Thread: Swearing

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Tieno360

Default Swearing

This game is so violent, over the top, full of testosteron and raw power, I hope there's some nice swearing in. It'd fit in really well, I think. Like when you're in some heated battle and one of your mates who's spraying Locust full of lead is saying 'BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED [EDIT]" or something less/more cheesy. Or like someone else mentioned in a thread "Yipi kaye [EDIT]", or like Rambo "[EDIT] 'em"
    It's M-rated so it shouldn't really be a problem, or is it? Not that it needs to be in abudance and all the time, but a nice placed swear can add some power or satisfaction to a kill.

One of the things I really loved in Halo and Halo2 was the regular voice feedback you were getting from your enemies (especially the grunts) and your marines. It's very immersive.

Rule 2:

Be respectful to other members! It is our goal to create a clean forum for the discussion of Epic’s games. Cursing, swearing, personal attacks or retaliations are not welcome here and will not be tolerated.

-Frank
    Last edited by Frank the Avenger; 05-23-2006 at 05:47 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

well i'm expecting it to be rated as an 18 (i live in the UK) as i see lots of dismemberment, gore and guts. it wouldn't feel as real if there wasn't the occasional word. if a beasty the size of my house smashes through the floor (much like at the end of the first level) i expect my team to react accordingly, as i would

"[EDIT], [EDIT]ing run!"

something like that will do me nicely !!!!

Rule 2:

Be respectful to other members! It is our goal to create a clean forum for the discussion of Epic’s games. Cursing, swearing, personal attacks or retaliations are not welcome here and will not be tolerated.

-Frank
    Last edited by Frank the Avenger; 05-23-2006 at 05:49 PM.
    The Locust be comin'!

Time to get mah boomshtik!!!

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: OwningLegend1

I dont think that would be such a good idea.
    I WILL OWN YOU

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Sebaz747

Yea. I agree. not a good idea.
    Gamertag. Sebaz747.

Iron Guard

Watch the language, folks.

MSgt. Shooter Person

sorry bout the language man.
    The Locust be comin'!

Time to get mah boomshtik!!!

Palace Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zoso Fan

There is swearing. Ive heard the "S bomb" and the "A bomb". I think its great but hopefully it wont be to over the top!
    www.GEARHEADSOFWAR.com

The way GEARS was meant to be played... with gearheads.

A rated MA game with gratuitous violence involving cutting someone's chest open with a chainsaw, BUT OMG DON'T SAY DIRTY WORDS!!!! And since this forum is associated with a rated MA game...

WTF? I hope there is lots of swearing.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HydratedPinkus

not over the top swearing. Every [blah] sentence shouldn't [blah]ing be filled with [blah][blah] swearing. [blah]! But if it's used at a point like "What the [blah] is that big thing?" when a boss comes up, then it's all good.

Palace Guard
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by SkateXer99
    not over the top swearing. Every [blah] sentence shouldn't [blah]ing be filled with [blah][blah] swearing. [blah]! But if it's used at a point like "What the [blah] is that big thing?" when a boss comes up, then it's all good.
    Exactly, i want to play gears, not the Osbournes! (that is another crappy joke by myself) I still do think they should have the occasional S bomb or maybe the very contrialversal F bomb. Just as long as its used tastefully. Like in Scareface and predator (well... more predator than scareface!)
    www.GEARHEADSOFWAR.com

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Skot
    A rated MA game with gratuitous violence involving cutting someone's chest open with a chainsaw, BUT OMG DON'T SAY DIRTY WORDS!!!! And since this forum is associated with a rated MA game...

WTF? I hope there is lots of swearing.
    but,
    don't forget that these are public forums and the game sould only be sold to people that fit the rated MA.

I've never been a big fan of swearing in video games. It sounds so out of place for some reason. Take F.E.A.R for example. Whenever my roommate played it I swear I heard the F-bomb every 10 seconds. That's not what a game should be. But with GoW, I could stand a s*** here and a d*** there, but no reason for the F-bomb, IMO.
    Corporate accounts payable, Nina speaking. Just a moment...Corporate accounts payable, Nina speaking. Just a moment...
    Corporate accounts payable, Nina speaking. Just a moment...Corporate accounts payable, Nina speaking. Just a moment.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: chron1caust

Idk, usually I dont sware when I play games and i get close to do something really hard and then i die or something goes dramatically worng I say s***
    Gears of War WILL RULE!!

