Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    MSgt. Shooter Person

ur my new god :haha:

legacy-m.h 1982

Thanks for the tutorial! helped me getting started. What I really need now is a tut to import static meshes/brushes from maya 4/ maya ple/ 3dsmax. look at my thread;
    http://www.ina-community.com/forums/...hreadid=224005

Skaarj

What's this thread doing on the 4th page?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Noctivagus is tha man :up:, he did the impossible, learn me to make a map

MSgt. Shooter Person

Default Re: At Lo-o-o-o-ong last...

Originally posted by Noctivagus
    Hey Folks,

Part 6 of the tutorial is finished, but it's only Part I of the terrain tutorial, which covers the basics along with how to generate quick terrain. I plan to have Part 7/Part II of the terrain tutorial finished tonight. It shouldn't take nearly as long to finish as the first, so hopefully by the time you work through the first part, part 2 will be ready.

I'll keep you all posted.

And, if you find any technical errors in the tutorial, let me know.

Also, I didn't want to clutter up this board with an off-topic message for this, so I figured I'd post a request here. Is there anyone out there who has a little background in PHP web programming that would be willing to devote a little time? There are a couple of things I'd like to have set up for my PlanetUnreal website, and I'm at a loss when it comes to this. I wouldn't demand a lot of your time--just a little help with getting the scripts to work correctly on the website. If you're interested, let me know at Noctivagus@mindspring.com, and we'll discuss how you might be able to lead this blind man to the PHP light. Thanks!

Take care,
    Noctivagus
    I know I will sound like a pest, but how is part 7 doing?
    Great job!!!

legacy-Noctivagus

Just to update everyone...Part 7 is taking a little longer than I expected, in case you hadn't noticed. But, not to fret--it's nearly finished. All I have to complete is a section on visibility, then I'll upload it. I started to include more such as how to create skyboxes and how to put sunlight, but I think I'll save that for Terrain, Part III. Part 7 is already much longer than I'd planned...(that seems to be the case with all the tutorials I've written so far...I guess that just means I'm a blowhard. :haha: )

Noctivagus

legacy-varIant

Default Great Job

Great job bro - Pez - if you listenin' make this topic sticky man! It needs to stay up there for all the new guys

legacy-Noctivagus

Default Part 7 up and ready to go...

Hey folks,

Part 7 is posted and ready for you to tackle. Sorry it took longer than expected. I hit a little snag as a couple of you emailed me to say you were having problems sizing the terrain using the XScale and YScale method. So, I wanted to be able to post another workable solution for you just in case you run into this problem. It seems that sizing the terrain from the terrain editor sometimes causes the UED to crash (imagine that). I'm not really sure why this is, but after a little research and a couple of test runs, I found another method that should work. Just make sure you SAVE A LOT as you're working.

The link for the new tutorial is http://www.planetunreal.com/architec...vel_part7.html .

Enjoy!!

Take care,
    Noctivagus

legacy-badgimli

This is clearly the best tutorial out there.

Great job.

Please keep expanding and added new sections. A true Master Mapper.

MSgt. Shooter Person

These tutorials are great. Please keep them coming - thanks.

One problem I had with tutorial 6. Even though I followed the instructions explicitly, the horizontal size of the terrain was smaller than the first subtracted cube. In other words the terrain did not fill the 4096 x 4096 cube horizontally - it was more like 3968 x 3968.

Did anyone else notice this? Is it a bug in the editor or did I do something wrong? I repeated the tutorial several times and got the same result.
    Last edited by legacy-marith; 10-28-2002 at 07:20 PM.

legacy-Kurgan26

Hi Noctivagus,

I used to make quake III Maps.
    I'm not realy a newbie at map making.

But when I opened the unreal 2003 editor I didn't know where to start.

Your tutorials are helping me a lot.

Thx verry much.

Kurgan26

Redeemer

Thanks again for the tutorials. Truly excellent work.
    I had most of the terrain editing sorted before the tutoraial came out but its has clarified a few key points for me. My map is about 50% done and when it is done I will post here.
    Couldnt have done it without you.

Just hope no-one has had the same idea as me!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Default UPDATE!!!

Parts 6 and 7 have been added to the DOC and PDF formats, and sent to Andy and Donka. Links should be somewhere on this thread (which the mods need to sticky).

MSgt. Shooter Person

Default phew!

That did feel like a rough ride!
    But well done dude!! Im not scared of the dirt any more!!

