Redeemer

Default Is it possibe/legal to modify the original content?

Would it be possible to say, swap a weapon model for a stock weapon with your own? Or re-texture gorge?
    I'm asking because I really dislike the look of the shock rifle, and want to replace it with something more evil looking

Iron Guard

Perfectly legitimate, especially for your own use. Only two things - changing a weapon model is a bit more tricky than putting a custom skin on Gorge, and depending on how you do it, either change could give you problems connecting to servers.

The player skin will be fine if you create it as a custom one rather than modifying the stock texture package.

For the weapon, you'll have to wait for a reply from someone who's worked with weapon models but I believe everything's tied together in a script, so you can't just change a value to tell it to use a different model. UT2004 will supposedly have variant weapon models which you can select in-game without affecting the server.

Redeemer

Thanks, thats what I wanted to know.
    Not that I would want to re-texture gorge, but I was just using it as an example (What more default than Gorge? ).
    If I were to modify the shock rifle model, I was planning on just replacing the actual model instead of modifying a script or something, which would save me some work, but I worry that , as you said, will have problems getting onto online servers.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I'm no expert but as I understand it, to make a new model for a new weapon you code the new model into the script for the new weapon.

So if you wanted to change the model for the weapon I think you would need to make changes to the code for the ShockRifle.

Which like you say, will prolly coz all manner of problems when connecting on-line.

Default Re: Is it possibe/legal to modify the original content?

Originally posted by Fuzzlebunny
    Would it be possible to say, swap a weapon model for a stock weapon with your own? Or re-texture gorge?
    I'm asking because I really dislike the look of the shock rifle, and want to replace it with something more evil looking
    You can write it as a mutator that only replaces the shock rifle with whatever weapon you make.

Redeemer

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever replace the original content. Make a mutator that adds in your new shock rifle, but don't actually change the original data.