MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TroyN

Default Please Help! Ping spiking horribly for no reason.

At the beginning of every game on every server my ping spikes horribly to 600-999. For no reason. I've tried EVERYTHING I can think of to fix it. I have a router, no firewall, and i've tried opening every port. Here are my specs

Pentium 4 3.0ghz 800fsb with Hyperthreading Technology
    nVidia Geforce FX 5800 Ultra using ForceWare 52.16
    1024 DDR SDRAM PC3200
    Network Everywhere/Linksys NR041 Router

I don't think the router is the problem though. If i disconnect it, it still happens. This also happens in America's Army. (I'm assuming it has something to do with the Unreal Warfare engine.) Can anyone PLEASE help me? This is driving me insane.

legacy-If you see kay

maybe you have a virus?
    like the blaster worm?
    It was known to cause major ping spikes

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Nah, scanned for virii on two different programs. AVG and Norton. Also, it's only games that use the Unreal Warfare engine. Every other game works fine. I have alot of games to base that on. I just can't figure it out.

legacy-If you see kay

it just spikes at the first?
    like during the countdown it spikes, then its normal throughout the game?

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

No, right after the countdown is when it spikes. Then it stays at 600-999 for about 2 minutes. then it's fine. However during the countdown everytime the text flashes the game locks up for a second. That's a different story though.

legacy-If you see kay

i have that same lagg problem,i thought that might have been causeing your lagg,butt i dont have it last 2 minutes
    You might try defaulting your ut2003.ini
    sometimes it helps me when i start pinging bad
    have you tried running tracert?

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Never edited it, or my ArmyOps.ini.

legacy-If you see kay

no delete it
    next time you restart it will put a fresh default in its place
    but really that doesnt sound like the problem if both games are doing that
    try traceing a few server ips see if you have a bad hop

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Just reinstalled it. Fresh .ini. Had to get rid of a few bad skin files anyway. It STILL is doing the same thing. Also, it's every server. I've joined upwards of 100 servers checking. Same thing on all. And, with AAO. It's aparently something to do with the Unreal engine for sure. I have no clue what though. So, someone PLEASE help me.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Sorry to bump...but i cannot play the game. Someone here HAS to know a fix. Please help guys.

legacy-If you see kay

well since your just sittin there(lol) why dont you reformat,maybe it will help
    format c: then update all drivers

If that doesnt help,its a problem with your modem,router,provider,etc and not your pc
    sounds like a loose connection,If you have cable,check all your wiring.

Maybe have your provider check your wiring(if it a local cable company they might for free if you ask nice enough)
    Hook up straight from the main cable outside in the box>to your modem>to your pc,no splices.
    sometimes cheap cable or bad splices or bad eithernet cable, man its just so much sh!t your gonna have to troubleshoot yourself really,or have the cable company help you cause there will be no 1 absolute answer that anybody here can give you.

Good luck

If you do have cable that sounds like the problem-bad wiring.Ive had the same thing happen before.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Well I'm not just siting here, I do have a life. UT2003 is just about the only game i play in my spare time though. and it seems like if it was a problem with my modem, wiring, etc. it would happen in all games. Strangely enough it ONLY happens in America's Army, Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield, and Unreal Tournament 2003. Which just all happen to be running on the Unreal Warfare engine. I'm holding back on formating because i've got over 70 gigs of stuff i don't really want to lose. Can't back all that up. As of right now, i'm waiting on a tech support response from Atari. I wrote in to their tech support. When they tell me it's hopeless. I'll reformat.

I've also met 4 other people ingame that have the EXACT same problem as me. So i'm assuming there is some game/software we all have that conflicts with the Unreal Warfare engine. That's my best guess. I just wish I knew what

legacy-If you see kay

same here,I was able to play cs fine,but ut would actually spike into the 10,000s,turned out the main cable wire running to my house had a old rusty bad splice and was loosing contact
    I would ask your broadband provider as well,dont get irate see if you can just talk to them about it,If there cool maybe a gamer like yourself they will help.
    ask them for a tech to come out and look over your wiring(possibly for free,they did for me and replaced 100 ft of cable for free)
    atari tech support could take weeks,and they would prolly say that basic things youve allready been told.

reformat lol
    just burn your stuff off

Skaarj

Originally posted by SEALs-TroyN
    Nah, scanned for virii on two different programs. AVG and Norton. Also, it's only games that use the Unreal Warfare engine. Every other game works fine. I have alot of games to base that on. I just can't figure it out.
    That's very disappointing that this has been a problem for all Unreal based games and they haven't fixed it. I'm having the same effect and have some evidence that it's the result of your service provider using a Packet Shaper, which limits certain kinds of internet traffic or prevents certain malicious uses of it. For example, if UTs traffic looks too much like Nabster or a multi-channel denial of service attack, the packet shaper will either limit the bandwidth more and more over time or cut it off entirely. That's why us poor saps start at 300-600 and very steadily our ping rises into the 1000s. I'm on Stanford campus myself and have confirmed with the networking people here that they have Packet Shapers that produce this effect.