Palace Guard
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by King84
    I've never been a big fan of swearing in video games. It sounds so out of place for some reason. Take F.E.A.R for example. Whenever my roommate played it I swear I heard the F-bomb every 10 seconds. That's not what a game should be. But with GoW, I could stand a s*** here and a d*** there, but no reason for the F-bomb, IMO.
    I noticed that with F.E.A.R. also!
    www.GEARHEADSOFWAR.com

I think F.E.A.R. did a great job with the swearing. Its not some fairy tale with pixie dust and flying care bears its a game with people being nailed to the wall and getting limbs torn off by shrapnel. If its in a war setting dropping the F-bomb once in a while depending on the scenario is completely justifiable. Nudity and swearing are far less offensive than people dying.
    Private Joker: "Are those... live rounds?"

MSgt. Shooter Person

I think the problem is that people look at violence as the fake part, its the 'game' part of the game. You don't see people getting stapled to walls by giant metal spikes in slow motion in real life, and I think alot of people understand that it is imaginary for the most part. When people hear swearing they suddenly pull out of the experience and go hey, that's a bad word. That's the problem though, people shouldn't even notice the swearing. It should all blend into its own imaginary game world. If you're under fire from an enemy and your best friend just received a bullet wound to the head and slumped up next to you, then a tank appears around the corner and blows the side of a building apart, if someone yells some sort of profanity it doesn't seem out of place. It's probably a bit muffled, you can still hear it but it sounds as if it's there for ambience, not so the designer can say "Hey, I used a curse word in my game, did ya hear it??". FEAR was a great game in my opinion but now that i think of it alot of the swearing was overdone. It was fine the first time I heard the AI do it. I was like rad that guy swore at me. Then a few hours later it lost its touch a bit, and subconciously I was like shut the hell up, just shut up and let me kill you, stop acting so surprised and shouting at me. I think if it's implemented in a nonchalant fashion and is warranted then it's twice as effective. If it just sounds lame with no profanity in the given situation, fine add in some salty language to make it believable right, but it doesn't need to sound like a ten year old who heard the F word and is intent on fitting it into every sentence to show everyone how cool he is.
    "If you get lost in the woods, **** it, build a house! I used to be lost, but now I live here! I have severely improved my predicament!" -- Mitch Hedberg R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Metal Jacket
    I think F.E.A.R. did a great job with the swearing. Its not some fairy tale with pixie dust and flying care bears its a game with people being nailed to the wall and getting limbs torn off by shrapnel. If its in a war setting dropping the F-bomb once in a while depending on the scenario is completely justifiable. Nudity and swearing are far less offensive than people dying.
    Yes, if I were in a situation where my comerades were getting shot I would probably be swearing and dropping a few F-bombs. But as I sit here, playing (I guess in this case I was watching and listening) a game in which all the A.I. can say is "Oh f***", I find it rather repetitive and uncreative. I don't play games to hear characters drop F-bombs whenever I start shooting. It would get old really quick.
    Corporate accounts payable, Nina speaking. Just a moment...Corporate accounts payable, Nina speaking. Just a moment...
    Corporate accounts payable, Nina speaking. Just a moment...Corporate accounts payable, Nina speaking. Just a moment.

Palace Guard
    Gamer IDs

Snake, at the bottom of your post i thought you were talking about the kids on the TonyHawk XBL servers!
    www.GEARHEADSOFWAR.com

Iron Guard
    Over the hills and far away. Also known as Norway.
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: x Tyven x

Personally, swearing is something I tend to ignore in a video game, in RL too for that matter. When I focus playing and listen to what they say, I don't think to myself "Oooh my god, he said the F-word! What would his mother think!", I just don't put such a heavily weight on it as others do. Who said the game will contain an insane ammount of swearing anyway?
    From the underground comes
    The End

MSgt. Shooter Person

There will be enough swearing to put a salty sea captain in his place I assure you. That is, not enough to show up a salty sea captain, but just to put him in his place. Which is to say there will be enough language to padlock an M rating on the game. Which is to say, don't you love my analogies?
    "If you get lost in the woods, **** it, build a house! I used to be lost, but now I live here! I have severely improved my predicament!" -- Mitch Hedberg R.I.P.