Great job!!:up:

legacy-MannyFresh027

ive strayed from the tutorial level, but noctivagus' tutorial is really helping me on my big BR level. its an ambitious project for my first time, but its turning out real good. ill be sure to include a special thanks somewhere in my level :P

legacy-kevlar69

Thanks again for a great tutorial. You said to point out any problems if there were any, well here are my minor problems.

1, when I create a new texture layer in the terrain editor, a get a warning that a texture has to be selected first, so I have to pick the texture required then click new, not the other way around. ( very minor point, and something that may be my fault.)

2, I feel the tutorial went off at 100 mph at the end when it came to placing the static mesh and cutting out the hole. I find this part extremely difficult, if not impossible without making a complete hash of it. Again this is probably down to me being useless.

cheers again for the tutorial.

Kevlar69

Redeemer

Kevlar69.

It is all there in the tutorial I can assure you.Take your time and fiddle with it.
    I am not bragging but I sussed most of this with no tutorial.

Good luck.

PS.Wait till you get a problem like this and no one knows what to do!
    http://www.ina-community.com/forums/...hreadid=225841

legacy-kevlar69

I eventually completed the terrain tutorial, and have linked the main room with the terrain room, but now the lighting has gone weired in the main room. I assume this is because of the ambient lighting in the outdoor section spilling over into the indoor section. At the end of the tutorial it says that lighting for the outdoor section will be sorted next. I just wanted to check that what has happened to my indoor lighting is normal.

Anyone?

Kevlar69

legacy-Choc

Great tutorial.

Thanks once again

Regards Choc:up:

legacy-MannyFresh027

this new terrain tutorial really helped my map. my map used to be really ugly, but now it looks pretty good. now check the sig and comment on it :P

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thank you sooo much for this tutorial!

It is the best i have found so far and really helped me to get started.

Jeeez you should write a book about the Unreal Editor

legacy-Noctivagus

Originally posted by kevlar69
    I eventually completed the terrain tutorial, and have linked the main room with the terrain room, but now the lighting has gone weired in the main room. I assume this is because of the ambient lighting in the outdoor section spilling over into the indoor section. At the end of the tutorial it says that lighting for the outdoor section will be sorted next. I just wanted to check that what has happened to my indoor lighting is normal.
    Yup...you hit the nail on the head. Once you connect the terrain with the level, the editor thinks it's all one zone, therefore it lights it as such.

There are a couple of ways you can fix it.

First, you can always just go into the zoneinfo actor you added with the terrain and reset ambient brightness back to 0. Then, you can add placer lights in your terrain until you work on real lighting.

Second, you can make the indoor part into a new zone. Use a sheet brush and make it large enough so that it covers the entire entrance to your indoor level. Then, click on the "Special Brush" button in the CSG Operations. From there you'll be given a new window with several different prefab options in a drop-down box. Choose Zone Portal from the drop down box and click "ok." So long as you have the entire door covered, this will tell the editor that the indoor part of your level is a new zone. There's a button on the title bar of the Perspective viewport that allows you to see the zones. Click on it, and if you see two separate colors in your level--one color for the terrain zone then a second color for you indoor part--then you're good to go. However, if you don't see one, double-check to make sure that your zone portal is covering every entrance into your indoor section.

Hope that's not too confusing for you...

Take care,
    Noctivagus

legacy-Lt_Leadcock

Thumbs up Awesome tut!

Thanks again for the great tut!!

I have 1 wordfor your next tut. MOVERS

legacy-kevlar69

Cheers Noctivagus, a mini tutorial just for me!.

keep up the good work

Kevlar69

MSgt. Shooter Person

Question flipping door in the terrain

Ive been through the terrain tutorial parts 1 & 2 3 times.
    I cant get the the door thing to to work!!!

Huge holes above and below it and I just dont know what to do about it - also, in the picture, the door looks deeper then the mesh I have!! my door is much thinner!!.

I cant do it!!! im gonna go cry now - and try to stick my hair back on!

Skaarj

Hi all

Well I finally got the chance to go through the second part of the terrain tutorial last night and its so fantastically well written... gold star and 2 house points to Noctivagus

Anyway, for CurlyJ and others having trouble lining up the arch-way into the terrain Ive got a work around. I had a look at some of the maps from in the game and what they do in those maps is they cheat! The use bsp geometry to create a nice large flat face that intersects with the ground and then just plonk the arch-way or door onto that. Take a look at December at the bottom of the dry dock where theres doors going into the indoor bits.

I know this isnt what Noctivagus was getting at, but it ended a lot of frustration for me.

MegaDaisy

PS Skyboxes next please Mr Noctivagus

legacy-donka

Another Bump.

You can download this tutorial in it's entirety from my site in either Word doc or PDF fotmat:

http://www.donka.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Thanks to Noctivagus for this great tutorial and also Worf for doing the embedded conversions.

legacy-SANGOOR

Atlast I can build my first map ever....
    Thank u soo much

legacy-GORENOX2003

Time for skyboxes eh? :up:

legacy-varIant

I think this post should be stickied...anyone else agree? Also, Noctivagus, you /should/ consider contacting a publisher about making this into a nice beginner's tutorial for mapping with Unreal Editor 3.0. These tutorials are easy to follow, contain many pictures with explanations, and cover many of the things users like to see/know. Think about it for when you've finally finished all of them (I know I'd purchase it).

Skaarj

Originally posted by varIant
    I think this post should be stickied...anyone else agree? Also, Noctivagus, you /should/ consider contacting a publisher about making this into a nice beginner's tutorial for mapping with Unreal Editor 3.0. These tutorials are easy to follow, contain many pictures with explanations, and cover many of the things users like to see/know. Think about it for when you've finally finished all of them (I know I'd purchase it).
    HHHmmmm hardback copy.... sounds good to me
    I've already printed all the Tut so far and put it in a nice folder.

MSgt. Shooter Person

You've heard this so much but I also want to thank you for your tutorials! Especially the terrain parts. I tried to follow the UDN terrain tutorial but the editor kept crashing on me. Your tutorial worked perfectly! Again, thanks so much

legacy-GORENOX2003

Pezman please make this a sticky.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Ok.. Got a question..
    When i make a intrance from the terrainroom to the other rooms, i can see the rest of the level right trough the walls with the fake backdrops.. How do i stop that?

legacy-Showtime

I just can´t wait for the tutorials about placing enemies, Pathnodes and gametypes.

Awesome tutorial *!*

legacy-mthomas935

These are great Thanks (One on making good water would be nice too)

MSgt. Shooter Person

Originally posted by MegaDaisy
    Hi all

Well I finally got the chance to go through the second part of the terrain tutorial last night and its so fantastically well written... gold star and 2 house points to Noctivagus

Anyway, for CurlyJ and others having trouble lining up the arch-way into the terrain Ive got a work around. I had a look at some of the maps from in the game and what they do in those maps is they cheat! The use bsp geometry to create a nice large flat face that intersects with the ground and then just plonk the arch-way or door onto that. Take a look at December at the bottom of the dry dock where theres doors going into the indoor bits.

I know this isnt what Noctivagus was getting at, but it ended a lot of frustration for me.

MegaDaisy

PS Skyboxes next please Mr Noctivagus
    Thanx I will give that a go!!

legacy-Noctivagus

Originally posted by MegaDaisy
    Okay...confession time. Yeah, I actually backed the door with a BSP brush, which was just a cube with another brush to subtract the walkway area. Then, as many of you experienced for yourselves, it's impossible to make a doorway fit perfectly with the removed parts of the terrain. To fill the holes, I surrounded the doorway and brush with rock meshes from ArboreaLandscape. I had to make a couple of them smaller using the sizing options on the bottom right of the UED screen, both for cosmetic reasons (a little variability in the rock) and to patch some of the smaller holes. I guess I should've been a little more clear on that in the tutorial...oh well, one more thing to add to my update list.

Noctivagus

Redeemer

yah, sky box chapter would be good, focusing on the tricks of setting them up and removing those naughty seams.

likewise, a step through doing movers would be good, since the UDN site isnt quite right.

set key0 to base
    set key1 to base
    set key2 to moved position

that's how i was able to do it, which is very counter intuitive (in that key0 ends up base and key1 ends up the moved position).

legacy-Noctivagus

Default 2 New Tutorials!!

Hey folks,

There are two new tutorials for you to check out.

The first tutorial is written by Kosh and covers how to create an animated, fading preview for your levels. You can check it out at http://www.planetunreal.com/architec..._tutorial.html .

The second tutorial covers movers and lifts, written by Rob Nelson. It's the first part of a two-part series and includes how to create a lift, add bot support, and give it some sound. Check it out at http://www.planetunreal.com/architectonic/lifts.html .

Both of these tutorials are excellent and cover topics that many of you have asked about. (And, it saves my fingers a little more from potential carpal tunnel syndrome )

Enjoy!

Noctivagus

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast