Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Iron Guard

Default UT2004 Help, slow load times, adrenaline combos etc (Unofficial Help)

Please Note, this is NOT official tech support, and the suggestions in this thread are not endorsed by Atari or Epic Games, use at your own risk! If you seek official help you can find it here!

Information to do with UT2004 :

whats the difference between UT2004 and UT2004 Special Edition?

SE has some mod/mapping training videos on the second dvd. The SE also comes with a head set, metal box and also some stickers. The SE is a limited edition.

How do I join a server my friend has hosted?

Firstly your friend must have all the correct ports opened (7777 UDP). Now find out what your friends IP is, you can ask him to go to windws > run > cmd > and type ipconfig. You will then have his IP, ask which port the friend will be hosting on. Now load up UT2004, in console type (console can be opened by the tilde key which is above tab ` or the ' key, which is the same key as @ ).

open xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:pppp

Where xxx is the IP and pppp is the port number. If the correct ports are not opened you will not be able to join the server.

Go to http://www.unrealadmin.org/ for more information.

UT2004 takes ages to load a level :

Preload Skin option can be the cause:

Having this set to the default option often increases load times by a lot, even with 1 GB of RAM sometimes it is worth disabling it.

The checkbox should be without a cross.

Defragmenting after install also helps.

Making UT2004 run faster:

Disabling reduce mouse lag gives a massive FPS boost, it is worth doing if you feel there is no difference in gameplay other than a higher FPS.

Weather Effects can be disabled (this helps alot to increase FPS)

Fog distance in the 'Display' tab can be reduced. Doing these thing's wont alter image quality much but you will notice a performance increase.

Decal stay, Physics Detail and Dynamic Mesh LOD can be set to Low.

Character Shadows can be set to None or Blob , this also helps alot to gain extra FPS.

Chracter Detail does not have to be set to the highest value, it drains system performance and is not needed, I set mine to 'Normal'. As long as Texture Detail, World Detail, Resolution, AA and AF are set quite high, the game will look good. For people with poor graphics cards it is worth disabling Anti Alising, this will be in your drivers options (read through graphics card manual) .

I do not sugguest using bright skins to increase performance, you will get to reliant on them and at the moment they are a clientside hack, which means anyone who is not running them does not see you as well as you see them. Wait for a proper bright skin mutator to come out.

I wrote a .bat file in notepad (which kills programs while UT2004 is running and they open again when it is closed). To do this open up notepad and write

Code:
    taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe 
    taskkill /F /IM type32.exe 

start /wait C:\games\UT2004\System\UT2004.exe 

start C:\Windows\explorer.exe 
    start C:\Games\UT2004\System\type32
    Type32 doesn't need to be used when I play, it is a driver program for my keyboard. Some people won't have it so don't add it if so. Edit the file directory , some people don't install their games to a C:\games folder. When you have done this you can save as a .bat in the UT folder, now make a shortcut of it and place it where you want. You can then change the icon of the shortcut (right click > properties etc). Now when you double click the shortcut it will kill explorer and whatever programs you have asked to be killed. When you exit UT2004, explorer will come back.

Typing 'preferences' in UT's console will allow you to alter the configuration of the game, this is usefull if you want to disable certain things.

My FPS doesn’t go higher than 90 online:

This is because the FPS is capped at 90, currently there is nothing you can do about it.

Basic Key setup (go through the user.ini and ut2004.ini files in the system folder, these can be opened in notepad) :

I have my keys arranged to ESDF instead of the default WASD. The idea of this is so that I have more keys around my movement keys which I set as binds to switch weapons.

Setting up mouse speeds:

Usually it is better to have a slower mouse speed rather than a fast one, when I set up my mouse I set my mouse mat so it was horizontal then from one end of the pad (about 20CM) to the other, the player would turn 180 Degrees. Shock rifles , Lightning gun, and sometimes Minigun require a slow mouse speed, however guns like Flak Cannon, Rockets and Bio Rifle, require a faster setting.

How to set up piped binds :

Key=pipedswitchweapon # | pipedswitchweapon #
    Key would be the key number so example “A=” .
    # = Weapon number. In the user.ini you should be left with some code like this

“A=pipedswitchweapon 9|pipedswitchweapon 4
    B=SwitchToLastWeapon
    C=pipedswitchweapon 7|pipedswitchweapon 5
    D=MoveBackward
    E=MoveForward
    F=StrafeRight
    G=pipedswitchweapon 6|pipedswitchweapon 3
    H=StrafeRight”

I set up the left and right square brackets as follows :

“LeftBracket=pipedswitchweapon 7 | pipedswitchweapon 5

RightBracket=switchToBestWeapon|pipedswitchweapon 8”
    I did this so that I could set the thumb buttons on my Intellimouse as left and right square brackets. It will look like this:

The middle button was set to “MiddleMouse=pipedswitchweapon 4” , this would then switch to shock rifle. A which is “A=pipedswitchweapon 9|pipedswitchweapon 4” switches between Shock Rifle and Lightning gun. This is useful for when you want to quickly change guns you just tap the A key again, which is directly to the left of the strafe left key.

For the Shock rifle I put in the information “[XWeapons.ShockRifle]
    bUseOldWeaponMesh=False
    ExchangeFireModes=0
    Priority=5
    CustomCrosshair=12
    CustomCrossHairColor=(B=0,G=0,R=255,A=255)
    CustomCrossHairScale=2.000000
    CustomCrossHairTextureName=Crosshairs.HUD.Crosshai r_Dot” the crosshair is then a red dot. The idea of this is so that when I try to do a shock combo, the red dot shows up on the shock core, where as with the white dot, you can’t see it. I set up a similar thing for each gun, just with a different colour crosshair, this also helps me to know which gun I am using. Gun display I have turned off too save space on the screen and it seems to have an effect on my aim.

Is it possible to record a match? Why are demo play backs so jerky?

Yes with UT2004 Demo record function it is possible, however this only works in the full game. To record yourself play which is known as a demo, open console and type

Demorec Filename
    Stopdemo

You will find that demos play back at 30 FPS and this is jerky , go through the UT2004.ini and find the settings

Code:

[Engine.DemoRecDriver]
    AllowDownloads=True
    DemoSpectatorClass=UnrealGame.DemoRecSpectator
    MaxClientRate=25000
    ConnectionTimeout=15.0
    InitialConnectTimeout=200.0
    AckTimeout=1.0
    KeepAliveTime=1.0
    SimLatency=0
    RelevantTimeout=5.0
    SpawnPrioritySeconds=1.0
    ServerTravelPause=4.0
    NetServerMaxTickRate=30
    LanServerMaxTickRate=30
    Change this to

Code:
    [Engine.DemoRecDriver]
    AllowDownloads=True
    DemoSpectatorClass=UnrealGame.DemoRecSpectator
    MaxClientRate=25000
    ConnectionTimeout=15.0
    InitialConnectTimeout=200.0
    AckTimeout=1.0
    KeepAliveTime=1.0
    SimLatency=0
    RelevantTimeout=5.0
    SpawnPrioritySeconds=1.0
    ServerTravelPause=4.0
    NetServerMaxTickRate=60
    LanServerMaxTickRate=60

To play the demo go to the community option in UT2004 and click demos.

To show FPS type stat fps in console

Pickups, Adrenaline Combos and complex moves:

Adrenaline Combos:

This question is frequently asked on the forum “Adrenaline Moves”
    Keep in mind that you have to press these key combos quickly.

Speed (makes you run faster): Forward , Forward , Forward , Forward
    Booster (gives health) : Back , Back , Back , Back
    Invisible (does what it says) : Right , Right , Left , Left
    Berserk (makes weapons shoot faster) : Forward , Forward , Back , Back
    Camouflage (does what it says) : Left , Left , Left , Left (Requires a mutator)
    Pint Sized (makes your head smaller) : Right , Right , Right , Right (Requires a mutator)

Getting up ramps in DM Rankin:

Learning this is quite useful for other maps, it is very easy to do once you know how. Create a new server so no one interrupts you then run facing 90 degress from the ramp, side step to the right (or left if the ramp is on the left), quickly, to boost dodge, then hit jump and you will get up.

Pickups:

The pickups like Amp and Armour etc spawn around every half minute and every minute, it is useful to time these things.

Cheating in Single Player:

If you cheat in single player you will no longer be able to access the hidden Characters.

There is a search button on the forum at the top right, it is worth using and also reading THIS can be worthwhile.

How to add buddys :

Go to the join server meny, click a random server with people in it. At the bottom right hand corner of the screen, right click a player and add to buddy list, you can then edit that name to the name of your buddy which you wish to add.

Problems when searching for servers :

As the game is new the master server somtimes doesn't respond, this being the case you don't get to view the available games to join. You can download http://www.udpsoft.com/eye2/index.html (the all seeing eye) which shows you a list of UT2004 servers. This is useful, it has filters too.

Some videos worth downloading:

http://badct.4players.de:1337/files.php?topicid=21
    Videos from Special_K , tropic and Azzures seem the best.

Internet Relay Chat:

Download mIRC ( www.mirc.com ) it might need registering I'm not sure. Install it then download NN script which can be found at www.nnscript.com , install NNscript into the mirc folder. Setup irc in the Tools>Options> connect - options. You will need to add a server called irc.quakenet.org

Now go to NoNameScript at top, click setup. Settings->AutoConnect click the arrow pointing to the right then click Quakenet server which you made. Click Q (Qnet) Auth automatically and Hide hostmask, you might want to Auth with Q later on. Now click ok.

Go to tools>options>connect-options>perform, click enable perform on connect. Network, click Quakenet, if it isn't there click add. Now in Perform Commands type

/join #planet-ng
    /join #ut2k4-cup
    /join #ut2004
    /join #un1ty
    /join #utleague.pickup
    /join #team.eso
    /join #lifestyle

(these are just a few of the available channels, I notice alot of people visit #ut2004)

Make sure your name is filled in, in the connect folder click ok.

go to the channels folder (has a green arrow going down). If it is ticked, untick pop up favourites on connect. Click ok.

Close the program , open it again.

Now it should join the server irc.quakenet.org and lots of channels, you can then people for help in #ut2004 which is the main channel I talk in. In #ut2004 you will be able to get pick up games. If you want a 2vs2 type !add 2v2 in the channel window and wait for a team to type !add 2v2, when 4 people have done this you will be given a server and an IP to play in.

NN Script can load ut2004 (and other games) by double clicking the IP, but you have to set this up. To set this up you click No Name Script, Games, game 1, then in game name Type UT2004. Away nick (is your name when you are in game, you can leave this as it is).

Game path "C:\program files\UT2004\System\UT2004.exe"

Commandline, on the right box click UT/UT2003/AA. Click ok then you are set, to join a server double click the IP then Click UT2004.
    Last edited by legacy-.InSanE.; 03-28-2004 at 09:35 AM.

Skaarj

Can you post a how to on voice chat, bot communication, etc?

Iron Guard

PM me what you need to know and I will try and put it up there.
    Last edited by legacy-.InSanE.; 03-22-2004 at 11:20 PM.

Skaarj

THX man thats alot of help :P

Jack

MSgt. Shooter Person

Default even faster loading

more tips on getting even faster loading times are found in my post :
    http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...hreadid=360368

there are also som others tips får ppl with GPFs and those tiny hiches during gameplay

Skaarj

Default Re: UT2004 Help, slow load times, adrenaline combos etc (Unofficial Help)

Originally posted by .InSanE.
    My FPS doesn’t go higher than 90 online:

This is because the FPS is capped at 90, currently there is nothing you can do about it.
    I've pushed well over 90 fps. In fact I've passed 150/160 fps a few times?

MSgt. Shooter Person

me too..
    150-160 is my record avg i think..
    but only in non teamgame modes

by the way sp2 for xp rocks get it now

Iron Guard

Online you havn't gone past 90. Well you shouldn't have anyway.
    Originally posted by BlueViper85
    I've pushed well over 90 fps. In fact I've passed 150/160 fps a few times?
    Single player I get 300 at times, not online though, it's capped.

Skaarj

how do you join servers that are hosted by other people. for instance if my friend and i decide to play ut2004, and he host's the game, how would i be able to join his game? i have tried looking for him in the server list.

(he has advertise server checked and he has a different servername other that ut2004 server, which is the default.)

Iron Guard

Edited first post, it is there now...

Skaarj

thanks InSanE! much appreciated info! :up:

Iron Guard

I added some other stuff "Making UT2004 run faster:"

Originally posted by PristineSmut
    thanks InSanE! much appreciated info! :up:

You're welcome

MSgt. Shooter Person

for the slow loading i have this proggy which works for now. its called RAM def XT and his this little option (Conservative swap file usage) which basically means that it should do most in RAM which brought the loading time down to around 10 sec.

testing some more now dunno if its any good. but loading went from 1 min to 10 sec so worth trying i guess

-Aso

technical itch
    I helped the community

i went thru UT2004.ini and User.ini and there is no line "bAutoDemoRec". what is it under?

Iron Guard

[XInterface.ExtendedConsole]
    bAutoDemoRec=False

Skaarj

if you look in the speech folder of your UT204 game you will see 5 (.xml) files (one for each game mode(i cant find the other 5 game modes.))

ctf = capture the flag
    ons = onslaught
    br = bombing run
    dom = domination
    tdm = team deathmatch

to read the file double click it
    the first set of information is the commands that can be given(you need a little bit of common sense to make it out.) the second set is what robot you can give it to.

for instance lets use capture the flag. if you want a robot to cover you you could say:
    "foxtrot, cover" and you will have your very own little robot to run away from... or acctually do your objective. a funny command is:
    "echo, suicide" you can probably guess what echo is gonna do.:bulb:

in case you did not know how to activate voice chat/ bot comm. press and hold the "F" button as default.

Skaarj

Default Re: UT2004 Help, slow load times, adrenaline combos etc (Unofficial Help)

How do I join a server my friend has hosted?

Firstly your friend must have all the correct ports opened (7777 UDP). Now find out what your friends IP is, you can ask him to go to windws > run > cmd > and type ipconfig. You will then have his IP, ask which port the friend will be hosting on. Now load up UT2004, in console type (console can be opened by the tilde key which is above tab ` or the ' key, which is the same key as @ ).

open xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:pppp

Where xxx is the IP and pppp is the port number. If the correct ports are not opened you will not be able to join the server.

Go to http://www.unrealadmin.org/ for more information.
    i still cant get to his game. it shows this

also do you always have to type in ":7777"? in UT you only had to type in the Ip

MSgt. Shooter Person

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    bAutoDemoRec=False
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Change it to

quote:
    AutoDemoRec=True

help , ut2004 crashed when it changes map

Iron Guard

Originally posted by Krige
    quote:
    bAutoDemoRec=False

Change it to

quote:
    AutoDemoRec=True

help , ut2004 crashed when it changes map
    Autodemorec was the only thing I did not test, my bad, ill edit it out if it doesn't work.

Originally posted by Carlos007

also do you always have to type in ":7777"? in UT you only had to type in the Ip
    When I join a server I type xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:pppp

Where x is the ip and p is the port, so yes if 7777 is the port then the answer is yes. It is worth trying with and withoutt he port number ( :7777 )

*edit* Ok edited.

Skaarj

Red face

Originally posted by AdamComic2

...if you want a robot to cover you you could say:
    "foxtrot, cover" and you will have your very own little robot to run away from... or acctually do your objective. a funny command is:
    "echo, suicide" you can probably guess what echo is gonna do.

in case you did not know how to activate voice chat/ bot comm. press and hold the "F" button as default.
    [/QUOTE]

What Carlos007 added in here is only good, assuming Voice Command is working already.

1) What all is necessary for Voice Command (for bots; not Voice Chat to people) to work? I have the CD set, and there was no headset/voice software included. I just installed the MS Speech SDK, but nothing. My Voice Chat works fine, so it's not the hardware at all.

2) What all needs to be set in UT2'4 and whatever voice software (more imphasis on the voice software)? They don't seem to detect each other automatically.

3) Is there any visual in-match indication that Voice Command is working (like how Voice Chat shows your mic's VU meter on the left while you hold the key down)? If so, what? So far, the other sound lowers, but that's all. Of course, whether or not the bots respond does not qualify as an answer to this.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    If these questions have been answered in other existing threads, please indicate the URL(s) of the thread(s) in here. Thanks...

Skaarj

Default Re: Re: UT2004 Help, slow load times, adrenaline combos etc (Unofficial Help)

If your friend is already on the server and is in your buddylist, you can try accessing his/her name in your list and dbl-clicking the showing server to get in. That's how we do it, w/ no prob.

Skaarj

Followup: To get Voice Command to work w/o having the SE version, see this link:

http://www.beyondunreal.com/content/articles/74_1.php

It has a link to the MS Speech SDK, as well as setup instructions.

Thanx to MasterBlaster73

MSgt. Shooter Person

Originally posted by aL_
    by the way sp2 for xp rocks get it now
    Where did you get SP-2 for XP? It's not out yet (I just checked Microsoft's website).

lol i know im wondering too....

Skaarj

Hey, Can I make the fov 130 ??? it maxes out at 100, in quake you could make it higher in the cfg file... any help would be appreciated!

Iron Guard

Nope you can't.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Originally posted by tigerdave
    Where did you get SP-2 for XP? It's not out yet (I just checked Microsoft's website).
    well its not released yet but a beta can be found here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Downloads/default.mspx

Skaarj

Default Hey, hey

I am happy I don't get any of those slows. My system is pretty moderate. Epox 8k5a2+ Motherboard, Nvidia GeforceTi4400, one gig of Pc 2700 ram Athalon 2600+(Barton) Soundblaster Live card.
    Cheap 250 power supply. No lag and hitches and I have everything on high.

Skaarj

Originally posted by WeblogiK
    Hey, Can I make the fov 130 ??? it maxes out at 100, in quake you could make it higher in the cfg file... any help would be appreciated!
    'fov XXX' from the console. It maxes out at 170.

I bound some keys to switch FOV:
    set input z fov 160
    set input x fov 120
    set input c fov 90

In single player you can set fov down to about 5 degrees (maybe less), in multiplayer you can't reduce it below 90.

MSgt. Shooter Person

As Many of the readers of this Forum seek a FPS upgrade.. and better performance.. I have a great tip for them.. which helped me bigtime..

StarStorm Nvidia ForceWare Drivers!!!!

Currently there are 3 versions of Starstorm drivers, they are:

XQ – Xtream Quality : The drivers have been tweaked to provide the Maximum Quality available and at the cost of a small Performance hit but owners of the high-end cards shouldn’t notice much loss. (These are recommended if you want the eye candy to look as clear and in high detail as possible while still maintaining optimal FPS) Once known as the Q driver.

X – Xtream Quality / Performance: The drivers have been tweaked to provide a performance increase and a Quality increase but not a big one. These will provide the best of both world’s but the increase in the IQ and Performance in a minimal one. These though are still slightly faster 0and have a higher IQ that the original NVIDIA drivers.
    (These are recommended for the new to StarStorm user or average user who wants some game fix’s and wants a small increase in IQ / Performance without getting a Hit in either) Once known as the P driver.

B – Benchmarking / Pure Performance: The drivers have been tweaked to provide a big boost in Performance with a big hit in IQ. (These are intended for increasing Benchmark scores and to provide some performance for the low-end cards which need it when it comes to graphics intense games) (If you use these drivers expect games to look desolated and sometimes crappy looking but run smooth) (Highly recommended for non-gamers who just want overall better system performance)
    //

I also tried the B, but they are TOO UGLY !! Durk tried them also .. also uninstalled them.

You can download them here:
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/

Iron Guard

No matter how many times I try to set PipedSwitchWeapon values in the User.ini, it won't take. Does the in-game settings automatically override the User.ini?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Originally posted by .InSanE.
    If you cheat in single player you will no longer be able to access the hidden Characters.
    Man... you mean if you just used one little cheat you can't get them? Not that I care, but that just pisses me off. They should have like a warning, or something... It's single player, so I really can't see what the harm is in using cheats just to have a little fun.

Skaarj

Default Re: Re: UT2004 Help, slow load times, adrenaline combos etc (Unofficial Help)

Originally posted by trs2988
    Man... you mean if you just used one little cheat you can't get them? Not that I care, but that just pisses me off. They should have like a warning, or something... It's single player, so I really can't see what the harm is in using cheats just to have a little fun.
    It's not like it matters. There's a bug with the locked characters which prevents you from unlocking them. Several people have investigated it thoroughly, and it's become obvious that it's a bug.

Skaarj

Is there anyway to listen to the music out of UT2004 that plays during the maps. The files are in .ogg format or sumthing. Is there a way to convert or a program that lets you listen to them?
    Last edited by legacy-Voltage192; 04-27-2004 at 03:21 PM.

Skaarj
    Originally posted by Voltage192
    Is there anyway to listen to the music out of UT2004 that plays during the maps. The files are in .ogg format or sumthing. Is there a way to convert or a program that lets you listen to them?
    yea download ace mega codecs package and you can watch and listen to anything i have come across so far...

and fo rmy own problems i have a e-GeFORCE FX 5700 ultra with 128mbs of ddr 2 and when im playing i notice yellow squares and lines all ove stuff like meshes and teraain i will include a picture of this too so please help me if you can wait i c that i cant post a picture so how exactly would i show you guys????

http://sv1.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/attach...&postid=581917 try that maybe it will work if i tdosent tell me i can find soemthign else out

Skaarj

Thanks dude it works

Skaarj

no problem man i probobally should have added that its easy to find with google but too late lol :bulb: ohh ace also makes a great music ripping program taht can rip anyhting inot an .ogg i think well mp3s and avis at least so head to the website for hat i feel that using your own music gives you an edge:noob:

Skaarj

Well it takes like ages to load a map for my laptop. I am running a p4 3.0 Ghz Windows Xp Media Center Edition. (AKA Professional it says in my system info) With 1024 meg ram.

I am using a NVDIA Geforce FX GoF5200 Vid card with 64. meg ram. I am using a Toshiba Satellite P25 laptop I have everything on normal except World texture I have set on high. I disable the preloading of characters and that didn't help. I am reformatting my hard drive now so hopefully that will work

MSgt. Shooter Person

hm.. make sure youve got the latest motherboard drivers for you laptop.. is it only unreal thats giving you slow hd preformace?

Skaarj

Ok reformatting didnt work...well when I first boot up it takes a min or two for it to fully load everything. Like MSN and Norton Antivirus and yahoo and such. Know any idea wher i can get the motherboard drivers at?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast