Skaarj

Unhappy "Please insert the original disc instead of a backup" - ???

Bought UT2K4 DVD SE for $42.39

I expect it to work without a hitch. However, after a successful install, I launch the game. This is what I see:

"Please insert the original disc instead of a backup. See ww.securom.com/copy for more details."

WTF is this crap? I paid so much for a game and this is the crap I get? Not to mention it took me 6 tries to get it installed. 1st I made sure my dvdrom had the latest firmware...even though other apps like windows xp and office installed without a hitch. Then I turned off write cache thinking it would help..nope. Then I copied the DVD to disk and did an install that way...it keeps telling me my media is dirty. After other attempts, I finally went into safe mode to install. It installed fine with a successful installation message, but it did give me a windows installer error. I ignored it and booted into windows normal mode. Ran the game and got the crappy message above. Someone tell me how to fix this problem :cry:

Atari, or Epic, or whoever needs to get this sh1t fixed! If the DVD SE copies are bad...fine, fix it and send out new ones to their customers. If not, I see a class action lawsuit coming their way!

MSgt. Shooter Person

You may have to use a "no CD" crack to get the game to work. I know we shouldn't have to resort to measures like that to get a game we PAID for to work, but that's what I had to do. I won't post a direct link to a no CD crack here but it shouldn't be too hard to find one.

Skaarj

I'm not 100% sure of this one, but when I first installed the game, and ran it for the first time, I got the same thing. At the time it sounded like it was as issue with my drive, as it struggled to reach top speed before the disc was read.

I had seen the problem before with other games in that while the drive is winding up to full speed (high speed CD/DVD drives) the software tries to access the disc and times out thinking it is an invalid disc, or a non-existent disc since it can't get any data yet (no data available until drive reaches full speed).

As for a resolution, I am unsure, as I haven't had a problem since. Although, on my second attempt, the drive had reached it's full speed, and I ran the game again while the drive was still at speed. I haven't had to do this since, and am unsure if this was even what resolved the issue.

Good luck.

Skaarj

Exit ALL non-essential items in your taskbar. For me, that would be Avantbrowser, MSN messenger, Steam, and xFire. It always works for me after exiting those taskbar programs, but it has that error before hand.

Skaarj

Little story. Had trouble running Grandprix 4 on another computer , it wouldn't start after the safedisc /macrovision check/screen happened. Now the CD was in my Lite-on CDRW so I put in another CD drive and the game now runs perfectly as long as the GP4 CD is in that drive.

If you can, try another CD drive

Skaarj

Originally posted by oldman
    Little story. Had trouble running Grandprix 4 on another computer , it wouldn't start after the safedisc /macrovision check/screen happened. Now the CD was in my Lite-on CDRW so I put in another CD drive and the game now runs perfectly as long as the GP4 CD is in that drive.

If you can, try another CD drive
    I only have one dvd player...this bites!

Skaarj

Well, here's what I did to get it to work FINALLY! fyi, YMMV, so don't come complaining to me if this doesn't work

I had to uninstall nero burning rom and disable/stop/kill all symantec antivirus apps/processes

which one did the fix I cannot say...but either one is ghey! if the latter worked...what is atari/epic trying to install/hide on my comp that I had to disable a major security feature in order to install their stupid game? I hope we don't all become pulsing zombies...laff.

I'm not trying to cause a big conspiracy thing, it's just that I've installed about a hundred games (full and retail). And not one have I ever had to disable my anti-virus program....what's next? Anyways, I'm logging EVERYTHING on my firewall...just in case

I'm just glad the game is working now...after I wasted half of my Sunday LOL. Now I can actually enjoy my $43 game :sour:

Shame on you atari/epic!

MSgt. Shooter Person

My boyfriend runs Norton Antivirus (Corporate edition), and he does not have problems with UT2k4. Chances are it was an issue with Nero.

Sounds like Epic/Atari is assuming that you're a criminal because you have Nero installed.

Skaarj

I have nero installed and have no problems installing or running this game. I have received this error when I tried to run the game with a copy of the dvd I had made. But with the original dvd it works great. Now I want to figure how to make a copy so I don't chance destroying the original. Which is what happened to my Rallisport challenge. Had to buy a whole new game, cheaper than getting a replacement disk from M$.

Also tried making an Image with alcohol 120% without success-same error.

Skaarj

Hmm..I run Symantec Antivirus Enterprise Edition...but nero makes more sense. In either case, that is the most stupid thing I've ever heard! I don't even have a DVD burner...not to mention the DVD burner add on for nero. If that's the case I wish Epic/Atari would've hired better programmers....to check and see if the pirating software/hardware actually exists on the machine! It's not that hard to do...a simple registry query would tell ALL!

If they want to stop piracy...why don't they pass out RSA tokens that change code every minute! That way, if a gamer wants to play online, he/she would have to use the RSA token to authenticate to a valid master server in order to play

Ooh, that's a damn good idea! Imma gonna patent that and sell it to gaming companies! I'll be a millionaire! Let it be known that I came up with this idea 1st and no one can profit from it!

Skaarj

Default Getacrack!!

Securom is on 90% of the games we buy. However, there is a serious bug with it on the UT2K4 DVD se. And from what i've read on these boards in the last few days, many other people have had similar problems with other games. For all you people having this problem there is only ONE guaranteed fix. Goto gamecopyworld or any P2P network and download a fixed .exe. This removes the CD check from the game executable and as an added bonus you do not have to insert your dvd everytime you play. (note: on original unreal an unreal tournament you never had to insert your cd by default; there was no cd check built in to the game) Hopefully Epic can fix this in a patch otherwise us lucky DVD owners will have to seek out a new crack everytime we update our versions of the game. That would be a serious pain in the arse!!

Skaarj

Default Re: Getacrack!!

Originally posted by WSmith84
    Securom is on 90% of the games we buy. However, there is a serious bug with it on the UT2K4 DVD se. And from what i've read on these boards in the last few days, many other people have had similar problems with other games. For all you people having this problem there is only ONE guaranteed fix. Goto gamecopyworld or any P2P network and download a fixed .exe. This removes the CD check from the game executable and as an added bonus you do not have to insert your dvd everytime you play. (note: on original unreal an unreal tournament you never had to insert your cd by default; there was no cd check built in to the game) Hopefully Epic can fix this in a patch otherwise us lucky DVD owners will have to seek out a new crack everytime we update our versions of the game. That would be a serious pain in the arse!!
    That's not an option for me...I want to be legit! I don't want any excuses when I pwn someone's @ss and they turn around and accuse me of cheating through a hacked version. Besides, why should I run through hoops just to get a game installed? It should be a seamless process...cut and dry. I've never installed a program that requires EVERYTHING turned off..what's the point of having a computer? I'm sure there are plenty of n00by computer users out there that have no clue how to change their DVD from DMA to PIO mode...etc. Atari/epic f*cked up, they have no clue about quality control...this is their fault, plain and simple.

Skaarj

It seems that this is not a problem with the SE, but with the normal DVD-version, too.

I get the same error with the UT2004_DVDGERMAN. So I have to ask myself, why do I buy software in the first place?

Skaarj

Default Re: Re: Getacrack!!

Originally posted by UTPLAYER
    That's not an option for me...I want to be legit! I don't want any excuses when I pwn someone's @ss and they turn around and accuse me of cheating through a hacked version. Besides, why should I run through hoops just to get a game installed? It should be a seamless process...cut and dry. I've never installed a program that requires EVERYTHING turned off..what's the point of having a computer? I'm sure there are plenty of n00by computer users out there that have no clue how to change their DVD from DMA to PIO mode...etc. Atari/epic f*cked up, they have no clue about quality control...this is their fault, plain and simple.
    All i am offering is a way for people top play the game they spent their money on! If they want to be legit and not play the game they bought then kudos to them. A fixed exe in no way hacks the game for cheating purposes, nor has a fixed exe ever done that to a game. A player stills needs a legit cd key to paly online. It simply removes the SECUROM garbage. I am a perfect example, i use a fixed exe and i get owned on a fairly consistent basis. I don't buy the whole "i want to be legit claim" anyway. Shipping a video game that ends up accusing its rightful licensed owner of using a pirated version is hardly a legit way to do business. Please do not let ATARI or Epic use you as their copyrights protection guinea pig. If you bought the game then you should use whatever tools are available to you to get that game to work.

Skaarj

I agree with you, but I do stand by my decision...

if memory serves me correct, it took epic a few patches before they came out with the no-cd patch

Skaarj

Default Authenticate

I was searching the forums and came upon this thread. I think you all can help me with my problem. It sounds like the same thing is happening to me too. It says the play disc wont authenticate it in time. It worked in the beginning and just started that. My computer is good too. Please tell me how to solve this problem. And also now when i try to install it again the other discs do the same thing and the second one stopped in the middle of installing. It said it couldn't read the disc when installing a level. Please help me figure this out. Thank you.

Skaarj

just a thought, guys: maybe along with "*****ing" on Apic/Atari u could provide some basic info about your system, some "special" software that is running on backgrounds or normaly, u know, anything that could be usefull to determing the problem.
    My 2 cents.

Iron Guard

Here is the link to the no cd fix thing.: NO CD/DVD fix

When will they leard to stop putting tis crap into a game that you have to have a disk in your drive to play it.

Skaarj

Default Thanks

Thanks

Skaarj

Originally posted by sWs Vito
    When will they leard to stop putting tis crap into a game that you have to have a disk in your drive to play it.
    But how can u prove that u actualy bought the game?
    Its same like to complaing about anoing clerks whos asking u to show your driver licence when u buy cigaretes...

Iron Guard

But how can u prove that u actualy bought the game?
    We'll if you dont have a valid cd code then technically u shouldn't be able to go online. And who cares, If someone really wants to they'll steal the game somehow anyways. Its just a matter of morals, do you want to buy a game and support the company so they can produce more games later or do you want to steal there game so that it hurts there buesniss and makes them go bankrupt. If you steal anything it only hurts everyone in the long run.

Skaarj

Originally posted by sWs Vito
    If someone really wants to they'll steal the game somehow anyways. Its just a matter of morals, do you want to buy a game and support the company so they can produce more games later or do you want to steal there game so that it hurts there buesniss and makes them go bankrupt.
    can not agree more

Skaarj

Unhappy

Originally posted by V@no
    just a thought, guys: maybe along with "*****ing" on Apic/Atari u could provide some basic info about your system, some "special" software that is running on backgrounds or normaly, u know, anything that could be usefull to determing the problem.
    My 2 cents.
    well, I only have 17 processes running under xp when I pop the dvd in to install..that's basically having no software running in the background. My system specs are way beyond the minimum requirements: A64 3200+, 1gig ram, 16x dvd rom, 36gig 15K hdd, 9600xt. Besides with everyone telling me that burning software is causing the problem...well, windows xp comes with burning software stardard....so I guess everyone with xp has this problem?

And the thing about purchasing the software to support your game company, that's exactly what I wanted. I bought the game for $42 to support this compay, and I expect it to work. I mean I had to bend over backwards to make the damn thing to work. And no, it's not just one thing that fixed it either. I find that if I turn DMA back on for my dvd rom, the game stops working. Says the same message. so I turn it back to pio. Or, if I reinstall nero to burn a cd, and try the game...the same thing. that's bs! that means, I need to made my pc as non-functioning as possible, just to make the stupid game run?!? that's crazy. And you say any other software running in the background? Well, it's a clean install of xp just a month ago, with nothing but office and a couple of essential apps like winzip and adobe reader. you're telling me I need to uninstall those as well? whatever!

I should be able to have every know "legit" program installed on my machine and still be able to play the goddamn game that I bought it's just that simple. I'm still mad, even though I fixed it, without epic/atari's help. why? because I have to bend over backwards just to make it work. And, when I sent in an email to their tech support, guess what? they haven't even responded yet. will i pay money to support this piece of sh1t company in the future? hell no! not again this is what it seem like to me: "pay me $42 for my game. I'll take it laughing all the way to the bank. if you try to contact me for support, forget it buddy! I know it's buggt as sh1t, do I care? I don't, I already have your money! hahaha!" That's what it seems like to me.

I don't know...does anyone really want to buy their games in the future? I know I wouldn't! Fool me once, shame on you.....fool me twice, shame on me! I ain't giving them a dime in the future. If you say, it's your computer! no it ain't, if you do a search on UT2K4 on google, all you see is problems like the one I'm describing. Not to mention the fact that there's already aimbots, and bunch of map hacks out there. One in particular is the flying leviathan hack! wtf! they're basically destroying their credibility. I know I can't trust them to make a game that's bug free. Hell, the online fps cap is a load of crap to me! If I have a faster computer, I should be able to own a little better. I mean, c'mon, you're telling me that having a faster comp doesn't have any advantages? we all might as well play with that pentium II 300 that's been sitting in the basement!

I hear the doom/quake(id) company makes a damn good game. I guess I'll be buying their game in the future!

Skaarj

Default Game issues.

Well I have had the same issues as everone else.
    I do have the system running great on a 1.3 Duron system with 512 Meg PC133 ram in Windows 98SE and a Radeon 64 DDR VIVO card. For some reason there is no problem with it. I do have a CD-RW installed and it is not giving me problems. Runs great.
    The problem with my system I first tried the install was with the Software installed in my system. It is an AMD 1.4 system. I have a DVD +- Sony drive. I installed from it with no problems. WinXP with 512 Meg 2100 DDR RAM with a ATI 9000 PRO video card. As soon as I launced the game and got to the menu, it would freeze.
    I ended up following some suggestions I found for another problem I was having with my 123 studios software for backing up my DVD Movies. It has helped my problem. I unistalled my EZ CD creater software/packet writing software/DLA software and Nero Burning Rom software. Now I can launch the game at least without hang ups. It does run in Safe mode and I am slowly turning on all the bells and whistles. At least I am getting somewhere. I also turn off the Virus scanner, I do that anyway with all games.
    So I am kind of using an old system, but it looks pretty good and I am not going to complain. I just wish I did not have to troubleshoot so hard to get it running.

Skaarj

Default Hmm

Well.. I'm running WindowsXP. And the DVD version (not SE).
    I've had numerous other problems, but not the one mentioned here.
    Can't be all DVD's?

I'm pretty much using a clean install of XP, as it is my gaming computer and I don't use it for much else.