legacy-BDC]AmbiantByte

Exclamation will an agp video card work in a pci slot?

Hi, i am getting a new video card for ut2003, and my computer only has pci but I was wondering if an agp card would work in a pci slot because pci works in isa.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I don't think so...

Prisoner 849

Nope, AGP is totally different from PCI and it's not just the slot format. Someone else more experienced about it can give you more technical details if you want. Just don't buy an AGP card if your computer doesn't have an AGP slot.

legacy-dsimitas

Red face

You may find a decent card for PCI but dont expect top fram rates even if they have the same name

MSgt. Shooter Person

FX5200 is PCI and Radeon8500 I think...

legacy-BDC]AmbiantByte

that sucks, then why dose pci work in isa?

Redeemer

I've never seen a PCI card that also works in an ISA slot... unless adaptors exist that I don't know about, but that would be pretty funky as well, because then the card probably wouldn't fit the case.

Hi, i am getting a new video card for ut2003, and my computer only has pci but I was wondering if an agp card would work in a pci slot because pci works in isa.
    If your PC is stuck with just PCI slots, either

a) take it back to where you bought it, and kick the person who sold it to you in the nads, or
    b) sell it/donate it/throw into oncoming traffic, and get yourself real PC.

Even if you got an AGP card working in a PCI slot, the performance would still suck - a PCI slot runs about the same bandwidth as an AGP slot at 1x.

I'm guessing this is a pre-built? Can we see some other system specs? I'd hate to think that PCs without AGP slots are still being built and sold.

MSgt. Shooter Person

PCI won't work in ISA but there are certain "special slots" that cn take both... they are rather seldom coz nobody needs isa right? *g* with a PCI 5200 you'll get ut2003 to work... and if your cute "that sucks" belonged to those card... just be quiet and buy a new mainboard....

Skaarj

Default Re: will an agp video card work in a pci slot?

Originally posted by BDC]AmbiantByte
    No they won't work in a PCI slot. How about some more specs about your system? My guess is that if your PC does not have an AGP slot then it is quite old (in computer years anyway). Because of that, the processor alone must be ancient so a new fancy video card isnt going to help much. Especially since UT2003 seems to be processor limited a bit. I have a Radeon 9700 and no matter what resolution I use I get the same FPS. It only increased when I upgraded the processor.

I would upgrade your motherboard and processor before spending the money on a video card.

-Nighthawk