Skaarj

Default Retarded teammate bots

Ok... so I try everything. In Domination games, I have set my bots to any default setting they'll take, and the only one they ever obey is the "support" default. I'll tell them to defend the base (using voice command) and watch three of them run right past a point I'm holding to go attack the enemy point. Of course they're unsuccessful... and as soon as I leave to go take the enemy point, ours gets taken right behind me, no matter how many bots I left there.

I consistently have the highest kills out of both sides in Domination, and never have a problem defending a base for some amount of time without the help of my team-bots, but I do eventually die and need something else to support the point, and the bots just aren't doing it, nor are they successfully capping the other one. How do you freaking make them do what you want them to?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Default Re: Retarded teammate bots

Originally posted by ElPuerco
    default. I'll tell them to defend the base (using voice command) and watch three of them run right past a point I'm holding to go attack the enemy point
    Puerco, defend the base is an order for CTF, I don't think it'll work with DD. I think they have specific orders for DD such as "Take Alpha" or "Defend Bravo". Also, it works much better if you give individual bots orders rather than ordering them all to do something. For example, order Gorge to attack Alpha and he'll do that consistently.

However, keep in mind that bots are really useless in team games except for TDM where they will back you up. They suck at CTF, BR and DDOM. You're much better playing online even though there aren't that many DDOM servers compared to other game types.

Skaarj

Thankya. I'm just training myself for online play right now... figuring out the techniques. I've already learned to assign translocator to mouse3 and best weapon to mouse4. That change alone improved my game a LOT. I'll look into the bot commands again though.

Redeemer

There are no specific bot commands for DDOM and the bot A.I. is really stupid in that gametype.
    Online DDOM is played without translocator.
    Here´s a video to learn jumps and improved movement it will help you a lot if you go online (offline too). Its only 30MB.
    http://www.badct.de/dlredir.php3?id=1661&type=file

Skaarj

I'm more worried about combat in general than DDOM specifically. The bots responded much better in CTF (although there were a couple that would get stuck at certain points on one of the maps). I'm appreciating all the replies

MSgt. Shooter Person

I'm more worried about combat in general than DDOM specifically. The bots responded much better in CTF (although there were a couple that would get stuck at certain points on one of the maps). I'm appreciating all the replies
    Also, keep in mind that bots behave much better in the maps that came with the game compared to maps that were made by the community (like the ones in the User Maps and Mods section of this forum). Bot paths, generally, are better developed in the stock maps. For example, bots will do a decent job of getting the flag in maps like CTF-Chrome.

For your combat worries, screw the bots and hop online As your bum gets kicked, you'll learn very fast There are many beginner friendly public servers out there as well as many servers where extremely talented players play.

You can come and frag on our server anytime. <----Shameless self promotion Our server links can be found on our website:

.:vVv:.Clan Page

peace
    .:vVv:.Monkey

Veteran

SuperBots is your friend.

Skaarj

Having played rapid FPS games in the past, I'm starting to find that I haven't lost too much. I'm currently adjusting up from Planetside though, and I'm trying to regain the twitch aspect of the whole thing. I'd say it's coming along well, and I'll probably take you up on that offer to play on your server after I play some games on the highest couple of difficulty settings. I don't want to be TOO embarassed right off the bat.

Also, I've heard of Superbots from the forums here but am sort of unaware as to what it is. Mind giving me the rundown?

Veteran

http://www.ina-community.com/forums/...hreadid=306672

This mutator makes the bots play better. The most obvious changes are:
    -Bots dodge more
    -Bots dodgejump
    -Bots liftjump
    -Bots dodgejump for speed while moving
    -Bots keep track of important powerups (super shield, double damage, superweapons, etc) and will head for them as they spawn.
    -Bots take advantage of dodgejumping to take shortcuts
    -I added code for walldodging, but it's rare to see a situation where a bot could use it
    -Bots don't stupidly charge with shock rifle or instagib gun
    -Bots won't waste their spawn protection by firing right after they spawn
    -Bots use the shieldgun if they're near death and running towards health
    -and more!

Changes since v2.1
    -Fixed bots having trouble translocating to certain JumpSpots
    -Fixed liftjumping bots sometimes jumping too high
    -Bots actually take damage from impact jumping
    -Bots won't shoot at enemies obscured by distance fog

Skaarj

One other thing... is it just me or is it impossible to dodge while running forward? By this I mean... still holding the w key down, tap a twice. This won't work for me... is that intentional?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Default dodging

hmm sounds like you might have disabled dodging. It's under settings somewhere. Normally, when you're holding W down, you should be able to dodge left or right by double tapping A or D.

Skaarj

Two more questions, then I'm done.

I'm currently playing a bit above the level of an adept bot (this is judging by my performance in 1 on 1 against a bot) but when I play multiple bots on adept, they seem to gang up on me. Every single time I died on one map, it was because no less than two, usually three or four, of the bots were focusing fire on me. I mean... when you see two guys with plasma rifles and two with lightning guns firing at you, how are you supposed to survive? For this reason, it's hard as crap for me to beat some maps on adept level.

Secondly, how the **** do you get the ion painter to work?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Two more questions, then I'm done.

I'm currently playing a bit above the level of an adept bot (this is judging by my performance in 1 on 1 against a bot) but when I play multiple bots on adept, they seem to gang up on me. Every single time I died on one map, it was because no less than two, usually three or four, of the bots were focusing fire on me. I mean... when you see two guys with plasma rifles and two with lightning guns firing at you, how are you supposed to survive? For this reason, it's hard as crap for me to beat some maps on adept level.

Secondly, how the **** do you get the ion painter to work?
    1. Are you sure u're not playing team deatmatch against the bots? 1 vs 5 or something? heheh, if not, don't jump into middle of bots fighting with each other. They do like to go after the human player for whatever reason. Kill them either from a safe distance or don't engage until you have picked up extra armor and health vials

2. You have to hold still when you're firing the Ion Painter. Pick it up, point it at the GROUND and hold the primary fire button pressed until cannon fires. Of course I wouldn't suggest pointing it too close to yourself since you'll be vaporized in the process