Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nolfolk in Chance

If your going to do a remake, this is what it should be like.

You can never please everyone so dont worry about the crits.

Nice job.

Redeemer

hell what can i say fordy, i just went and played ctf-eternalcaves on ut on ig, omg i forgot just how ugly that thing was lol, and then i played your map, i was like, holy s.hit. dont listen to the critiques, you've done an excellent job, i have no clue what more eyecandy they could ask for, unless its emitters or coronas me addicted to those but hell they'd only blind you while playing right? i'd say this is epic quality, or DE quality. not more, not less. now you need to get that darned morbias level optimized and get going on DM-saratoga! no rest for fordy

Skaarj

nice job Fordy! you have any plans for another CTF map?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks im not worried about the crits, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Im not doing anymore remakes though

As for another CTF Map, I hope so but im concentraiting on character modelling/animation & brushing up my photoshop/painter skills for a while yet

legacy-ANOK 4?

Fantastic remake! 5 stars! A++++++!!!!!!!!! :up: :up:

Redeemer

lol peace dude just give it an A+ lol

Redeemer

Looking extremely good...I wish I could play it.

legacy-Desperado#2/Rog

Originally posted by MCCCXXXVII
    sorry to bash you but :

-I said this months ago, I know its your first map, and its really...
    I would have to agree with most of his comments. :...(

This map was looking amazing at the start, but it could have been a lot more. Putting details on ceiling areas and walls would not kill gameplay. If you are good enough to put blocking volumes were you do not want to have people snag up with details you can add all the detail in world.

Good examples are old quake3 maps. Or the new maps for UT2k4.

Lighting is bland also. Not enough contrast by either dark and light or colors.

Solid map, but average compared to what you could have done with this map and the engine.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I just wanted you to know that the announcer problem is still happening when the red flag is taken and they fall off the ledge into the lava. I play it in pugs when its my turn to choose maps and everytime we play it, it does this at least 2-3 times and it is very annoying. I wish epic can fix this if it is their fault but if its something you can fix I wish you would because as much as I love your map this annoying announcer will keep it from being played and I would really hate that especially after all the nice work you have done to make it. If you cant make the announcer do that and want to hear it you can stop by my irc channel on irc.progameplayer.com #z0ne and I can set a server and get it to do it for you. Thx

Redeemer

Thanx, Fordy!!! :up:

WOW, thanx!!!! :up:

Iron Guard

i've got just one thing to say:

I LOVE THIS MAP!!!

great work Fordy! please keep on mapping... it would really be a waste of talent if you'd stop... :up:

MSgt. Shooter Person

Desp.. I never wanted to create a mapping masterpiece, just an updated but decent version of the original that could be played on UT2003, as such iv achieved everything I set out to do & learned a whole lot of new things in the process

bkansas.. I have heard this sometimes happens on 1 or 2 epic maps so it's probably not entierly my fault with the announcer. I have played that level more than anyone & I have still to recreate that problem. If I cant recreate the problem I cant fix it either

MSgt. Shooter Person

Do you play it over the network or in instant action...That may be why you can't recreate what happens 2-3 times each time I play it on my server with 9 other players. I just don't want this map to go to waste since I think it is the best "custom" or "remake" map made yet. You think epic or whoever actually read these forums so they could maybe fix the bug? I really haven't heard that bug on any epic maps but I have heard it on one other ramake map ctf-scandinavium_reborn.

Redeemer

Good Job! :up:

MSgt. Shooter Person

Originally posted by bkansas
    Do you play it over the network or in instant action...That may be why you can't recreate what happens 2-3 times each time I play it on my server with 9 other players. I just don't want this map to go to waste since I think it is the best "custom" or "remake" map made yet. You think epic or whoever actually read these forums so they could maybe fix the bug? I really haven't heard that bug on any epic maps but I have heard it on one other ramake map ctf-scandinavium_reborn.
    I think it's an inherent problem in 2k3 when the flag gets automatically returned. The thing is this map automatically returns the flag more than any other map out there because of it's nature. It must also be specific to some hardware or setting because some people never get it.

