Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blender to UDK rigging guide/ tutorial

Spoof
    Morph targets appear to be working fine too. I only did a quick test, but they imported without a problem.

slowJusko
    Tutorial is up, for what its currently worth : Tutorial: Blender to UDK Player Model.

Probably make a dedicate thread for it.

@spoof: I'm not sure if you know this, but being an Aussie, your nick name can have a completely different meaning :P
    Barring that, have you got a website or email I can link to?
    I've recently began using your `trace idea (better then my setup) and I like to have who deserves credit/should be contacted in the actual file.
    Habit.
    Also, if my computer blows up because of it, I can send you vague threats...

Spoof
    Lol... I am aware of it. I've known a few Aussies in my time, even an amorous encounter with a Kiwi. But enough of that!

Don't worry about credit, I won't have a website up until later this year. I prefer to stay one step ahead of unsatisfied customers

Spoof
    Regarding the forward/up axis settings for export, I'm of the opinion they are useless unless you intend to import the FBX into Max/Maya.

I did some tests and, while they affect the FBX file itself (viewable with the FBX conversion toolset), UDK just re-transforms them anyway. I may be missing something, but I haven't noticed any difference between the settings. I leave it on the default now.

One other thing, it's important to select "Import Tangents" (or bOverrideTangents), especially if the mesh isn't triangulated. Without it UDK will calculate it's own normals for each triangle which can produce smoothing artifacts. Import Tangents will use the face normals directly from Blender (it's the skeletal mesh equivalent of bExplicitNormals for static mesh import).

slowJusko
    I had the same experience regarding forward/up and UDK, hence only mentioning "Use TOAs Ref Pose".
    I should also mention the "Include Default Take" options relation to "Use TOAs Ref Pose".
    Not experienced enough with model or animating properly to know what "Import Tangents" etc means.
    Two things to update already.
    Yay.. or something.

@pixxie_payne: Is this the kind of information you need or were you looking for how to actually rig and create animations (which I am yet to write about)?

Spoof
    These are two of the best rigging tutorials for blender. Well worth watching, about an hour for each.

http://www.blenderguru.com/videos/in...ion-to-rigging

http://cgcookie.com/blender/2011/12/...acter-rigging/

slowJusko
    I can highly recommend the first one.

Can't comment on the second - haven't seen it (yet).

Spoof
    Just a note regarding the only export deformer bones option.

It appears non-deformer bones that are parents to deformers (or otherwise embedded in the deformer chain) will still get exported regardless of their deform setting. So for advanced setups it's probably still necessary to separate the deformation and animation hierarchies within the armature.

slowJusko
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoof View Post
    It appears non-deformer bones that are parents to deformers (or otherwise embedded in the deformer chain) will still get exported regardless of their deform setting. So for advanced setups it's probably still necessary to separate the deformation and animation hierarchies within the armature.
    Another thing to add.
    Thank you for the heads up.

letoast
    I'm sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have a question I need answered about custom characters with a custom rig that imitates the UDK character rig.

I'm using Blender to do this.

So I named all of the bones how they should be named, I parented the bones to their respective parents(like in the UDK character rig), I weighted the character and then exported it using the FBX exporter. Everything went well, except that the character is rotated on it's back and all of the animations are messed up. Even though I weighted it correctly. It seems as if UDK is stretching my bones and rotating them, because they aren't the same size as in the default UDK character rig. Even though I went through all of the steps and completed them successfully, something went wrong.

Any suggestions?(especially aimed at you, slowJusko, because you managed to complete this successfully )

Thanks so much,

toast