a tendency to startle me every now and again. Also, it's kind of annoying that several of the jumppads throw me so high above my destination that I hurt myself on landing. Not too much damage, mind, but it's the principle of the thing that irks me.

The skyline reminds me of the original Thief, for some reason...

That is all.

Iron Guard

Yes. Seems like a nice map. Gonna try it out soon. Periods are nice. They are helpfull to sentences. Although, commas aren't to bad either. Sadly neither of them help with my bad spelling. What was my point again?.... questions marks are nice to. :down: :noob: <--- best smiley combo ever!

Originally posted by Plumb_Drumb
    im probably mistaken then... it was a long time ago.

[edit]
    Cant seem to get that fileplanet page to open; is the map running better now?
    try warbeast's page he has a direct download

MSgt. Shooter Person

w00t!

MSgt. Shooter Person

\o/

Looks awesome.

*gets*

Originally posted by Drag00n

thanks dude! :up:

Skaarj

Default umm..?

umm wth is this??? this is not supposed to be this way!

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

UT 2004 3236/radeon 9800 pro 128mb

Iron Guard

Originally posted by Angel_Mapper
    The lighting seems flat and dull. Almost looks zone lit. :bulb:
    Hmm, sounds like HYPERBLAST2 crap lighting...although the first screenshot doesnt look THAT bad.

hmmmm.... now all that we need is a server that isn't fileplanet to host the file...

I get to 98% and the download just cuts out... leaving me with a useless files. :bulb:

Anyways, this map looks great, and I love the idea. Now all I need are the files to play it.

Iron Guard

Straight from warbeast's website:

http://warbeast.clan00.de/filez/dm-forbidden.zip

Thanks FineWolf

Good old FlashGet, saved me from having to download 7 mbs again... (damn 56k... ASDL WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE SO EXPENSIVE TO SET UP?!?!?!?!? etc.....)

Anyways, thanks again, I'll try this map out now, while I'm downloading ChaosUT. Only 4 more hours to go

Originally posted by Drag00n
    oops, /me should read previous posts more carefully.

MSgt. Shooter Person

great map but whats up with the sky box? i move my view around and the sky like fades in and out and its really annoying

Skaarj

I dont like this map at all. This is a classic case of big ideas but crap result. Even the classic Warbeast trademark meshes couldnt rescue this.. Where is the bin?

This map is really aweful for me.

Okies, having played it a bit, I can say that it is a nice map, with a novel idea, but its not for me.

Firstly, it runs too slowly for me.... This may not be your fault as I do have a GeForce2 (yes, groan) but compared to other ONS levels, there is a difference in the speed of the gameplay.

Secondly, you really need to turn down the thunder SFX. First time I heard it, my heart skipped a beat... way to load, and as a result of that, the sound sounds terrible as it becomes distorted (although this may be the actual sound file that you used)

The arcitechure is nice, and I like the idea of the flying ship. However, there was something about the bottom of the ship that makes me uneasy for some reason. I also didn't like the fact that the death zone for falling off was so low down. If you made it about half way between the ship and where it is now, I think that it would make it a bit better. Still time to look up and think "shoot", but not som much that it slows down the gameplay for the person who just fell off.

Just another thought, would it be possible to add fog or clouds (probably not that low down, but then again those could be some BIG bridges) to the path that the ship follows? I think that that would add some more atmosphere to the map.

Well, there are my thoughts.

Overall. a nice level, but not for me. (personally I prefer 1on1 DM and smaller levels like that.)

Iron Guard

I admit, as much as I love the visuals and atmospherics of Warbeast's maps, I've never liked their gameplay. I'll pass on this one.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Great looking and playing map. Need some getting used to before you can jump around without dieing every other 10 seconds by falling of.

Veteran

Great map.

-Good looks*
    -Good flow (played only against bots yet)
    -Good fps.

It's a keeper... :up:

*) Although some distance fog would have really improved the scenery (bridges end in nowhere) and when you fall off the ship you don't get closer to the water surface. Apart from that: Awesome job.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Originally posted by Hedge_o_Matic
    I admit, as much as I love the visuals and atmospherics of Warbeast's maps, I've never liked their gameplay. I'll pass on this one.

than you´ll be glad to hear that solid did the layout and i only did the visuals :P :P :P

Default Magnificent

Another stylistic tour de force by Warbeast, with the addition of Solid gmeplay make this a map to keep.

The Thunder was just the right volume - *thunder* is supposed to make you jump :up:

I love the "steampunk" style, it has a wonderful, dirty, industrial feel to it - you can almost smell the coal dust and machine oil.

Damned fine.

Prisoner 849

Downloading...

MSgt. Shooter Person

OMG! Sweet
    d/ling now
    Gotta love that t-1 line

Iron Guard

Brilliantly fun original map. Don't think I have anything more to add then what I've said before about it.

Iron Guard

Originally posted by Warbeast
    than you´ll be glad to hear that solid did the layout and i only did the visuals :P :P :P
    Cool! Downloading now!

legacy-SapphireShades

I like the concept, and the gameplay's not bad. For some real fun try it with low grav. :-p

The visuals are nice, but are a bit lacking. The city doesn't look bad, but it does all look the same. And the underside of the boat and sky seem to be missing something. I think a floating boat may have been better, but the difference is marginal. And I do think some clouds would be nice, as the only real change comes when you pass by the bridge. Otherwise the town might as well just be a skybox. It should be sort of like a Disney ride, so you pass different landmarks along the way.

MSgt. Shooter Person

yeah thats exactly what this is, a concept map. Sort of like how the original galleon was an experiment, so is this map.

It actually started as just a modelling side project. I modelled the ship in softimage XSI. A bunch of people told me they liked the way it looked, so I decided to take it a step further, and try to give it as much gameflow as is possible on an airship and bring it into unrealed. This was over a year ago that I had a working version of the level. It was very evil looking. since then it has just been collecting dust, forgotten. Then this may I asked warbeast to try to polish it up in time for cbp2 release, but there wasnt enough time left. It probably is better that way though. With no time restraints, he was able to make a bunch of new textures, update some of the ship models, make a few gameplay tweaks, a bunch of other stuff I am forgetting, and add that city into the skybox (yes it is skybox :P).

Hopefully it was a successful experiment in funky airship UT, but if not, at least it was a successful collaboration (like DaimlerChrysler :P).

Prisoner 849

Nice map. It took me some time to get used to it, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast