Iron Guard

Default OT: Anyone upgrade from 9800Pro to X800XT or X800P?

What do you think...was it worth it?

legacy-RedShadowXX

not at the current prices of the x800 (around 500, 450 at cheapest), although when the prices do decrease later on (less than 400?) it's probably a fine investment, as these cards are a substantially dramatic improvement over the 9800s

Redeemer

$300 better?
    no way
    games dont even need it yet
    I guess if your heavy into benchmarks:noob:

MSgt. Shooter Person

The nvidia Geforce 6800GT is plenty fast enough, and is priced at a modest $299.99. It scores higher than the X800Pro in 3DMark'03.

They should be available very soon. I currently have an ATi 9800XT, but I'll be moving to camp nvidia soon. I mean, c'mon, $450.00+ for something slower than a $299.99 dollar video card?

ATi is...well, ripping everyone off. Trying to.

MSgt. Shooter Person

i wouldnt buy any of them, the 9800 pro or xt r good cards, u can use them for years.. i got a fx5600 256 mb and still dont have any fps troubles

Iron Guard

Originally posted by Necromancer
    $300 better?
    no way
    games dont even need it yet
    I guess if your heavy into benchmarks:noob:
    Um, start talking Far Cry and other more DX9'ish games at 1600 x 1200 x 32 and a bunch of AA and AF and that statement falls flat on it's face real quick...

MSgt. Shooter Person

i've got a 9800pro and i don't think i'll be upgrading anytime soon - it plays every game i have at max details fairly well. a tiny bit of a prob with "Far Cry" but ut2004, D-Ex 2, BF Vietnam, X2 - they all run fine fps > 50 (with high load).

at least wait till Nvidia bring out their latest and see if it measures up.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Originally posted by squoibymox
    Um, start talking Far Cry and other more DX9'ish games at 1600 x 1200 x 32 and a bunch of AA and AF and that statement falls flat on it's face real quick...
    Very true.

Haha. You wouldn't even need to enable AA/AF for that. Just up the resolution to anything above 1024x768.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I've got tonnes of memory, an AMD fx-53 processor and a 5900 Ultra and I can still bring the system to it's knees! The games are still ahead of the hardware. There are DX9 features that aren't even used on DX9 cards because it slows them down too much.

The new cards kick bottom but are just OTT in price at the mo. If you've got the dough though....

MSgt. Shooter Person

although its unlikely that there will be a point in time when the hardware can handle any game on the market

MSgt. Shooter Person

the only GeForce 6800 GT that i've seen at $299 was a Best Buy price mistake that was correctly shortly after.

http://www.evga.com/products/prod_li...ce+6800+Family

on evga's website they list the MSRP's and the GeForce 6800 GT is $399 as expected.

if i had a 9800 Pro or better right now i wouldn't upgrade, but it's a personal choice. if you have the money then have the fun with it. if you're on a budget or want to be efficient, then the answer is obviously no.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I think I'll get one anyway.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Originally posted by sean67
    although its unlikely that there will be a point in time when the hardware can handle any game on the market
    at the contrary...i think there will be....if u think about it costs for producing games are going to be always higher and there will be a point when even big houses like id wont be able to invest the price needed to produce the cutting edge piece of software of the future...hardware at the contrary is produced by giants like nvidia, ati, intel, amd..and producing the x800 xt today isnt cheaper than producing the cutting edge card that will be in 10 years..

MSgt. Shooter Person

true but lets say they release a graphics card which runs all the latest games at 100fps (i wish). now what company would go and release a better card? what would be the point (as it would cost more)? releasing this ideal card would put lots of companys out of business. a better card would never be released - or if it did sales would be low. this one card would be bad for business?

MSgt. Shooter Person

i didnt think of this....well i guess we will just have to wait and see...

MSgt. Shooter Person

true but lets say they release a graphics card which runs all the latest games at 100fps (i wish). now what company would go and release a better card? what would be the point (as it would cost more)? releasing this ideal card would put lots of companys out of business. a better card would never be released - or if it did sales would be low. this one card would be bad for business?
    im gonna pass that off as lack of sleep or something because it makes absolutely no sense.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Rlyeh Ftaghn seemed to understand what i was banging on about. Anyway, i can't really think of a good analigy so ignore it if you want

MSgt. Shooter Person

I'm confused - I thought this had ALREADY happened and now we are coming into a cycle where software demands will start to outstrip the hardware.

I mean right before UT2003 came out and we had 9700 Pros and most every game that came out was based on the Q3 engine - what games were kicking hardware's trash? Even after UT2003, a 9700 Pro could still handle the game just fine.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "handle" True we still couldn't 'max out' the fps in every game, but I'm was fairly sure that there have been various times in the hardware/software cycle when hardware has caught up with software for a little bit.

MSgt. Shooter Person

New cards don't just up the current FPS, they also include the latest innovations in 3D technology like AA, AF, bump mapping, etc. New features are coming out all the time. Graphic card development won't stop until you can confuse a human into thinking they are watching real life but actually it's just a game!
    We're no where even CLOSE to that yet.
    Check out the techdemos that the card companies produce, they look amazing but are too complex to make into a game

MSgt. Shooter Person

just to clarify. the 6800 is 299 the 6800gt is 399 and above that god knows

MSgt. Shooter Person

yes the x800 XT is twice as fast then a 9800 pro.. really good buy and you will get alot preformens out of it

pls nvidia fan boys hes asking to upgrade to an x800 XT
    lets keep it simple shall we?? :noob:

MSgt. Shooter Person

I think its worth the upgrade. Personally I want the best quality all the time. I def. wont go with the new Nvidia card cause i dont have at least a 480W PS.

Iron Guard

Originally posted by ^ngelus
    yes the x800 XT is twice as fast then a 9800 pro.. really good buy and you will get alot preformens out of it

pls nvidia fan boys hes asking to upgrade to an x800 XT
    lets keep it simple shall we?? :noob:
    Yea i wouldn't be tempted to upgrade, but the performance difference in the benchmarks is huge from the 9800 to the x800.

When the 9700 to the 9800 came out the difference wasn't as big, but not it seems tempting.

And yea for you people who say you play everything fine on your Fx5600 cards and stuff i'm sure you do, but I like to play with AA and AF cranked up and the highest texture quality.

I hate jaggies/alaising and flame me if you want, but visual quality is as important to me as gameplay.

Skaarj

Actually, I've just ordered the x800 XT-PE as an upgrade from my 9700 Pro. It's getting to the point that it's a worthy upgrade, I think. Should be coming any day now. *doing a dance*

jonathan
    parker
    bedrava