Thread: Plusing Lights.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Default Plusing Lights.

I created some lights and wanted them to blink the way running lights on aircraft do, so I set the LightType under the Lighting to LT_Pulse. It pulses properly in the Prespective View viewport, but not in the game. Is there some other setting I need to adjust to make it blink properly? I tried a rebuild all, no help. lol

Dynamic lighting doesn't work right, so all those light types are obsolete. Use Projectors instead.

MSgt. Shooter Person

:cry:

Er... okay. Thanks!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Crap, ok so I built a light using a projector, but it still doesn't pulse in the actual level. I set up the light the same way as I did with a normal light, using the LightType under the Lighting set to LT_Pulse. Do I have to change something else? I tried looking at the Projector Tutorial, but it doesn't seem to cover this really.

legacy-elvez

did you rebuild your scene before you tested. also try another setting like flicker to see if it works.

MSgt. Shooter Person

TriggerLights!

TriggerLights work. Pulsing, flickering, etc... do it with TriggerLights!:up:

Originally posted by AkumuX
    Crap, ok so I built a light using a projector, but it still doesn't pulse in the actual level.
    You did what? No, I didn't mean set up a Projector as a light, the light types are obsolete no matter what actor you use. You need to apply an animated texture to the projector. There's a special kind of texture that just oscillates back and forth between two colors that you can use.

Skaarj

emitters are also good for this business

MSgt. Shooter Person

TriggerLights

I say again, TriggerLights. TriggerLights will support LightTypes, though not LightEffects. Lighting --> LightType = LT_Pulse, and TriggerLight --> bInitiallyOn = True. Voila, a pulsing light. Very cool. I used one in my first level, and I just now threw one into another level to make sure they still work. They do. Now, if you throw a corona on there, the corona won't pulse along with the light, but the light will still pulse. TriggerLights rock. Enjoy!

Redeemer

Default Re: TriggerLights

Originally posted by Raptor2113
    I say again, TriggerLights. TriggerLights will support LightTypes, though not LightEffects. Lighting --> LightType = LT_Pulse, and TriggerLight --> bInitiallyOn = True. Voila, a pulsing light. Very cool. I used one in my first level, and I just now threw one into another level to make sure they still work. They do. Now, if you throw a corona on there, the corona won't pulse along with the light, but the light will still pulse. TriggerLights rock. Enjoy!
    Raptor :up:

You da man. This works.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Yep, that worked, thanks Raptor2113!

legacy-Streetgrime

Default I almost vomited from Stress...

Then I read Raptors e-mail...

InintallyOn = True .... ahhh... That rules...

Thanks Raptor!!

Redeemer

youre asking for bad performance and uglylighting. dynamic lights are evil. remember in UT where you could see the purple glow of the udamage through a wall? thats what dynamic lights do. they WILL cause problems. not to mention theyre slow, lol. the options were taken out for a reason, just like the reason people cant fly. people have hard enough time driving in a 2d plane, add a third dimension and youre asking for trouble. leave the lights alone.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Post yeah, but...

true... but for those times when you just gotta have em... they're there

Iron Guard

Default Re: yeah, but...

Originally posted by Raptor2113
    true... but for those times when you just gotta have em... they're there
    Not true, I dont think theres any times you've GOTTA have them.
    AFAIK you can do just about ANY effect you wanted from a dynamic light with a combination of either emitter or an emitter plus a projector.
    For instance a pulsing "alarm" light I would just use an emitter and maybe a projector for the (moving) shadows needed.
    Yes it is a lot harder to set this up, but the effect will be a lot nicer, dynamic lights were (semi) disabled for good reasons (all mentioned above).

MSgt. Shooter Person

Default Re: Re: yeah, but...

Originally posted by FOZZI
    ... For instance a pulsing "alarm" light I would just use an emitter and maybe a projector for the (moving) shadows needed.
    Could you explain a bit how you would set this pulsing alarm light up, cause thats just what I need atm. THX

Iron Guard

Default Re: Re: Re: yeah, but...

I think I just did didnt I?
    You could do the whole thing with a projector, or with an emitter and a projector.
    I think personaly I would just use one projector for performance reasons.
    UDN Projective Tutorial
    FZ

MSgt. Shooter Person

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by FOZZI

Not true, I dont think theres any times you've GOTTA have them.
    AFAIK you can do just about ANY effect you wanted from a dynamic light with a combination of either emitter or an emitter plus a projector.
    For instance a pulsing "alarm" light I would just use an emitter and maybe a projector for the (moving) shadows needed.
    Yes it is a lot harder to set this up, but the effect will be a lot nicer, dynamic lights were (semi) disabled for good reasons (all mentioned above).
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh Yea!!

I definitely needed them TriggerLights in my Thunderstorm map.

Only problem with TriggerLights is that they do not create shadows.