MSgt. Shooter Person

Default Help Installing UT2003 on Linux

First things first, i do run UT2003 on windows, so my machine is capible of running the game.

I am running SuSE Linux 9.0 (all updated), and was trying to install UT2003 (so i can test a mod i am a part of, for linux) and i am encountering a few problems.

After i figured out how to mount/unmount my cdrom and everything, i go through the installer through console, and it keeps freezing in the same spot, every time:

Code:
     100% - /usr/local/games/ut2003/Web/images/t.gif
     100% - /usr/local/games/ut2003/Web/images/q_topright.gif
     100% - /usr/local/games/ut2003/Web/images/q_topmid.gif
     100% - /usr/local/games/ut2003/Web/images/q_topleft.gif
     100% - /usr/local/games/ut2003/Web/images/q_right.gif
     100% - /usr/local/games/ut2003/Web/images/q_mid.gif
     100% - /usr/local/games/ut2003/Web/images/q_left.gif
     100% - /usr/local/games/ut2003/Web/images/q_botright.gif
     100% - /usr/local/games/ut2003/Web/images/q_botmid.gif
     100% - /usr/local/games/ut2003/Web/images/q_botleft.gif
    (im not gonna pase it all, its well over 600 lines)

but that is where it stops on mine (after putting in cd1 and letting it run)

I'm not sure if this is the end of the install, or what to do after this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Also, i did rtfm, so dont tell me that either

MSgt. Shooter Person

try to run the installer as root from your home directory

MSgt. Shooter Person

I had problems too (also running SuSE 9)

I agree with Skinny_P, log in with the root account to install.

I copied the installer over from CD3 to my home dir, inserted CD1, and ran the installation. The problem is with mounting/unmounting CDs. I had the exact same problem with Red Hat 9.

Also, download the latest linux drivers for your card from your manufacturer's website.

I hope this is helpful.

When you can think of / instead of c:\ then you are ready for Linux!!

You can sow the seeds of distrust and lose yourself in an overgrown field

Skaarj

NtaC, Try this:

1. As root, edit the /etc/fstab file and comment out the line that has /dev/fd0 defined

2. Mount CD Three

3. cd into this directory (normally /mnt/cdrom - some systems, such as RedHat will auto-mount this for you and open a file manager - in the case of KDE)

4. Copy the linux_installer.sh to a directory that has enough available room (installer is about 17MB or so)

5. Unmount and eject CD Three and mount CD One

6. Go into the directory of the installer, and type:
    ./linux_client.sh
    This will extract the necessary files and load the installer.

7. Pick your install directory (if it asks you to create it, say 'yes') - remember that you must have WRITE permission in order to create/write to a directory - I would install the game as root, then simply run it as another user (this is what i did)

8. Click install - the installer will extract files to the directory you specified.

9. When it prompts you to enter Disc One, simply unmount and eject the cd, and put in Disc Two - Don't ask why this happens, but it was a very SMALL oversight, so don't worry about it.

10. Same thing as before, when it prompts you for Disc Two, simply eject cd two, and put in and mount cd three, and then click 'ok' - it should continue the install process

11. Enter in your cd key twice when it prompts you to, it will spawn a shell in order for you to do this. - If you fubar the entry, simply cd into the directory you installed into, and edit:

System/cdkey

with your favorite editor.

12. Last, but not least, make sure you read the README for details, THE MOST IMPORTANT PART IS ON THE UT2003 DEMO - If you have had this installed before, and were playing, remove the .ut2003 directory in your home directory, simply:

cd ~
    rm -rf .ut2003

This is necessary as if files are in there from the demo, the full retail version will not play

13. As root, edit the /etc/fstab file and put back the line that has /dev/fd0 defined

14. Enjoy the game