PS - I get it in instant action all the time.

Redeemer

i never had that announcer error too

but why do dead players not burn when they fall into the lava ?
    (like in ctf-magma) :cry:

legacy-Desperado#2/Rog

Originally posted by Fordy
    Desp.. I never wanted to create a mapping masterpiece, just an updated but decent version of the original that could be played on UT2003, as such iv achieved everything I set out to do & learned a whole lot of new things in the process

bkansas.. I have heard this sometimes happens on 1 or 2 epic maps so it's probably not entierly my fault with the announcer. I have played that level more than anyone & I have still to recreate that problem. If I cant recreate the problem I cant fix it either
    You still had more freedom Poly wise and places where the player could not even reach to put plants and other details.

Map is solid but could have been a lot better with visuals and it would have not affected FPS or gameplay. Either way you have learned a lot from this map I bet and can not wait to see more from you. At least your considering gameplay more than other map designers and that is a good note.

Redeemer

Originally posted by supernewbie
    i never had that announcer error too

but why do dead players not burn when they fall into the lava ?
    (like in ctf-magma) :cry:
    i'm guessing its a fps matter? skeletons take up alot of polys not to mention the sudden new static mesh apearing out of nowhere in the map falling and coliding with stuff.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Originally posted by Desperado#2/Rog
    At least your considering gameplay more than other map designers and that is a good note.
    I agree with Rog - too many people focus on looks, especially with the UT2k3 engine, if only because it's easier to build a pretty map then to make a killer playing one.

I liked what you did with EternalCaves, although I do agree it's a bit spartan in places, but I've seen what you're capable of and you're next map will kick arse in the looks department too I bet

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks you two, I doubt there will be many more maps from me in the near future though, I take too long over them
    Last edited by legacy-Fordy; 08-28-2003 at 11:14 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Default -

This map is good enough for Clanbase iCTF Open Cup and so rightly deserves a spot in every server. FPS come way before eyecandy, and this map delivers extremely smooth framerates (I can't find spot in map where it gets below 100, kudos for that) and clean, polished look. More maps like this are sorely needed. This is much better than most retail maps in terms of playablility and as a map it's a good one. Now make great remakes of Gauntlet (Drunklet is ugly and somewhat problematic with spawn points) and Dreary (there is a beta floating around but it's not nearly ready yet). And Red Dward should get his Coret finished.

Z.

Redeemer

lol did you read? he's not doing another remake or so he says

MSgt. Shooter Person

No, very definatley no more remakes. I dont want to be known purely for remakes, originality is what's needed

Redeemer

heh thought so, happy to hear it

MSgt. Shooter Person

Originally posted by Fordy
    Thanks you two, I doubt there will be many more maps from me in the near future though, I take too long over them
    You and me both pal

Redeemer

Smile

Good thing I still have my Audigy2 because I love the reverb. This is a good remake with slight changes for UT2003 (I believe just as good as the other UT2003 one). I like the details of the caves in this one with the tree roots, spider webs, rock structures, mud cracks and lava. The gameplay is just as fun as the original with the bots being good and can somewhat defend.

Redeemer
    Metro Manila, Philippines, Southeast Asia

Smile

Hmm, this thread is 9 years old mate (), but still, this is a good remake from the good ol' UT99 map by XceptOne, probably this map is for UT2003 (always worked with UT2004 also I noticed). I've played both this UT2003 and the UT99 version of the map and I've enjoyed them.

New download links:
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/44039...alcaves2k4_zip
    http://unrealtournament2004.filefron...Caves2k4;18089

New screenies:
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    Last edited by Private Tux; 05-18-2012 at 02:11 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Tux Android View Post
    probably this map is for UT2003 (always worked with UT2004 also I noticed). I've played both this UT2003 and the UT99 version of the map and I've enjoyed them.
    I think that "2k4" in the map name is a serious hint as to which game this version is for
    Quite busy at the moment. If you need to contact me for whatever reason, feel free to PM/email me, that will be the quickest solution.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Ah, good to see the revival of the good oldies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12