Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Single player DLC

16 42.11%
  • Multi player DLC

22 57.89%
    legacy-Digiman

Default Linux Editor Request

I have emailed Tech Support to request a linux version of the UT2003 Editor, UPaint and all the other editing tools. I have told them that I would gladly pay for something like this as a seperate product for the Linux Community. I am curious as to how many of you that run Linux would also pay a little extra to have this capability.

Obviously, they are not going to do it on there own with out incentive, since it isn't a "high priority." Well, I think it is a high priority because as far as I am concerned they didn't create a editor at all since I don't use Microsoft products. I feel that I would rather give them another $50 dollars for a UT 2003 editing environment then spend another penny on microsoft.

So, who's with me?

-- Digiman

Super Moderator

not going to happen most likely

bill gates would have to fund it for them to do it :haha::up:

just give in... get XP professional
    "I are serious developer. This is serious post."
    Phil Cole
    Pixel Pusher
    Epic Games

legacy-Digiman

Default Linux Request

We need more people that think of a glass half-full not half-empty reading this post. I realize it's a long shot, but I want to try. I will never quit on Linux to use Windows, that's my option it may not be others.

Like they say nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Veteran

then you waste your productive years waiting for something that never comes...use what's now..and still encourage change....but don't just stay out of the pool baking...waiting for the diving board..just use the ladder and enjoy the water.

I'm not against Linux..but don't fight windows....Bill will crush you.

MSgt. Shooter Person

That's exactly the kind of attitude that keeps Linux from being as useful to the average desktop user as it could easily be. Developers don't bother...not because Linux is any less a decent operating system, but because there are so many people who settle for what has been shown to be "ok as it is".

As far as UEd goes, I think it doesn't work under OpenGL, so it may take a lot of work to code it for Linux. Personally I'm still going to continue using Windows more often unless Lightwave is ported to Linux.

legacy-XavC

This very subject is being talked about on the Icculus Linux ut2k3 bug mailing list.. word from the Linux developers is that they have the rights and the source to the editing tools, but it would require far too much time to port. I'd rather have the limited Linux resources working on fixing bugs/finishing the game than on tools a tiny minority will use.

FWIW, this is a multi- month job for someone *extremely* familiar with the
    Editor.

-- Daniel, Epic Games Inc.
    I admit, it would be nice though.. I'd be tempted to use them if I didn't have to reboot each time.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Originally posted by XavC
    This very subject is being talked about on the Icculus Linux ut2k3 bug mailing list.. word from the Linux developers is that they have the rights and the source to the editing tools, but it would require far too much time to port. I'd rather have the limited Linux resources working on fixing bugs/finishing the game than on tools a tiny minority will use.

I admit, it would be nice though.. I'd be tempted to use them if I didn't have to reboot each time.
    ---------------
    more than nice its needed...and its deserved as everyone knows most games run more stable in linux than windows because the OS itself is more stable..I USE windows XP home on /dev/hda but I USE linux 99% of time if not because I believe in OSS and I love the communoity of users and well..its just plain more stable and I can 'develop' in a OS environment without a: paying bill for a stub-standard IDE ..

as I say I still 'have' windows but if an editor wont work 'in' linux ..I wont use it period.

which means i'm spending ( unless it works in wine??? ..acceptable but NOT ideal or desireable at all) most of my editing time in neverwinter nights using : nwwine nwtoolset.exe or other shareware games that have editors ;-)

so come on epicgames..give us the clients which we ALL appreciate..but why not the editors too..??

if you build them..TRUST ME they will come...

;-)

l888r
    leeboJAMMIN
    -====

MSgt. Shooter Person

Originally posted by willhaven
    not going to happen most likely

bill gates would have to fund it for them to do it :haha::up:

just give in... get XP professional

What he said :up:

MSgt. Shooter Person

i would like a linux editor and equal OpenGL integration.

REMF

MSgt. Shooter Person

Is there a reason why Ued can’t go open source like radiant?

Boomshot

I would like to see a Linux editor. I don't use Linux, but nonetheless, seeing a company support multiple platforms gives me greater faith in their dedication to their customers. Of course Epic already do quite well there in that the game itself runs on Windows, Mac and Linux.

Default me too

I want a linux edito tooo. plse.....Come on and do it. You know you can. Isnt cross platform supposed to mean....cross platform?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Digging up this old thread just to see if there's any news?

Over the last few months I've pretty much dumped Windows entirely, and can't say I miss it.
    UT2004demo runs better than ut2003 ever did for me on Win, and now I'm planning to start work on some snazzy new vehicles....and hoping they won't end up being mere static meshes.

Prisoner 849

Alright i'm not using Linux and im not gonna until really every game is working on it. But i can understand you linux people, wanting a linux based hmm development kit
    But i think... there aren't enough who want such an kid, that epic could make any profit of it....

MSgt. Shooter Person

Do they gain any profit by making the dev tools available to windows users?
    It doesn't necessarily need to be Epic doing the port anyway...the open source community has proven countless times that there are thousands of capable programmers willing to work on such projects for enjoyment, education, and for the sake of advancing a great product.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I am not a linux user but i am a mac user. so id be glad if it came out for luux instead of mac sinc emac is basically unix / linux and all that stuff in its core. But im afiad the moon will probably explode before a mac or a linux version rises from the flames...

Redeemer

I wouldn't use it but still.... It'd be a really cool addon!

Boomshot

An open source UEd would offer much potential. With 64bit computers likely to become increasingly common and Linux being the only 64bit platform that UT2004 runs under, it would be very nice to be able to compile a Linux port of UEd to run in 64bit too.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Default reply

my mac G5 is 64 bit so thats not really true.it runs on a mac 64 bit computer. im sure of it cuase i have it!!